you know, or to put you on a, you know, potato chip diet
或者薯条 你或许会受到相同的效果
我认为这些卡路里
I think the issue is that all of these calories
应该被视为是任意的
really need to be regarded as discretionary.
我认为 约翰对卡路里的看法
I found John’s position on calories
和食品行业的看法非常一致
so similar to the line that the food industry takes
我觉得我有必要
that I felt compelled to question
去询问这些科研的资助来源
the source of his research funding.
你有被可口可乐资助过吗
Have you ever received any kind of funding from Coca-Cola?
我认为这是个相当重要的问题
You know, I think this is a really important question,
而且我对此保持透明是非常重要的
and it’s very important for me that I be transparent.
所以我们收到了这个由可口可乐投资者发起的
So we have received investigator-initiated,
无限制资金提供
unrestricted funding from Coca-Cola.
那意味着他们不能对我们问的问题
What that means is they had no say over our questions
我们如何进行研究
we were asking, how we conducted the research,
我们的分♥析♥ 我们的解释
our analysis, our interpretation
以及我们的数据计划进行否定或阻拦
and our data plan.
这是个危险信♥号♥♥
It’s a red flag…
对我来说 听到你说那个 简直就是 哇 好吧
For me to hear you even say that is, like, “Whoa, OK.”
因为这可是一个拥有六百五十个饮料产品的公♥司♥啊
Because this is a company with 650 beverage products…
你说得对 对
You’re right, you’re right.
那些产品全都依赖于果糖和糖类
…that rely on fructose and sugar, so…
所以我想说 你是对的
So what I would say is you’re right.
我认为 我们已经认识到
I mean, we realised this going in and, I mean, some may view this
有些人可能会认为这是和恶魔交朋友呢 我猜
as sort of shaking hands with the devil, I guess.
我的意思是 即使是那样
I mean, even though that’s the case, you know,
我们对于我们做的事和协议很有信心
we’re confident enough in what we’re doing and our protocols
我们把一切都放在桌面上来讲了
and we’re laying everything bare,
我们能够继续和他们交洽
that we could afford to engage with them.
我认为我们不应该直接
I think that we should not take money
从糖类产业那里拿钱
from the industry directly.
我认为在道德上 这么做就是错的
I think it’s just morally wrong to do that,
而且 金钱是强大的
and, you know, money’s tough,
这也是 研究人员面临的一个难题
so it’s a big dilemma for researcher, as well.
但我们并不希望玷污最终结论
But we don’t want to taint the answer,
我们希望得到真♥相♥
we want to know the truth.
一周之后
Just one week later,
我看到了一个关于果糖和甜饮料的
I saw an ad for a symposium on fructose
讨论会广♥告♥
and sweetened beverages.
它是由可口可乐赞助的
It was sponsored by Coca-Cola.
他们的主讲人是约翰·斯芬派帕博士
Their keynote speaker was Dr John Sievenpiper.
他讲到了卡路里 讲到了研究表明果糖
He spoke about calories and there being no link between
和心脏类疾病之间并没有什么关系
fructose and cardiometabolic diseases in the studies.
可口可乐公♥司♥疯狂地在推特上转发了这信息
Coke madly tweeted about it
之后 主持人问了观众
and then the host asked the audience…
也许弄一个
To maybe put together
油管视频来
a YouTube video to, you know,
来给广大群众
bring some balance back to those messages
了解到这些信息
that are out there for the public.
我在油管上找到了这个视频
I found this video on YouTube,
但我不确定这是他们真正所想的
but I’m not sure it’s quite what they had in mind.
当我的实验即将在美国进入尾声
As the US leg of my experiment
马上就靠近最终结论了
neared its conclusion,
让我真正震惊的是
what really struck me
尽管糖给我们带来了那么多不好的影响
is that despite all the effects sugar is having on us,
很多时候 我们仅仅只是接受了它的侵略
in many ways we’ve just adapted to its saturation.
并且 我注意到人类的身体和脑子
And I’m just noticing how incredible the human body
是如此神奇
and the human mind is
因为虽然我每天都要吃四十茶匙的糖
because even though I’m having 40 teaspoons of sugar a day,
我已经完全习惯这个现状
I’ve adjusted now to this new reality.
我的身体接受了这就是我吃的
My body just accepts that this is what I eat,
而我的脑子处理好了我情绪的起伏
and my brain deals with the moods up and down,
我就这样和生活友好相处了
I just get on with life
这也没问题 我能够运行正常
and it’s fine, I can function.
但是 额 我不像以前那样高效了
But, uh… I’m not nearly as efficient as I was,
我的战斗力差多了 我累坏了
my fuse is a lot shorter, I’m exhausted.
并且 我认为这就是许多人如何生活的
And I think that’s how a lot of people live their lives.
