and singing from the table tops.
听说还有舞会
People say there was dancing.
这么说是法国式的礼拜天
It was a real French Sunday then?
堕落的早期可真令人兴奋
Well, dissipation can be wonderfully energising in the early stages…
你认为她的情人明天会送黄玫瑰吗
Do you think her lover will send her a box of yellow roses tomorrow morning?

I…
我也在想这个问题
I was thinking about that, too.
告别的那一幕
The farewell scene.
我知道
Yes, I know.
我也深受感动
It touches me as well.
散场时我总是尽快离去 以免那一幕的情景挥之不去
I usually leave the theatre after that scene to take the picture away with me.
我收到梅从圣奥斯汀捎来的信
I had a letter from May from St Augustine.
他们总是南下避寒
They always spend the winter there,
因为她母亲有支气管炎
on account of her mother’s bronchitis.
梅不在时你都做些什么
And what do you do while May is away?
工作
I do my work.
我要告诉你 你的建议很对
I do want you to know what you advised me was right.
世事总令人饱受煎熬 我很感激你
Things can be so difficult sometimes, and I’m so grateful.
隔天 纽伦·阿齐为了寻找黄玫瑰
The next day Newland Archer searched the city in vain
走遍全纽约却依然没找到
for yellow roses.
他写了一封信给奥兰斯卡夫人
From his office, he sent a note to Madame Olenska
表示当天想去看她
asking to call that afternoon,
并要信差等她的答复
and requesting reply by messenger.
但她却毫无表示 次日亦然
There was no reply that day or the next.
当黄玫瑰再度出现时 纽伦却匆匆走过
And when yellow roses were again available, Archer passed them by.
第三天他才接到她的信
It was only on the third day that he heard from her by post,
是从冯·德·莱登的别♥墅♥寄出的
from the van der Luydens’ country home.
纽伦 那天在剧院看见你后 我便赶紧逃离
“Newland, I ran away the day after I saw you at the play,
好心的路登夫妇收留了我
“and these kind friends have taken me in.
我想静静地思考
“I wanted to be quiet and think things over.
这里很安全 真希望你也在这里
“I feel so safe here. I wish that you were with us.
谨此
“Yours sincerely.”
莱弗茨邀他去哈德逊河度周末
He had received an invitation from the Lefferts for a weekend on the Hudson,
他连忙答应
and he hoped it was not too late to reply.
因为那儿离冯·德·莱登的别♥墅♥不远
Their house was not far from the van der Luydens’.
我来了解你到底在逃避什么
I came to see what you were running away from.
我知道你会来的
I knew you’d come.
那表示你想见我
That shows you wanted me to.
梅在信上说要我照顾你
Cousin May wrote. She asked you to take care of me.
其实不用她吩咐 – 为什么
I didn’t need to be asked. – Why?
我就这么孤苦无依吗
Does that mean I’m so helpless and defenceless?
还是这儿的女人都太有福气 什么都不缺
Or that women here are so blessed, they never feel need?
缺什么
What sort of need?
噢 拜托 别考我
Ohh. Please don’t ask me.
我们说的不是同一门语言
I don’t speak your language.
亨利把祖传老宅借给我住 我带你去看
Henry left the old Patroon house open for me. I want you to see it.
信中的你并不开心
When you wrote me, you were unhappy.
对 但有你在身旁就不同了
Yes, but I can’t feel unhappy when you’re here.
我不能久留
I shan’t be here long.
我知道
I know.
如果你真的希望我来
Ellen, if you really wanted me to come,
如果真要我的帮助
if I’m really to help you,
你必须老实说你究竟在躲什么
you must tell me what you’re running from.
你是在躲避他吗
Is he what you were running from?
还是在等他
Or what you expected?
我不知道他也来了
I didn’t know he was here.
你好 布霍 这边请
Hello, Beaufort. This way.
奥兰斯卡夫人正在等你
Madame Olenska was expecting you.
你好
Hello.
你让我找得好苦
Well, you’ve certainly led me on a bit of a chase.
我大老远来 只想告诉你 房♥子找到了
All this way just to tell you I’d found the perfect little house for you.
还没公开出♥售♥ 要买♥♥就得趁现在
It’s not on the market yet, so you must take it at once.
阿齐 你也来隐居吗
Well, Archer, rusticating?
