或许是嫌我们乏味无趣
Sometimes, I think we’ve always bored her.
或许回到丈夫身旁会使她快活些
I wonder if she wouldn’t be happier with her husband after all.
我从不知道你如此残忍♥
I don’t think I’ve ever heard you be cruel before.
残忍♥
Cruel?
即使是魔鬼也不会觉得人在地狱会快乐
Even demons don’t think people are happier in Hell.
当初她就不该远嫁海外
Then she shouldn’t have married abroad.
让我来 走 驾
Here, let me. Go on. Walk on.
布朗克斯母女 邀布朗克斯母女吃饭
The Blenkers? A party for the Blenkers?
谁啊
Who are they?
她们住朴茨茅斯 艾伦住在她们家避暑
The Portsmouth people, I think. The ones Countess Olenska is staying with.
西勒顿夫妇敬邀周三下午三点
“Professor and Mrs. Emerson Sillerton request the pleasure Wednesday afternoon,
欢迎布朗克母女们莅临
“At 3:00 o’clock, punctually to meet Mrs. and the Misses Blenker.
红色院墙 凯瑟琳街
“Red gables, Catherine Street.”
我们不好意思不去
I don’t think we can decline.
何必去呢 他是个考古学家
I don’t see why, really. He’s an archaeologist.
他可是西勒顿·杰克逊的表兄
And he’s Sillerton Jackson’s cousin.
好吧
Of course.
一定要有人去才行
Some of us will have to go.
我去 珍妮 陪我去吧
I’ll go over. And, Janey, why don’t you come with me?
艾伦一定会去的 你可以见到她的
I’m sure Cousin Ellen will be there. It will give you a chance to see her.
纽伦 你一个人可以打发时间吧
Newland, you can find a way to spend your afternoon, can’t you?
我想我会好好利用时间
I think for a change, I’ll just save it instead of spending it.
也许我会开车去农场 看看布鲁厄姆的新马
Maybe I’ll drive to the farm to see about a new horse for the brougham.
至少杰克逊家没有选择杯赛日来举办他们的宴会
Well, at least the Jacksons didn’t choose the day of the Cup Race for their party.
当然啦 如果真是那样我也不感到奇怪
Of course, I shouldn’t be surprised if they had.
你好
Hello?
抱歉 是你按铃吗 我正在吊床上睡觉
I’m sorry. Did you ring? I’ve been asleep in the hammock.
把你吵醒了 抱歉
Well, I didn’t mean to disturb you.
布朗克小姐吗 我叫纽伦·阿齐
Are you Miss Blenker? I’m Newland Archer.
久仰大名
Yes. I’ve heard so much about you.
我想来这儿买♥♥匹新马
I came to the island to look for a new horse.
本想登门拜访 但没人在家
I thought I’d call, but the house seems to be empty.
对 大伙儿都去赴宴去了
It is empty. They’re all at the party.
只有发烧的我和奥兰斯卡伯爵夫人没去
Everyone’s there, but me with my fever, and Countess Olenska.
噢 你找到我的伞了
Oh, you found my parasol.
这是我最爱的一把伞 喀麦隆制的
It’s my best one. It’s from the Cameroons.
真漂亮
Well, it’s very pretty.
伯爵夫人不在吗
The Countess was called away?
对 她接到来自波士顿的电报
Yes. A telegram came from Boston.
她说她得去两天
She said she might be gone for two days.
我好喜欢她的发型 你呢
I do love the way she does her hair, don’t you?
好像是小说中的女主角
It reminds me of Sir Walter Scott.
你不知道 我明天也要去波士顿一趟
You don’t know… I’m sorry, but I have to be in Boston tomorrow.
你知道她住在哪儿吗
You wouldn’t happen to know where she was staying?
艾伦
Ellen.
我是来出差的 刚到
I’m here on business. I just got here, actually.
你的发型变了
You’re doing your hair differently.
女佣没来
Only because my maid’s not with me.
她留在朴茨茅斯了 我只来两天 所以没带她来
She stayed back in Portsmouth. I’m here only for two days. It didn’t seem worthwhile.
你一个人来的
You are travelling alone?

