只能做出九个
I could only do nine.
好吧 谢天谢地 真棒
Well… oh… thank God… Bravo…
九个
Nine?
请进
Come in.
斯蒂芬 坐吧
Oh, Stephen, take a seat.
我想谈谈你的课题
I wanted to talk to you about your subject.
我们都等着你决定研究方向呢
We’re all rather concerned as to what it’s going to be.
我定不下来
I can’t decide.
有什么想法吗
Do you have any ideas?
没有
No.
好了…
So…
汤普森在这发现了电子[1♥8♥9♥7年]
This is where J.J. Thomson discovered the electron,
卢瑟福在这分♥裂♥了原子核[1909年]
and where Rutherford split the atom.
在剑桥搞研究的好处就是 你永远都不知道
You know, one of the great rewards of this job is one never knows
谁 在哪里
from where the next great
能搞出个重大发现来
leap forward is going to come, or from whom.
下周五 我要带几个优秀研究生去伦敦
Listen, next Friday, I’m taking a few graduates of merit to London,
参加数学家罗杰·彭罗斯的讲座
to attend a talk by the mathematician Roger Penrose.
你也来吧 如果有兴趣的话
You come along… if you’re interested.
走的时候记得关门
Oh, and close the door as you leave.
听说你从没去过教堂
So, I gather you’ve never been to church?
很久以前去过
Once upon a time.
想信教吗
Tempted to convert?
我不太信这种统领万物的神
I have a slight problem with the whole Celestial Dictator premise.
你午饭有安排吗 我妈烤的肉特别好吃
Now, what are you doing for lunch? Ma makes a cracking roast.
简 你是学什么的
So, Jane, what are you studying?
-文学 -要球甘蓝吗
– Arts. – Sprouts?
谢谢
Thank you.
法语和西班牙语 毕业希望继续读博
French and Spanish, and hoping to do a PhD eventually.
哪个方向呢
Oh, one arm.
中世纪伊波利亚半岛诗歌♥
Medieval poetry of the Iberian Peninsula.
中世纪诗歌♥…你喜欢哪位画家
Medieval poets… What painters do you like?
-我喜欢特纳 -特纳吗
– Well, I like Turner. – Turner, really?
我一直觉得他的画
You know, I always feel that his paintings
像被暴雨浇过似的
look as if they’ve been left out in the rain.
还有 威廉·布雷克
And… William Blake.
-简 来尝尝我的接骨木酒 -谢谢
– Jane, have some of my elderflower wine. – Yes, yes, thank you.
别试 别试 简
Don’t touch it, don’t touch it, Jane.
谢谢 他妈呢
Thank you. Mother?
斯蒂芬不喜欢我自己酿的酒 真没品味
Stephen doesn’t like my homemade wine…philistine.
给你塞几瓶带回学校
I’m going to send you back with a couple of bottles.
斯蒂芬 你和这位善良的女士去了教堂
So, Stephen, you have come from church with a good woman.
觉得自己圣洁吗
Are you feeling holier than thou?
非常圣洁 谢谢
Positively saintly… thank you.
你还没说自己为什么不信上帝
You haven’t said why you don’t believe in God.
物理学家的研究
A physicist can’t allow his calculations
不能受超自然的创世主影响
to be muddled by a belief in a supernatural creator.
听着好像是物理学家的问题啊
Sounds less of an argument against God than against physicists.
鸡胸还是鸡腿
Light or dark?
-简 鸡胸还是鸡腿 -鸡胸 谢谢
– Jane, light meat or dark? – Light, please.
我要请简做我五月舞会[剑桥传统]的舞伴
I’m inviting Jane to be my partner to the May ball.
真的吗 真棒
Really! Very impressive!
你要跳舞了 斯蒂芬
You’ll have to dance this year Stephen.
你妈烤的鸡腿 好了
Make way for my mother’s leg, here we go.
你好
Hello.
你好
Hello.
-抱歉 -你没事吧
– Sorry. – Are you okay?
-跳舞吧 -不跳
– Do you dance, Stephen? – No.
不跳了
No, I don’t dance.
我不跳 虽然我很喜欢看别人跳
I don’t. It’s a phenomenon I’m very happy to observe,
但我自己是不会跳的
but I can’t possibly imagine participating.
我也这么想的 谁愿意跳舞啊
I absolutely agree. I mean, who would want to dance?
说真的 我不跳舞
No, I’m serious, I don’t dance.
那就不跳了
No dancing then.
你看男生的衬衫前胸
Do you see how the men’s shirt-fronts
还有领结 比女生的礼服还闪亮
and their bow ties, how they glow more than the womens’ dresses?
