本片是采用珍妮·古道尔在贡贝 长达100多个小时的影片制♥作♥而成
这些从未面世的镜头是上世纪60年代 雨果·范·勒维拍摄而成的
此前 这些镜头被认为已经丢失 直到2014年才被重新找到
1957年 路易斯·利基博士 向政♥府♥申请拨款
对野外的黑猩猩 展开为期六个月的研究
他认为这项研究或许会让我们
对早期人类的行为产生新的见解
利基对科学界盛行的态度心存怀疑
他想找个对科学理论没有偏见的
研究员去野外考察
利基26岁的英国秘书珍妮·古道尔 一生热爱动物
给他留下了深刻的印象 于是他便派她去执行这项任务
在去贡贝考察之前 她并没有受过任何训练
也没有科学学位
她对野外的黑猩猩几乎是一无所知
《珍古德的传奇一生》
我应该是在哪里读到过
INTERVIEWER: I think I’ve read somewhere,
也可能是别人告诉我的 说你小时候
maybe someone told me that when you were a child
常常会像男人一样梦想将来的事
you used to dream as a man.
对 我就是典型的男人
JANE: Yeah. I was typically a man,
我总是去冒险
I went on adventures.
为什么这么说
INTERVIEWER: How come?
可能是因为在当时
JANE: Probably because at the time
我想做男人做的事情
I wanted to do things which men did
这些事情女人并没有涉猎
and women didn’t.
去非洲
You know going to Africa,
和动物生活在一起
living with animals,
我脑子里想的一直是这事
that’s all I ever thought about.
所有一切都是顺其自然展开的
Everything led in the most natural way.
现在看来是这样
It seems now,
1957年 我收到一份美好的邀请 得以去非洲
to that magical invitation to Africa in 1957
在那里我遇到了路易斯·利基博士
where I would meet Dr. Louis Leakey,
他派我去贡贝考察黑猩猩
who had sent me on my way to Gombe and the chimpanzees.
我没受过训练 也没有学位
I had no training, no degree.
但路易斯不在乎学历资质
But Louis didn’t care about academic credentials.
他想找的是思想开放
What he was looking for was someone with an open mind,
热爱知识
with a passion for knowledge,
喜爱动物 极有耐心的人
with a love of animals, and with monumental patience.
我的任务是接近黑猩猩
My mission was to get close to the chimpanzees,
和它们生活在一起 得到它们的认可
to live among them, to be accepted.
我想要尽量靠近动物
I wanted to come as close
与它们交谈
to talking to animals as I could.
就像怪医杜立德一样
To be like Doctor Doolittle.
我想要毫无畏惧地在它们中间走动 就像泰山一样
I wanted to move among them without fear, like Tarzan.
这些多节瘤的古老大树
The huge, gnarled, and ancient trees,
小溪欢快地经过
the little streams chuckling their way through
多岩石的小径 流入湖中
rocky pathways to the lake.
鸟儿 昆虫
The birds. The insects.
从我八♥九♥岁时起
Since I was eight or nine years old,
我就一直梦想着来到非洲
I had dreamed of being in Africa,
在树丛中和野生动物们生活在一起
of living in the bush among wild animals.
突然间
And suddenly,
我发现自己真的是过着梦想中的生活
I found I was actually living in my dream.
我已经觉得自己属于 这个新森林世界了
I already felt that I belonged to this new forest world.
这里才是我注定要待的地方
That this was where I was meant to be.
当我到达贡贝时
When I arrived in Gombe,
我并不清楚自己要做什么
I had no idea what I was going to do
我只知道我要试着
except that I was going to try
让黑猩猩习惯我的存在
and get the chimpanzees used to me,
这样我才能了解它们的所作所为
so that I could really learn about what they were doing.
潜意识里我是这么想的
That was– that was in the back of my mind
因为我看过其他动物
because I’d watched other animals,
要了解它们 唯一的方法
and the only way to learn about them
就是让它们知道你在场 除非它们可以忽视你的存在
is when they know you’re there, but they ignore you.
但它们可以把你的脸撕破
INTERVIEWER: Except they can rip your face off.
我当时并不知道这点
Well, I didn’t know that.
我也没这么想过
I didn’t think about that!
没人说过这种事
There was nobody talking about that.
置身于野外 你就不怕黑猩猩吗
INTERVIEWER: There was no fear of chimpanzees in the wild?
