What kind of work?
做什么工作
He was a lawyer.
他是个律师
A lawyer? Yeah.
律师 是啊
What kind of law did he do?
他是哪种律师
He was a government lawyer.
他是个公职律师
He didn’t do criminal law or anything like that.
他不涉及刑法之类
What would be a thing like criminal law?
什么属于刑法
I don’t know. Divorce law maybe.
我也不清楚 离婚法之类的吧
Maybe you got a point.
你可能说对了
What’d he die of?
他怎么死的
Who said he was dead?
谁说他死了
Is he dead? Yes.
他死了吗 是的
What did he die of?
他怎么死的
Cancer.
癌症
Cancer. So he was sick for a while?
癌症 那么他病了一阵子
Yes, he was.
是的
Did you go see him? No.
你去看过他吗 没有
How come? I didn’t want to.
为什么 我不想去
How come you didn’t want to?
你为什么不想去
I don’t know. I just didn’t.
我也不知道 就是不想去
Maybe I didn’t want to remember him that way.
可能我不愿让那样的他留在我的记忆中
Mm, bullshit.
胡说
Did he ask you to come?
他对你说过让你去吗
No.

But your mama did. She may have. I don’t remember.
但你母亲这样说了吧 可能说了 但我不记得了
Come on, Professor. You know she asked you to come.
行了吧 教授 你知道她叫你去了
Okay, yes.
好吧 是的
What did you tell her? I said I would.
你怎么回答她的呢 我跟她说我会去的
But you didn’t? No.
但你没去吗 没去
How come? He died.
为什么 他已经死了
No no, that ain’t it.
不 不 不是那样的
You had time to go see him, but you didn’t do it.
你有机会去看他 但你没去
I suppose.
大概是这样
You waited till he was dead.
你犹豫不决直到他去世
Okay,
好吧
so I didn’t go see my father.
我没去看过我父亲
Your father is laying on his deathbed dying of cancer.
你父亲躺于病榻将要死于癌症
Your mama’s sitting there with him, holding his hand.
你妈妈坐在旁边 握着他的手
He’s in all kind of pain.
他遭受着病痛折磨
They ask you to come see him one last time
他们请你在他去世前
before he died.
看最后一眼
And you tell them, “No, I ain’t coming.”
但你告诉他们 不 我不去
Please tell me I got some part of this wrong.
请告诉我 刚才哪里说错了
If that’s the way you want to put it.
如果你要那样想 那就是吧
Well, how would you put it? I don’t know.
那你是怎么做的呢 我不知道
Well, that’s the way it is then, ain’t it?
当时事情就是那样的 是吗
I suppose. No, ain’t no suppose.
大概是吧 别说大概是
Is it or ain’t it? Yes.
是或者不是 是的
Let me see if I can find my train schedule,
我来找找看 我的列车时刻表
see when that next uptown express is due.
看看下一班城区快车什么时候到
I’m not sure I see the humor.
我没找到什么笑点
I’m glad to hear you say that, Professor,
很高兴听你那样说 教授
’cause I ain’t sure either.
因为我也不确定
I get more amazed by the minute.
我只是觉得惊诧连连
How come you can’t see yourself, honey?
你怎么就看不清自己呢 伙计
You’re clear as glass.
你清明如镜
I can see the wheels in there turning, the gears.
我能看到轮子和齿轮在转动
I can see light too… good light,
我还能看到亮光…善之光
true light. Can’t you see it?
真之光 你看不到吗
No, I can’t.
不 我看不到
Well, bless you, brother.
好吧 祝福你 老兄
Bless and keep you,
祝福 保佑你
’cause it’s there.
因为那确实存在
When were you in the penitentiary?
你什么时候进的罪犯教养所
A long time ago. What were you in for?
很久以前 怎么会进去的
Murder. Really?
谋杀 真的吗
Now who would claim to be a murderer
现在如果没杀过人
that wasn’t one?
谁会声称自己是谋杀犯
You called it the jailhouse.
你称那里为监狱
Yeah.
是的
Do most black people call the penitentiary the jailhouse?
是不是大部分黑人都把罪犯教养所称为监狱
No, just us old country niggers.
不 只有我们这些老黑鬼
We make a point to call things what they is.
我们想怎么叫就怎么叫
I’d hate to think how many names there is for the jailhouse.
我讨厌去想监狱有多少种叫法
I’d hate to have to count them.
我讨厌计算有多少种叫法
Do you have a lot of jailhouse stories?
你是不是有很多监狱的故事
Jailhouse stories? Yeah.
监狱的故事 是啊
I don’t know.
我不知道
I used to tell jailhouse stories,
我曾讲过监狱的故事
but they kind of lost their charm.
但已是陈词滥调
Why don’t we talk about something
为什么我们不聊聊
that’s a little more cheerful?
高兴点的事呢
You ever been married?
你结过婚吗
Married?
结婚
Yeah. Oh man.
是啊 老兄
What?
怎么了
Maybe we ought to
也许我们应该
take another look at them jailhouse stories.
再聊聊监狱的故事
Oh my.
上帝啊
Do you have any children?
你有孩子吗
No, Professor. I ain’t got nobody.
没有 教授 我孤身一人
Everybody in my family’s dead.
家里人都去世了
I had two boys, but they died a long time ago.
我有过两个男孩 但他们很久前就死了
Just about everybody I ever knowed has died,
几乎我认识的每个人都死了
for that matter.
就此而言
You ought to think about that.
你要好好想想
I might be a hazard to your health.
我可能会对你健康有害
Were you always in a lot of trouble?
你以前是不是经常惹很多麻烦
Yeah, I was.
是的
I liked it.
我喜欢那样
I think I still do.
我想我还会那样
I done seven years hard time.
我度过了七年的艰难时光
Could have done a lot more. Hurt a lot of people.
可能还会久一点 我伤害了很多人
I used to smack ’em around,
我曾狠揍他们
and they wouldn’t get up no more.
他们再也没站起来
But you don’t get in trouble now? No.
但你现在没麻烦吧 没有
But you still like it?
但你还喜欢那样吗
Well, maybe I’m just condemned to it,
也许我是命中注定
bit in the ass by my own karma.
该遭受报应
But I’m on the other side now.
但现在我改邪归正了
You want to help folk that’s in trouble,
如果你想帮助那些有麻烦的人
you pretty much got to go where the trouble’s at.
你就得置身其中
You ain’t got a lot of choice.
你没选择
How long have you been here?
你在这里多久了
Oh, six… going on seven years.
6年… 快7年了
I don’t understand why you live here.
我不理解你为什么住这里
As opposed to where?
那该住哪里呢
Anywhere.
任何地方都行
Well, this pretty much is anywhere.
这里就是任何地方之一
I could live in another building, I suppose,
我想 我可以住其他楼里
but it’s all right.
但这里也不错
I got my bedroom over yonder
我有个卧室
where I can get away,
在那里可以逃离尘世
got a sofa where folk can crash…
还有个沙发 人们可以躺下休息
junkies and crackheads mostly.
但几乎都是瘾君子们
Of course they’re gonna walk off
当然他们会拿走
with all your portables,
所有搬得动的东西
so you can’t own nothing.
这样你就什么都不剩
But that’s good.
但那也不错
You hang out with the right crowd,
你可以和伙伴们在一起

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!