-是啊 -知道为什么吗
– Yes. – Do you know why?
-为什么 -汰渍
– Why? – Tide.
洗衣粉
The washing powder.
洗衣粉里的荧光物质在紫外线照射下发光
The fluorescence in the washing powder is caught by the UV light.
你怎么知道的
Why do you know that?
恒星诞生和毁灭时 会辐射出紫外线
When stars are born and when they die, they emit UV radiation.
如果只能看到夜空里的紫外线
So, if we could see the night sky in ultraviolet light,
现在的星星就都不见了
then almost all the stars would disappear
只剩下恒星壮丽的诞生和毁灭
and all that we would see are these spectacular births and deaths.
-我觉得应该… -就像这个
– I reckon it would look a little… – Like that.
-为什么 -什么为什么
– So, why? – Why what?
为什么要研究中世纪西班牙诗歌♥
Why Spanish medieval poetry?
应该是我喜欢穿越时空吧…
I suppose I like to time travel…
…像你一样
…like you.
有哪段时空是你特别想去的吗
Are there any particular time periods that you’d like to visit?
-二十年代吧 -咆哮的二十年代吗[1920 北美]
– The imagine it’s the Twenties. – The Roaring Twenties?
耶茨 《The Song of the Happy Shepherd
“不要在天文学家那找寻知识
“Seek, then, No learning from starry men,
“他们只是用望远镜
“Who follow with the optic glass
“追随恒星纷飞的路径”
“The whirling ways of stars that pass.”
真棒
Bravo!
真壮观啊
Well, that’s astonishing, isn’t it?
“创世之初 只有天地
“In the beginning was the heaven and the earth,
“大地混沌 没有定型
“and the earth was without form,
“黑暗笼罩着深渊”
“And darkness was upon the face of the deep.”
和我共舞一曲吧
Will you dance with me?
三号♥站台 前往伦敦国王十字车站的列车
The train now departing from platform three is
将于九点十七发车
the nine-seventeen service to London King’s Cross.
快点 斯蒂芬 快点
Come on, Stephen. Get a move on.
怎么了你 快上来
What’s wrong with you, man? Chop-chop.
一颗恒星 体积是太阳的三倍多
A star, more than three times the size of our sun…
就要走到尽头 怎么结束呢 坍缩
ought to end its life, how? With a collapse.
整颗恒星的引力
The gravitational forces of the entire mass
克服了原子之间的斥力
overcoming the electromagnetic forces of individual atoms,
向内坍缩
and so collapsing inwards.
如果质量足够大 还会继续坍缩
If the star is massive enough, it will continue this collapse,
形成一个黑洞 翘曲了时空
creating a black hole, where the warping of space-time
什么都逃不出去 包括光
is so great that nothing can escape… not even light.
变得越来越小 越小
It gets… smaller… smaller.
恒星的密度越来越大
The star, in fact, gets denser, as atoms,
原子 甚至原子内的粒子都被压缩了
even subatomic particles get literally crushed into smaller and smaller space.
那最终 我们得到了什么
And at its end point what are we left with?
时空奇点
A space time singularity.
时空在这里停止
Space and time come to a stop.
我在想 如果把彭罗斯的理论
I wonder what would happen if you applied
从黑洞推广到整个宇宙呢
Penrose’s theory about black holes to the entire universe?
如果爱因斯坦是对的
If Einstein is right,
或者说广义相对论是对的
or if general relativity is correct,
那宇宙是在膨胀的 对吧
then the universe is expanding, yes?
-对 -好了
– Yes. – Okay, so…
如果时光倒流 宇宙就是在缩小
If you reverse time, then the universe is getting smaller.
-没错 -那么
– All right. – So…
如果一路倒♥退♥回去
What if I reverse the process all the way back
回到时间的起点呢
to see what happened at the beginning of Time itself?
-时间的起点 -对
– The beginning of Time itself? – Yes.
宇宙越来越小
The universe, getting smaller and smaller,
密度越来越大 温度越来越高
getting denser and denser, hotter and hotter as…
随着时间的倒流
As you wind back the clock.
-没错 时光倒流 -时光倒流
– Exactly, you wind back the clock. – Wind back the clock.
你是想让时光倒流吗[逆时针]
Is that what you’re doing? Are you winding back the clock?
没错
That’s what I’m doing.
继续转 还有好久呢 继续转
Well, keep winding! You’ve got quite a way to go! Keep winding.
我怕掉进去
I don’t want to fall in.
你得回到时间的起点
Well, you’ve got to go back to the beginning of time.
可有你转的 接着转 别停

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!