——一个作家。-哦,不。
– A writer. – Oh, no.
他为报纸撰稿。
Who writes for the newspaper.
不。一名医生。
No. A doctor.
我想要深色头发。
I would like dark hair.
——黑发。——金发。
– Dark hair. – Blond.
哦,不。不值得信任。
Oh, no. Untrustworthy.
把枕头给我,约瑟芬!
Give me the pillow, Josephine!
我觉得对你来说还是放在腿旁边比较好。
I think for you still it’s better beside your legs.
这是好的。
That was good.
胜利。我又有机会了。
Triumph. I get another go.
我们壳吗?
Shall we shell?
有些盘子。布拉沃。
-Some plates. -Bravo.
-它们有点花哨。-哦。
-They’re a little fancy. -Ooh.
是的,请不要掉在地上。
Yes, don’t drop them, please.
费利西,你见过比这更好的刀吗?
Felicie, did you see a better knife than this?
——为什么?-因为这个太可怕了。
– Why? – ’Cause this one’s dreadful.
好吧。
All right.
或者一个卷笔刀。
Or a sharpener.
我去拿派。
I’ll go and get the pie.
在托儿所里和路易斯·韦恩一起路易斯·韦恩托儿所书爸爸猫路易斯·韦恩
IN NURSERYLAND WITH LOUIS WAIN THE LOUIS WAIN NURSERY BOOK DADDY CAT LOUIS WAIN
路易?
Louis?
没关系。不久了,彼得。
It’s all right. Not long now, Peter.
我们要去哪里?
Where are we going?
我们要去哪里?
Where are we going?
我想我们很快就该停下来了。
I think we should stop quite soon.
你累了吗?-我很累。
– Are you tired? – I’m quite tired.
路易?
Louis?
午餐 来吧。
-Lunch. -Come.
-来吃吧。-来吧。
-Come and eat. -Come.
我想他是想转移电力。
I think he’s trying to divert the electricity.
哦,那一次。
Oh, that again.
我很害怕,路易。
I’m scared, Louis.
我也是。
Me too.
放开我!离开我!
1900 Get off me! Get off me!
不,我说了,滚开!
No, I said, get off!
放开我!
Let go of me!
他的姐♥妹♥们♥又过了好几年没有找到一个求婚者,尽管威廉爵士对病情进行了乐观的预测,玛丽的病情还是没有好转。
His sisters went several years more without finding a single suitor, and in spite of Sir William’s cheery prognosis, Marie’s condition did not improve.
Elphick医生。Wain小姐
-Dr Elphick. -Miss Wain.
在他们唯一的儿子经历了一场灾难性的婚姻之后,他们的其中一个成员现在正式成了一个胡言乱语的疯子,这对改善这个家庭的社会地位没有任何帮助。
After the catastrophic marriage of their only son, the fact that one of their number was now officially a raving lunatic did nothing to help the family’s social status.
谢谢你,医生。——最好的。
-Thank you, Doctor. -All the best.
后来,他最好的老师和朋友,他亲爱的老彼得去世了。
And then, his great teacher and best friend, his dear old Peter, passed away.
就像一只在燃烧的烤箱里疯狂的蝙蝠,路易斯的心尖叫着,拍打着。
Like a frenzied bat in a burning oven, Louis’ heart was a screaming, flapping mess.
他哭了好几年,但与此同时,他又有了一种不同寻常的新发现:他越是痛苦,他的作品就越美。
He wept without ceasing for several years, but at the same time, he was overtaken by an extraordinary new discovery, that the more intensely he suffered, the more beautiful his work became.
他意识到,他对他亲爱的妻子埃米莉和亲爱的彼得的记忆,已经成为大气中神秘电流的强大导体,而他至今仍无法驾驭这种电流。

He realised that the memories he still held of his dear wife, Emily, and darling Peter had become powerful conductors of that mysterious electricity in the atmosphere that he had so far been unable to harness.
——Wain先生?——嗯?
– Mr Wain? – Hmm?
你知道我被传唤的原因吗?
Are you aware of the reason I’ve been summoned?
我猜是想告诉我们玛丽在精神病院过得怎么样。
I assume it’s to inform us on how Marie is doing in the asylum.
或者对我的猫的神经进化进行研究。
That or to conduct a study on the neural evolution of my cats.
布丽奇特已经说了一半了。你不,布丽姬特?
Bridget’s already halfway to talking. Aren’t you, Bridget?
我尽力而为恐怕不行,韦恩先生。
I do my best I’m afraid not, Mr Wain.
