(巴黎,1934年)
夫人?
Madame?
居礼夫人?
Madame Curie!
快叫救护车
Get an ambulance car!
夫人,您怎么了?
Madame, what happened?
赶快,她很虚弱
Hurry. She’s very weak.
是居礼夫人? ﹣对
This is Madame Curie? – Yes.
杜克劳的书? ﹣对
Duclaux? Yes.
你对微生物学有兴趣?
Are you interested in microbiology?
我对质疑主流的科学都有兴趣
I’m interested in all science that confronts prevailing attitudes.
我是皮耶居礼
I’m Pierre Curie.
你好,居礼先生
Hello, Monsieur Curie.
再见
Goodbye.
(巴黎,1♥8♥9♥3年)
(巴黎大学,科学学院)
这里真热闹
You’re with company.
我打扰了
I’ve intruded.
没错
You have.
那我想请你说明为何不请自来
Now is your opportunity to tell us why you may have intruded,
斯克沃多夫斯卡小姐
Mademoiselle Sklodowska.
利普曼教授,我提出严正抗♥议♥
Professor Lippmann, I want to protest in the strongest possible terms.
昨晚又有人乱移♥动♥我的设备
My equipment was moved again last night.
我想理由很简单
There’s a simple reason for that.
才不,实验室里的
More than simple. It is a distinct lack of respect
同事对我有失尊重
by those who share your laboratory with me.
容我提出反论
Allow me to posit an opposing hypothesis,
可能是你的设备占据太多空间
Mademoiselle Sklodowska. It might be that your equipment takes up too much space.
如果科学家的设备被这样乱动…
If a scientist’s equipment cannot be kept in the precise positions in which it was left…
那是野蛮人,不是科学家,我同意
Then we are savages, not scientists. I couldn’t agree more.
我只需要你保证…
Then all I need is your assurance…
那我只好请你离开我的实验室
And it is for this reason I must ask you please to leave my laboratory.
离开?
Leave?
我们无法允诺你的要求
We cannot keep you in the manner you require.
但我无处可去
But I have nowhere else to go.
那你得自己盖实验室了
Then you’ll have to set up a laboratory of your own, Mademoiselle Sklodowska.
我缺乏经费
I lack the funds.
你是缺乏先见,不断提出苛求
Then your lack of foresight in presenting me, constantly,
这倒是让大家学到宝贵的教训
with demands is something that will teach all of us a valuable lesson.
也许因为我是波兰人 ﹣当然不是
Maybe it’s because I’m Polish. – Of course not.
或者因为我不是男人
Or it’s because I’m not a man.
有可能,可是玛丽亚…
Well, yes, it might be that. But, Marya…
我们在巴黎,我改名叫玛丽了
We are in Paris. I have taken the name Marie.
你的小孩在哭 ﹣我注意到了
Your child is crying. – Yes, I am aware of that.
你不是应该尽点母职吗?
So, shouldn’t you assume some sort of motherly disposition?
抱歉,夫人
Sorry, madame.
谢谢
Thank you.
宝宝乖
There. Shh, shh.
谢谢,拉娜
Thank you, Lana.
要是你去向他道歉…
What if you were to visit him? Apologise?
我大老远从波兰来读科学
I came all the way from Poland to study science.
我才不道歉,是科学界没救了
I can’t apologise. Science is lost to me!
我去当老师算了
I’m going to have to become a teacher!
真是的,别再唉唉叫了
Oh, you are impossibly dramatic.
你的小孩才唉唉叫
Your child is dramatic.
玛丽亚
Marya…
去道歉
Apologise.
不,休想
No! Never.
我自有办法
I will find my own way.
不用
No.
不需要
No.
(洛伊富勒舞蹈表演)
请别误会我是故意站你旁边
Please don’t suppose anything by me standing beside you.
是读杜克劳的女士
It’s the woman from the street with the Duclaux. Hello.
你好
I stand beside you
我站你旁边只是因为
merely because you look as awkward as I feel.
你看起来跟我一样尴尬,我…
And I made the… – Do I seem awkward?
我看起来很尴尬?
…I think, correct assumption
正确假设是我们站一起…
that we will look less awkward standing together…
我不觉得尴尬 ﹣会比分开站自在
I don’t feel awkward. …than we might standing apart.
但我同意你的论点
Well, that’s a theory I can support.
我是皮耶居礼
I’m Pierre Curie.
