丘奇先生
作者:夏洛特·布鲁克斯
只要亨利·约瑟夫·丘奇想做的
Henry Joseph Church could have been
没有什么他做不了
anything he wanted to be.
但他选择了当厨子
He chose to cook.
他说关键在于 爵士
The key, he said, jazz.
洛杉矶
妈妈 起来 起来
Mama, wake up, wake up.
宝贝 怎么了
Baby, baby, what is it?
有个黑人正在我们厨房♥煎蛋
There’s a black man in our kitchen cooking eggs.
宝贝 没事
Baby, that’s okay.
他是丘奇先生 我们的新厨子
It’s Mr. Church, our new cook.
新厨子?
New cook? Mm-hmm.
我们从来没有过厨子
We never had an old cook.
妈妈只是想多睡一会儿
You know what? Mama just needs a tiny bit more rest.
你先去自我介绍一下吧 我一会就来
I’ll– Go introduce yourself. I’ll be there soon.
丘奇先生之前是替理查德·坎农工作
Mr. Church used to work for Richard Cannon,
理查德曾是妈妈的情人
who was Mama’s lover.
但他不是我的爸爸
But he wasn’t my daddy.
当妈妈发现他是有妇之夫后
When Mama found out Richard was married
就结束了这段关系 虽然她还爱着他
she ended it, though she still loved him.
早上好 宝贝
Morning, baby.
当理查德生病后
When Richard was sick,
他对妈妈说的最后一句话是
the last thing he said to Mama was,
“我会永远照顾你”
“I’ll care for you until my dying day and beyond.”
早上好 丘奇先生 -早上好 妈妈
Good morning, Mr. Church. -Oh, good morning, ma’am.
我猜丘奇先生就是那个“永远”
I guess Mr. Church was the “beyond” part.
你已经见过夏丽了吧
I see you met Charlie.
不算正式见过
Well, not officially.
夏丽 礼节都去哪儿了
Oh, well, Charlie, where’s your manners?
早上好 夏洛特 我是丘奇先生
Good morning, Charlotte. My name’s Mr. Church.
你好吗 -好
How are you? -Fine.
这看起来真好吃 谢谢你 丘奇先生
this looks delicious. Thank you, Mr. Church.
您太客气了 夫人
You are most welcome, ma’am.
快 宝贝 吃完它
Come on, baby. Eat up.
我想吃苹果杰克
I want Apple Jacks.
夏丽 -苹果杰克是什么
Charlie! -What are Apple Jacks?
一种麦片
Well, it’s a cereal.
味道像苹果
It tastes like apples.
大部分是糖
Well, and sugar, mainly.
你没听过苹果杰克吗
You’ve never heard of Apple Jacks?
别无礼 -我可以给孩子
Hey, don’t be rude. -I can make the child
做杰克麦片 如果她喜欢的话
some Apple Jacks if that’s what she wants–
不用做的 从盒子里倒出来
It’s already made. It comes in a box.
加点牛奶就好了
Add milk and you’re done.
她不需要
She doesn’t need it.
她总得吃点东西 夫人
Well, she got to eat something, ma’am.
你已经做了一顿丰盛的早餐了 夏丽 吃
You have made an incredible meal. Charlie, eat.
这是什么
What is this?
你没听过燕麦粥吗
You never heard of grits?
我的燕麦粥里有很多秘方
There are a lot of secrets in my grits.
很好吃 你也试试 宝贝
This is delicious. You got to try some, sweetie.
夏洛特·玛丽·布鲁克斯 给我坐下
Charlotte Marie Brooks, you sit your butt down right now.
我数三下
I’m going to count to three, okay?
1 2
One… two…
丘奇先生 失礼了
Mr. Church, excuse me.
我要麦片
I want cereal!
你让我很难堪
You’re embarrassing me.
他为什么在这
Why is he here?
不知道 这是理查德的遗愿
I don’t know. Because Richard wanted it this way.
但我想吃苹果杰克 -夏丽
And I want Apple Jacks. -Charlie…
他什么时候走
What times does he go home?
大概他做够了
I guess when he’s done.
他什么时候做够 -我们够了的时候
When is he done? -When we’re done.
我们够了啊
we’re done.
夏丽 拜托
Oh, Charlie, please.
这说不通啊
It makes no sense.
