You’d better be careful. You see where it’s gotten me.
最好小心 你看到这想法对我的影响了
Oh, I see. That’s the topic of discussion here.
知道了 就是我们讨论的主题
The darker picture is always the correct one.
黑暗面总是正确的
When you read the history of the world
看世界历史的时候
you are reading a saga of bloodshed and greed and folly
就是在看杀戮 贪婪和荒唐的传奇
the import of which is impossible to ignore.
而它们的影响却不容忽视
And yet we imagine
但我们仍然幻想
that the future will somehow be different.
未来可能会不一样
I’ve no idea why we are even still here.
我不知道咱们为什么还在这
In all probability we won’t be here much longer.
不论怎样 我们都不能待得更久
Them’s some pretty powerful words, Professor.
这些话很有力 教授
That’s what’s in your heart though, ain’t it?
都是你的心里话 对吧
Yes.

All right, well, I can relate to them thoughts.
好吧 我能明白这些想法
You can? Sure I can.
你能吗 当然可以
That surprises me.
我很吃惊
But you could be wrong, you know.
你也可能错了 你知道的
I don’t think so.
我不觉得
That ain’t something you have a lot of in your life, is it?
你不经常这样 对吧
What isn’t? Being wrong.
不经常什么 犯错
I admit it when I’m wrong. Oh, I don’t know about that.
我错的时候会承认 这我倒不知道
Well, you’re entitled to your own opinion.
你当然可以有自己的想法
Oh yeah, here it is.
找到了
Story on page three.
在第三版
“Friends reported that the man had ignored all advice
“朋友们说他无视所有建议
and stated that he intended to pursue his own course.
声称要坚持追寻自己的方向
A close confidant stated… ”
一个密友说…”
and this here is in quotations…
下面这些是引用的
“You couldn’t tell that son of a bitch nothing.”
“没法和这狗♥娘♥养♥的沟通”
Now can you say that in the paper…
你怎么能在报纸上说
“Son of a bitch”?
“狗♥娘♥养♥的”
“Blood-spattered spectators at the 155th Street station…
“血溅第155大街车站事件的目击者…
continued on page four…”
请转第四版…”
155th Street station…
第155大街车站
“Who were interviewed at the scene said
“一位现场受访者说
that the man’s last words
那个人冲向驶近的列车时
as he hurtled toward the oncoming commuter train were,
他最后说的话是
‘I am right.'”
‘我是对的'”
very funny.
很有趣
Oh, Professor, you an amazing man.
教授 你可真逗
I’m glad you find me entertaining.
你觉得我搞笑 我很高兴
Oh, I think you’re pretty special. I don’t think I’m special.
你可真不一般 没觉得自己不一般
You don’t? No, I don’t.
你没觉得吗 没有
You don’t think you view those other commuters
你不认为自己从某个高度
from a certain height?
俯视着其他过客吗
I view those other commuters
我觉得那些过客
as fellow occupants of the same abyssal pit
都在同一个深渊中生活
in which I find myself.
而我也身处其中
And if they see it as something different,
如果他们有不同看法
I don’t know how that makes me special.
这不能说明我有多特别
I hear what you’re saying.
我懂了
But still I keep coming back to these commuters,
但我还是不断回到那些过客身边
them that’s waiting on the Sunset.
那些焦急地等待日落号♥的人们
I can’t help but think there’s got to be something
我不得不认为
a little special about theirselves.
他们还是有一些特别之处的
I mean, they got to be in a deeper pit
我想 跟我们这些人相比
than us day travelers… deeper and darker.
他们应该是在一个更深的 更黑暗的深渊里
I ain’t saying they down as deep as you,
我倒不是说他们跟你一样深
but pretty deep maybe. So?
但也很深了 所以呢
So maybe they your brothers
所以也许他们跟你
in self-destruction and despair.
沉浸在自我毁灭和绝望中
I thought misery loved company.
我想苦难也喜欢有个伴
I’m sure I don’t know.
我不知道
Let me take a shot at it.
我再解释下
What I think is
我想的是
that you got better reasons than them.
