总是大叫大嚷 对人呼喝
always yelling your head off, always sore at everybody.
但你骗不了我
But you never fooled me with your song and dance. Not for a second.
我看得出
I kind of always knew that behind the cigar ashes on your vest…
你有广阔胸襟
you had a heart as big as a house.
回到办公♥司♥
Back in my office there was a phone message
收到狄太太
from Mrs. Dietrichson…
关于续保的留言
about the renewals.
她不想我明天晚上到府上
She didn’t want me to come tomorrow evening.
想改为星期四下午三时半
She wanted me to come Thursday afternoon at 3:30 instead.
我当天的时间排得 密麻麻
I had a lot of stuff lined up for that Thursday afternoon…
包括到圣莫尼卡
including a trip down to Santa Monica…
推销集体人寿保险
to see a couple of live prospects about some group insurance.
但我不断想起狄菲莉
But I kept thinking about Phyllis Dietrichson…
以及她戴踝环的方式
and the way that anklet of hers cut into her leg.
嗨 黎先生 你不进来吗
Hello, Mr. Neff. Aren’t you coming in?
我在考虑
I’m considering it.
希望你别介意我更改时间
I hope you didn’t mind my changing the appointment.
昨晚不太方便 没关系
Last night wasn’t so convenient. That’s all right.
反正我只是在看邮票
I was working on my stamp collection anyway.
我在弄冰红茶 你要一杯吗
I was just fixing some iced tea. Would you like a glass?
好 除非你有坏了的啤酒
Yeah, unless you’ve got a bottle of beer that’s not working.
也许有 我不肯定雪柜有什么
There may be some. I never know what’s in the icebox.
妮蒂
Nettie.
关于续保 我跟丈夫谈过
About those renewals, Mr. Neff. I talked to my husband about it.
是吗 对 他跟我说会续保
Oh, you did? Yes. He’ll renew with you, he told me so.
其实我以为他今天下午在家
As a matter of fact, I thought he’d be here this afternoon.
但他不在 是
But he’s not? No.
真可惜
That’s terrible.
妮蒂
Nettie!
我忘记了今天女佣放假
Oh, I forgot, today’s the maid’s day off.
别管啤酒 冰红茶也可以
Never mind the beer. Iced tea will be fine.
柠檬 糖 照你往常做法
Lemon? Sugar? Fix it your way.
既然女佣放假
As long as it’s the maid’s day off,
我可以帮你
maybe there’s something I can do for you.
例如吸尘 有趣
Like running the vacuum cleaner. Fresh.
我以前也推销过吸尘机
I used to peddle vacuum cleaners.
赚得不多 但令我看透人生百态
Not much money, but you learn a lot about life.
读万卷书不如行万里路
I didn’t think you’d learned it from a correspondence course.
你何时养成喝茶的习惯
Where’d you pick up this tea drinking?
你不是英国人吧 不 我是加州人
You’re not English, are you? No. Californian.
在洛杉矶土生土长
Born right here in Los Angeles.
他们说洛杉矶人来自爱荷华
They say all native Californians come from Iowa.
黎先生 我… 叫我华达
Mr. Neff, I… Make it Walter, huh?
华达 是的
Walter. That’s right.
华达
Tell me, Walter,
保险方面你收多少佣金
on this insurance, how much commission do you make?
20% 怎么了
Twenty percent. Why?
我正打算光顾你
I thought perhaps I could throw a little more business your way.
没关系 我想起丈夫
I can always use it. I was thinking about my husband.
担心他在油田工作
I worry a lot about him down in those oil fields.
工作性质很危险 身为管理人员不会吧
It’s very dangerous. Not for an executive, is it?
他不只是坐在办公室
He doesn’t just sit behind a desk.
他要跟钻油人员到油田
He’s right down there with those drilling crews.
令我担心不已
It’s got me worried sick.
你是说起重定滑轮可能会掉下
You mean, some dark night a crown block might fall on him?
别这么说 但大致如此
Please don’t talk like that. But that’s the idea.
有一次一支套管击中工头
The other day a casing line snapped and caught the foreman.
他因背部折断而入院 真糟糕
He’s in the hospital with a broken back. That’s bad.
这令我紧张不安
It’s got me jittery just thinking about it.
假设我丈夫遇上事故
Suppose something like that happened to my husband.
有可能
It could. Well…
你不认为他应该买♥♥意外保险
don’t you think he ought to have accident insurance? Mmm-hmm.
