拿着他的帽子 去路轨拾回拐杖
Here, take his hat. Pick up the crutches back on the tracks.
好了 行了
Okay, baby. That’s it.
开车吧
All right. Let’s go.
回途中我们再彩排一次…
On the way back, we went over once more…
她在审讯时的做法
what she was to do at the inquest…
假如有审讯 以及保险的问题
if they had one, and about the insurance, when that came up.
我担心她
I was afraid she might go to pieces a little,
会精神崩溃
now that we had done it.
但她表现出色 毫不紧张
But she was perfect. No nerves.
没有半滴眼泪 连眨 眼都没有
Not a tear, not even a blink of the eyes.
她在我寓所之外一条街放下我
She dropped me a block from my apartment house.
华达 怎么了 你不吻我
Walter, what’s the matter? Aren’t you going to kiss me?
彻头彻尾 不是吗
It’s straight down the line, isn’t it?
我爱你 华达 我也爱你
I love you, Walter. I love you, baby.
11时2分
It was two minutes past 11:00,
我从雇人楼梯返家
as I went up the service stairs again.
今次亦没人看见我
Nobody saw me this time either.
我回家后检查门铃
In the apartment I checked the bells.
卡片没有动 没人打来 没访客
The cards hadn’t moved. No calls. No visitors.
然后我又换衣服
Then I changed my clothes again.
只剩下一件事未完成
That left one last thing to do.
我要去车房♥ 我想查理再看见我
I had to go down to the garage. I wanted Charlie to see me again.
你要用车吗 我还未洗好
You gonna use your car, after all? I’m not quite through.
没关系
Well, that’s all right, Charlie.
我只是去杂货店买♥♥东西
Just going up to the drugstore to get something to eat.
我一直在工作
Been working upstairs all night.
有点胃痛
My stomach’s getting a little sore at me.
是的 先生
Yes, sir, Mr. Neff.
事情终于告一段落
That was all there was to it.
没有犯错 没有忽略细节
Nothing had slipped, nothing had been overlooked.
没有事情能泄漏我们的秘 密
There was nothing to give us away.
但是当我步向
And yet, Keyes,
杂货店时 巴顿
as I was walking down the street to the drugstore…
我突然觉得每个步骤都犯了错误
suddenly it came over me that everything would go wrong.
听来很疯狂 但这是真的
It sounds crazy, Keyes, but it’s true, so help me.
我听不见自己的脚步声
I couldn’t hear my own footsteps.
那是死人的脚步声
It was the walk of a dead man.
那是我毕生最漫长的一夜
That was the longest night I ever lived through, Keyes…
接下来一天更难熬
and the next day was worse,
报章已经报道事件
when the story had broke in the papers…
公♥司♥的人开始讨论事件
and they started talking about it at the office…
后天 你着手研究
and the day after that, when you started digging into it.
我觉得手在抖震
I kept my hands in my pockets
所以伸进口袋
because I thought they were shaking.
并带上太阳眼睛 不让人看见我
I put on dark glasses so people couldn’t see my eyes.
然后再脱下
And then I took them off again
让他们不觉得奇怪
so they wouldn’t get to wondering why I wore them.
我尝试保持冷静 但是…
I tried to hold myself together, but…
我感到自己紧张得快要撕裂
I could feel my nerves pulling me to pieces.
华达 是 巴顿
Oh, Walter? Hello, Keyes.
过来 大老板想见我们
Come along. The big boss wants to see us.
狄先生的个案 想必也是
The Dietrichson case? Must be.
有问题吗 他死了
Anything wrong? Well, the guy is dead.
而我们受保 这将会令我们 花费一笔
We had him insured and it’s gonna cost us dough.
这永远是错事
That’s always wrong.
暂时有什么资料 验尸报告
What have they got so far? Autopsy report.
没有心脏病
No heart failure, no apoplexy,
中风或任何疾病
no predisposing medical cause of any kind.
他死于颈骨折断
Died of a broken neck.
何时审讯 今早进行了
When’s the inquest? Had it this morning.
妻子及女儿已经认尸
His wife and daughter made the identification.
火车职员
The train people
及乘客说
and some of the passengers told how he went through…
他走到了望台
to the observation car.
事情在45分钟内发生 法庭裁定 意外死亡
It was all over in 45 minutes. Verdict? Accidental death.
警♥察♥有何想法
What do the police figure?
