Yes, we’re gunging you up again.
除了练习找笑脸之外
So as well as the smiley faces,
我还一直在做正念冥想
I’ve also been doing mindfulness meditation.
不得不说 那更具有挑战性
I have to say, that is more challenging,
坐在那里
just sitting there,
-除了听着呼吸 什么都不做 -对
– not doing anything, sort of just listening to your breath. – Yes.
确实 当时间差不多持续了20分钟
Certainly, when it came to the kind of 20 minutes,
我发现自己大约16分钟后就会
I would find myself sneaking a look at my watch
偷偷看手表
after about 16 minutes.
这些事和我以往所做的事完全不同
Just doing it was so not what I normally spend my life doing.
好的 你觉得乐观些了吗
OK, do you feel any more positive?
确实是的 感觉更愉快了
I think I do, actually. I’m feeling… I feel more cheerful.
首先 小组会测量我静息时的大脑不对称性
First, the team measure my cerebral asymmetry while I’m resting.
七周前 我右额叶皮层的活跃度
Seven weeks ago, I had nearly three times more activity
比左侧强将近三倍
in my right frontal cortex than my left one,
这是悲观者的一个显著指标
which was a striking indicator of pessimism.
接下来 我要再次进行表情测试
Next, I’m repeating the test with the faces,
观察我的反应时间有没有改变
to see if my reaction times have changed.
七周前 我在出现愤怒表情时
Seven weeks ago I was much quicker to hit the button
按键速度快很多
when an angry face appeared.
现在还会是这样吗
Will that still be true?
我只能隐约意识到脸出现了 但是
I’m vaguely conscious there are faces appearing, but…
无法说清
..couldn’t tell you.
实际上完全不可能
It’s actually completely impossible
说清究竟是怎么做到的
to tell how you’re doing on this.
那么 七周的心理训练
So, have seven weeks of mental training
让我的大脑发生了可测量的改变吗
made any measurable difference to my brain?
-太棒了 真♥相♥时刻到了 -是的 没错
– Great, moment of truth, then. – Yes, exactly, yes.
好的 我们已经得到了结果
OK, well, we’ve got the results here,
你可以看见 蓝色的…
and as you can see here, the blue…
首先 我得到了
First, I get the results
表情测试反应时间的结果
for my reaction times to the face test.
七周前 我对笑脸的反应要比愤怒脸
Seven weeks ago, my reactions to the happy faces were much slower
慢很多 但这次的结果逆转了
than the angry ones, but this has now reversed.
我对笑脸的反应速度快了很多
I’m much quicker to react to happy faces.
这表明我在日常生活中可能会
This suggests I may be noticing the positive more
更注意积极的一面
in my everyday life.
现在你可以看到结果完全反过来了
And now you can see this has flipped completely.
当笑脸出现时你的反应更快
You’re now faster when there was a happy face,
-比较起来… -的确改变了
– compared to… – So it really has made a difference.
我很惊讶 结果出来时真让人印象深刻
I’m amazed. I’m just impressed that it comes up with the results.
-是的 还有 -你测量的是
– Yes, and again… – You’re measuring things
非常微妙和迅速的变化 不是吗
which are unbelievably subtle and speedy, aren’t they?
的确是 看一下这些反应时间
Well, they really are, and if we look at the reaction times,
单位是毫秒 所以我们讨论的并非巨大差异
it’s milliseconds, so we’re not talking about huge differences.
-这不是秒 是毫秒 -千分之一秒
– It’s not seconds, it’s milliseconds. Yeah, – thousands of.
所以你的意识是察觉不到的
So you consciously wouldn’t really be aware of that,
但实际上 这对大脑反应时间非常有意义
but actually, in brain time, that’s actually quite meaningful.
我的结果只是个例 但它与其它研究相符
Mine is just one result but it fits in with studies
都显示了这种技术
which suggest that this technique
可以降低消极倾向和焦虑
can reduce negative bias and anxiety.
我大脑不对称性的改变也很让人欣喜
And the changes in my cerebral asymmetry are also fascinating.
我右额叶皮层的活跃度
The activity in my right frontal cortex
已显著降低
has significantly reduced,
显示在向积极的心理状态转变
which suggests a shift towards a positive mental state.
我猜测 即便我们不能将它们真正分割开
And my suspicion is, even though we can’t really separate them,
但我猜测正念冥思起了更重要的作用
my suspicion would be that this is more driven by the mindfulness
因为有很多证据通过测量表明
meditation, because there’s a lot of evidence showing that
正念冥想非常强大 非常有效
with these measures, mindfulness is very powerful and very effective.
最初你表现为一个
So, initially, you were showing a very
典型的悲观者
typical pattern of pessimist.
-现在你更像是个典型的乐观者 -是的
– Now you’re showing a much more typical pattern of an optimist, – Ok
看来你的大脑已经在向着
so it looks like your brain has
乐观的方向慢慢转变了
shifted in a slightly more optimistic direction.
所以心理真的可以发生改变吗
So you really can change your mind?
是的 可以 但并不简单
Yes, you can, and it’s not easy.
我很高兴 但真正难的是要坚持下去
‘I am pleased, but the real challenge is to keep on doing it.’
妙极了 这真让我开心 谢谢你 真棒
Fantastic. That’s absolutely made my day. Thank you, brilliant.
我现在就出去庆祝一下
I shall go off and celebrate now.
我非常欣喜 也很吃惊
I’m absolutely delighted and also I’m frankly astonished
短短七周就能看到这么大的改变
that in just seven weeks you can see that much change.
我本打算看看我是否能改变自己的心理
I set out to see if it’s possible to change my mind,
现在看来我也许成功地做到了
and I think I may well have done it.
我真是激动不已
I am absolutely thrilled.
毫无疑问 我们都希望少一些焦虑
Undoubtfully that wanting to be less anxious
多一些乐观
and more optimistic,
我发现生活事件可以使大脑发生深层的
I discovered that life events can lead to deep, long-lasting
持久的 可测量的变化
and measurable changes in our brains.
但我也发现我们的性格
But I’ve also discovered that our personalities
比大多数人想象的更具可塑性
are more malleable than many of us think.
消极的思想会主宰你的生活
Negative thoughts can dominate your life.
但我无疑再次找到了
But I certainly have found something
值得高兴的事情
to be cheerful about again.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!