connect up with.
他是那种永远在追寻着的人
He had to have the thing to chase.
他没法真正去获得他想要的
He could never have a thing he could catch.
所以当Laurie和另外一个人结婚的时候
So, when she married someone else,
对Daniel来说可更好了,这样他终于可以真正为感情的死去而悲伤了
it was even better because then he could really pine.
你懂的,Laurie就永远遥不可及了
You know, she was gone.
可能这就是上帝开的小玩笑吧,他注定得承担所有苦难
And it’s just God’s little joke that it happens to be an undertaker.
所以他对这一切都欣然接受了
So he really liked that event
虽然它们给他带来了无边无际的痛苦
even though it causes him great pain.
每当Daniel闷闷不乐的时候
Well, when Dan got depressed,
他总通过弹琴来发泄,但我没法理解他的悲伤
he took to playing the piano, but I didn’t understand the depression.
I Had Lost My Mind-Daniel Johnston
(DANIEL SINGING) l had lost my mind
I lost my head for a while Was off my rocker, out of line, out of whack
You see I had this tiny crack in my head
That slowly split open and my brains oozed out
It’s lying on the sidewalk and I didn’t even know it
I had lost my mind
Why, I was sitting in the basement when I first realized it was gone
Got in my car Rushed right over to the lost and found

I said, “Pardon me but I seem to have lost my mind”
She said, “Well, can you identify it please?”
I said, “Why sure, it’s a cute little bugger
“About yea big a little warped from the rain”
She said, “Well then, sir, this must be your brain”
I said, “Thank you, ma’am, I’m always losing that dang thing”
I had lost my mind
我们都觉得很浪费时间
We felt that it was, uh, wasting time
让他继续留在大学里
to keep him in college
因为根据他的表现猴年马月都毕不了业
because he was never gonna graduate the way he was going.
所以我们干脆让他退学,把他送到了..
So we took him out of college and sent him to
休斯顿和他哥哥一起住
Houston to live with his brother.
爸妈尝试把他引入正轨
Mom and Dad were trying to get him on the right track.
在他们的脑海里,这就意味着过一种勤勤恳恳的生活
In all of our minds, that meant a productive life.
正常而又丰富
A well-rounded life.
不是那种自暴自弃的生活,去打一份工就是这种生活的一部分
Not a self-absorbed life. A job is part of that.
为了帮助他
And in an effort to help,
我提出让他暑假来六旗天文世界(主题公园)工作
I said, “Let Dan come down for the summer, work at Astroworld.
希望通过这份工作让他慢慢立足
“And maybe this will get him on his feet or something.”
刚从六旗天文世界..
回家
妈妈今天给我寄了一个包裹
和一个…
插入另一台录音机的插座
以及我想要的延长线
这样我终于可以分轨录音了
当他知道自己得去德州
DICK: When he found out that he had to go to Texas
且没法带自己的钢琴
and he would be without his piano,
他的录音计划看来没法实现了
that put a wrench in his plans.
所以他拖着他的琴
So he got ahold of this organ
带到了我家的地下室
and he takes it into my garage
把我的举重椅改装成了他的录音室
and he turned my weight bench into a recording studio.
DANIEL:怎么样啊Dave,过的还好吗
DANIEL: How are you doing, Dave? How’s it going?
我现在专注于做我的专辑
I’m working on the album now.
就是那张新的,叫 Yip/Jump Music
On the new release, Yip/Jump Music.
我是不是听起来有点像那种MTV大明星
I sound like some kind of MTV person, don’t I?
我把我的琴带来了,刚刚组装好
I brought out the chord organ. I just set it up.
我想给你弹一首专辑里的歌♥
I thought I’d play you one of the songs I played on the album.
所以我得先把电子琴打开
So, I’ll turn on the chord organ here.
我知道他在录专辑,因为能听到他唱歌♥的声音
DICK: I knew he was recording. I could hear him singing.
但我当时完全一无所知
But I had no perception that he was,
就是,我不知道他在创作那样的传世金曲
you know, in his mind, making this masterpiece.
Chord Organ Blues-Daniel Johnston
我很想给他提供些帮助,当时我以为自己说的都是金玉良言
DICK: I wanted to help Dan and I thought I was giving great prophetic advice.
我和他说,Daniel你将来一定会在某些领域
I said, “Dan, you know, someday you’re going to be really good
功成名就的
“at something and very successful.
但肯定不是在艺术和音乐领域
“But it’s not gonna be your art and it’s not gonna be your music.”
我们只能这样去劝他,Daniel你不能整晚整晚不睡觉
We had to say, “Look, Dan, you can’t stay up all night.
你得按时去就寝的呀
“You’re gonna have to go to bed at some kind of decent hour.
至少过点和正常人类似的生活吧
“And kind Of live life With the rest of us.”
我哥哥想把我赶走
大概在九月一号♥
我挺希望这能奏效的,因为,额…
自力更生真的很难,你知道的
然后开启自己的事业
更别说他们一个个都那么凶
把你当成乞丐之类的东西来对待
Margie有那么点被卷入到这个事情里来了,她说她可以
DICK: Margie kind of stepped in and said that she could, uh,
你懂的,看看能为他做点什么
you know, see what she could do to help him.
于是我们帮他收拾好东西,看着他离开
And we packed him up and off he went into the distance.
我当时觉得,唔
I thought, “Well…
他需要找个地方住,而我又是他的姐姐,他可以来我这住嘛
“He needs a place to go and I’m his sister, and, well, he can come and stay here.”