他被拐杖绊倒 掉下火车
That he got tangled up in his crutches and fell off the train.
他们很满意
They’re satisfied.
不会追查下去 来吧 华达
It’s not their dough. Come on, Walter.
好 谢谢
All right. Thank you very much, gentlemen.
现在法律情况已经很清晰
I believe the legal position is now clear.
请留守岗位 我也许需要你
Please stand by. I may need you later.
请进 祁先生 还有你 黎先生
Come in, Mr. Keyes. You, too, Mr. Neff.
你觉得今天很暖吗 祁先生
You find this an uncomfortably warm day, Mr. Keyes?
抱歉 我不知道这是正式会议
I’m sorry, Mr. Norton, but I didn’t know this was formal.
两位请坐谢谢
Sit down, gentlemen. Thank you.
有新进展吗
Any new developments?
我刚打长途电♥话♥给姓谢的
I just talked to this Jackson long distance,
在俄勒冈美德福
up in Medford, Oregon.

Who’s Jackson?
他是最后看见狄先生在生的人
He’s the last man who saw Dietrichson alive.
他们在了望台一起谈话
They were out on the observation platform together, talking.
狄先生想抽雪茄
Dietrichson wanted a cigar and so Jackson went back…
谢先生帮他拿雪茄盒
to get Dietrichson’s cigar case for him.
回到了望台时狄先生已失踪
When he returned to the observation platform, no Dietrichson.
谢先生当时不以为然
Well, Jackson didn’t think anything was wrong until…
直至电报送达在圣巴巴拉的火车
a wire caught up with the train at Santa Barbara.
他们在布班附近 路轨发现狄先生的尸体
They found Dietrichson’s body on the tracks near Burbank.
雪茄盒的事很有趣
Very interesting about the cigar case.
还有别的吗 不多
Anything else? No, not much.
狄先生的秘书说
Dietrichson’s secretary says
她不知道保险的事
she didn’t know anything about the policy.
狄先生的女儿
There’s a daughter,
只记得黎华达
but all she remembers is Neff talking to her father…
有一晚他们在家中谈意外保险
about accident insurance at their house one night.
我起初说服不了
I couldn’t sell him at first.
狄先生反对 他说他会再考虑
Mr. Dietrichson opposed it. He said he’d think it over.
其后我在油田见他时他答应了
Later I saw him in the oil fields and closed him.
他签了申请表并给我支票
He signed the application and gave me his check.
你的确是一流的营业员
A fine piece of salesmanship that was, Mr. Neff.
不要将责任推给他
Well, there’s no sense in pushing Neff around.
他是全公♥司♥最优秀的营业员
He’s got the best sales record in the office.
他怎知道顾客
Are your salesmen supposed to know a customer
会从火车掉下
is going to fall off the train?
从火车掉下 你肯定吗
Fall off a train? Are we sure Dietrichson fell off the train?
我不明白 你不明白
I don’t get it. You don’t, Mr. Keyes?
那你有何高见
Then what do you think of this case?
这份保单将会耗费巨资
This policy might cost us a great deal of money.
它有双重保险条文
As you know, it contains a double indemnity clause.
你有何意见
Just what is your opinion?
没有 没有预感
No opinion at all. Not even a hunch?
你一点预感都没有
One of those interesting little hunches of yours?
没有
Nope. Not even a hunch.
我很意外 我非常肯定
I’m surprised, Mr. Keyes. I’ve formed a very definite opinion.
我知道狄先生
I think I know. In fact,
发生何事
I know I know what happened to Dietrichson.
你知道什么 这不是意外
You know you know what? I know it was not an accident.
你有何意见 我
What do you say to that? Me?
你即管说来听听
Well, you’ve got the ball. Let’s see you run with it.
一个拥有敞大
There’s a widespread feeling
办公室
that just because a man has a large office…
是 叫她进来
Yes? Have her come in, please.
一个拥有敞大办公室的人
There’s a widespread feeling that…
一定是蠢材
just because a man has a large office, he must be an idiot.
我有访客 希望你们别介意
I’m having a visitor, if you don’t mind.
不 我想你留下看我处理
No, no. I want you to stay and watch me handle this.
狄太太
Mrs. Dietrichson.
谢谢你前来 狄太太
Thank you very much for coming, Mrs. Dietrichson.
很感谢你 这位是祁先生
I assure you I appreciate it. This is Mr. Keyes.
你好你好
How do you do? How do you do?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!