Yes.
你认为太危险吗
Why? Do you think it’s a little dangerous?
只是不太符合传统
Well, it’s unconventional.
大概是吧
Yes, I suppose it is.
我刚做了更有违传统的事
I’ve just done something so much more unconventional.
我拒绝拿回属于自己的钱
I refused to take back money that belonged to me.
有人找你谈了吗
Someone came with an offer?
什么条件
What were the conditions?
我回绝了
I refused.
告诉我是什么条件 – 也没什么
Tell me the conditions. – Nothing unbearable, really.
只是偶尔扮演女主人
Just to sit at the head of his table now and then.
他不计代价要你回去吗
And he wants you back at any price?
很高的代价
Well, it’s a considerable price.
至少对我而言
At least, it’s considerable for me.
你是来见他的吗
So, you came to see him?
在这儿见我丈夫 怎么可能
My husband? Here? No, of course not.
他托人来传话
No. He sent someone.
他的秘书
His secretary?

Yes.
他还没离开
He’s still here, in fact.
他坚持留下 等待我改变心意
He insisted on waiting, in case I changed my mind.
纽伦 你一点都没变
You haven’t changed, Newland.
我变了 见到你后才又变回样
I had changed until I saw you again.
求求你别再说了
Please don’t.
让我陪你一天吧 我不会说任何烦心的话
Just give me the day. I’ll say anything you like, or nothing.
你允许我才开口说话
I won’t speak unless you tell me to.
我只想陪陪你
All I want is some time with you.
他会去旅馆找你吗
I want to get you away from that man. Is he coming to hotel?
十一点会来 – 我们该走了
At 11:00… – Well, let’s go now.
我得留个纸条
I’ll have to leave a note at the hotel.
写在这上面吧 我有纸
Write on this. I have the paper.
瞧 这都是命运的安排
You see how everything is predestined?
看见没 这是新式自来水笔
And these? Have you seen these? The new stylographic pen.
就像
It’s just like…
就像甩温度计里的水银
It’s like jerking down the mercury in a thermometer. Now.
试试看
Try that.
没法写
It’s not working.
应该没问题了
That should do it.
要我拿进去吗 – 等我一下
Shall I take it in? – I’ll be only a moment.
那天你怎么没去海边找我
Why didn’t you come down to the beach to get me the day I was at Granny’s?
因为你没回头
Because you didn’t turn around. I swore…
我发誓你回头我才叫你
I swore I wouldn’t call you unless you turned around.
我是故意不转身的
But I didn’t look around on purpose.
你知道
You knew?
你看见你的马车
I recognised the carriage when you drove in.
所以我才去海边
So, I went to the beach.
躲我躲得远远的
To get as far away from me as you could.
对 尽我所能
As I could, yes.
我们还是得面对现实
Well, you see, it’s no use. It’s better if we face each other.
我只想对你坦白
I only want to be honest with you.
所以你欣赏布霍
Honest? Isn’t that why you always admired Julius Beaufort?
他比我们任何人都坦白
He was more honest than the rest of us, wasn’t he? We’ve no character.
我们全是假道学
No colour, no variety.
你为何不回欧洲
I don’t know why you don’t just go back to Europe.
我想是为了你吧 – 我
I believe that’s because of you. – Me?
我听了一个女人的话 娶了另一个女人
I’m the man who married one woman because another one told him to.
你答应过今天不谈这些事的
You promised not to say such things today.
我没有办法不提
I can’t keep that promise.
梅呢 梅的感受呢
What about May? What about how May feels?
如果你把我的婚姻当成是某种胜利
If you’re using my marriage as some victory of ours,
你就没有不回去的理由
then there’s really no reason on earth why you shouldn’t go back.
你让我首度见识到现实
You gave me my first glimpse of a real life.
又要我虚伪度日
And then you told me to carry on with a false one.
没有人能承受这种苦
No one can endure that.
我正在承受
I’m enduring it.
我知道你会回去的
What’s the use? I know you’ll go back.
我不会的
I won’t. Not yet.
只要你我还熬得下去 我不会的
Not as long as we both can stand it.
你不该过这种日子
This is not a life for you.
我心甘情愿 只要它是你生活的一部分
It is, as long as it’s part of yours.
你不会回去吧
You won’t go back?
我不会回去
I won’t go back.
他将再次遇见她
He would see her again.
在剧院或在宴会上
At the theatre, or a reception.
或许就坐在她身旁
Perhaps he might be seated next to her.
或许他们还有独处的机会
Perhaps they might have another time alone, somewhere.
但他不能没有她的日子
But he could not live without seeing her.
(背景歌♥曲 “Marble Halls”歌♥手: 恩雅 Single by Enya)
♪ 而我亦怀梦 最让我着迷的是 ♪
♪ But I also dreamt which charmed me most ♪
♪ 你爱我依然 ♪
♪ That you loved me still the same ♪
♪ 你爱着我 ♪

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!