人们每天的情绪都会起起伏伏 但这就是他们的现状
People are up and down all day, but it’s just their reality,
所以他们选择接受
so they accept it
他们也没有过什么不一样的经历
and they’ve never experienced anything different.
但是 我有
And I have
而且我非常想回到从前精神充沛的时候
and I’m really excited to get back to that point.
如果你一直这样生活
If you’ve always lived this way,
你完全无法想象生活会变成什么样子
you have no idea what life can be like.
这绝对不在你的参考坐标里面
It’s not part of your frame of reference.
如今 很多人都会说
Now, a lot of people will say,
我无时无刻不在吃糖
“Well, I eat sugar all the time and, you know,
我很好啊
“I’m perfectly fine.”
但他们不了解
Well, what they don’t understand is that
他们无时无刻不在吃糖
they eat sugar all the time
同时 他们也无时无刻感到头昏 脑袋不清晰
and they’re fuzzy and their mind is cloudy all the time.
糖如今已经变得如此根深蒂固地
Sugar has now become so deeply ingrained
渗入我们的社会
into the fabric of our society
使得人们都无法想象没有糖的生活
that some people can’t imagine life without it.
假设 我们拿走添加糖
What say we took away added sugar,
那 人们会做些什么
well, then what are people gonna do
来获得糖给他们带来的感受
to get that same feeling in their life that sugar gave them,
就他们的价值和喜好而言
in terms of their values and preferences?
但是我们忘了 我们并不总是这样生活的
But we forget that we didn’t always live like this.
社会已经变了
Society has changed.
二百年以前 世界上没有社会
200 years ago there was not a society in the world
人们会因为他们饮食中的糖
when they had a festival that was basing what they ate
而举办一个节日
and what they drank on sugar.
而如今 这个节日变得和其他节日
Today, it has become synonymous
一模一样
with any celebration.
但是 其中的深层意义在于
But, more profoundly,
这是一种最简单的表达爱的方式
it is one of the simplest ways we communicate love.
我认为 糖之所以会在我们的生活中扮演如此重要的角色
I think the reason that sugar has become
是因为它实际上唤醒了我们对爱的感知
so ingrained is that it actually evokes love.
我们的大脑在我们摄取糖分时产生的化学反应
Our brains respond to the chemical effect
正如同我们在感受到爱时产生的反应
the same way we respond to love.
如果我们心情低落感到沮丧 我们该怎么办
If we’re feeling upset, what do we do?
我们吃些甜品 哦 我觉得好多了
We have some sugar, “Oh, I feel better.”
如果生活中没有那么多暖心的事 不够有爱
If there’s not enough sweetness in our life, not enough love,
哦 我就奖励自己一些巧克力吧
“Oh, I’ll just have some chocolate.”
糖分的摄取 对我们的心脏 大脑 还有身体
With sugar having such complex associations
都有许多错综复杂的联♥系♥
with our hearts, minds and bodies,
我好奇糖在社会文化中
I wonder if it is having far greater ramifications
是否有着远比现在更了不起的衍生结果
for the culture than we’ve considered.
鲁道夫·斯坦纳说 本质上来看 糖引发了物质主义
Rudolf Steiner said that sugar essentially causes materialism.
糖类代谢的发展
And that development of the sugar metabolism
还有糖类药文化
and the sugar drug culture
最终发展出了物质主义文化
developed a materialistic culture.
我们生活在一个及时行乐的年代
We live in a time of instant gratification,
所有人都显得急功近利
nobody wants to wait for anything.
而说到糖类 它们是一种快速能量 直达大脑
What’s sugar? Quick energy, it’s straight to the brain.
吃掉那个派 吃掉它 吃掉它
Eat that pie! Eat that pie! Eat that pie.’
吃掉那个派 吃掉它 吃掉它
Eat that pie! Eat that pie.’ Eat that pie!
吃掉那个派 吃掉它 吃掉它
Eat that pie! Eat that pie! Eat that pie.’
吃掉那个派 吃掉它 吃掉它
Eat that pie! Eat that pie.’ Eat that pie!
嗨 亲爱的
Hi, darling.
天呐 看你的肚子
Oh, look at this.
你好啊 小家伙 你在里面怎么样拉 伙计
Hello, little dude. How are you going in there, dudie?
变大了不少啊
Massive.
快看我的肚子 也胖了不少
How big’s mine, too? Look at that.
哦 天呐
Oh, my God.
好了 我们回家吧
Alright, let’s do it.
六十天之后
After 60 days
整整两千三百六十茶匙的糖
and 2,360 teaspoons of sugar,
终于最后一顿来了
it was time for the last meal.
我认为剩下的四十茶匙糖 可以直接用
I thought it would be fitting to cram all the remaining 40 teaspoons

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!