Mummy has stopped shopping at Nettles Kelly’s.
你知道的 她的面包不怎么新鲜
As you know, her bread wasn’t always fresh.
东西都太贵
And she overcharge for everything.
人品还不好
And she’s awful.
我没当面告诉她 没这个必要
I haven’t told her to her face.There’s no need.
她自己知道她的东西贵 又不新鲜
She knows that she overcharges and her bread’s not fresh.
当然我们每天都谈起你
We talk about you every evening, of course.
我们想知道关于你的一切
We want to know everything.
你一定很忙 但即使你的信有两百页这么长
I’m sure you’re busy, but even if your letters were two hundred pages,
你的母亲也会觉得不够长
they wouldn’t be long enough for your mother.
照顾好自己 爱你
Take care of yourself. Love.
你这几天月事来了吗
Is it your time of the month?
那你是怎么了
So what is it?
去员工室休息一下吧
Take some time off now. Go and sit in the staff room.
对不起艾莉丝 都怪我不好
I’m so sorry, Eilis. This is all my fault.
我以为你不再需要人照看了
I was led to believe that you didn’t need looking after.
弗兰科·巴尔托奇说你工作很棒
Franco Bartocci says you are doing great here.
玛·凯赫说你是她见过最好的房♥客
Ma Kehoe says you are the nicest lodger she’s ever had.
-怎么了 -你叫她玛·凯赫吗
-What? -Ma Kehoe?
千万别当面这么叫她
Don’t ever call her that to her face.
我已经忘了背井离乡的滋味有多苦
I’d forgotten just how bad it feels to be away from home.
我帮你在夜校报了名
I’ve enrolled you in a night class.
布鲁克林大学学记帐
For book-keeping. The Brooklyn College.
每周三次
It will be three nights a week.
第一学期的学费也帮你付了
And I’ve paid your tuition for the first semester.
-为什么 -干嘛问为什么
-Why? -“Why?”
你应该谢谢我啊
Not “Thank you”?
对不起 谢谢你 但是为什么呢
Sorry, thank you. But why?
我很吃惊像你这样聪明的人
I was amazed that someone as clever as you
在家乡居然找不到好工作
couldn’t find proper work at home.
我在这儿呆了太多年了
I’ve been here too long.
都忘了爱尔兰啥样了
I forget what it’s like in Ireland.
所以当你姐姐写信告诉我你的事
So when your sister wrote to me about you
我就说教会会想办法帮忙的
I said that the Church would try to help.
反正布鲁克林需要多些我们爱尔兰女孩
Anyway, we need Irish girls in Brooklyn.
真希望我能停止想回家的冲动
I wish that I could stop feeling that I want to be an Irish girl in Ireland.
我能告诉你的是 这种感觉会过去的
All I can say is that it will pass.
思乡病和其他毛病一样
Homesickness is like most sicknesses.
它让人难受 但终究会转移到其他人身上去
It will make you feel wretched, and then it will move on to somebody else.
泰勒诉标准燃气公♥司♥案
Now, Taylor versus Standard Gas Co
是过去二十年内最高法♥院♥审判的
is one of the most important corporate cases
最重要的商事案件之一
decided in the Supreme Court in the last twenty years.
它推动了了「深石原则」的确立
This was the case responsible for the Deep Rock doctrine,
它可以说是子母公♥司♥法领域的里程碑
so it’s maybe the biggest milestone in parent-subsidiary law.
仅在公用事业整合的进程中
In public utility integration proceedings alone
就有成千上万的投资者
literally thousands of investors
因此受到影响
may be affected by its application.
你听得懂他说的这些吗
Did you understand any of that?
随便哪部分
I mean, a single word?
他都不用照着书念
He’s not even reading from a book.
全在他脑子里
He just knows all this.
希望接下来的内容会简单点吧
Well, Let’s hope the next hour is easier.
在美国火鸡是毁掉圣诞节的众多事物之一
One of the things that ruins Christmas in America is the turkey.
像在吃木屑
It all tastes of sawdust.
那麦克亚当小姐就吃芝士三明治
So that’s one cheese sandwich for Miss McAdam,
她那份火鸡就分给大家了
and extra turkey for everyone else.
姑娘们 矜持点
Ladies, please.
艾莉丝 弗洛德神父把你的圣诞安排告诉我了
Eilis, Father Flood told me about your Christmas plans.
你不会要给无家可归的老年人发放午饭吧
Oh, you’re not serving lunch to the old fellas who’ve nowhere to go, are you?
神父每年都请我们去 我们从来不去
He asks us every year. We always say no.
艾莉丝 你真是个圣人 那些人体味很大的
Ellis, you’re a saint. They smell awful.
希拉知道他们有体味因为她要找的老公就在他们中间
Sheila knows how they smell because that’s where she goes husband-hunting.
艾莉丝 你做的很好 很仁慈
It’s a marvelous thing you’re doing, Eilis. A Christian thing.
