芙洛和家人之间的密切接触
that those close contacts with Flo and her family
对我自己的成长而言也是非常重要的
were very important to my own development.
能拥有这种关系 真的很神奇
It was just so amazing to have this sort of relationship.
黑猩猩 鸟儿 昆虫
Together, the chimpanzees and the birds and the insects,
还有生机勃勃的森林里 各种各样的生物
the teeming life of the vibrant forest,
一起组成了一个整体
formed one whole.
它们都属于那个充满奥秘的大世界
All part of the great mystery.
我也是其中的一份子
And I was part of it too.
我在不断接近动物和大自然
All the time, I was getting closer to animals and nature
结果 我离自己也更近了
and as a result, closer to myself
我觉得我的四周有种灵性力量
and more in tune with the spiritual power
而我与这种力量变得越来越协调
that I felt all around.
后来 我时常觉得
I thought, as I have so often since,
自己是何其幸运
what an amazing privilege it was
能够完全被一种自♥由♥的野生动物全然接受
to be utterly accepted thus by a wild, free animal.
现实比虚构之事更加奇特
MAN: Truth is stranger than fiction
而虚构之事可以变成预言
and fiction can be transformed into prophecy.
我们现在就有一个 这种进化的绝佳示例
Here we have a perfect example of that evolution,
这个名叫珍妮的可爱英国小姐
with this lovely English lady called Jane
同样放弃了自己在英国舒适的家
and likewise traded her comfortable home in England
选择到非洲荒野 与非洲类人猿在一起 过原始生活
for the primitive life of the African wilderness among the African apes.
我很荣幸
And now I give myself the rewarding pleasure
有请珍妮·古道尔小姐出场
of presenting to you Miss Jane Goodall.
灰胡子大卫是一只 完全信任人类的黑猩猩
JANE: David Graybeard is a chimpanzee who has put his complete trust in man.
当然 我们
Surely, it’s up to us
要知道 在这些人类近亲中 至少有一些
to see that, at least, some of these nearly human creatures
在它们的自然栖息地中存活了下来
survive in their natural habitat.
美女与她的野兽
英国姑娘提供精良影片 展现她与类人猿共度的五年时光
姑娘孤身一人在荒野中研究类人猿
一个无人作伴的姑娘 讲述她在丛林中奇妙的生活
MAN #2: Jane Goodall tall, blonde and beautiful.
珍妮·古道尔与黑猩猩们
MAN #3: Jane Goodall living with the chimpanzees
生活在非洲的荒野里
in the wilds of Africa…
我是《国家地理》杂♥志♥的封♥面♥女♥郎♥
JANE: I was the Geographic covergirl.
人们说我是因为我的腿而出名的
And people said well my fame was due to my legs.
我觉得这话太愚蠢了 这话并不会给我造成困扰
Well, I mean, it was so stupid, it didn’t bother me.
名气的用处很大
It was really very useful
因为这次 我需要自己筹钱
because by this time I was needing to raise money myself,
所以我就利用了自己的名气
so I made use of it.
我和雨果成功申请到了
Hugo and I successfully applied
额外的资金
for additional funding,
用来在贡贝建立一个研究站
to build up a research station in Gombe.
我们还招收了一些学生
And we accepted students
这样我们就可以利用
so that we could take advantage
这额外的机会进行数据收集
of the increased opportunity for collecting data.
珍妮·古道尔几周前刚从非洲回来
REPORTER: Jane Goodall came back from Africa just a few weeks ago.
从那以后 她就一直 在欧洲和美国各地奔波
Since then, she’s been traveling around Europe and across America,
告诉动物学家们…
telling zoologists.
我和雨果非常荣幸
JANE: It is a very great pleasure for Hugo and me
今晚能和各位齐聚一堂
to be with you here tonight.
古道尔博士和她丈夫
MAN: Dr. Goodall and her husband
一直在拍摄 研究黑猩猩的行为
have been filming and studying the behavior of chimpanzees.
他们做好计划 去拍摄她的研究 后来他们结婚了
MAN #2: …to film her studies and they later married.
她和丈夫雨果·范·勒维男爵
MAN #3: She and her husband, Baron Hugo van Lawick,
目前是黑猩猩研究领域的顶级专家
are now the leading experts in the study of chimpanzees,
他们的研究站位于坦桑尼亚贡贝
their research station in Gombe in Tanzania.
您能只身一人前往丛林
WOMAN: I am absolutely full of admiration
并住在那里 做这么了不起的工作
for somebody who can go and live alone in a jungle
对此我表示十分钦佩
and do this sort of work that you did.
你有过非常害怕的时候吗
Were you ever really very frightened?
有时候会害怕
Sometimes I was frightened,
尤其是会怕花豹这类动物
especially of things like leopards,
但这是我一直以来的梦想生活
but it was the kind of life I had always dreamed of myself living.
这种生活非常迷人 没有什么能吓到我
And it was so fascinating that nothing could deter me.