你真喜欢自己的名字,你介绍过了
You do like your name, don’t you? That’s the second time you’ve told me it.
你是玛丽亚斯克沃多夫斯卡
You’re Marya Sklodowska.
我没跟你说过名字吧
I don’t believe I gave you my name.
这位舞者很棒吧
She’s wonderful, isn’t she? The dancer.
她是洛伊富勒,她的舞姿让人着迷
Her name is Loie Fuller should you wish to see her again.
你对记名字乐此不疲呢
Do you make it your business to know everybody’s names?
她把这支舞取名为“火之舞”
She calls it, this dance, her fire dance.
为什么?
Why?
我想她一定热衷于火焰飞舞
I believe it’s because she’s interested in the way flames move.
没错,你没跟我说过名字
You’re right, you didn’t tell me your name,
但因为3个理由,所以我知道
but I do know it for three reasons.
第一,你是学院内…
One: you’re one of only 23 female scientists
仅有的23位女性科学家之一
within the department.
质数
A prime number.
第二,我听说你跟利普曼教授不和
Two: I’ve heard about your run-ins with Professor Lippmann.
他们将你冠上恶名
They’ve gained you some infamy.
第三,我拜读了你的钢铁磁性论文
And three: I read your paper on the magnetic properties of steel.
里面的科学研究令人惊艳
It contained some exceptional science.
谢谢
Thank you.
既然你这么有眼光
And as you’ve been so kind,
我承认也读过你的结晶作用论文
I will admit that I have also read your paper – on crystallisation. – Oh?
我乐在其中
Which I enjoyed. Very much.
谢谢
Thank you.
听说利普曼把你逐出实验室
I also heard what Lippmann did, evicting you from your lab.
很遗憾 ﹣不必同情我,居礼先生
I am sorry. I don’t need pity, Monsieur Curie.
如果我能提供协助… ﹣我很好
But if I could be of any assistance… I will be fine.
我不会因你提供实验室就感激涕零
Just to be clear, I refuse to be grateful for a scientist offering another scientist a room.
我的能力不容小觑
I’m more than capable and my work…
你不必觉得感激
Your ingratitude is entirely correct.
我更不会因此当你的情妇
And also I feel it’s worth pointing out that I will not be your mistress.
我没想过这种事
The thought hadn’t occurred to me.
我不接受旁人干预
And I won’t tolerate meddling.
也不准有人指示我怎么做实验
I will not be told how my experiments will be optimised better…
我乐于分享科学,有同伴会…
Well, I enjoy sharing science, and I think that by working together…
我无法忍♥受
I will not tolerate it.
那你要学会忍♥受,我喜欢合作
Well, you’ll have to learn to tolerate it. I like collaboration.
我对你的研究有兴趣
I will take an interest in your work
希望你对我的研究也有兴趣
and I’ll be interested if you take an interest in mine.
斯克沃多夫斯卡小姐?
Mademoiselle Sklodowska?
在你推辞目前仅有的机会前
Before you turn your back on the only room
起码看一下我的实验室?
anyone is offering you, will you at least see where I work?
过得去
Basic.
马歇、安卓、墨利斯和保罗
Marcel, Andre, Maurice and Paul,
这位是玛丽斯克沃多夫斯卡小姐
may I introduce Mademoiselle Marie Sklodowska.
幸会,很高兴认识你
Such a pleasure to meet you, Mademoiselle Sklodowska.
久仰大名
We’ve heard so much about you.
是吗?
You have?
学院可能也不太喜欢我
The Académie probably dislike me almost as much as they dislike you.
我每个重大学术进展都被忽视,教职和经费也被打回票
I’ve been passed over for every major advancement, professorship, funding.
为什么?我不太确定
Why? Well, I’m not entirely sure. Maybe I bore them,
也许我让他们厌倦或吓到他们反正他们也没给我好处
maybe I scare them, but they do me no great favour, either.
但你是小有名气的科学家
But you’re a scientist of some renown.
那我邀你加入我小有名气
Well, and I’m asking you to share my renowned,
又还过得去的实验室
yet basic, space with me.
为什么邀我?
Why are you asking?
我对你有一种直觉
I have an instinct about you.
直觉不算是科学理由
An instinct is not a particularly scientific reason.
对,但总是个理由
No, but it’s still a reason.
好吧
Yes.
好,这完全符合我的需求
Yes, this will suit my needs entirely.
很好
Good.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!