我想作者
I should not have expected
一定不会活得那么安逸恬静吧
their author to have lived so quiet a life.
房♥子还喜欢吗
The house is to your liking?
喜欢
Yes.
能透过窗户看到城♥堡♥真好
I’m happy to see the castle from the window.
每间屋子都有火炉
There’s a fire in every room.
我雇了位奶妈
And I’ve taken the liberty
由她来照顾你
of employing a nurse who will attend to you.
是位善良的本地人
She’s a local woman but of good kind.
镇上的集市很冷淡 不过肉商很好
It’s a sleepy market town with a very fine butchers.
教堂新修缮过 一定要去看看
And the church is newly restored, which you must visit.
去帕丁顿的快车只要18分钟
The fast train from Paddington takes 18 minutes.
或者
Or alternatively,
还有从维多利亚或滑铁卢到温莎的列车
there’s a train to Windsor from Victoria or Waterloo,
也很不错
which also serves well.
内莉
Nelly?
城♥堡♥好像在云中
It’s as if it’s floating.
你会来看我的吧
You will come to see me?
当然会的
Yes. Of course.
-每周一次吗 -每周两次 甚至更多
– Weekly? – Twice weekly. More.
我要是有需求呢
And if I should need anything?
告诉我就好
You need only ask.
周末和假日你会来吗
And should I expect you at weekends and holidays?
-会 可是我的家人 -是啊
– Yes, but my family… – Of course.
有条件就来
When you can.
是的
Yes.
崔汉姆要留着吗
And shall we keep Tringham?
留着吧
Yes.
那就这样吧
Then this is how it is to be now.
我无论做什么事
Whatever I have tried to do in life,
都要尽力做到最好
I have tried with all my heart to do it well.
-无论我投身… -别这样 查尔斯
– Whatever I’ve devoted myself to, I… – Don’t, Charles.
不用解释
Don’t explain.
没什么好说的
There’s nothing to say.
每个人都有秘密
Everyone has their secret.
这就是咱俩的秘密
And this is ours.
好吧
Yes.
我遇到狄更斯先生时 已不是个孩子了
I was not a child when I met Mr. Dickens.
我18岁了
I was 18.
我们的交情颇多坎坷
It wasn’t easy, our friendship.
可还是有过快乐的时光
Yet there were days of such joy, such celebration.
我们也曾欢笑过
And we’d talk and laugh together.
他知道是自己先离开我
He knew he’d leave me first.
先走一步
That he would die first.
查尔斯明白 不论多么痛苦
Charles understood that however painful it is,
我们都是独自一人
we’re alone.
无论和谁在一起
Whoever we’re with,
也是独自个人
we are alone.
他说对了
He was right.
《远大前程》
Great Expectations.
他写了结局 第一次凭直觉写的
He wrote an ending. It was his first instinctive ending.
一个好的结局
A good ending.
皮普和艾斯黛拉没有在一起
Pip and Estella do not come together.
皮普明白她永远不属于自己
Pip sees that she will never be his.
后来有人要他修改结局
Later they wanted him to change it.
觉得太过残酷
Some people thought it too brutal.
所以
So instead…
皮普的遗言改成了
Pip’s final words are…
“我看到了她挥之不去的阴影”
“I saw the shadow of no parting from her.”
他的书 结尾是阴影
He ends the book in shadows.
是不确定
In uncertainty.
永难忘怀
In haunting.
我的生活就是那样
And that is where I have been living.
你明白了吗
Do you see?
明白了
Yes.
我再不要这样的生活了
I will not live there anymore.
内莉
Nelly.
你来晚了 天都黑了 你去哪了
You’re late. It’s nearly dark. Where have you been?
乔治
George.
我在这
I am here.
我在这
I am here.
你还好吧
Are you quite well?
很好 乔治
Yes, George.
你确定吗
Are you sure?
我今天和本纳姆先生散步去了
I walked with Mr. Benham today.
我们聊了狄更斯先生
We talked about Mr. Dickens.
好吧
Yes.
乔治
George…
孩童时期的记忆 内莉
The memories of a child, Nelly.
乔佛里
Geoffrey.
乔佛里
Geoffrey.
别吓到客人
You will frighten our guests.
他是想吓一下妈妈
I think he was trying to frighten his mother.
乔佛里
Geoffrey.
-快去 演好自己的角色 -好的 妈妈
– Go on, take your place. – Yes, Mama.
内莉
Nelly.
先生们 终于破晓了
Well, my lads, the day has broken at last.
今天的天气怎么样
What do you say to the weather now?
天气还不错
I say the weather will do.
我可不确定
I say doubtful.
我看得出来 风暴要来袭了
I can see for myself there’s a storm coming.
有雪的味道 空气中有飓风的味道
I smell the snow. I can feel the hurricane in the air.
无论给我多少钱
No money those gentlemen can offer
我今天都不会翻过这座山
will tempt me to cross the mountain with them today.
好了 你决定没 同我们一起翻山吗
Well, are you ready at last to cross the mountain with us or not?
如果其他人去 我就去
I say yes, if the others will say yes, too.
我不去
I say no!
我生在山里
I am mountain boy.
我对上山的路熟悉得不得了
I know the pass up there as I know my ABC.
你熟悉吗 你要是敢冒险 那我也敢
You know the mountain. If you risk it, I will.
我听您差遣 一定一直陪伴你们
I’m your man. I will guide you to your journey’s end.
-随时待命 -出发吧
– Say when. – Now!
-准备好了吗 -准备好了 来吧
– Are you ready? – I am ready. Come along.
这是个忧伤的故事
This is a tale of woe.
是个悲情的故事
This is a tale of sorrow.
一段爱情化为虚影 另一段则留存至今
A love denied, a love restored, to live beyond tomorrow.
不要用沉默来掩饰悲伤的心
Lest we think silence is the place to hide a heavy heart,
记住 我们存在的意义
remember, to love and be loved is life itself
就是爱与被爱
without which we are nought.
幕后的女人

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!