这是理查德的遗愿
It’s what Richard wanted.
谁在乎他的想法 他都死了
Who cares what he wanted? He’s dead.
早上好 吉比 早上好 夏丽
Morning, Gibby. Morning, dear. Charlie.
早上好 吉比
Morning, Gibby.
你俩早上过得好吗
How are you two this morning?
还不错
We’re fine.
我们有了一个厨子
We have a cook.
那很好啊 亲爱的
That’s nice, dear.
来 拿着
Here, take this.
你一天到晚喝咖啡 我吃苹果杰克
You drink coffee all day. I eat Apple Jacks.
我们不需要厨子 -理查德认为我们需要
We don’t need a cook. -Well, Richard seems to think we did.
如果理查德真的那么在乎你
If Richard really cared about you,
他就会跟你结婚
he would have married you.
丘奇先生不会久留
Mr. Church won’t be staying.
他肯定已经发现这是一件多么错误的事
I’m sure he’s already realized what a mistake all this is.
上来吧 夏丽 要开车了
Come on, Charlie. We gotta move.
爱你
Love you.
要一直生妈妈的气很难
It was always hard to stay mad at Mama.
她太和善 太美丽
She was too nice, and far too beautiful.
我一直在看
I was always looking,
想找到比我妈妈更漂亮的人
trying to find someone more beautiful than my mama.
但从来没找到过
But I never could.
在这个广大世界的芸芸众生里
And out of everyone in the whole wide world,
她是最爱我的人
she loved me most.
丘奇先生 可以跟你说两句吗
Hey, Mr. Church, could I have a word with you?
哦 我得去市场了
Oh, man. I’m going to need to go to the market.
就是想说这事
Yeah, well, it’s about all that.
我今天拿来了一些东西 夫人
Yeah, I brought some groceries with me today, ma’am,
无意冒犯 但你这里只有调味料什么的
but no offense, all you got in here is some condiments and stuff.
都没食物让他们派上用场
There’s nothing to spread them on.
我有一阵子没去食品店了
I suppose I haven’t been to the store in a while.
我们能先不说这些吗
Could we just hold off on that for a second?
我一直等到夏丽去学校了
I wanted to wait till Charlie was at school
才来跟你谈谈 -夫人 你在发抖
before speaking with you– -Ma’am, you’re shivering.
对 我忘拿外套了 外面有点冷
Yeah, I forgot my jacket. It’s kind of chilly out.
你要不要去穿件毛衣什么的
Maybe you want to put on a sweater or something.
我会的 只是 -生病了可不好 夫人
Yeah, I will. I just– -‘Cause you don’t want to get sick, ma’am.
他告诉你了
He told you.
是的 夫人
Yes, ma’am.
他说什么了
What’d he say?
你的乳♥房♥♥里有恶性肿瘤
That you have a cancer in your breast
时日无多了 夫人
and that you’re dying, ma’am.
他有告诉你 我还能活多久吗
Did he tell you how long I have?
6个月 夫人
Six months, ma’am.
丘奇先生 我们在说的是乳♥房♥♥和死亡
Mr. Church, we’re talking about my breast and dying.
“夫人”这玩意儿就免了
You can drop the “ma’am” stuff, okay?
我叫玛丽
Because it’s Marie.
你这情况下还应该
You really think you should be smoking
抽烟吗 夫人
in your condition, ma’am?
当然
Absolutely.
你英语考试怎么样
How’d you do on your English test?
大概会不及格
Hmm, I think I failed.
早上好 布鲁克斯小姐
Good morning, Miss Brooks.
今天早上过得好吗
How are you this morning?
我们有了一个厨子
Oh, well, we have a cook.
他是黑人 他用秘方做燕麦粥
He’s black, he makes grits with secrets,
还在我们厨房♥闲荡
and he’s hanging out in our kitchen.
理查德跟你达成了什么协议
So, what kind of a deal did Richard make with you?
只是要求我为你们做饭
I was just asked to cook for you and your child
直到你离去 夫人
till you passed on, ma’am.
你肯定还有别的
And certainly you’re getting something
好处吧
out of this.
坎农先生承诺支付我终生酬劳
Well, Mr. Cannon guaranteed me a lifetime salary
只要我遵守承诺
if I kept my word.
不错啊

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!