她支持我 支持我爱动物
She supported me and my love of animals.
她从来不会说 “你只是个女孩” “这种事你做不了”
She never said, “Well, you’re just a girl. You can’t do that.
“你为什么不做点其他” “有可能实现的梦呢”
Why don’t you dream about something you can achieve?”
其他人都是这么跟我说的
Which is what everybody else told me.
所以是我母亲让我建立起了自尊心
So it was my mother who really built up my self-esteem.
与大多数出生在电视 和电子游戏时代之前的孩子一样
Like most children before the age of TV and computer games,
我喜欢待在户外
I loved being outside.
在花♥园♥里的隐秘处玩耍
Playing in the secret places in the garden,
了解自然
learning about nature.
我会花很长时间待在离地面
I spent many hours high above the ground
很高的树上 那是我最喜欢的树
at the top of my favorite tree and I would read up there
我会在自己这个 枝繁叶茂的私密世界里阅读
in my own leafy and private world.
我在幻想着同泰山住在森林里的生活
It was daydreaming about life in the forest with Tarzan
这些白日梦让我打定主意前往非洲
that lead to my determination to go to Africa
去和动物生活 写出和它们有关的书
to live with animals and write books about them.
我从来没有过结婚生子的渴望
I never had any aspiration of being married and having a family.
这事不在我的考虑范围之内
It just didn’t come into my way of thinking.
我就是没想过这事
It simply wasn’t there.
去非洲 和动物生活在一起
You know, going to Africa, living with animals.
这才是占据我脑海的事情
That’s all I ever thought about.
我们家一点也不富裕
We were by no means a wealthy family,
所以上大学自然是不可能的事情
so university wasn’t an option.
但我还是想在某些遥远的地方 与动物在一起工作
But I still wanted to work with animals in some far off place.
我找到了一份服务员的工作
I got a job as a waitress.
我把工资和小费存下来 把每一分钱都存下来
I saved my wages and my tips, every penny I could…
然后去非洲
to get me to Africa.
但就算我实现了儿时梦想
But even though I was living my childhood dream,
我还是会忍♥不住担心
I couldn’t help but be concerned
因为我没法靠近黑猩猩
because I couldn’t get close to the chimps.
我不知道它们是否有一天会习惯我
I didn’t know if they would ever get used to me.
而时间在一天天流逝
And time was running out.
在你尝试研究它们的早期 是有多么挫败
INTERVIEWER: How frustrating was it trying to study them in those early days?
可能基本上都很挫败吧
It was probably mostly frustrating
因为它们老是逃走
because they kept running away.
只要黑猩猩躲着你
And while chimpanzees are running away from you,
你就没法了解它们具体的行为
you can’t really get down to the details of their behavior
我潜意识里一直在担心
and in the back of my mind it was always the fear
担心自己发现不了 某些让人激动的东西
if I don’t find out something exciting.
因为我早期的观察情况 钱会用完
The money will run out ’cause all my earlier observations
要么是离我很近的黑猩猩逃走
were either chimps close up running away,
要么就是它们坐在山峰或其他地方
or sitting on the peak or some other spot
然后我就用望远镜观察它们
and watching them through binoculars.
所以
And so, you know,
这些早期的观察明显
from those early observations it was very clear
没让我学到多少东西
that I wasn’t really learning anything much.
我在贡贝待了五个月
I’d been in Gombe for five months.
那天上午让我很挫败
It had been a frustrating morning.
我在三个不同的山谷里爬上爬下 寻找黑猩猩的踪影
I had tramped up and down three different valleys in search of chimps,
但我一只也没找到
but had found none.
很快我就发现那只成年雄性黑猩猩
I soon recognized the adult male
没有其他黑猩猩那么害怕
less fearful than the others
这只猩猩我很熟悉
whom I already knew by sight
因为它的下巴上长有明显的白胡须
because of the distinctive white hair on his chin.
和其他黑猩猩不同
And unlike the others,
它没有逃走
he didn’t run.
经过几个月不知疲倦的耐心观察后
After months of patient and tireless observation,
我终于得到了回报
I had been rewarded.
黑猩猩们接受了我
The chimps had accepted me.
渐渐地 我可以走进
And gradually I was able to penetrate further and further
这个人类从未探索过的美妙世界
into a magic world that no human had explored before.
野生黑猩猩的世界
The world of the wild chimpanzees.
亲爱的家人们 像我这样平凡的人 却在这里
做着我一直想做的事情
我在户外
睡在星空底下
观察所有的动物
这可能吗
这真的是我吗
我已接受挑战
这些高山和森林就是我的家 珍妮
我终于可以近距离观察黑猩猩了
Finally, I was allowed to observe the chimpanzees closely.
