总是会有年轻的黑猩猩
And always there are the young ones
在延续这一物种的生命
that carry on the life of the species.
路易斯·利基派我去贡贝
Louis Leakey sent me to Gombe
是希望我们对黑猩猩行为的深入了解
with the hope that a better understanding of chimpanzee behavior
或许会给我们开启一扇窗户 让我们得以窥见人类过去的面貌
might provide us with a window on our past.
我们的黑猩猩研究不仅有助于
Our study of the chimpanzees had helped to pinpoint
精确解释它们与我们之间的相似之处
not only the similarities between them and us,
也能解释我们差异最大的地方
but also those ways in which we are most different.
无可否认的是 不是只有我们人类这种生物才有个性
Admittedly, we’re not the only beings with personalities,
有推理能力 有利他精神 有情感
reasoning powers, altruism, and emotions,
会受到身心折磨的生物 也不是只有我们
nor are we the only beings capable of mental as well as physical suffering.
但我们智力的复杂程度
But our intellect has grown mightily in complexity
从第一群真正的人类从猿人中 分离出来以后
since the first true men branched off from the ape men’s stalk
在两百万年间 取得了很大的进展
some two million years ago.
我们 只有我们
And we, and only we,
发展出了 一种复杂精妙的口语
have developed a sophisticated spoken language.
在进化过程中 第一次
For the first time in evolution,
有一种进化的物种能够教导后代
a species evolved that was able to teach its young
那些不是出现在当下的物体和事件
about objects and events not present,
并将我们从过去的成败中汲取的智慧
to pass on wisdom gleaned from the successes
传承下去
and the mistakes of the past.
有了语言 我们就可以询问
With language we can ask as can no other living being,
我们是谁 我们为何在这里 这是其他生物都做不到的
those questions about who we are and why we are here.
而这种高度发达的智力当然意味着
And this highly developed intellect means surely,
我们对地球上的其他生物负有义务
that we have a responsibility towards the other life forms of our planet,
我们人类轻率的行为威胁到了它们
whose continued existence is threatened
令它们难以存续下去
by the thoughtless behavior of our own human species.
当时 我的生活是完美的
My life, at the time, was perfect.
我在野外考察
I was spending time in the field.
我在写书
I was writing a book.
我有学生 所以研究有保障
I had students so the research was secure
我可以和我儿子待在一起
and I could be with my son.
我的余生都是这样子?
It was my life for the rest of my life?
我做梦都想不到会有这么好的事情
It was better than anything I dreamed of.
但我知道非洲各地的黑猩猩在消失
But I knew that the chimpanzees across Africa were disappearing.
所以这时我就意识到 我得唤醒人们的意识
So that’s when I realized that I had to raise awareness
让大家知道非洲黑猩猩的困境
about the plight of chimps in Africa
我必须要扮演的角色
and the role that I must play
就是确保下一代人
is to make sure that the next generation
会是比我们更称职的管家
are better stewards than we’ve been.
我需要把这一信息告诉全世界
And I needed to take that message to the world.
从那以后 也就是1986年10月开始
And since that time, that was October 1986,
我没有在一个地方 持续待过三周以上的时间
I haven’t been more than three weeks consecutively in any one place.
女士们 先生们 我们有请珍妮·古道尔博士
1991年 珍妮成立了“根与芽” 作为珍妮·古道尔协会的一个项目
项目旨在教导年轻人 保护自然环境的重要性
珍妮通过自己的工作启发了世界各地
数百万的儿童
葛拉在英国完成学业后 回到了坦桑尼亚
他现在住在达累斯萨拉姆 是一名出色的造船师
雨果·范·勒维余生 都在塞伦盖蒂拍摄影片
人们普遍认为
他是历史上最出色的 野生动物摄影师之一
雨果在2002年去世之前 一直和珍妮保持着密切的关系
当我回看自己的一生
JANE: When I look back over my life,
我觉得自己似乎特别幸运
it seems I’ve been extraordinarily lucky.
虽然我母亲凡安总说
Although as my mother Vanne always says,
运气只是其中一个因素
luck was only part of the story.
她一直认为成功 是靠决心和努力得来的
She’s always believed that success comes through determination and hard work
要是我们受制于人 那错处
and that the fault is not in our stars,
并不在我们的命运 而在我们自己
but in ourselves that we are underlings.
我当然认为是这样
I certainly believe that’s true.
虽然我一辈子都在努力做事
Yet though I had worked hard all my life,
但我必须承认 命运似乎也起到了部分作用
I must admit that the stars seemed to have played their part, too.
珍妮对贡贝黑猩猩展开的研究 一直持续至今
这是历史上人类对住在 天然栖息地的动物
展开过最长时间的持续性研究