他可以买♥♥那一类保险
What kind of insurance could he have?
用来支付医疗费用
Enough to cover doctors and hospital bills.
例如125星期现金保障
Say $125 a week cash benefit.
最高赔偿达5万元
And he’d rate around $50,000 capital sum.
最高赔偿 那是什么
Capital sum? What’s that? In case he gets killed.
假设他死亡 也许我不该这样说
Maybe I shouldn’t have said that.
做这一行 每一点都要考虑
I suppose you have to think of everything in your business.
你丈夫会理解
Well, your husband would understand.
我可以向他推销
I’m sure I could sell him on the idea of
意外保险
some accident protection.
不如我跟他谈谈
Why don’t I talk to him about it?
你可以尝试 但他很固执
You could try, but he’s pretty tough-going.
所有人起初都很固执
They’re all tough at first.
他有很多想法
He has a lot on his mind.
不喜欢聆听
He doesn’t seem to want to listen to anything…
除了收音机上的棒球赛事
except maybe a baseball game on the radio.
有时候整个晚上
Sometimes we sit here all evening
我们都没交谈
and never say a word to each other.
听起来挺沉闷 我只是坐着编织
Sounds pretty dull. So, I just sit and knit.
你是为了这样而嫁给他
Is that what you married him for?
也许我喜欢他用手指举起羊毛
Maybe I like the way his thumbs hold up the wool.
若他的手指觉得累
Anytime his thumbs get tired…
而我在场时 你就不用编织
Only, with me around, you wouldn’t have to knit.
是吗 我敢打赌
Wouldn’t I? You bet your life, you wouldn’t.
喝少许酒应该无碍
Wonder if a little rum would get this up on its feet.
我想请教你一件事
I want to ask you something, Walter.
我能够不问他
Could I get an accident policy for him
而买♥♥意外保险
without bothering him at all?
再说一次
How’s that, again?
这对你也方便
It would make it easier for you, too.
你不用跟他谈
You wouldn’t even have to talk to him.
我自己有点私己钱
I have a little allowance of my own.
我可以支付 他不用知道
I could pay for it and he needn’t know anything about it.
为什么他不用知道
Why shouldn’t he know?
因为他不想要意外保险
Because he doesn’t want accident insurance.
他很迷信
He’s superstitious about it.
很多人都是 真有趣
A lot of people are. That’s funny, isn’t it?
若有办法
If there was a way to get it like that,
烦恼就一扫而空
all the worry would be over.
你明白吗 华达 当然 我眼睛雪亮
See what I mean, Walter? Sure. I got good eyesight.
你是说在他不知情下购买♥♥保险
You mean you want him to have the policy without him knowing it.
保险公♥司♥亦不知道
And that means without the insurance company knowing
他不知情
that he doesn’t know it.
这是一个设局 有问题吗
That’s the setup, isn’t it? Is there anything wrong with it?
没有 非常好
No, I think it’s lovely.
一个起重定滑轮
Then, if some dark, wet night,
将会击中他…
that crown block did fall on him…
什么定滑轮
What crown block?
但有时定滑轮也身不由己
Only sometimes it can’t quite make it on its own,
它需要别人推一把
it has to have a little help.
我不知道你在说什么
I don’t know what you’re talking about.
当然不一定是定滑轮
Of course, it doesn’t have to be a crown block.
可以是汽车撞倒他
It can be a car backing over him,
或者坠楼
or he could fall out of the upstairs window.
诸如此类 余下的是殓房♥工作
Any little thing like that, just so it’s a morgue job.
你疯了 还没那么疯
Are you crazy? Not that crazy.
再见 狄太太 发生什么事
Goodbye, Mrs. Dietrichson. What’s the matter?
你无法瞒天过海
Look, baby, you can’t get away with it.
你想杀了他 是不是
You want to knock him off, don’t you?
你太含血喷人
That’s a horrible thing to say.
你以为我是什么人
What’d you think I was, anyway?
来到漂亮妇人
A guy that walks into
的客厅
a good looking dame’s front parlor and says:
说 我为你丈夫购买♥♥意外保险
“Good afternoon, I sell accident insurance on husbands.
你有一个看不顺眼的丈夫
“You got one that’s been around too long?
我可以将他变成现金
“One you’d like to turn into a little hard cash?
笑一个 我就帮你收钱
“Just give me a smile and I’ll help you collect. ”
你以为我是蠢材 别出言不逊
Boy, what a dope you must think I am. I think you’re rotten.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!