但我是猫虽然你问了,玛丽最近似乎好多了。——跳跃 !
but I am cat Although since you ask, Marie seems to be – coping much better of late. – jomping!
听到这个消息我很高兴。
I’m very glad to hear it.
我一直在研究一项精神病学的专利,我本来想给你们看的。-我喜欢跳跃!
I have been working on a psychiatric patent – that I meant to show you. – I like jomping!
-这是电动套装-电动套装?
-It’s for an electric suit. -An electric suit?
全身衣服。由铜和丝钢制成。
Full body suit. Made of copper and silken steel.
连接在一个大型机械马达上,通过神经系统向大脑传递积极的电流,从而治愈病人所有有害的想法,彻底根除他们的精神错乱。
Attached to a large mechanical motor that transmits a positive current through the nervous system and into the brain, thus curing the patient of all harmful thoughts and eradicating their lunacies entirely.
你想看一下吗?
Would you care to take a look at it?
不,谢谢,韦恩先生。这是一个耻辱。
-No, thank you, Mr Wain. -That’s a shame.
我觉得这药很有可能完全治好玛丽的病。
I think there’s a very high chance that it could cure Marie entirely of her sickness.
我被叫来这里,韦恩先生,因为你妹妹卡洛琳担心你的健康。
I’ve been called here, Mr Wain, because your sister Caroline is concerned for your health.
我的健康吗?她为什么要关心我的健康?
My health? Why would she be concerned about my health?
担心的不只是卡罗琳,路易。
It’s not just Caroline who is concerned, Louis.
我知道你在计划一次旅行,韦恩先生?
I understand you’re planning a trip, Mr Wain?
确实。我给几家出版社发了一些生动的信件,其中包括一些新的例子。
Indeed. I have sent some colourful missives to several publications, including some new examples.
更多受电影响的采样。
More electrically influenced samplings.
我很高兴地说,伟大的《纽约美国人》的威廉·赫斯特给了我一个全职的职位,作为他们的漫画家,而且收费相当高。
I’m happy to say the great William Hearst of the New York American has offered me a full-time post as their cartoonist at a considerable fee.
你为什么一定要去纽约?太远了。
Why do you have to go to New York? It’s too far.
超过3000英里。
Over 3,000 miles.
因为,正如你们都热切地提醒我的,我们目前缺乏资金。
Because, as you are all so keen to remind me, we are lacking in funds at the minute.
这不是我们的房♥子。我们欠债了。
This is not our house. We are in debt.
由于我们非常熟悉的各种原因,我的工作目前在这些海岸上没有什么价值。
And for a variety of reasons that we are very well acquainted with, my work is currently of little value on these shores.
更重要的是,美国人对猫的态度落后了好几光年。
What’s more, the people of America are light years behind in their attitude towards cats.
我想你已经读过罗斯福和他与日本人♥民♥的君子协定。
I assume you’ve been reading about Roosevelt and his Gentlemen’s Agreement with the people of Japan.
日本的孩子将和他们的美国同胞和移♥民♥父母在同一所学校接受教育,他们可以在美国的街道上自♥由♥漫步,但他们的猫可以吗?

Japanese children will now be taught in the same school as their American compatriots and their immigrant parents can freely roam in the streets of America, but can their cats?
在这方面,我帮了这个国家很大的忙。
I have helped this country a great deal in this regard.
现在我必须帮助美国的猫。
Now I must help the cats of America.
无论好坏,埃尔菲克博士,我是一个棱镜和一个转化负电的漏斗。
For better or worse, Dr Elphick, I am a prism and a transformative funnel for negative electricity.
在这动荡的时刻,我想让美国人♥民♥微笑。
In these tumultuous times, I want to make the people of America smile.
我这辈子都没见过美国人笑。
I’ve never seen an American smile in my life.
你从来没见过美国人。
You have never seen an American.
是时候改变了。
It’s time to change that.
你来这里的唯一原因是我姐姐叫你来的因为她从我12岁起就非常嫉妒我会做任何事来阻止我发挥我的全部潜能。
The only reason that you are here is my sister has summoned you because she is extremely jealous and has been since I was 12 years old and will do anything to prevent me reaching my full potential.
韦恩先生,毫无疑问你有妄想症。
Mr Wain, there is no question that you are delusional.
但是仅仅是宏伟的幻想并不是把你送进医院的充分理由。
But mere delusions of grandeur are not sufficient reason to commit you to hospital.
我强烈建议你不要去纽约。
I would quite strongly advise against your trip to New York.
我建议你留在这里休息一下,在你进入人生的下一个篇章前,对未来有个初步的认识。
I’d suggest you stay here to rest, gain a little perspective before you proceed to the next chapter of your life.
