他说,这玩意儿叫做RSS
And he explains to me what RSS is.
I’m like, “Why is that useful, Aaron?”
然后他跟我解释什么叫做RSS。我还是很茫然:这东西有什么用?
“Is any site using it?
Why would I want to use it?”
网站会用它吗?为什么我会想用它?
There was this mailing list for people who are
working on RSS, and XML more generally,
这有一个邮件列表(早期互联网社区形式),里面列出的大部分是RSS和XML的编程人员
and there was a person on it named
Aaron Swartz who was combative but very smart,
其中有个家伙叫艾伦•斯沃茨,很好胜,很聪明
and who had lots of good ideas, and
他总有许多创意
he didn’t ever come to the
face-to-face meetings, and they said,
他好像从来不参加当面交流的集♥会♥
“You know, when are you gonna come out
to one of these face-to-face meetings?”
其他人问他,你什么时候才会参与我们的群聊
And he said, “You know, I don’t think
my mom would let me. I’ve just turned fourteen.”
他说:你知道的,我才14岁,我妈不会让我去的啦
And so their first reaction was: “Well, this person,
this colleague we’ve been working with all year
所以听者的第一反应就是:原来我们合作了一整年的同事
was thirteen years old while we were
working with him, and he’s only fourteen now.”
刚来时才13岁,现在才14岁
And their second reaction was:
他们接下来的反应就是
“Christ, we really want to meet him.
That’s extraordinary!”
天啊,我们一定要见见他,这也太不可思议了!
He was part of the committee that drafted RSS.
他是RSS创建团队的成员之一
What he was doing was to help build
the plumbing for modern hypertext.
他当时正在为现在通行的超文本构建框架
The piece that he was working on, RSS,
was a tool that you can use to get summaries
而他在草拟的工具,RSS,是一个用于整合信息的工具
of things that are going on on other web pages.
能把各处网站的信息汇总起来
Most commonly, you would use this for a blog.
你可以用它来阅读博客
You might have 10 or 20 people’s blogs you wanna read.
也许你想看10个人或者20个人的博客
You use their RSS feeds, these summaries of
what’s going on on those other pages
你订阅一个RSS源,其中就聚合了那些博客里的信息
to create a unified list of all the stuff that’s going on.
RSS源会整理出一张清单,让你知道他们都写了什么
Aaron was really young, but he understood
the technology and he saw that it was imperfect
艾伦年纪轻轻深得技术的精髓,他看到技术的不足之处
and looked for ways to help make it better.
就想改进它
So his mom started bundling him on planes in Chicago. We’d pick him up in San Francicso.
所以他妈妈把他送去了芝加哥,我们在旧金山跟他会面
We’d introduce him to interesting people to argue with, and we’d marvel at his horrific eating habits.
我们把他介绍给各种牛人,相互交流。我们对他奇特的饮食习惯感到惊讶
He only ate white food, only like steamed rice and not fried rice ’cause that wasn’t sufficiently white
他只吃白色食物,比如蒸熟的饭,他不吃炒饭,因为炒饭不是纯正的白色
and white bread, and so on…
他还吃白面包之类的
and you kind of marveled at the quality of the debate emerging from this,
你会惊讶于那些如此有深度的话
what appeared to be a small boy’s mouth,
居然出自这个小男孩之口
and you’d think, this is a kid that’s really going to get somewhere if he doesn’t die of scurvy.
你会觉得,如果这个小孩没有因为吃太少死于坏血病什么的,一定会干出一番事业
Aaron, you’re up!
亚伦,该你发言了
I think the difference is that now you can’t make companies like dotcoms.
我认为区别在于你现在不能创办出像达康那样的公♥司♥
You can’t have companies that just sell dog food over the Internet, or sell dog food over cell phones.
你不能去做仅仅在线上和移♥动♥端销♥售♥鸡肋产品的公♥司♥
But there’s still a lot of innovation going on.
但仍然有很多创新的事正在萌发
I think that maybe if you don’t see the innovation, maybe your head is in the sand.
如果你没有看到它们,我认为你就可能是井底之蛙了
He takes on this, like an alpha nerd personality, where he’s
他身上具有的alpha型性格(指一种认为自己有义务和能力去改变坏时代的救世精神)
sort of like, “I’m smarter than you, and because I’m smarter than you, I’m better than you,
就像:我比你更聪明,正因如此,我比你更有能力和资格
and I can tell you what to do.”
去告诉你应该怎么做
It’s an extension of, like, him being kind of like a twerp.
这是一种自我膨胀,他是个有点让人讨厌的家伙
So you aggregate all these computers together and now they’re solving big problems
你把所有电脑集中起来,就可以解决大问题
like searching for aliens and trying to cure cancer.