那一夜 他订的书从伦敦寄来
That night he did not take the customary comfort
却无法令他像往日一般开怀
in his monthly shipment of books from London.
单调的日子使他倍感无趣
The taste of the usual was like cinders in his mouth.
有时他甚至觉得
And there were moments when he felt
他快被往后的日子活埋
as if he were being buried alive under his future.
纽伦 明天晚点来 我得向你解释
“Newland, come late tomorrow. I must explain to you.
艾伦
“Ellen.”
发生了什么事吗
Newland. Has anything happened?
对 我非见你不可
Yes. I found I had to see you.
怎么啦 – 没什么
What is it? – Nothing.
你每天做些什么事
So tell me what you do all day?
有些人从费城和巴尔的摩而来
Well, there are a few very pleasant people
他们在旅馆举♥行♥野宴
from Philadelphia and Baltimore who are picnicking at the inn,
莫家弄了个草地网球场
and the Merrys are setting up a lawn tennis court,
可是没有人会打
but nobody here’s really heard of the game yet.
只有我和凯特带了球拍
I have my racket, of course, and so does Kate Merry,
可她有严重的支气管炎
but she’s had this terrible case of bronchitis.
她还没完全康复
She’s still not quite got over it yet, so…
我来这里
But I thought… I came here because I thought
就是希望你能避开那些社交
I could persuade you to break away from all that,
尽快跟我结婚
to advance our engagement.
你知道我有多么想娶你吗
Don’t you understand how much I want to marry you?
我们何必再浪费一年呢
Why should we dream away another year?
我就是不明白
I’m not sure I do understand, Newland.
你对我是否变了心
Is it because you’re not certain of feeling the same way about me?
你在胡说些什么
What on earth do you mean?
是不是有第三者
Is there someone else?
第三者
Someone else?
你我之间
Between you and me?
我们把话谈开来吧
Let’s talk frankly, Newland.
我觉得你变了 特别是在我们订婚之后
I’ve felt a difference in you, especially since our engagement.
什么
Since our engagement?
如果没有 谈谈也无妨
If it’s untrue, then it won’t hurt to talk about it.
如果有 我们更需要谈谈
And if it is true, then why shouldn’t we talk about it now?
或许你找错了对象
I mean, you might have made a mistake.
如果你不是我的理想对像
If I’d made some sort of a mistake, would I be down here,
我会催你尽快与我结婚吗
asking you to hurry our marriage?
或许吧
I don’t know. You might.
使自己没有选择的余地
It would be one way to settle the question.
两年前在新港
In Newport, two years ago,
我们订婚之前
before we were promised,
大家都说你另有所爱
everyone said there was someone else for you.
我看过你们在舞会时
I even saw you with her once,
一起坐在阳台上
sitting together on a veranda at a dance.
她进门时神情落寞
When she came into the house, her face looked so sad.
我真为她难过 订婚之后
I felt sorry for her, and even after, when we were engaged,
我仍忘不掉她的神情
I could still see how she looked and…
你就是在担心这个
Is that… Is that all you’ve been concerned about?
那早就过去了
It’s long passed.
那么是其他事吗
Then is there something else?
没有 当然没有
No. Of course not.
无论如何 纽伦
Whatever it may have been, Newland,
我不能将快乐建筑在别人的痛苦上
I can’t have my happiness made out of a wrong to somebody else.
假如你对别人许下誓言
If promises were made, or if you feel in some way pledged to this person,
即使对方得因此而离婚
even if it means her getting a divorce,
也别为我而舍弃她
then, Newland, don’t give her up because of me.
这根本就是子虚乌有
There are no pledges.
我没对别人许下誓言
There are no promises that matter.
我一直想对你说
That’s all I’ve been trying to say.
我们之间没有第三者
There is no one between us. There is nothing between us, May.
所以我才催你
Which is precisely my argument for getting married.
尽快与我结婚
Quickly.
他觉得她又变回了纯真的小女孩
He could feel her dropping back to inexpressive girlishness.
她总算释怀了
Her conscience had been eased of its burden.
他心想 真美妙 如此的深情
It was wonderful, he thought, how such depths of feeling
却和如此缺乏想象力共聚一身
could coexist with such an absence of imagination.
成功了吗 – 没有
And did you succeed? – No.
还是希望您能帮我在四月完婚

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!