我了解到黑猩猩
I learned that chimpanzees
会花很长时间梳理毛发
spend long hours in grooming sessions.
它们就像我们一样 也需要亲密的接触
They, like us, need friendly contact
和安慰
and reassurance.
在我熟悉它们每一个时 我给它们起了名字
As I got to know them as individuals, I named them.
灰胡子大卫 它神色泰然 举止庄重
David Greybeard, with his calm and dignified personality
通常 陪伴在它身边的
and often he was accompanied
是当时地位最高的雄性黑猩猩歌♥利亚
by the top ranking male at the time, Goliath.
麦格雷戈先生 这只雄性黑猩猩 年纪比较大
Mr. McGregor, a somewhat belligerent old male,
也有点好斗
and then there was Flo,
然后还有芙洛 它长了个 圆圆胖胖的鼻子 耳朵上有缺口
with her bulbous nose and ragged ears
还有它刚出生不久的女儿菲菲
along with her infant daughter, Fifi.
当我望着黑猩猩的眼睛时
Staring into the eyes of a chimpanzee,
回望我的是一个具备 思考力和推理力的人
I saw a thinking, reasoning personality looking back.
我是在向我们那个时代最迷人的 一些动物学习
I was learning from some of the most fascinating creatures of our times.
我意识到它们全都属于一个团体
And I realized that they were all part of one group.
一个社群
A community.
我了解的情况越多
And the more I learned,
我就越意识到它们在很多方面 都很像我们
the more I realized how like us they were…in so many ways.
在上世纪60年代初期
At that time in the early 1960’s,
至少有很多科学家都认为
it was held at least by many scientists
只有人类有思想
that only humans had minds.
只有人类具备理性思考的能力
Only humans were capable of rational thought.
好在我没上过大学
Fortunately, I had not been to university,
所以我不知道这些观点
and I did not know these things.
我觉得
I felt very much as though
自己很像是在了解自己的同胞
I was learning about fellow beings
它们也会喜悦 悲伤 害怕 嫉妒
capable of joy and sorrow, fear, and jealousy.
路易斯·利基派我去贡贝
JANE: Louis Leakey sent me to Gombe
是因为他认为了解
because he believed that an understanding
野外的黑猩猩
of chimpanzees in the wild
可以让他更好地推测 我们石器时代的祖先
would help him to better guess how our Stone Age ancestors
可能会有什么行为
may have behaved.
长久以来 人们一直认为
It had long been thought
我们是地球上唯一 能够使用
that we were the only creatures on Earth
制♥造♥工具的动物
that used and made tools.
“人类 工具制♥作♥者” 这就是我们的定义
“Man, the Toolmaker” is how we were defined.
但在这里灰胡子大卫就在使用工具
And here was David Greybeard using a tool.
我很难相信自己看到的情况
It was hard for me to believe what I had seen.
几天后
A few days later,
我看得着迷了 当时猩猩们走到一个白蚁丘旁
I watched spellbound as chimps set off to a termite mound,
捡起一根带树叶的小细枝
picked a small leafy twig,
然后将上面的树叶拔掉
then stripped it of its leaves.
这是改变物体
That was object modification.
是粗制工具的开端
The crude beginning of tool making.
人类从未见过这种情况
It had never been seen before.
人类 人类与类人猿
当我用电报把这一情况 告诉路易斯·利基后
When I telegrammed the news to Louis Leakey
他回复道 “我们现在必须重新定义人类”
he responded that “We must now redefine man
“不然我们就要接受 黑猩猩也是人类”
or accept chimpanzee’s as human.”
我在贡贝的观察结果
My observations at Gombe
将会挑战人类的独特性
would challenge human uniqueness
每当有这种情况发生时
and whenever that happens
都会引起一场轩然大♥波♥
there is always a violent uproar.
人类的定义将要改变
女人
有些人试图质疑我的观察结果
There were some who would try to discredit my observations
只因我是个未受过训练的年轻姑娘
because I was a young, untrained girl
所以就该受到轻视
and should, therefore, be disregarded.
不过这一切的结果是
The result of it all, however,
路易斯从国家地理学会 获得一笔拨款
was that Louis was able to obtain a grant from the National Geographic Society
让我继续研究
to continue my study.
此外 他们还会派个摄影师过来
In addition, they would be sending out a photographer
记录黑猩猩的情况
to document the chimpanzees.
雨果·范·勒维先生
这是您与国家地理学会 签订的工作议定书