There is such clarity in your performance, Nelly.
谢谢你 范妮
Thank you, Fanny.
-你在台上太美了 -谢谢 玛利亚
– You looked so beautiful. – Thank you, Maria.
狄更斯先生 您来看戏为何不说一声
Mr. Dickens, why didn’t you tell us you were coming?
我临时起意
A last minute impulse.
-狄更斯先生 -亲爱的巴克斯通
– Mr. Dickens. – My dear Buckstone.
有您来观赏 小社荣幸之至
Always a pleasure to have you grace our theater.
谢谢 今晚着实精彩
Thank you. A memorable night.
艾伦小姐 您的表演实在太精彩了
Miss Ellen, you were simply splendid.
谢谢 阿诺特先生 您也是
Thank you, Mr. Arnott. As were you.
您的书写得如何了 狄更斯先生
And how is the writing, Mr. Dickens?
进展十分顺利
My writing is ferocious.
我早7点起床 洗冷水澡后用早餐
I’m up at 7:00, cold bath before breakfast,
全力写作直到下午3点
then I blaze away until 3:00.
期间尽量心无旁骛
I fight not to be distracted.
您何不坐下聊
Won’t you sit?
还是免了吧
No, I don’t think.
天色已晚 想必您也累了 狄更斯先生
It’s very late. You must be tired, Mr. Dickens.
事情实在太多 我已经晕头转向了
There’s so much to do, I don’t know whether my head is on or off.
内莉 请你一定来见见我的几位好友
Nelly, you must come and meet my very good friends.
谢谢 阿诺特先生 我很乐意
Thank you. Yes, Mr. Arnott, I’d be delighted to.
-这位是安布罗斯 -您好
– This is Ambrose. – Hello.
-她很受欢迎啊 -的确
– She is much in demand. – Indeed.
请进 请进
Come through. Come through.
谢谢 特南太太
Thank you, Mrs. Ternan.
-范妮 玛利亚 招待客人 -好的母亲
– Fanny, Maria, we need to feed our guest. – Yes, Mother.
不用这么麻烦
Please do not trouble yourself,
-特南太太 -食品柜里还有些肉
– Mrs. Ternan. – There is some meat in the larder.
还有水果 还有面包
And some fruit. And bread.
内莉 麻烦你为狄更斯先生拿些喝的
Nelly, would you bring a drink for Mr. Dickens?
还真是令人舒适啊
This is enchanting.
看来基恩先生演过奥赛罗
I see you have Mr. Keene as the Moor.
我演奥赛罗的妻子苔丝狄蒙娜
I played his Desdemona.
请把外套给我吧 狄更斯先生
May I take your coat, Mr. Dickens?
我看出来了 谢谢 特南太太
I know. Thank you, Mrs. Ternan.
我丈夫则演伊阿古
And my husband was Iago.
是啊 “别了 宁静的心绪”
Indeed. “Farewell the tranquil mind.”
-谢谢 -请坐吧
– Thank you. – Would you sit?
这是我们屋里唯一一把不塌的椅子
It is the only chair in the house
还请您自己调适姿势吧
that doesn’t sag should you shift in search of comfort.
多谢好意提醒
Well, I am warned. Thank you.
-这是火腿和李子 -还有面包和奶酪
– We have ham and plums. – And some bread and some cheese.
太感谢了
This is charming.
还有葡萄酒
And wine.
我快要乐不思蜀了
Then I shall never leave.
-请当心 -抱歉
– Watch the… – Sorry.
我真是不知道该怎么摆脱他
And I didn’t know how I could get rid of him.
-然后您怎么说的 -我倒是应该这么说
– And then what did you say? – Well, what I should have said was,
“安徒生先生 尽管您的《丑小鸭》极为精彩
“Mr. Andersen, though your Ugly Duckling has delighted,
“但您已在这房♥里
“You’ve slept in this room
住了五周了 您真的该回家了”
for five weeks now and you must go home.”
-但你没说 -我没说
– But you did not. – I did not.
为什么不说
Why didn’t you?
因为他听不懂英语
He doesn’t understand English.
他只说丹麦语 我看他连丹麦语都不见得懂
He only speaks Danish, and I’m not sure he understands Danish.
我真想学学他的语言然后对他说
I was tempted to learn his language so I could say to him,
“您以后不要待这么久 免得主人生厌”
“May you never outstay your welcome so long again.”
似乎我也待得有些久了
And now it seems that I have done the same.
怎么会呢
No, never.
女士们 多谢盛情款待
I will thank you, ladies, for a pleasurable night.
人无良友 实枉此生
Life is nothing without good company.
恭喜你 内莉 你的表演非常棒
Congratulations, Nelly, on your performance.
谢谢
Thank you.
晚安 晚安 几位女士
Good night, ladies. Ladies, good night.
