I really need your help Frankie.
你知道你是这个家里读写能力最好的人
You know you’re the best writer and reader in the family?
我知道
Yes.
我试着给艾莉丝写信 我也说不清该怎么写
I’m trying to write to Eilis, and I want it to be, I don’t know …
你之前不是写过了吗 大概五封信
You wrote before already. About five times.
是的 弗兰基 但是它们都不够好
Yeah, but they are no good Frankie and …
而且她只回过一次信
And she’s only written back once.
她之前从未读过我写的东西 我怕她看了会嫌弃我
She’s never read my writing before. I’m worried I’m putting her off me.
听着 我才八岁 我才不懂你们亲亲的事
Listen, I’m eight years old, I don’t know anything about kissing.
你不需要知道这些事情
You don’t need to know anything about kissing.
你只需知道拼写 还有
You need to know about spelling and…and…
-语法吗 -没错 你帮不帮我看
-Grammar? -Yeah, Will you look?
亲爱的艾莉丝 我希望你在爱尔兰一切安好
Dear Eilis, I hope that you’re doing well in Ireland.
我希望你的母亲没那么伤心了
I hope that your mother is feeling less sad.
你的朋友很快就会完婚 你就能回到这里了
It will not be long before your friend gets married and you can come home.
这一周好像全世界的地下室都发了大水
This week it is like the whole world’s basements are flooding.
我修了三家 我一直在努力工作攒钱
I fixed three. I’ve been working hard. I’ve been saving money.
大家都时常向我问起你
Everybody asks me about you all the time.
你单词拼错了 少了一个E
You missed out the “e” I think. It is “everybody.”
这大概就是我所有的新鲜事了吧
Anyway, I think that is all my news.
我的父母还有兄弟们都问你好
Mom and dad and all my brothers they all say hello.
我每时每刻都在思念着你
I think about you most minutes of most days.
甚至当我在看道奇队的比赛时
Even when I go see the Dodgers.
我心思都不在球赛上
I do not concentrate on the game.
爱你的托尼
With love, your Tony.
你没有上发油
No hair oil.
还有这不是休闲外套 这是运动夹克
And that’s not a blazer, it’s a sports jacket.
吉姆·法瑞尔 你是不是穿上了伪装
Have you come out in disguise, Jim Farrell?
你是想诱骗我吗
Are you trying to trick me?
当你说我们那群人是一路货色的时候 我明白你的意思
I knew what you meant, when you said we’re all the same.
或许在你看来 我生活地非常容易
It made me think that my life must seem very east to you.
接管父亲的酒吧 住在父母的房♥子里
I run my father’s bar, going to live in my parents’ house.
我能想象到外人是怎么看待这一切的
I know what that must look like from the outside
但其实并不是那样
But it doesn’t feel like that.
那是什么样的
What does it feel like?
我从没去过任何地方
I’ve never been anywhere.
我甚至都没到过英格兰
I have never even been to England.
我想去看看 伦敦 巴黎 还有罗马 纽约
But I’d like to see London, and Paris and Rome. New York.
一想到我这辈子可能都踏不出爱尔兰 就觉得可怕
It frightens me, the idea of dying without ever leaving Ireland.
当然还有些别的事情
And there are other things too …
抱歉 我想问你很多事
I’m so sorry. I wanted to ask you a thousand things
但我却一直在说
and all I’ve done is talked.
没事 我喜欢听
I am glad.
-真的吗 -真的
-Really? -Yes.
你能快点抽完你那破烟 然后过来坐下吗
Will you finsh that wretched pipe and sit with us?
我在这儿也听得一清二楚
I can hear perfectly well from where I am.
我们可不是来给你提供娱乐节目的
We are not here to provide you with entertainment.
别担心 很多年前我就明白这个道理了
Oh, don’t you worry. I found that out many years ago.
艾莉丝 你别理他 反正吉姆像我 不随他
Just ignore him, Eilis. It’s as well Jim takes after me, but him.
你大声点
Speak up!
你们期待搬家吗
Are you looking forward to your move?
我会想念恩尼斯科西的
Ah, I will miss Enniscorthy.
但是格伦布里恩是个美丽安宁的地方
But it’s lovely and quiet in Glenbrien.
我妈担心我一个人在这
My mother’s worried about leaving me here on me own.
她怕我会毁了这地方
She thinks I’ll destroy the place.
我希望你不要单身一辈子
I’m hoping you won’t be on your own forever.
我相信他不会的
I’m sure he won’t.
我的意思是
I mean…
-今天天气真好不是吗 -是个好天气
-God, aren’t we blessed with this weather. -It’s lovely.
亲爱的托尼 感谢你的来信
Dear Tony, thank you for your letters.
我想要你知道
I want you to know that…
我不知道我想跟你说啥
I don’t know what I want you to know.
我不想坐在很后面的位置
I don’t want to be sitting right at the back.