但最终决定权在你。
But ultimately, the choice is yours.
你可以逃离你的家庭,路易。
You can run away from your family, Louis.
你无法逃避你的悲伤。
You cannot run away from your grief.
它跟着你。
It trails you.
像一个狂暴的阴影。
Like a violent shadow.
你,先生,你似乎是那种想与时俱进的人。
You, sir, you seem like the kind of man who wants to keep up with the times.
纽♥约♥时♥报♥。
The New York Times.
Guiraud城♥堡♥。快点。
Chateau Guiraud. Hurry up.
是的,先生,是的。
Yes, sir, yes.
一到纽约,路易斯就立刻被空气中物质含量的明显不同所打动。
Upon arriving in New York, Louis was immediately struck by a palpable difference in the material content of the atmosphere.
很明显,这是一个电力过剩的城市。
It was clear that this was a city with an enormous surfeit of electrical energy.
把饮料送到九号♥桌去。
Get those drinks to table nine now.
是的,先生。
Yes, sir.
每个爱猫的人都知道猫咪最喜欢坐在一张牛皮纸上。
Every cat fancier knows puss loves nothing more than to sit on a piece of brown paper.
猫知道电风湿病的危险,当然,如果你需要惩罚一只猫,你可以把纸弄皱,让它发出雷声。
Cats are aware of the dangers of electrical rheumatism, and of course if you ever need to punish a cat, you could just crumple the paper to make the sound of thunder.
猫会得风湿病吗?是的,当然,西蒙斯小姐。
-Do cats get rheumatism? -Yes, of course, Miss Simmonds.
韦恩先生,我们给员工看了你养猫的照片。
Mr Wain, we have been showing your cat pictures to our staff.
他们一直在笑。他们一直在笑。
They’ve been laughing. They’ve been smiling.
告诉他,艾丽西亚。告诉他我没撒谎。
Tell him, Alicia. Tell him I’m not lying.
我们的一个打字员,她把你的照片给她的孩子们看她说他们趴在地上跑来跑去,假装是猫。
One of our typists, she took some your pictures to her kids and she said that they were running about on their hands and knees, pretending to be cats.
假装是猫!多么可爱!
Pretending to be cats! How cute!
还想要猫当生日礼物。
And asking to have cats for their birthday.
我们会把你弄出去的。你是个有个性的人。
We’re gonna get you out there. You’re a personality.
你说呢,艾丽西娅,亲爱的?你是猫先生。
Wouldn’t you say, Alicia, honey? You’re Mr Cat.
-你是猫人。——猫人。
– You’re Cat Man. – Cat Man.
他是猫人。猫人。
-He’s Cat Man. -Cat Man.
我觉得这很有道理。
I think that has a certain ring to it.
但我喜欢路易斯·韦恩。
But I like Louis Wain.
我想这也有一定的意义。
I think that has a certain ring to it too.
我能问你个问题吗,韦恩先生?
Can I ask you a question, Mr Wain?
为什么猫?
Why cats?
只要记住,无论事情变得多么艰难,无论你感觉自己多么挣扎,这个世界都是充满了美丽。
Just remember, however hard things get, however much you feel like you’re struggling… the world is full of beauty.
而这一切都取决于你,路易。
And it’s up to you to capture it, Louis.
去找。
To look.
并与尽可能多的人分享。
And to share it with as many people as you can.
你没事吧,韦恩先生?
You all right, Mr Wain?
她的窃窃私语是在树叶沙沙作响的风里传来的,或是在电雨潮湿的噼啪声中传来的。
Her whispers come in the leafy tickle of the wind, or the wet crackle of the electric rain.
到了晚上,我转动无线的拨盘,希望能在来自来世的大气电流中找到线索。
And at night, I turn the dial of the wireless, hoping to catch clues in the atmospheric electricity that comes from the afterlife.
如何继续这场讨♥伐♥?
How to continue with this crusade?
因为是爱米丽第一次教会了我猫的本质。
For it was Emily who first taught me the true nature of cats.
猫的真正价值。
The true value of cats.
只有通过了解猫,了解它们是如何被误解和虐待的,而这仅仅是简单的盲目偏见,我才开始理解人类。
It is only through understanding cats, how they are misunderstood and mistreated, for no other reason than simple blind prejudice, that I came to understand human beings.
我们都被一种邪恶的电腐蚀了。
How we are all corrupted by a foul form of electricity.
只有通过那些具有变革天赋的人的努力,我们才能战胜它。
And it is only through the work of those who have the transformative gift that we can defeat it.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!