-晚安 -晚安
– Good night. – Good night.
您的房♥子非常漂亮
This is a very pretty cottage.
谢谢 只不过小了点
Thank you. If a little small.
我们登台做戏本就不图金钱
The rewards of our profession are rarely monetary.
不过我也没有其他的收入了
But I would have it no other way.
这世上没有完全无用的人
No one is entirely useless
只要他们懂得如何减轻负担
in this world if they may lighten the burden.
我的女儿们都非常优秀
My daughters are fine young women.
但有时 我为她们的未来担心
Sometimes, I’m anxious for their future.
我理解
I understand.
我有什么能帮得上忙的地方吗
If I may be of assistance in any way?
我不能拿内莉的名誉冒险
I cannot risk Nelly’s reputation.
那我希望我的援助不会伤及她的清誉
I hope that nothing I could offer would compromise her.
晚安 特南太太
Good night, Mrs. Ternan.
晚安 狄更斯先生
Good night, Mr. Dickens.
-晚安 女士们 -晚安
– Good night, ladies. – Good night.
快出来
Come on out.
吹一发吧 先生 只要一先令
Shilling a blow, sir? Shilling a blow?
你马上回家 我就给你五先令
I shall give you 5 if you go home safely tonight.
也可以不在外面 先生
I can play house, sir.
需要我去家里侍奉你吗
Want me as your wife, sir?
你的母亲在哪
Where is your mother?
昨晚就餐时 坐在我旁边的一位先生
Last night, I sat next to a gentleman at dinner,
颇为愤怒地问我
and he asked me in some fury
为什么这座城市
why it was that our city
要救扶那些无意自救的人
should help those who do not help themselves.
他指的是那些
By “Those” he meant the many
我们时常见到的风尘女子
fallen women that we see around us every day,
以及她们的子女 他们都指望着这座医院
and their offspring, many who rely on this hospital today.
而我说道
I replied,
“贫穷与疾病这两个冷酷的护士
“The two grim nurses, poverty and sickness,
“将这些儿童接生到人世
“bring these children before you and preside over their births,
“给他们破碎的童年 早早地让他们夭折
“rock their wretched cradles, nail down their little coffins,
“在他们的坟墓上添土
“pile up the earth above their graves.
“在这座伟大城市每年横死的人
“Their unnatural deaths form one
有三分之一是这些儿童”
third of the annual deaths in this great town.”
“那上帝呢” 他虔诚地问道
“But what of God?” He piously replied.
“他又如何” 我说
“What of Him?” I said.
“我认为上帝会仁慈地对待一切
“I feel sure God looks leniently on all vice
“因人的天性和情爱所滋生的罪恶”
“that proceeds from human tenderness and natural passion.”
今晚 我也希望诸位能做到这般宽仁
I hope we will, too, and give generously tonight.
谢谢
Thank you.
-谢谢 夫人 -晚安 先生
– Thank you, ma’am. – Good night, sir.
谢谢 夫人
Thank you, ma’am.
-晚安 -谢谢 殿下
– Good night. – Thank you, My Lord.
-谢谢 -非常感谢
– Thank you. – Thank you very much.
-晚安 -谢谢
– Good night. – Thank you.
我想您还能更慷慨一些 先生
I’m sure you can do better than that, sir.
玛利亚 范妮 内莉 掏空他们的口袋了吗
Maria. Fanny. Nelly. Have we fleeced them?
这次收获颇丰 狄更斯先生
With every ounce of our souls, Mr. Dickens.
太感谢了 太感谢了
Thank you. Thank you.
居然募到了这么多善款
I did not believe we would raise so much money.
先用在哪呢
Where does one begin?
-他们需要数一数 -是啊
– They’ll take some counting. – Yes. Yes.
-了不起的成就 -我们得庆祝一下
– Such an achievement. – We must celebrate.
-太好了 庆祝吧 -那就庆祝一下
– Yes! We must! – We shall.
我们到了 请进特南太太 请进
Here we are. Please, Mrs. Ternan, come through.
您这是要搬进来还是搬走
Are you moving in or out,
-狄更斯先生 -我在考虑出租
– Mr. Dickens? – I’m thinking of letting it.
我妻子不喜欢时刻受人瞩目
My wife prefers to live outside of the public glare.
伦敦让她精疲力竭
London tires her and Gad’s Hill
她希望和子女在盖德山共享天伦
is where she likes to retreat with the children.
是罗切斯特附近的盖德山吗
Gad’s Hill near Rochester?
是的 非常近 徒步就能到
Indeed, very close. Walking distance.
-内莉在罗切斯特出生的 -我在查塔姆求学
– Nelly was born in Rochester. – I was schooled in Chatham.
但我童年只记得纽卡斯尔
But my earliest memories are of Newcastle.
那我就不太熟了

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!