詹姆斯 你是我的长子
James, you are my first boy…
可以名正言顺地继承你父亲的财产
blessed by law to inherit your father’s wealth.
对你弟弟有点同情心
Be sympathetic to your brother.
他和不幸的默里小姐一样
Like the unfortunate Miss Murray…
良好的出身和空空的口袋让他别无选择
good family name and empty pockets will only get him so far.
玛布尔是奴隶吗
Is Mabel a slave?
你说什么
I beg your pardon?
玛布尔是奴隶吗
Is Mabel a slave?
她是自♥由♥人 受我们保护
She is free and under our protection.
就像我一样
Oh, like me.
她和你不一样 黛朵
Hardly, Dido.
并且有体面的工资
And paid a very respectable wage.
那个欺诈案怎么样了 爸爸
How is the fraud appeal, Papa?
欺诈
Fraud?
海上保险 那是个欺诈案 不是吗
The marine insurance. It is a fraud case, is it not?
这取决于你在跟谁说话
It depends on who you speak to.
杀掉你的”货物”
To cull your ‘cargo’?
仅仅是想获得赔偿金
Solely to claim insurance…
因为货物们病得太厉害卖♥♥不出好价钱
because it was too diseased to achieve a good price at market…
如果这不是欺诈 那是什么
if not fraud, then what?
你是在以我的名义说话吗
Do you speak on my behalf?
你们能闭嘴吗
Will you please stop!
这种粗俗的话题不适合在早餐讨论
This is a vulgar subject to discuss at breakfast.
我昨天听说 达文尼尔先生来镇上了
I learned yesterday… Mr. Davinier is in town.
怪不得黛朵说话开始这么像他了
I’m not surprised Dido is beginning to sound very much like him.
抱歉
Excuse me.
我有幸见过你收养的女孩
I had the pleasure of laying eyes on your adopted girl.
你抚养了一位如此可爱的年轻女士
You have raised a lovely young lady
我了解到你遵循着有趣的准则来抚养她
and though I understand she is kept under
她也提出了疑问
interesting rules, she raises questions.
她此时出来交际
Her introduction to society
正赶上保险诉讼案的关键时刻
comes at a key time in the insurance appeal.
国会担心
Parliament is nervous that the situation
你家里的情况会左右你的判断
in your family will color your judgment.
我不会为此有压力的
I will not have pressure put on me,
无论是家里的还是外界的
either from the inside or the outside.
你是英国的最高法官
You are the highest judge in the land.
在你身上他们看出
In you they see a man who is
你既有信念又有能力
of the persuasion and the power to bring down
打击本时代最大的贸易
the greatest trade of our
以及这个国家商业状况
time and the commercial health of this country.
有的人会说
Some will say that, next to our King,
你是全英国仅次于国王最有权力的人
you’re the most powerful man in England.
但这些人也会问 你
And the same will ask how you,
我们的首席法官 是公正的吗
our Chief Justice, can be fair?
我们的生活自有一套规则
There are rules in place which dictate how we live.
若非如此
If that were not the case…
我就没有权利
I would not have had the mandate
收养我侄子的女儿
to give shelter to my nephew’s daughter.
她是他的血脉 也是我的
She is his blood and mine…
完全有权在我家里长大
and is rightfully entitled to be brought up on the family estate.
如果法律支持桑格号♥上的奴隶主们
If the law supports the Zong slave owners…
就像黛朵·蓓尔身上
as strongly as Murray
流着默里家的血一样千真万确
blood runs through the veins of Dido Belle…
那么毫无疑问 保险公♥司♥将必须赔偿
then make no mistake, the insurers will be forced to pay.
我相信你
I believe you.
我还需要和你商量另一件事情
I, uh, have reason to speak with you on another matter.
什么事
Yes?
我希望
I have a wish to seal the
我们两家能够联姻
bond between the Ashford and Mansfield names.
最后到底怎么样了 玛丽阿姨
Whatever did happen in the end, Aunt Mary?
你的那位绅士朋友
With your gentleman friend.