那这些研究的实际意义呢
COMMITTEE MAN: What about the actual significance of the studies?
我们坚定地认为继续新工作的 其中一个目标
JANE: We feel quite strongly that one of the goals of continuing new work
是继续把我们对黑猩猩行为的了解 和人类行为联♥系♥起来
is to increasingly relate our understanding of chimpanzee behavior to human behavior.
你还要和黑猩猩在一起待多久
COMMITTEE MAN: How long are you going to be associated with the chimpanzees?
我会说 大概会待到我死为止
JANE: Oh I should say it’s a rough guess until I die,
但我没法告诉你这会是多少年
but I can’t tell you how many years that will be.
但我觉得最珍贵的其中一样东西
But I think one of the most valuable things
是保存下来的影片记录
has been this film record which has been kept
我们希望雨果能
and we are hoping that Hugo will be able
回去继续拍摄
to come back and carry on.
尤其是考虑到过去三个月 拍摄出的影片
Especially as the last three months gave such fantastic film,
是剩下的其他影片 加到一起都比不上的
better than all the rest put together.
我觉得应该有人在场 这事非常重要
It seems to me vitally important that somebody should be there.
我觉得委员会不认为有这个必要
COMMITTEE MAN: I think the Committee would disagree that that’s essential.
雨果 你对影片 其他问题 有什么想说的吗
Hugo, would you like to say anything about the filming? The problems?
没有
HUGO: Uh, no.
除非各位还有其他事情想要讨论
COMMITTEE MAN: Unless there’s something else to discuss,
没有的话 我们就散会吧
we will adjourn the meeting.
国际地理学会就这样 结束了对雨果的资助
JANE: Geographic ended the funding for Hugo just like that.
但这本来就是一项任务
But it was always an assignment
既然是任务 那你身为摄影师 自然会有任务结束的一天
and assignments, when you’re a cameraman, come to an end.
这让人非常不快
It was very upsetting.
既不幸 又让人难过
Unfortunate and sad.
当时我们就说 “我们该怎么做 我们要如何…”
And it was like, well, what do we do? You know, how do we?
因为我想去贡贝继续研究 但他没法去
‘Cause I wanted to go on at Gombe and he couldn’t.
情况就是这么简单
It was simple like that.
所以那时候 我的所有事情 都要发生变动
So then I had to change everything actually.
我们得找其他工作做
We had to find other work to do.
当然 我们也找到了
Which we did, of course.
是在塞伦盖蒂那里
On the Serengeti.
我们在贡贝有学生
We had students at Gombe
我们经常用无线电和他们沟通
and we used to talk to them on the radio telephone
几乎是每天都在沟通
just about every day, I think.
我会写书
So, I would write books.
雨果就拍影片
And Hugo would make films.
不在贡贝 对你来说难受吗
INTERVIEWER: Was it difficult for you not to be in Gombe?
因为我在贡贝 有一个很出色的学生团队
JANE: Well, because I had a jolly good team of students at Gombe
我也能随时了解到那边发生的情况
and I heard what was happening all the time,
所以我一点也不难受
it wasn’t too bad at all.
我有各种调研要忙活
I had all this finding out to do.
所以我在忙着写作
So, I was getting on with writing
我能够观看其他动物
and I was able to watch other animals
这给了我更广阔的视野
and that gave me a wider perspective.
要是我没离开贡贝 我对其他动物不会有更多的了解
I understood more animals better than if I hadn’t left Gombe.
从我们站在塞伦盖蒂平原的那一刻起
From the moment when we stood on the Serengeti plains,
就好像有一只看不见的手
it had been as though an unseen hand
拉开了窗帘
had drawn back a curtain.
进化的奥秘就在我们周围
The mystery of evolution was all around us.
那种美让我感到敬畏
I was awed by the beauty.
我们并没有坐下来谈论生孩子
We didn’t sit down and talk about shall we have children
之类的事情
or anything like that.
但葛拉来到了我们生命中 就是这样
But Grub came along so, that was that. (chuckles)
这就是自然而然发生的事情
It was just one of the things that happened, you know.
你结婚 怀孕
You got married and you got pregnant,
然后生孩子
and you had a baby.
我不记得自己仔细考虑过
I don’t remember contemplating
这会对我 对我们有什么影响
what this would do to me, what it would do to us,
会如何产生影响
how it would be,
但想到我在芙洛生完孩子后 也生了自己的孩子
but the idea of having a baby after Flo had a baby
我觉得自己想要观察自己的孩子
and I thought I would watch my baby
比较其中的差异
and see the difference.
葛拉当然是和我们待在塞伦盖蒂
And of course, Grub would be with us on the Serengeti.
7月8日
我本来打算好好做个研究
I had planned to do a decent study
认真做笔记之类的
and keep notes and everything,
留意葛拉的各个发育阶段
watching for the development stages in Grub,
就像我研究黑猩猩那样
just as I had done with the chimps.
7月17日
把这过程拍摄下来 似乎是个很不错的主意