我至少做过三套睡眠治疗方案
I have made, you know, at least three programmes on sleep.
我几乎知道所有关于睡眠的知识
I know pretty much everything there is to know about sleep
但这些并无用处
but it doesn’t make any difference.
新的科学研究显示即使一天十分钟
The science that’s coming out is showing that actually even ten,
安迪·普迪科姆
十五分钟或二十分钟
15, 20 minutes a day, that’s enough to make not only
已经足以让你
a psychological difference
从身体到心理都发生改变
but a physiological difference as well.
在过去的20年里
Over the past 20 years,
有很多研究
there have been lots of studies
探讨了冥想的好处
of varying quality into the benefits of meditation,
得到了相当矛盾的结果
which have produced rather conflicting results.
但最近出现了更严谨的研究
But, recently, there have been more rigorous studies,
研究中使用了脑扫描仪 使科学家们
involving brain scanners and these have allowed scientists
能看到冥想时大脑内部的情况
to see what’s happening inside the meditating brain.
有证据表明 长♥期♥冥想者的
There is evidence of changes
大脑中会发生改变
in the brains of long-term meditators.
即便是仅做了短短八周的初学者
Even novices doing it for just eight weeks
也出现了一些变化
showed some differences.
一项研究中发现 调节情绪
In one study, there was increased grey matter
相关区域的灰质增加了
in areas involved in emotional regulation,
处理正面情绪的
and increased activity in the left pre-frontal cortex
左前额叶皮层的活动增加
that deals with positive emotions.
虽然还在初期 但这些证据已经表明
It’s early days, but the evidence is certainly mounting
定期冥想可以产生生理变化
that regular meditation can lead to physiological changes.
如果真那么容易 为何没有更多人参与呢
If it is that easy, why haven’t more people done it?
是啊 应该这么说 不能说这很简单
Yeah. And this is the thing. I wouldn’t say it’s easy.
应该说这个理念很简单
I’d say the idea is easy, OK?
这种方法 就像是减肥
The application, like anything, it’s like losing weight,
要去健身房♥
going to the gym.
我们仍需要身体力行
We still need to actually do it
坚持每天做 然后再看结果
and we have to do it on a daily basis to see the results.
据我所知 所有人
There is nobody I know
都会从更关注当下中获益
who wouldn’t benefit from being more present,
可以获得更多平静 有更清晰的感知
having a greater sense of calm, a greater sense of clarity,
最终在生活中获得更大的满足感
and, ultimately, a greater sense of contentment in life.
-六到八周够吗 -够了 是的
– Is six to eight weeks enough? – It is enough, yeah.
六到八周内就可以看到
You could actually see changes possibly in my brain pattern
-我大脑的变化吗 -绝对可以
– in six to eight weeks? – Absolutely.
所以 该让我自己来试试了
So, it’s time to give it a go myself.
我要试着通过把注意力集中在呼吸上
I’m going to try and calm my brain down by simply focusing
使大脑平静下来
on my breathing
减少消极思维的干扰
and being less distracted by my negative thoughts.
我还得努力保持清醒
And I have to try and stay awake.
请先体会自己
I’d like you to begin by just noticing
在椅子上的重量
the weight of the body on the chair
从头顶开始
and just starting at the top of the head,
温柔地向下扫过身体
I’d like you to just gently scan down through the body,
去体会身体的哪个部位感觉轻松
just noticing which parts of the body feel relaxed
哪个部位感觉有些紧绷或紧张
and which parts feel perhaps a little tense or tight in some way.
如果有念头出现 这完全正常
Then, if thoughts arise, that’s perfectly normal.
允许你的念头来来去去
Allow thoughts to come and go.
一旦你意识到自己分心了
As soon as you realise the mind’s being distracted,
就轻轻地把注意力带回来
just gently bring the attention back again.
按照自己的节奏 当你准备好了…
And, in your own time, when you’re ready…
你可以轻轻地再次睁开眼睛
You can just gently open the eyes again.
好的 有多少人感觉
OK, so how many of you feel better
比十分钟前好一些了
than you did ten minutes ago?
真是惊人
OK. It’s amazing.
这里实实在在发生了变化
There’s a tangible thing happening here.
我们训练意识 我们将更多关注当下
We train the mind, we will be more present,
我们的意识不再飘荡 压力会减小
our mind will wander less, we’ll get less stressed
这样就不太会
and we’re less likely
习惯性背负压力 焦虑和悲伤
to go down those routes, those habitual paths
无论将来会发生什么都没关系
of stress, of anxiety, of sadness, whatever your thing may be.