他终生未娶
He never married.
疾病缠身许久之后
He died last year…
去年过世了
after a long illness.
玛丽阿姨
Oh, Aunt Mary.
抱歉
Pardon me.
阿什福德先生来找你 小姐
Mr. Ashford is here for you, miss.
哪一位阿什福德先生
Which Mr. Ashford?
你什么都不用担心
You need worry about nothing.
你♥爸♥爸那边已经同意了
Papa has been dealt with.
琳赛小姐
Miss Lindsay.
奥利弗先生
Mr. Oliver.
我想
I think…
我知道
well, I know…
我们两个很般配
that we make a rather good match.
父亲已经为我在海军买♥♥了一个上校职务
Father has purchased me a commission in the Navy as Captain.
剩下的只是
All that remains…
我没法给你下一任阿什福德夫人的头衔
Uh, I cannot offer you a title for the next Lady Ashford…
那头衔属于我哥哥的妻子
well that title must fall to my brother’s wife.
我想说的是
What I’m trying to say is, uh…
我可以 毫无疑问
is I can, without doubt…
给你属于奥利弗·阿什福德夫人的一切
offer you all that is due to Mrs. Oliver Ashford…
相信你乐意接受这一点
and trust that this will be acceptable to you…
因为我将会非常乐意
since it would very much be my privilege…
非常荣幸地问你是否愿意成为我的妻子
my honor, if you would agree to become my wife.
我看不见
I cannot see!
天呐
Good Lord.
阿什福德夫人
Mrs. Ashford.

I…
没法
cannot…
-你们在干嘛 -别说话 伊丽莎白
– What are you doing? – Quiet, Elizabeth.
没法想象出任何
cannot think of anything…
比这更美好的事情了
more wonderful.
她答应了
Oh! She has agreed.
妈妈 我们订婚了
Mama, we are engaged.
亲爱的
Oh, my darling.
这是件好事 对吗 妈妈
It is a good thing, is it not, Mama?
这是件非常好的事
Oh, it is a wonderful thing.
黛朵
Dido.
怎么了
Yes?
有任何给我的口信吗
Was there any message for me?
没有 贝蒂
No, Bette.
但我相信过不了多久就会有了
But I’m sure it won’t be long.
这是一种怎样的感觉呢 黛朵
What does it feel like, Dido?
订婚
To be engaged?
完美 贝蒂
Perfect, Bette.
完美
Perfect.
爸爸
Papa?
谢谢你
Thank you.
今天我们有许多家要拜访 伊丽莎白
We are to make many calls today, Elizabeth.
结识最般配的绅士
Acquainting oneself with the
可不是件轻松的事
most eligible gentlemen is not light business.
我们不该等一两天 等等詹姆斯先生吗
Should we not wait a day or two… for Mr. James?
伊丽莎白 给你一句忠告 别等任何男人
Elizabeth, a word of advice. Wait for no man, dear.
你和我们一起来吗 黛朵
Will you join us, Dido?
学生政♥治♥团体 保险公♥司♥之痛
黛朵
Dido?
我今天早上头晕得厉害 妈妈
Oh. I am terribly light-headed this morning, Mama.
如果你不介意的话 我想去休息一会儿
I should like to take rest, if it would not displease you.
不舒服 我们正准备宣布你的好消息呢
Oh, dear. Unwell? And just as we’re about to announce your news.
爸爸
Papa.
让我看看你的笑容 走吧
Let’s see that smile. Come along.
哈利 哈利 我需要你的帮助
Harry. Harry, I need your help.
-我需要你带我去个地方 -一个人吗
– I need you to take me somewhere. – Alone, miss?
不是一个人啊 我不是和你一起吗
I shall not be alone. I shall be with you.
这是匿名的
This is written anonymously.
我有份名单 上面是还没表明阵营的人
I have a list of those who have not yet indicated their position.
是达文尼尔先生吗
Mr. Davinier?
达文尼尔先生
Mr. Davinier.
琳赛小姐 我…

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!