谢谢 这真是…
Thank you, it’s been absolutely…
真的很有趣 谢谢您
It has been genuinely fascinating. Thank you.
罗斯的情绪显微镜确实暴露了
Ros’s emotional microscope has certainly exposed
大多数人试图隐藏的感受
the sort of feelings that most of us try to hide.
我也确实很惊讶
And I was really surprised
因为我觉得我应该是很冷静的
because I thought I would be the cool one
紧张的人应该是她
and she would be the nervous one,
然而结果却完全相反
but actually it turned out to be the absolute other way round.
我其实并不感到紧张
I didn’t actually feel nervous
但很明显我体内却是马力全开
but clearly my system was firing on all cylinders.
我想要改变
And these levels of heightened anxious arousal
这种高度焦虑唤醒的水平
are something I want to change,
尤其因为它可能是过去20年
not least because it has probably contributed
致使我慢性失眠的罪魁祸首
to making me a chronic insomniac for the past 20 years.
好的 天啊
OK, oh, dear.
我最近几个晚上
I’ve had a spectacularly
睡得非常糟糕
bad run of nights recently.
昨晚到四点还没睡着
Up at about sort of 4 o’clock last night.
你可以看到我的眼袋
You can probably see the bags under the eyes.
那我们看看今晚会怎么样
And, um, let’s see how tonight goes.
希望比昨晚好一些
I hope it’s better than last night.
晚安
Good night!
现在已经四点半了 我还很清醒
Yeah, it’s 4:30am and I’m wide awake.
许多想法在我脑子里翻腾
Lots of thoughts racing through my head
我想我应该起床 坐一会
and so I thought I’d get up and sit around a bit.
我要去尝试两种能减少负面情绪
I’m going to try two different techniques, which have been shown
和压力的新技术
to reduce negativity and stress.
为了详细了解第一种技术
To learn more about the first technique,
我回到了艾塞克斯大学
I’ve come back to Essex University.
福克斯教授通过大脑测试测量了我的悲观程度
Professor Fox’s brain test measured my levels of pessimism
但她本人非常乐观 她相信
but being a very positive person herself, she’s convinced
她不仅能帮到我
that not only can she help me,
还能让我们看到大脑的变化
but we’ll see changes in my brain.
她推荐我
She introduces me
进行认知偏差矫正
to cognitive bias modification – CBM.
其实这很简单
Basically, it’s very simple.
按下开始键 你就会看到一批人脸图像
If you just press ‘start’ there, you’ll see an array of faces.
你只需要在笑脸上点击就行
Now, your task is simply to click on the happy face.
-好的 笑脸 -对 继续这么做
– OK, OK, happy. – Yeah, and then just keep going, basically.
要找到他们还真不容易 是吧
Blimey, it’s quite difficult to find them, isn’t it?
对 只要找到笑脸
Yeah, so just find a happy face.
关于认知偏差矫正已开展了许多研究工作
There have been many studies of CBM
研究对象涉及数千人
involving several thousand people.
这个原理是通过训练自己寻找积极面
The idea is you reduce your unconscious negative bias
来减少潜意识中的消极偏向
by training yourself to seek out the positive.
好了
OK, whoo!
不 不在那里
No, he’s not down there.
到那边看看
Let’s go across down there.
我只需要找到笑脸
I simply have to spot the smiley faces.
这能有多难呢
How hard can that be?
当你看到这个要求时 会觉得简直太简单了
You think when you look at it, it’s going to be dead easy but actually …
是的 实际上难度远超你想象
That’s right, it’s more difficult than you imagine
这告诉我们消极表情非常吸引注意力
and it shows us how distracting the negative faces can be.
我很喜欢笑脸 你知道的
I do actually like the smiley faces, you know,
然而我显然更易被黑暗面吸引
and yet I’m obviously drawn to the dark side.
是的
Yes.
你的思维很明显已经习惯
Your brain has obviously got into a habit
关注事物的消极面了
of looking on the negative side of things,
我们需要做的就是
so what we’re trying to do really
进行认知偏差矫正
with this cognitive bias modification
来真正打破这种习惯
is to really try to break that habit.
通过对大量个体的研究
The majority of people who have been studied
显示它可以明显减少人们的消极偏向
showed a significant reduction in their negative bias.
我得说 如果这方法是有效的
I have to say if it works, then the beauty of this is
那么美妙之处就在于 你在家里用电脑
you can absolutely see you can just do it
就能完成
on your computer at home.
这绝对是个好主意
Absolutely, and that’s the idea.