像探秘外星人或尝试治愈癌症
I first met him on IRC, on Internet Relay Chat.
我第一次到注意他的行动,是在IRC上 (IRC:一款聊天软件)
He didn’t just write code, he also got people excited about solving problems he got.
他不仅只写代码,也使人们因能够解决问题而兴奋
He was a connector.
他是一个联结者
The free culture movement has had a lot of his energy.
他投入了很多精力在自♥由♥文化运动中
I think Aaron was trying to make the world work. He was trying to fix it.
我觉得亚伦正在试着去让世界变好,他正尝试去修复这个世界
He had a very kind of strong personality that definitely ruffled feathers at times.
他的个性很强,肯定不时碰壁
It wasn’t necesarily the case that he was always comfortable in the world
这个世上没有哪件事让他觉得舒服称心
and the world wasn’t always comfortable with him.
他与这个世界格格不入
Aaron got into high school and was really just sick of school.
亚伦去上了中学,但他很讨厌学校
He didn’t like it. He didn’t like any of the classes that were being taught. He didn’t like the teachers.
他不喜欢上学,他不喜欢任何一门课,他不喜欢那些老师
Aaron really knew how to get information.
但亚伦却知道怎么获取知识
He was like, “I don’t need to go to this teacher to learn how to do geometry.
他的态度是,我不需要非得去学校课堂里学习几何
I can just read the geometry book,
我可以自己学习几何
and I don’t need to go to this teacher to learn their version of American history,
我不需要跟着老师去学他们口中的美国历史
I have, like, three historical compilations here, I could just read them,
比如我喜欢这三本历史汇编书籍,我就可以自己阅读
and I’m not interested in that. I’m interested in the Web.”
但我对那些不感兴趣,我真正感兴趣的是网络
I was very frustrated with school. I thought the teachers didn’t know what they were talking about,
我对学校相当反感,我认为这些老师自己也不知道自己在讲什么
and they were domineering and controlling, and the homework was kind of a sham,
他们非常爱摆弄权威和控制,家庭作业也充满水分
and it was all just like all about a way to pen students all together and force them to do busywork.
他们似乎用尽全力把学生关起来,逼他们去努力学习
And, you know, I started reading books about the history of education
我开始读有关教育史方面的书
and how this educational system was developed,
和教育体系发展方面的书
and, you know, alternatives to it and ways that people could actually learn things
通过灵活的方式去做事,人们才可以真正的学到东西
as opposed to just regurgitating facts that teachers told them,
不能仅仅咀嚼老师们教的东西
and that kind of led me down this path of questioning things, once I questioned the school I was in,
学校那一套教育方式让我对探索真知的道路很失望,一旦我质疑我所在的学校
I questioned the society that built the school, I questioned the businesses that the schools were training people for,
我就会质疑症个社会构建的学校,质疑学校培养的各行各业的工作者
I questioned the government that set up this whole structure.
我质疑政♥府♥,正是它造成这样一整个社会结构
One of the thing he was most passionate about was copyright, especially in those early days.
在早年间,他最热衷的事是版权问题
Copyright has always been something of a burden on the publishing industry and on readers,
版权对出版业和读者来说一直是种负担
but it wasn’t an excessive burden. It was a reasonable institution to have in place
但是那不是过度的负担,版权的存在是合理的
to make sure that people got paid.
它让作者获得报酬
What Aaron’s generation experienced was the collision between this antique copyright system
亚伦这一代人经历的是旧的版权制度和我们正在尝试建立的新事物之间的冲突
and this amazing new thing we were trying to build–the Internet and the Web.
新事物即互联网和网络
These things collided, and what we got was chaos.
这些相互冲突,导致我们最后获得了一团乱麻
He then met Harvard Law Professor Lawrence Lessig,
他拜访了哈佛的法律教授Lawrence Lessig
who was then challenging copyright law in the Supreme Court.
那时候,教授向最高法♥院♥提出了对版权法的质疑
A young Aaron Swartz flew to Washington to listen to the Supreme Court hearings.
年轻的亚伦随即去往华盛顿去听最高法♥院♥听证会
I am Aaron Swartz and I’m here to listen to the Eldred–to see the Eldred document.
我是亚伦,我来这是为了听Eldred……来看Eldred发言的
Why did you fly out here from Chicago, and come all this way to see the Eldred argument?
为什么你从芝加哥飞过来并且想尽办法来看Eldred发言?
That’s a more difficult question…
这是个很复杂的问题
I don’t know. It’s very exciting to see the Supreme Court,
我不知道,能来最高法♥院♥听证,我感到很兴奋
especially in such a prestigious case as this one.