你要明白 在那时候
You have to realize that back then,
我是读不到任何
there were no people out in the field
做野外考察的研究的
whose research I could read about
除了一个人
except this one man,
他在研究的三个月时间里
and he saw chimps once or maybe twice
见过黑猩猩一两次
in the three months of his study.
另外在更早的时候
And then much earlier on,
有个很疯狂的人
there was this crazy man
他应该是把狒狒粪便抹在自己身上
who painted himself with baboon shit, I think,
然后坐在隐蔽处 希望黑猩猩会出现
and sat in hides, in hopes that chimps would appear.
当时有很多蛇 很多毒蛇
JANE: There were plenty of snakes, many poisonous snakes.
说实话
And to be honest,
我一直都认为只要你小心走路
I always believed that if you walk carefully,
别惊动蛇
you don’t startle a snake,
别踩到它们
you don’t tread on it,
那它们就不会伤害你
they’re not going to hurt you.
我有一种听起来或许很疯狂的想法
I had this probably crazy feeling.
“没有什么会伤害我” “我注定要来这里”
“Nothing’s going to hurt me, I’m meant to be here.”
我看着它们 在一棵大无花果树上吃东西
JANE: I watched them feeding in a large fig tree.
时不时大声呼叫
Calling noisily from time to time.
那些树变得热闹起来
The trees came alive.
而我生命中最令人兴奋的 其中一段时光也由此展开
And so began one of the most exciting periods of my life.
那是一段发现的时光
The time of discovery.
我的生活渐渐有了一种节奏
My life fell into a rhythm.
日复一日
Day after day.
在阳光下 在风雨中
In the sun, and the wind and the rain.
我爬到山里
I climbed into the hills
从黎明开始陪着黑猩猩
and stayed with the chimps from dawn
直到黑夜降临
until darkness fell.
大多数时候 我会遇到一群黑猩猩
Most times I would encounter a group of chimps
或一只黑猩猩
or a single chimp,
但也有找不到它们的时候
but there were times when I couldn’t find them at all.
等我试图靠近些
And when I tried to get closer,
它们一看到我便会逃走
they ran off as soon as they saw me.
我是个入侵者
I was an intruder.
还是个奇怪的入侵者
And a strange one at that.
但我不是个容易气馁的人
As I am not a defeatist,
这只会让我更加想要成功
it only made my determination to succeed stronger.
我从来没有过放弃的念头
I never had any thought of quitting.
如果我放弃了 那我会永远看轻自己
I should forever have lost all self respect if I had given up.
我开始完全投入 这种森林生活方式当中
I became totally absorbed into this forest existence.
我可以完全沉浸在独自一人
I could give myself up to the sheer pleasure
置身于这片崎岖地带的愉悦当中
of being on my own in the rugged terrain
我开始渐渐熟悉这里
that I was coming to know as well as I had known
熟悉程度不亚于我自小 便熟知的伯恩茅斯峭壁
the Bournemouth cliffs as a child.
这是一段绝无仅有的时光
It was an unparalleled period.
孤独成了一种生活方式
When aloneness was a way of life.
正如我在一点点
And even as I was, bit by bit,
拼凑出它们的部分生活轨迹
piecing together something of their way of life,
与此同时 它们也在习惯自己眼前
so they were getting used to the sight
这个奇怪的白类人猿
of the strange white ape.
那时候大家都觉得一个年轻单身女孩
it was not thought at all safe for a young, single girl
到非洲野外很不安全
to go into the wilds of Africa.
我只能选个人作伴
I had to choose a companion.
自愿陪我去的人是我母亲
It was my mother who volunteered.
我妈妈开了个诊所
Mom set up a clinic.
她给当地的许多渔夫分发药物
She handed out medicine to many of the local fisherman.
患者们会行走好几公里来治疗
Patients would walk for miles to get treatment.
你和你父亲的关系是什么样的
INTERVIEWER: What was your relationship like with your father?
我并不了解我父亲
JANE: I didn’t really know my father.
他去打仗了
He went off to the war.
战争爆发时 我才五岁
When war broke out, I was five
我当然是很钦佩他
and of course I hugely admired him,
但他并不怎么在乎自己的孩子
but he didn’t really care about children.
所以我没法说我们之间有什么感情
So, I couldn’t say I had a relationship with him.
我觉得我母亲身上最重要的一点
I think the most important part about my mother
在于她很擅长倾听
was that she listened.
她总是很公平
She was always fair.
她从来不会无缘无故地生气
She was never angry without a reason.