你比他们有更好的理由
See, their reasons is that they just don’t like it here,
他们的理由就是他们不喜欢这里
but yours says what it is not to like
但你却知道到底不喜欢什么
You got more intelligent reasons, more elegant reasons.
你的理由更理性 更高雅
You making fun of me? No, I ain’t.
你在取笑我呢 不 没有
But you think I’m full of shit? No, I don’t think that.
但你觉得我是蠢蛋 不 我没这么想
But I don’t doubt that
但我不怀疑
it’s possible to die from being full of shit.
有人还是会蠢死
But I don’t think that’s what we’re looking at here.
但这不是我们现在要讨论的
What do you think we’re looking at?
那你觉得我们在讨论什么
I don’t know. You got me in uncharted territory.
不知道 你把我带进了未知的领域
You got these world-class reasons
你有一个世界级的
for taking the Limited
被日落号♥列车撞死的理由
where these other dudes… all they got is,
而其他那些人们 他们只是
well, maybe they just don’t feel good.
只是感觉不爽
It might could be that you ain’t even all that unhappy.
你可能不是那么的不开心
You think my education is driving me to suicide?
你觉得我所受的教育是驱使我自杀的原因
No, I’m just posing the question.
不 我只是提个问题而已
Well, wait a minute ‘fore you answer.
在你回答之前先等一下
Okay, go ahead.
好 继续吧
I think that’s the most ridiculous thing I ever heard.
这是我所听过最荒谬的事了
“I think that’s the most ridiculous thing I ever heard.”
“这是我所听过最荒谬的事了”
Very clever. What’s the point?
很聪明 你到底想说什么
The light is all around you
光明包围着你
but you don’t see nothing but shadow.
但你却只看到了影子
And you’re the one causing it.
而创造它的就是你自己
It’s you. You’re the shadow.
就是你 你就是影子
That’s the point.
我想说的就是这个
Well, I don’t have your faith.
好吧 我没有你那样的信仰
Why don’t we just leave it at that?
要不我们就说到这
You ain’t never thought about just starting over?
你从没想过重头再来吗
I did at one time. I don’t anymore.
我曾试过一次 但不会再试了
Well, maybe faith is just a case
信念也许正是当一个人
of not having nothing else left.
有所挂念时才会拥有的
Well, I do have something else.
我确实还有些东西
Well, why don’t you just keep that in reserve?
那你为什么不先别管那些
Just take a shot at starting over.
尝试一下重新开始
I don’t mean starting again. Everybody’s done that.
我不是说重头再来一次 那样每个人都干过
Over means over. Just walk away.
结束就是结束 然后就离开吧
I mean, if everything you are
如果你曾经的过去
and everything you have and everything you done
你曾经拥有的 你曾经做过的
has brought you at last to the bottom of a whisky bottle
最后只给你带来一瓶底的威士忌
or bought you a one-way ticket on the Sunset Limited,
或者一张日落号♥的单程车票
you can’t give me one good reason on God’s green earth
在这美丽的星球上你就找不到一个理由
for salvaging none of it, ’cause there ain’t none.
去挽救这一切吗 不是没有
If you can bring yourself
如果你能让自己去关上那扇
to close the door on all of that,
通往这一切的大门
it will be cold and it will be lonely
那将是寒冷的 孤寂的
and there will be a fierce wind blowing.
还会有凛冽的寒风
But you don’t say nothing.
但你不会抱怨
You just turn your collar up
你只需要竖起衣领
and keep walking.
继续前行
I can’t. I can’t.
我做不到 做不到
You want some more coffee?
还要咖啡吗
No, thank you.
不了 谢谢
Why do you think it is folks take their own life?
你觉得为什么会有人自杀
I don’t know. Different reasons.
不知道 各有苦衷吧
Is there anything these different reasons has got in common?
这些不同的原因中有没有共同点
I can’t speak for others.
我不知道他们的想法
My own reasons center around
我自己的原因主要是
a gradual loss of make-believe,
不想再继续伪装自己
a gradual enlightenment as to the nature
以及对于真理本质
of reality, of the world.
和世界本质的领悟
Them worldly reasons. If you like.
这是世界级的理由 如果你愿意这么说的话
Them elegant reasons. That was your description.
这是高雅的理由 那是你的理解

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!