It was money given to the university to do research.
我们资助研究计画的方法 就是透过来自养牛业协会的捐赠
And that’s how we fund research programs, is through grants from the cattlemen,
透过肉业机构等等这些不同的组织
through, uh, you know, the meat institute, all those different organizations.
妳是说这当中没有利益冲突吗?
Are you saying it isn’t a conflict of interest for you to regulate
因为妳要管理的业界 资助了许多妳进行的研究
the very industry that has funded so many of your studies?
那未必会改变我对该业界的看法
It didn’t necessarily change the way I looked at the industry at all.
真要说的话,我更瞭解病原体何在
If anything, you know, I knew where the pathogens were
要如何去控制
and how to control them
业界这许多不同的组成
and all of those different components of the industry.
所以这让我更加适任这个职位
So I think it just made me a stronger person in that position.
妳认为自己受到提名
Was your nomination also great news, do you think,
对于仰赖政♥府♥保障食安的消费者来说 也是大好消息吗?
for the consumers that rely on the government to keep their food safe?
对,我是很强力的消费者代言人
Yes. I’m a very strong consumer advocate.
(布拉席尔斯博士研究 所接受的业界捐赠)
(美国家禽蛋品出口协会 5万3157美元)
(美国猪肉生产者协会 8万2500美元)
(美国肉品协会,60万8253美元)
(全国养牛业协会 369万1024美元)
也不只有明蒂布拉席尔斯
And, you know, it’s not just, you know, Mindy Brashears, you know.
政♥府♥裡的每个人都是
It’s everyone in government.
他们进入了这种政♥治♥领域
They get into this… you know, into this political realm.
而感觉他们似乎没有真的去
And it doesn’t seem like they really
注意人♥民♥的事
are paying attention to the people’s business.
你们对马♥勒♥的请♥愿♥达成决定了吗?
Have you made a decision on the Marler petition yet?
没有,我们没有达成决定
No, we have not.
我们正在检视评估这些要求
We are examining and assessing the requests in the context
对比于我们范围更大的沙门氏菌计画
of our larger salmonella initiative.
他们在各项请♥愿♥当中的目标
Their goal in each of the petitions
是为了能够更佳地去
is to do a better job
减少致病的沙门氏菌菌株
at reducing salmonella, the strains that make people sick.
我们也有一模一样的目标
We have the same exact goal.
当麦克泰勒 – 认定O157: – H7型大肠杆菌是掺假
When Mike Taylor deemed – E. coli O157: – H7 an adulterant,
他有完全的职权那样做
he had complete authority to do that.
所以珊卓拉艾斯钦
There’s absolutely no reason that,
完全没有理由 不能在此刻做出一模一样的事
uh, Sandy Eskin couldn’t do exactly the same thing on her own right now.
所以她有职权? -完全有
She has the authority?
她有职权可以认定 鸡肉内有沙门氏菌是掺假
Absolutely. She has the authority to deem salmonella an adulterant in chicken.
那她怎麽没去做?
So why doesn’t she?
因为要不然业界…
Because, uh, the industry would…
知道是鸡肉,所以我应该这样说
And I should say this knowing that it’s chicken,
…业界会喔喔叫,大声抗♥议♥
the industry would squawk, um, and they would squawk loudly.
我感觉业界没有做到他们承诺的部分
I feel like the industry hasn’t held up their end of the bargain.
你去欧洲
You can go to Europe
买♥♥得到包装上头
and buy packages that are labeled,
贴有“无病原体”标籤的鸡肉产品
you know, “pathogen-free” there.
但在美国买♥♥不到
You can’t get that in the United States.
欧洲那边从养鸡场开始
They went back to the farm,
优先处理掉会让人类生病
and they prioritized getting rid of the worst types of salmonella
最糟糕的沙门氏菌菌株
that make humans sick.
他们替鸡隻施打沙门氏菌疫苗
They vaccinate chicken against salmonella.
他们有时候会扑杀 受到沙门氏菌污染的鸡群
They sometimes eradicate flocks that are contaminated with salmonella,
会在鸡隻进入屠宰场之前 预先进行这些干预
and they do those interventions before they hit the slaughterhouse
因为一旦进入屠宰场,就没用了
because once they hit the slaughterhouse, you know, it’s not gonna help.
(欧洲在五年内成功降低)
(将近一半的沙门氏菌染疫率)
所以并不是我们做不到
So it’s not like we can’t do it.
只是我们还没有这样做的政♥治♥意志
Um, we just don’t have the political will yet to do it.
看到史黛芬妮英柏格的遭遇
When you look at what happened to Stephanie Ingberg,
毫无疑问我们做得还不够
there’s no question we’re not doing enough.
政♥府♥做得不够、业界做得不够
The government’s not doing enough. The industry’s not doing enough.
史黛芬妮回来的第一天早上 当时我们初次知道
Stephanie, you know, when we first found out
她或许活不了多久了
that first morning that she was back that she may not live very much longer,
而她并没有死的这件事
the fact that she didn’t die,
给了我们希望,她还跟我们在一起
uh, gave us hope.She was still with us.
当时她依然陷入昏迷 我们无法和她沟通
She was still in a coma. We couldn’t communicate with her.
医师不知道她为何还没有醒来
They… they didn’t know why she wasn’t waking up.