真的非常棒 因为我本来怀疑
That was good actually, because I wondered
我不会进入任何一种状态
whether I would be able to get into any sort of a state,
我感觉还有些笨拙
and I feel a little bit heavy-limbed
但也感觉比刚进去时
but I also feel perhaps a little bit
放松了些
more relaxed than when I went in,
我在乐观与悲观之间
and I veer wildly between
左右摇摆
optimism and pessimism,
一部分的我觉得能够做好了
so that part of me thinks that I’m going to manage to do this
而另一部分的我又觉得
and part of me thinks
这事太难了
it’s simply going to be too hard.
但此刻 乐观占了上风
But, at the moment, the optimist is winning out.
为了能够达到效果 我必须
To give this a decent chance of working, I have to commit
每天做冥想 从十分钟渐增到二十分钟
to doing it every day, building up from ten to 20 minutes.
我要把它与认知偏差矫正结合起来
And I’m going to combine it with cognitive bias modification.
七周后 我将再次进行脑部测试
In seven weeks, I’ll get my brain re-tested
看看我是否真的改变了我的心理
to see if I’ve really managed to change my mind.
好的
Ok.
但在我进行的同时
But, while I do that,
我想努力解决一个更深层的问题
there’s a deeper question I’m grappling with.
乐观倾向或悲观倾向
Where does a tendency towards being optimistic or pessimistic,
平静或焦虑究竟从何而来
calm or anxious, come from?
我曾是个快乐的孩子 无忧无虑
I was a happy child, carefree even.
是的 那就是我
So, yeah, there I am.
我不是 不知道我是否看过这录像
I’m not… Don’t know if I’ve ever seen this.
想不起来了
It doesn’t ring a bell.
这肯定是菲律宾 因为我大约
OK, so this is definitely the Philippines because I was there
两岁至五岁间就在那里
when I was about, between the age of two and five.
这是我母亲
And there’s my mother, right.
我母亲看起来可真是年轻
She looks ludicrously young, my mother.
我问她对我小时候的印象
I asked her about how she remembered me from childhood
她说我那时很单纯
and she said that I was uncomplicated,
特别好相处
that I got on with things,
挺开朗 挺友好的 看着这些录像
I seemed to be open and friendly and, looking at this footage,
我的童年看上去很快乐
it certainly looks like I had a happy childhood.
坐在秋千上荡来荡去
Just on a swing, rocking to and fro.
这里有我们很多照片
There are lots of pictures of us here.
但几乎没有我父亲的任何照片
There aren’t really any pictures of my father here.
有我母亲的照片
There are pictures of my mother,
但我父亲总是在工作
but my father was always working.
在我们童年里他几乎是缺席的 几乎不露面
He was never really around in our childhood, very little.
在性格方面 我父亲是一个开朗外向的人
In terms of personality, my father was a jovial extrovert,
而我母亲有些犹豫和保守
while my mother was a bit more uncertain and reserved.
像所有人一样 遗传基因的组合
Like everyone, I came to be who I am today
以及人生的各种经历
through some combination of the genes I inherited
造就了今日的我
and the events I’ve experienced throughout my life.
天啊
Oh, dear!
我觉得自己和三岁的时候
I feel I am so utterly different to what I must have been like
太不一样了
at the age of three or so.
我看起来真快乐
I look so cheerful.
有许多相当宏伟的理论
There are a lot of rather big theories
阐述了性格是如何缔造的
about how personality comes about
但我在寻找尖端科学
but I’m in search of cutting edge science.
我从伦敦的圣托马斯医院开始着手
I’m starting at St Thomas’s Hospital in London
多年来 这里的研究小组一直在分♥析♥
where, for many years, a research unit has been analysing
探索一个非常特殊的群体 双胞胎
and probing a very special group of people – twins.
双胞胎是大自然的奇迹之一
Twins are one of nature’s wonders.
同卵双胞胎拥有相同的DNA
Identical twins share the same DNA.
他们经常衣着统一
They often dress the same,
外表相同
look the same,
对相同的笑话捧腹
laugh at the same jokes.
研究深入观察了数百对双胞胎
And so, hundreds of twins have been scrutinised to understand
探究遗传和环境之间微妙的相互作用
the subtle interplay of nature and nurture.
必须承认 和一群同卵双胞胎在一起
I just think it’s absolutely wonderful, I must admit,
这感觉真是奇妙
being surrounded by identical twins.
蒂姆·斯佩克特教授研究双胞胎已有20多年
Professor Tim Spector has studied twins for over 20 years.
我想问的第一个也是最显而易见的问题是

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!