Yeah.
也就是说 你丈夫的死亡
Moore: So your husband’s death
让他们获利150万?
made them $1.5 million richer?

Mm-hmm.
他们因我丈夫的死亡而获利
I know it’s not right for them to try to profit
是不正当的
from my husband’s death.
当我明白是怎么回事儿的时候
When I first realized what was happening,
我开始怀疑一切
I was in disbelief.
真的让人很痛心 – 太遗憾了
It’s hurtful. – I’m so sorry.
呃…
Um…
让人心痛 我想要个说法
it’s hurtful and I wanted answers.
Irma联♥系♥了Michael D. Myers
Moore: Irma contacted Michael D. Myers,
当地的一名律师 他已经对
a local attorney who had already been looking into
企业保险政策展开调查
these kind of corporate insurance policies on their employees.
一般的人寿保险 你为你挚爱的人
With the normal use of life insurance, where you’re guarding against
或家中的顶梁柱投保
the loss of a loved one or a breadwinner of the family,
你不希望被保人死去
you don’t want that person to die.
正因有这些政策 公♥司♥会通过政策预测
With these policies, the companies that buy these
买♥♥下这些保险
want the employees to die
并希望员工死去
in accordance with the policy projections.
对于公♥司♥来说 你死去的价值比你活着更大
You are more valuable dead to a company than alive.
美国礼品公♥司♥ 当纳利父子公♥司♥ 宝洁公♥司♥
American Greetings, RR Donnelly & Sons, and Proctor & Gamble
都有员工死亡问题
are all having problems with mortality.
这四个公♥司♥的死亡率都是
These 4 combined programs are running at 50%
预期死亡率的50%
of expected mortality.
他们非常清楚这一问题
These clients are acutely aware of this problem.
然而这里 经纪人还在抱怨
Basically here the broker is complaining
员工死得不够多
that not enough employees are dying.
因此投资收益还达不到他们的预期效果
And therefore the investment returns are not matching the projections.
经纪人在此写出
The broker writes that NCC is running
NCC正在努力冲破78%死亡率
at 78% of expected mortality.
也就是说 他们希望78%的人死亡
Okay, so 78% of the people we expected to die died.
但问题是3%的人是自杀
But the problem with that is 3 of them were suicides.
你不能每年都指望这个
And you can’t count on that every year.
那你觉得在其他什么情况下
Moore: Can you think of any other situation
你会真的希望有人死亡?
were you’d actually want people to die?
我觉得 战争中的士兵吧
Combatants in war, I guess.
你什么时候会想让人死亡?
Wow, when do you want people to die?
我… 不知道
I-I don’t know.
战争情况下 恐♥怖♥主♥义♥
War situations, terrorism situations.
嗑药 这些吧 我不知道
Drug trials, perhaps. I don’t know.
不知道 这问题太变♥态♥了
I don’t know. That’s an odd question.
我不明白这种东西怎么会合法
Moore: I didn’t understand how any of this could be legal.
毕竟法律还禁止我
After all, there’s a reason that there’s a law
购买♥♥你房♥子的火灾险
prohibiting me from taking out a fire insurance policy on your house
因为一旦你房♥子被烧毁 我就受益了
because I have a vested interest in your house burning down.
既然Myers律师已经研究这个这么多年了
Since Attorney Myers had been researching this for years,
我就问他都有哪些公♥司♥
I asked him which companies were profiting
正从这些保险中获益
from these insurance policies.
我不知道 你也不知道
I don’t know, you don’t know,
因为 你根本无处可查
because there’s no place you can go and find out
你所属的公♥司♥是否买♥♥了这类保险
whether your company is a purchaser
就你所知的都有哪些?
of these types of products. – Which ones do you know?
我们现在知道被泄漏出来的有
The ones that we know that have slipped out are
美国银行 花旗银行
Bank of America, Citibank,
沃尔玛 温迪克斯百货 宝洁
Wal-Mart, Winn-Dixie, Proctor & Gamble,
麦道 好时
McDonnell Douglas, Hershey,
雀巢 美国电♥话♥电报公♥司♥ 西南贝尔
Nestlé, AT&T, Southwestern Bell, Nestl? AT&T Southwestern Bell,
美瑞泰克 美国运通…
Ameritech, American Express–
你说的这些都是蓝筹企业啊 – 没错
This is blue chip you’re talking about. – Yeah.
那些没什么信誉的公♥司♥怎么不尝试这种诡计
These aren’t fly-by-night companies trying to do a scam here
这样的话 如果他们有员工死亡 就能拿到支票了
so they can collect a check if one of their employees dies.
大概有几百万美国人
There are probably several million Americans
目前拥有或者曾有过这种保险
who are covered by one of these policies or have been at some point.
有很多人
There’s a lot of it out there.
这位是Paul Smith
Moore: This is Paul Smith.
他过去是个众所周知的忠诚员工
He used to be what is known as a loyal employee.