所以他住进了我的复♥式♥公♥寓♥
So he came to live with me in my duplex.
不过那时,我没有多余的家具给他用了
Now, I didn’t have extra furniture for him.
我们让他睡在地板上的床垫
We got him a mattress that was just on the floor.
但他当时却很适应于这种氛围
But he seemed to thrive in this atmosphere
因为没人逼着他收拾了
because he was allowed to make a mess.
我找到了一张专辑,额…
叫做England’s Ambassador of Jazz
由Johnny Dankworth和他的乐团制♥作♥的
我看见里面有首叫做Desperate Dan的歌♥
我把它放出来听了听
在听到它的那一刹那我完全被它打动了
我以为一切都安排的很好,直到我有天回到家
I thought everything was fine. Then one day I came home
结果发现他不在家,
and he wasn’t there, which…
我当时没有多担心,因为我们并不互相通知自己的行程
I wasn’t too worried ’cause we didn’t tell each other everywhere we were going.
但到了第二天早晨他仍然没有出现
But when he wasn’t there in the morning when I got up,
他整晚未归,这可不常见
and he hadn’t come home all night, that was not typical.
他决定去买♥♥辆机动单车
MABEL: He made a decision to buy a moped.
然后他直接骑着它消失了,对吧,Bill
And he disappeared on the moped, right, Bill?
是这样的
Yes.
他加入了移♥动♥游乐园的队伍,然后跟着他们离开了
And he joined the carnival and went with them.
我们当时没法联♥系♥到他
We weren’t able to contact him.
当时真的是我心情最低落的时期了
It’s the saddest time in my life,
儿子下落不明,说不定他还在苦苦求援
not to know where your son is and he might be needing help.
Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Your Grievience-Daniel Johnston
当我待在那个游乐园的时候
DANIEL: When I was with the carnival,
那有个叫做Tricia的小姑娘
this little girl at the carnival, her name was Tricia.
从小就在那长大
She’s a carnival girl. She’s grown up with the carnival
她当时大概三岁
and she’s about three years old.
我们热狗站开着的时候她总会过来
All the time she would come into the corn-dog stand when we were open.
开的很慢,我们就会假装这是一艘宇宙飞船
And it was slow, you know, and we would pretend it was a spaceship, you know.
我弹着我还没来得及调音的吉他,她会跟着唱起一首小曲
I would bang on this untuned guitar and she started singing this little song,
“必胜客,必胜客,旋转木马”
(SINGS) “Pizza Hut, Pizza Hut, merry-go-round”
我不可能不想家,但我待在这也挺好的
Yeah, I do miss home. I’m down here and I’m okay.
因为不管我在哪,我心中永远有音乐陪伴着我
Because wherever I am, I got music in my heart.
在那段时间,我心里像有个没落地的石头一样
MABEL: During that time, I had a rock inside my chest.
我以为他已经躺在哪个地方的坟里了
I thought he might be in a shallow grave someplace.
他在四月上旬离开
He left the first part of April
我记得应该是父亲节的时候他打电♥话♥过来告诉我们他身处何处
and I think it was Father’s Day when he called and let us know where he was.
这是来自Daniel Johnston的付费电♥话♥
DANIEL: Collect call from Daniel Johnston, please.
Speeding Motorcycle-Daniel Johnston
(DANIEL SINGING) Speeding motorcycle
Of my heart
Pretty girls have taken you for a ride
Hurt you deep inside
The road is ours
(WHOOPS)
Daniel最后用一种极其不寻常的方式回到奥斯汀
The way Daniel ended up in Austin is so incredible
近乎于成为我们当地的一个传说了
that it really sounds like an urban legend.
当这个移♥动♥游乐园最后到奥斯汀的时候
When the carnival came to Austin,
他正在移♥动♥卫生间上厕所
he was going to the bathroom in the porta-potty
有人在厕所外面等的不耐烦了
and someone was upset about how long he was taking
就开始砸厕所的门
and they were banging on the door.
Daniel出来时才发现那人是个壮汉
And so when he came out, it turned out it was like a really big, tough carnie guy.
Daniel被他拖在地上揍
And he just hauled off and like, socked him. -(PUNCHING)
真的真的给Daniel伤到了
And really, really hurt him bad.
他又不知道该怎么办
And Daniel didn’t know what to do.
只是在那到处找
He just started looking
找一个教堂
-for a Church of Christ. -(HYMN PLAYING)
直到他终于找到了基♥督♥大学教堂
And he wandered until he saw the University Church of Christ.
他直接冲进去请求帮助
And he went in and he just asked them to help him.
最后终于被带去救治了
And they ended up taking him, you know, to the doctor and everything
还给他提供了一套公♥寓♥
and leasing him an apartment.
移♥动♥游乐园已经离开了,把我晕头转向地丢在了奥斯汀
我头真的被伤的很重
带着我坏掉的机动单车站在那片空地上
不知道自己该去向何处
那时才意识到自己在奥斯汀高楼林立的市中心
那个退休的喜剧演员向我保证,只要我多加休息,很快能把头恢复好
他当时有听说我在的那个队,叫Glass Eye
KATHY: He had heard the band I was in, which was Glass Eye.
我们刚刚在本地混出点名气
And we were just getting popular locally.
他看到了我们演出的海报
And he saw a poster for our show.
他认定这就是一个命运般的暗示
And he decided that this was a really magical sign
他觉得自己一定得予以回应
and he really needed to go to it.
所以他来了我们的现场,给了我一份他的磁带
And he came to the show and he gave me a copy of his cassette.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!