尤其是这次有一个这么著名的案例
Lessig was also moving forward with a new way to define copyright on the Internet.
Lessig教授也用了新的方法去探索如何定义因特网中的版权
It was called Creative Commons.
这被称作知识共享
So the simple idea of Creative Commons is to give people–creators–
所以我认为,知识共享意思就是给创作者
a simple way to mark their creativity with the freedoms they intended to carry.
一个简单的方法去记录他们自♥由♥的创想
So if copyright is all about “All Rights Reserved”, then this is a kind of a “Some Rights Reserved” model.
如果说旧的版权问题是关于“版权所有”,现在的议题就是“部分版权所有”
I want a simple way to say to you, “Here’s what you can do with my work,
我想简单的告诉你“你能将我的工作成果应用于这些方面”
even if there are other things which you need to get my permission before you could do.”
即“你必须得到我的许可,才能应用于其他方面”
And Aaron’s role was the computer part.
亚伦在电脑编程方面发挥了作用
Like, how do you architect the licenses so they’ll be simple and understandable
例如用简单易懂的方式设置许可证
and expressed in a way so that machines can process it?
用合适的表达方式,让机器处理进程
And people were like, “Why do you have this fifteen-year-old kid writing the specifications for Creative Commons?
有些人会问,你怎么能让一个十五岁的孩子去写知识共享的格式呢
Don’t you think that’s a huge mistake?”
你不觉得这是个大错?
And Larry is like, “The biggest mistake we would have done is not listening to this kid.”
LARRY回答:“最大的错误是我们没有听那个孩子的建议。”
He barely is not even tall enough to even get over the podium,
他只是不够高,所以不能登上领奖台
and it was this movable podium so it was this embarrassing thing,
尴尬的是领奖台不可以调高
where once he put his screen up nobody could see his face.
一旦这场面被放上银幕,没有人能够看到他的脸
When you come to our website here, and you go to “Choose License”.
当你以作者身份登陆我们的网站,你可以选择许可证页面
It gives you this list of options, it explains what it means, and you’ve got three simple questions:
它列出了选择清单,解释了许可证的意思,你只需回答三个简单的问题
“Do you want to require attribution?”
你要求归属权么?
“Do you want to allow commercial uses of your work?”
你允许你的作品被用于商业用途吗?
“Do you want to allow modifications of your work?”
你允许你的作品被修改吗?
I was floored, just completely flabbergasted that these adults regarded him as an adult,
我很震惊,很惊讶这些成年人把他当做成年人看
and Aaron stood up there in front of a whole audience full of people, and just started talking
亚伦在所有观众面前站起来
about the platform that he’d created for Creative Commons,
讲他为知识共享创造的平台
and they were all listening to him, just…
他们都认真倾听
I was sitting at the back, thinking: he’s just a kid, why are they listening to him?
我当时坐在后面想,“他只是个孩子,为什么大家都听一个孩子的?”
But they did…
但他们就是听了
Well, I don’t think I comprehended it fully.
好吧,我不认为我可以完全理解
Though critics have said it does little to ensure artists get paid for their work,
虽然批评者说,这样做不能确保作品创造者能得到报酬
the success of Creative Commons has been enormous.
知识共享取得了巨大的成功
Currently on the website Flickr alone, over 200 million people use some form of Creative Commons license.
目前单单是一个FLICKR网站(分享信息的系统软件),就能使超过2亿的人使用某些知识共享的许可
He contributed through his technical abilities, and yet it was not simply a technical matter to him.
亚伦靠他的技术能力成名了,虽然对他而言,这已经不单单是一件技术活儿了
Aaron often wrote candidly in his personal blog:
亚伦经常在他的私人博客里畅所欲言
I think deeply about things, and I want others to do likewise.
我深度思考事情并且我希望其他人也像我这样做
I work for ideas and learn from people. I don’t like excluding people.
我为创意而工作,也向别人学习。我不喜欢排斥别人或把人分成三六九等
I’m a perfectionist, but I won’t let that get in the way of publication.
我是一个完美主义者,但我不会让这阻碍出版事业
Except for education and entertainment, I’m not going to waste my time
除了教育和娱乐业
on things that won’t have an impact.
我不会浪费时间在没有影响力的事情上
I try to be friends with everyone, but I hate it when you don’t take me seriously.
我试着和每个人交朋友,但如果别人不把我当回事,不尊重我,我也会不爽
I don’t hold grudges, it’s not productive, but I learn from my experience.
我不会积怨,但我会吸取经验
I want to make the world a better place.
我想让世界变得更好
In 2004, Swartz leaves Highland Park and enrolls in Stanford University.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!