我们最终期待人们将它当做一个
What we’re hoping eventually is that people can almost use this
小充电器 也就是说当你发现
as a little top-up. It’s like, you know, if you feel
自己有些消极情绪
you’re in a particular negative mood,
可以花十分钟做矫正
you can do ten minutes of this
然后你就能重振旗鼓
and you know it can kind of just boost that bias.
好吧 我仍有怀疑 不过我一定会
OK, I remain sceptical but I will certainly,
我一定会试一下
I will certainly give it a go.
伊莱恩设置好了 我能在家一周做三次
Elaine set it up so I can do this at home three times a week.
在哪里 有时真的很气人
Where is it? Sometimes it’s really, really annoying,
我就是找不到它们 找到了
I just can’t find them. Aha! OK.
我超常发挥了
Yeah, I’m on a roll.
我几乎是在让潜意识工作
I’m just kind of letting my unconscious do the work,
理想情况下 我都不需要思考
and, ideally, I just kind of don’t even think about it.
我实在不懂这会有什么帮助
I have absolutely no idea whether this is helping
我不相信我真的有长进
but I’m not convinced I’m actually getting any faster.
你在哪 你在哪
Where are you, where are you? Ah!
这看起来出奇简单
It looks incredibly simple.
但是有证据显示
But there is evidence
虽然对抑郁没用 但这会对抗焦虑
it will combat anxiety, though not depression.
倾向于沉溺在自己的想法里
One of the things that undoubtedly adds
无疑是增强
to my feelings of anxiety
我焦虑感的原因之一
is my tendency towards self-absorption.
我很少享受当下 着眼当前
I’m rarely enjoying the moment, being in the present.
反而在担心过去
Instead, I’m off worrying about the past
担忧未来
and stressing about the future.
这是一个非常普遍的问题
This is a very common problem
它让许多人痛苦不已
and it’s making a lot of us miserable.
于是我去寻找更多信息
So, I’m off to find out more
关于第二个可能有效的技术
about a second technique that may help.
我感觉自己被消极情绪所裹挟
I feel like I’ve got caught in the sort of negative rut
难以自拔
of ruminating,
我已经花了很多时间在实验室
and I’ve spent a lot of time now visiting labs,
学习了脑部科学的知识 可说来奇怪
learning about the science of the brain but, oddly enough,
现在我要去拜访一位曾经的僧人
where I’m going now
向他寻求解决的方法
in search of solutions is to visit a former monk.
不同宗教的信徒练习冥想
Followers of different religions have practised meditation
已有数千年历史
for thousands of years.
当然 做冥想有许多不同的方法
There are, of course, many different ways of doing meditation,
包括世俗的版本
including secular versions.
今晚的老师 安迪·普迪科姆曾是位僧人
Tonight’s teacher, Andy Puddicombe, was once a Buddhist monk.
他现在教导现代人接受古老的理念
He now teaches a modern take on an old idea.
现在请在座各位想想自己是否有睡眠问题
Now, take a moment to think who here struggles with sleep.
不少人有 对吧
Quite a few of you, right?
当你上♥床♥ 真的需要睡眠时
When you’ve gone to bed and you really need to sleep, OK,
你怎么引导自己
what’s the temptation?
再努力一点 对吧
To try a little bit harder, right?
然后你变得有些紧张了
And then you start to get a little bit tense
因为你还没睡着 所以你更努力
because you’re not falling asleep, so you try even harder,
然后你意识到自己为了入睡用力过猛了
and then you realise that you’re trying too hard to get to sleep
所以你努力让自己别努力入睡
so you try not to try to get to sleep,
所以我们可以在这里花时间
so there’s a time and a place
回头想想 你知道吗
for stepping back and saying, you know what?
睡眠与是否尽力无关 冥想也是如此
It’s not about effort. Meditation’s the same.
你不能强迫自己进入放松状态
You can’t force a state of relaxation.
这是乐事 不是工作 懂吗t
This is a treat, it’s not a chore, OK?
你每天挤出十分钟时间 啥也别做
This is you taking ten minutes out of your day to do nothing,
完全不做任何事
nothing at all.
这是一个多么难得的机会
It’s such a rare opportunity.
每天花十分钟对我来说不是难事
Ten minutes out of my day is not a huge commitment.
所以 我很有兴趣多了解一些
So, I’m certainly interested enough to want to find out more.
我是个慢性失眠患者 早上三点就醒
I’m a chronic insomniac, I wake at 3 in the morning
许多想法在我脑子里不停打转
and I have loads of thoughts racing through my head.
我花了15年时间研究睡眠
I have spent 15 years looking at sleep.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!