我在沃尔玛工作了18年 为之倾尽全力
Smith: I worked for Wal-Mart for 18 years and I gave them 110%.
我是说 我非常爱它
I mean, I loved that company.
但结果却是
And as it turned out, Wal-Mart took out
沃尔玛根据等级和档案配置
over 350,000 life insurance policies
购买♥♥了35万多员工的人寿保单
on rank and file associates.
这些人都不是管理层
These weren’t executives.
而是像我妻子这样的仅工作了18个月的蛋糕奶油工
These were people like my wife, a cake decorator for 18 months.
他们专挑这类员工下手
That’s the type of people they were taking insurance policies out on.
Paul的妻子LaDonna辞去了沃尔玛蛋糕房♥的工作
Moore: Paul’s wife LaDonna left her job at the Wal-Mart bakery
全职在家照顾两个孩子
so she could be a stay-at-home mom for her 2 kids.
她的哮喘非常非常严重
Smith: She had asthma real real bad.
有天半夜进了急救室
She went into the emergency room one night
一个护士过来问我 “你是Smith先生吗?”
and a nurse comes out and says, “Are you Mr. Smith?”
我说 “是”
And I said, “Yes.”
然后她说 “你妻子不一定能撑过去”
And she said, “We don’t think your wife’s gonna make it.”
LaDonna这次昏迷之后
Moore: LaDonna slipped into a coma
就再没醒过来
from which she would never awaken.
她的家人全部赶到医院
Her family rushed to the hospital,
尽管他们根本无能为力
even though there was nothing they could do to help.
这儿有面墙
There was a wall here and LaDonna’s in the room
LaDonna就在墙那面的房♥间里
on the other side of the wall.
Jessica不断地问 “她在哪儿?”
And Jessica kept saying, “Where is she?”
我就说 “她就在墙的那边”
And I said, “She’s right on the other side of that wall.”
Jessica说 “我们可不可以在墙上凿个洞?
And Jessica said, “Can we cut a hole in the wall
那样就能看到她了”
so that we can see her?”
就是这种信念支撑着我
And that just sticks with me.
还记得吗?
Do you remember that?
我们要留在那儿陪着她 所以我们就给她写信
Smith: We had to stay in there with her, and so we’d write letters to her.
“我的宝贝老婆 任何话语都表达不出我对你的思念
“My dear wife, I miss you more than any words can possibly say.
你是我的一切
You are my life.
无论多简洁的衣服 穿在你身上都那么美
You always see beauty in the simplest things.
总是把我迷得神魂颠倒 我真后悔那时候没再多夸夸你
I’ve always admired you for that. I wish I could have told you that more.
好想你能快快回到我身边
I want you to come back to me soon.
还有好多东西等着你教我 我的洋娃娃
I still have a lot left to learn from you, baby doll.
爱你的老公 Paul”
Your loving husband, Paul.”
你还好吗 Wesley?
You okay, Wesley?
她才26岁
She was 26 years old.
小笨笨 小笨笨
LaDonna: You’re silly. You’re silly.
死者越年轻 获得的赔偿就越高
Myers: The younger a person is, the higher the benefit is
因为他们本该活得更久才对
because they’re expected to live longer.
而且女人还应该比男人活得更长些
Women are also expected to live longer than men.
对于公♥司♥来说 最值钱的员工
So the most valuable employee to the company
就是死去的年轻女人
if they’re dead, is a young woman.
LaDonna的死
Moore: LaDonna’s death earned
给全世界最富有的企业之一
one of the richest corporations in the world
带来了8万1千美元的额外收入
an extra $81,000.
我却要面对超过十万美金的医疗费账单
I was faced with over $100,000 worth of medical bills
和一个6000美元的葬礼
and a $6,000 funeral
沃尔玛连一个子儿的补助都没给
and Wal-Mart didn’t offer a penny to help with that.
我从前是那么相信他们
I did trust them.
这辈子我也没想过
And never in a million years would I have ever thought
会在一个利润表上看到
that somewhere on a profit statement,
“死亡结算 81000美元”这种字样
“Dead associate, $81,000.”
沃尔玛根本没把员工当人
Wal-Mart doesn’t care about you.
人都死了
When someone passes away,
他们真不该用这个来赚钱
they shouldn’t get something out of it.
所有保险范围的共同点就是
Myers: The common denominator to each form of coverage
一旦员工死了
is that when the employee dies,
雇主就能获得保险赔偿金了
the employer gets paid the insurance benefits.
他们经常被称为是”已故农民保险”
They’re often referred to as “dead peasant insurance.”
已故农民? 为何给他们安上这么个怪异的名字?
Moore: Dead peasants? Why’d they use such a creepy name?
确实够怪异 我也弄不懂这是什么意思
Myers: It’s very creepy. I don’t know what it means either.
已故 这个很清楚了
Dead is clear.
指死去的员工 所以说是已故

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!