我会确保你们坐在教堂最好的位置
I’ll make sure you get the best seats in the house.
但是坐在南希和乔治边上也很奇怪
Oh, it wouldn’t feel right sitting up there with Nancy and George.
那我们就坐在教堂内第二好的位置上
We’ll find the second best seats in the house then.
我先去为你们留个好位置可以吗 蕾西太太
Would you like me to run ahead and save you a couple of places, Mrs. Lacey?
不麻烦你吗吉姆 那真是太好了
Would you mind Jim? That would be grand.
-真是一位绅士 不是嘛 -没错
-Such a gentleman, isn’t he? -He is.
他在最合适的时间出现在我们身边
He came along at just the right time for us.
南希 我诚邀你在这教堂里宣誓 在上帝的见证下
I invite you now Nancy, to declare before God and his church …
成为乔治的妻子
your consent to become George’s wife.
我发誓 无论顺境还是逆境
I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad,
无论疾病还是健康 我都会爱着你
in sickness and in health. I will love you
尊重你 在我生命的每一天
and honour you all the days of my life.
拿戒指来
The rings.
主啊 请赐福这对戒指 戴上这对戒指的新人
Lord, bless these rings, grant that those who wear them
能永远对彼此忠诚
may always be faithful to each other.
愿他们遵从神意 和睦相爱
May they do your will and live in peace with you, and mutual love.
请遵从主的圣意 阿门
We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen.
阿门
Amen.
艾莉丝 听你妈说
Your mother tells
你在这儿过的很好
me things are working out for you very well in Enniscorthy, Eilis.
婚礼仪式办得很好
It was a lovely service.
听说法瑞尔夫妇就要搬去格伦布里恩 吉姆就…
And Mr and Mrs Farrell are moving out to Glenbrien, so Jim will…
是的 我知道
Yes, I know.
吉姆和我答应要带我妈回车上
Jim and I promised my mother we’d take her back to the car.
哦 听到了吗 吉姆和我 吉姆和我
Oh, do you hear that? “Jim and I! Jim and I!”.
听你这么说 感觉好事将近了呢
It won’t be long now, by the sound of it,
你妈妈一定会很开心
and your mother will have a wonderful day out.
抱歉 我先走一步
Will you excuse me?
我们能谈一谈吗
Can we talk?
-关于什么 -关于未来
-What about? -The future.
我不能一句话不说就让你回美国了
I can’t let you just go back to America without saying anything.
这样的话 我会后悔一辈子的
I’d regret it for the rest of my life.
所以我想说 我不想让你走
So, I don’t want you to go.
我想你留在这里 和我在一起
I want you to stay here, with me.
我知道这意味着 我要问你另外一个问题
And I know that means asking you another question,
我并不想吓到你
But I don’t want to bombard you.
所以我决定迟一些再问你
So I’ll save that one for later.
谢谢你
Thank you.
我很感激 也很受宠若惊
I’m grateful. And I’m flattered.
-就这些了吗 -不
-That’s all? -No.
当然不是
No, of course not.
只是
It is just…
我想象的是完全不同的另一种生活
I’d imagined a different life for myself.
我理解你
I understand.
但是你在这的生活 也可以一样好
But your life here could be just as good.
甚至是更好
Better,even, maybe.
玛丽
Mary!
我是来请你去一趟的
I was just coming to fetch you.
为什么要叫我去
To fetch me?
我已经不在凯莉夫人那里工作很久了 玛丽
I haven’t worked for Miss Kelly for a long time, Mary.
拜托了 艾莉丝 她说让我不接到你就别回去
Oh, Please come Eilis. She told me not to come back without you.
你知道她是什么样的人
You know what she’s like.
玛丽 我上楼和艾莉丝谈话的时候你替我照看一下店
You look after things for five minutes while I’m upstairs with Eilis,
就五分钟
please, Mary.
这个时候店里没什么顾客
There are no customers in there at the moment,
我觉得你应该不会搞得太糟
so I don’t think you can make too much of a mess of things.
所以 你近来如何呀
So. How have you been getting on?
谢谢凯莉夫人 一切都很好
Very well, thanks, Miss Kelly.
我听说你在戴维斯那工作
I heard that you’re working over at Davis’s?
在会计部门
In the accounts department?
是的
That’s right.
我听到很多关于你和吉姆·法瑞尔的流言蜚语
And there’s lots of talk about you and young Jim Farrell.
你知道人们就热衷于说三道四
Ah, well. You know what people are like. They love to talk.
这倒是真的 你还记得布雷迪太太吗
Yes. Do you remember Mrs. Brady?
她以前常在周日早上来店里买♥♥些熏肉片
She usually comes into the shop on Sunday morning for her rashers.
不记得了吗 看来你现在过的很繁忙啊
No? Well, you have a very busy life now.
一桩接一桩
What with one thing and another.
布雷迪太太有个侄女住在布鲁克林

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!