真希望有更多像你这样的人
I wish there were more like you.
请进
You can come.
大概会来多少人
How many are we expecting?
去年来了百来号♥人 今年可能更多
There were a hundred last year. There may be more this.
-都是爱尔兰人吗 -是的
-They all Irish? -All Irish.
他们为什么不回爱尔兰呢
Why don’t they go home?
如果你这样年轻有才的女孩都没有发展空间
If there’s nothing there for a clever young girl such as yourself,
他们这样的人就更没有生存可能了
there’s gonna be even less for men like these.
有些人来了快五十年了
Some of them have been here fifty years,
和老家都联♥系♥不上了
they have lost touch with everyone.
圣诞快乐
Happy Christmas.
你好
How are you?
-圣诞快乐 -谢谢
-Merry Christmas. -Thank you.
就是他们这些人
These are the men who built …
造了隧♥道♥ 大桥 公路
the tunnels, the bridges, the highways.
没人知道他们现在靠什么生存
God alone knows what they live on now.
不好意思要打扰下大家
I don’t want to interrupt the proceedings,
不过我相信大家都想谢谢
but I’m sure you’d all like to show your appreciation
辛苦了一整天的女士们
to all the ladies here for their hard day’s work.
为表谢意
And by way of a thank you,
有位非常棒的歌♥手要为我们献上一曲
we have a great singer in the room with us today.
有请弗兰基
Frankie.
来客厅喝一杯吧
Would you like to come into the front room for a glass of something?
你应得的
You’ve earned it.
-你挺过来了 -嗨 也没那么糟啦
-You survived! -Oh it wasn’t so bad.
-圣诞快乐 -干杯
-Happy Christmas! -Cheers.
麦克亚当小姐要搬走了
Now Miss McAdam is leaving us.
她去曼哈顿和姐姐一起住
She is going to live with her sister in Manhattan.
她住的是最好的一间房♥
She has the best room in the house.
就是地下室 那儿有独♥立♥的门
The basement. And it has its own entrance.
我只让某类女孩住地下室
Now, I can only let a certain kind of girl stay there.
我指的不是长相
Oh, and I’m not talking about looks here.
尽管我承认上天给麦克亚当小姐的长相
Although I will admit that God did give Miss McAdam an advantage,
在我考虑让谁单独住在地下室的时候成了优势
when I had to think about who I could trust to live down there.
艾莉丝你和她不同 你是漂亮女孩 但你也明事理
No no, you’re a pretty girl Eilis. But you’re sensible.
所以地下室给你住 就这么定了
So, you’re having the room and that’s that.
其他女孩不会有意见吗
Would the other girls not mind?
她们肯定有意见 不过她们对什么没意见呢
Oh, I expect so. What don’t they mind?
姑娘们 你们会带桃乐丝去周六晚上的舞会吧
Girls, you’ll take Dolores to dance with you on Saturday night, won’t you?
有舞会吗
There’s a dance?
在教区礼堂
At the parish hall.
不提供酒精饮料 不过你不需要那东西也能玩的挺开心
There’ll be no alcohol, but you can have fun without it.
帕蒂和我这周不去跳舞
Umm, Patty and I aren’t going this week.
我们去看电影
We’re going to see a movie instead.
看电影桃乐丝肯定也乐意吧
Well, I’m sure Dolores would enjoy a movie just as well.
我很喜欢的
I would, very much.
纽约的电影比卡文那儿多多了
There are so many more movies here in New York than in Cavan.
是啊 完全没想到 本以为该是完全相反呢
Yes, surprising, isn’t it? You’d think it would be the other way around.
欢迎你和我们一起去看 桃乐丝
Of course, you’d be welcome to join us, Dolores.
只要你不介意当电灯泡
So long as you don’t mind being a gooseberry.
这么说你俩都在几天里
So you both miraculously found boyfriends
奇迹般地找到男朋友了对吧
over the last couple of days, did you?
我祝福你们这回不要再重蹈覆辙了
Well, I hope you have more luck with these than you did with the last few.
-你去舞会吗 艾莉丝 -我会去的 凯赫夫人
-Will you be going, Eilis? -Yes, Mrs Kehoe.
那你带着桃乐丝吧
Well, you can take Dolores, then.
没问题
Of course.
天哪 这儿人好少哦
God, there’s nobody here.
人都没有怎么找对象啊
How are we supposed to get a fella if there’s nobody here?
大部分人九点之后才来吧
I expect most people will come after nine.
来人还是男人
People? Or fellas?
总会来些男人啊
Some of the people will be fellas.
好想认识个男人啊
I’d love to meet a fella.
她们还是来了 两个骗子
They came! The liars!
真是一对贱♥人♥
What a pair of bitches.
老太婆就是这么叫她们的 她说她们都是贱♥人♥
That’s what the old woman called them. She said they were all bitches,
除了你
apart from you.
你好啊
Well hello.
见到你们真好

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!