我想这带出了是否有脑损伤的问题
And I think that’s what led to the question about the brain injury,
所以她没有醒来
that she just wasn’t waking up.
牧师进到病房♥做临终祈祷
The priest came in saying a prayer.
而在祈祷当中 她的眼睛开始微微张开
And during that prayer, her eyes just started to slit open.
而那是醒来的第一个迹象
And that was the first sign of waking up.

Yeah.

Okay.
我特别记得醒来那时候
I specifically remember when I woke up,
大家围着我,都很激动
everyone was surrounding me, and everyone was very emotional around me.
我心想这是出了什麽大事? 怎麽大家都那样伤心?
I’m like, “What is the big deal? Why is everyone so sad right now?”
我莫名所以
“I don’t understand.”
后来他们告诉我 我感染了某种大肠杆菌
So they were telling me that I got, um, a strain of E. coli.
好的
Okay.
我戳那儿妳会痛吗?
Do you have any pain when I poke in there?
不会 -不会啊
No. – No.
可能会让人得到溶血性尿毒症候群 这是致命的肾脏疾病
And it can give you HUS, which is a fatal kidney disease,
我就是得了这种病
which is what I got.
(右肾脏)
她体内的状况 就像核子弹在身体裡爆♥炸♥
This condition in her body was like a nuclear bomb exploding inside you,
每一个器官都会受到攻击
where it hits every single organ,
然后你得要去收拾残局
and then you have to get there and pick up the pieces.
很好,现在要到左边
Okay, good, we’re gonna go to the left side now.
我花了很长的时间重建我的体力 现在比较好了吧?
It took me a long time to rebuild my strength.
因为昏迷,我没参与到最困难的部分
My coma kind of knocked me out for the hardest parts,
但我知道当中有些时刻
but I know there were moments
我的家人和医师不认为我撑得过去
that my family and my doctors didn’t think I was gonna make it through,
这对他们来说非常难受
which has been really hard on them.
知道我让他们经历那样的痛苦 我也很难受
And it’s hard for me to know that I put them through that pain.
可是…
Um…But…
是啊
Yeah.
一路都要控制 妳走路的时候,我会看妳的膝盖
Control it all the way. I’m gonna look at your knees as you go.
我当时做了很多物理治疗
I had a lot of physical therapy,
好几次门诊洗肾
a handful of outpatient dialysis visits.
每天都要去看医师
I had doctor’s appointments every day.
我妈那时有好几个月无法回去工作
My mom couldn’t go back to work for months because she had to drive me
因为每天都要开车载我 去看两到三位的医师约诊
to probably two or three doctor’s appointments every day.
我当时设下了几个目标 用来帮助激励自己
You know, I had a few goals set in place that helped motivate me.
五月就要毕业
You know, I was graduating in May.
所以能够在毕业典礼上走路
Being able to, um, you know, walk at graduation
算是我最大的目标 因为当时我无法走路
was one of my biggest goals because at the time I couldn’t walk.
我说着都掉眼泪了 但我达成了所有那些目标
And I’m crying, but I achieved all those goals.
我参加了毕业舞会 在毕业典礼上走路
You know, I… I got to go to prom. I got to walk at graduation…
我觉得自己很幸运
…which, you know, I feel like I’m pretty lucky
在那样的情况下
to be able to say I was able to do,
能够做到这些事
given the circumstances.
妳的尿蛋白还是过高
You are still having protein spillage in the urine.
可惜这并不正常
That is unfortunately not normal.
所以我们在用利欣诺普这种药
And that’s why we’re using, uh, this medication, Lisinopril.
很不幸
Unfortunately, uh,
已经四年了,这个问题并没有消除
it’s been four years now, and I’m not seeing this going away.
我有点紧张我的肾脏健康等等 在未来会是如何
I’m kind of nervous for what the future holds
我尽量不去想
with my kidney health and everything. I try not to think about it.
我每天都得要吃药
I have to take a medication every day
设法增强肾丝球的过滤率
to try to tighten the filters in my kidneys.
我和肾脏科医师讨论过,有可能
I’ve talked to my nephrologist, and there’s a possibility
我或许得要进行肾脏移植
that I might have to get a kidney transplant.
或许得要一辈子洗肾
I mean, I might have to be on dialysis for the rest of my life.
任谁都不想听到这种事
Like, you never wanna hear that.
(《视觉化解剖与生理学》)
我认为有些人 容易不把食媒性疾病当成一回事
I think some people tend to brush off foodborne illness.
以为就是有点肚子痛
Oh, it’s a little stomach ache.
多花点时间跑厕所,没啥大不了
You know, it’s some extra time in the bathroom. It’s no big deal.
其实远不只是那样而已
It is so much more than that, you know.
而是昏迷、脑损伤、肾脏创伤
It’s comas and brain damage and kidney trauma
肯定应该要被严肃看待
and definitely should be taken seriously.
我吃了沙拉
I ate a salad, and, you know,
现在我的健康因而受到长♥期♥影响
now I have long-term health effects from it.
如果要列出现在最高风险食物的清单
If you were to develop a list of the highest-risk foods right now,
萝美生菜若非排第一,也是前几名
romaine lettuce would be near the top, if not at the top.