这类个案只是小儿科
that’d be just like a slice of rare roast beef.
他不消三分钟就知道不是意外
In three minutes he’d know it wasn’t an accident.
你不消十分钟就会被强光照射
In 10 minutes you’d be sitting under the hot lights.
不消半小时就会签名自♥由♥
In a half-hour you’d be signing your name to a confession.
我没做亦不会做
But, Walter, I didn’t do it and I’m not going to do it.
只要牵涉保险公♥司♥就没办法
Not if there’s an insurance company in the picture, baby.
他们比猴子更懂得把戏
They know more tricks than a carload of monkeys.
若有人死亡 你就死罪难逃
And if there’s a death mixed up in it, you haven’t got a prayer.
他们一定会要你问吊
They’ll hang you just as sure as ten dimes will buy a dollar.
我不想你被问吊 宝贝
And I don’t want you to hang, baby.
不要再想了
Stop thinking about it, will you?
我们只是坐着
So we just sat there.
她开始低泣 好像窗外的雨点
She started crying softly, like the rain on the window,
我们一句话也没有说
and we didn’t say anything.
也许她已经没再想 但我不是…
Maybe she had stopped thinking about it, but I hadn’t.
我无法不想
I couldn’t.
这与我
Because it all tied up with something
多年的想法有关
I’d been thinking about for years.
早在我未认识狄菲莉
Since long before I ever ran into Phyllis Dietrichson.
你应该明白 巴顿
Because you know how it is, Keyes.
做这个行业 你总是尝试…
In this business you can’t sleep…
识破别人的诡计
for trying to figure out all the tricks they could pull on you.
你就像站在俄♥罗♥斯♥转盘后的人
You’re like the guy behind the roulette wheel…
监视客人是否诈骗保险
watching the customers to make sure they don’t crook the house.
然后你会想
And then one night, you get to thinking
自己能够诈骗保险
how you could crook the house yourself.
如何做得精明
And do it smart.
因为你已经控制轮盘
Because you’ve got that wheel right under your hands.
你心里有数
You know every notch in it by heart.
你只需要一个计划
And you figure all you need is a plant out front.
一个诱饵
A shill to put down the bet.
门铃突然想起
And suddenly the doorbell rings…
布局就在眼前
and the whole setup is right there in the room with you.
巴顿 我不是想为自己洗脱罪名
Look, Keyes, I’m not trying to whitewash myself.
我挣扎过 但是屈服了
I fought it, only I guess I didn’t fight it hard enough.
这件事涉及五万元 但也涉及一条性命
The stakes were $50,000, but they were the life of a man, too.
一个从没得罪过我的人
A man who’d never done me any dirt, except…
只是她娶了他不在乎
he was married to a woman he didn’t care anything about.
而我在乎的女人…
And I did.
你会打给我吗 华达
Will you phone me? Walter?
我恨他 不想回到他身边
I hate him. I loathe going back to him.
你相信我吗 华达 我当然相信
You believe me, don’t you, Walter? Sure I believe you.
我受不了 万一他们要吊死我
I can’t stand it anymore. What if they did hang me?
他们不会的 宝贝
They’re not going to hang you, baby.
但愿如此
It’s better than going on this way.
他们不会吊死你
They’re not gonna hang you because…
因为你会下手而我会帮你
you’re gonna do it and I’m gonna help you.
你知道自己在说什么 我当然知道…
Do you know what you’re saying? Sure, I know what I’m saying.
我们会下手 而且要做得正确
We’re gonna do it and we’re gonna do it right.
我懂得个中道理 华达 你令我心痛
And I’m the guy that knows how. Walter, you’re hurting me.
不会又丝毫差错
There’s not going to be any slip-up.
没有破绽弱点
Nothing sloppy. Nothing weak.
完美无暇
It’s got to be perfect.
明天打给我 但不要在家中 去电♥话♥亭
Call me tomorrow. But not from your house. From a booth.
小心自己的举动
And watch your step every single minute.
必须天衣无缝
This has got to be perfect, you understand?
彻头彻尾
Straight down the line.
彻头彻尾
Straight down the line.
就是这样 巴顿
That was it, Keyes.
机器开始运作 无人能阻挡它
The machinery had started to move and nothing could stop it.
首先我们要
The first thing we had to do
骗他购意外保险
was fix him up with that accident policy.
我知道他不肯
I knew he wouldn’t buy,
但我只需要他在申请表上签名
but all I wanted was his signature on an application.
我要骗他签名
So I had to get him to sign without his knowing
而不自知
what he was signing.
亦要另一个证人在菲莉旁边
And I wanted another witness
让证人听见我向他推销
besides Phyllis to hear me give him a sales talk.
我尝试用你的脑袋思考
I was trying to think with your brains, Keyes…
因为我想在狄先生死去时
because I wanted all the answers ready…
你所提问时的
for all the questions you were gonna spring
所有答案
as soon as Dietrichson was dead.
几晚后 我去了狄宅
A couple of nights later I went to the house.
一切正常
Everything looked fine,
但我不喜欢菲莉带来的证人
except I didn’t like the witness Phyllis had brought in.
她是狄先生的女儿露娜
It was Dietrichson’s daughter, Lola.
这令我觉得不舒服
And it made me feel a little queer in the belly…
叫她坐在客厅
to have her sitting right there in the room,
玩棋子
playing Chinese checkers…
好像不会发生任何事情
as if nothing were going to happen.
你应该知道
I suppose you realize, Mr. Dietrichson…
由于你不是雇员
that, not being an employee
你不受到州赔偿保险条例所保障
you are not covered by the State Compensation Insurance Act.
你自保的唯一方
The only way you can protect yourself is
是买♥♥个人保险
by having a personal policy of your own.
对 我明白
Yeah, I know all about that.
然后你就会说
The next thing you’ll tell me I need…
我需要天灾保险
earthquake insurance and lightning insurance and hail insurance.
若我们买♥♥下各类保险
If we bought all the insurance they can think up…
那就会一贫如洗了 对吧
we’d stay broke paying for it, wouldn’t we, honey?
令我们一贫如洗的
What keeps us broke is you going out
是你买♥♥帽子
and buying five hats at a crack.
在加州谁人会买♥♥帽子
Who needs a hat in California?
一分钱一分货
Dollar for dollar, Mr. Dietrichson…
意外保险是价钱最便宜的保险
accident insurance is the cheapest coverage you can buy.
下次谈吧 我今天很累
Well, maybe some other time, Mr. Neff. I had a tough day.
没关系
Just as you say.
今晚搞好汽车保险
Suppose we just settle that automobile insurance tonight.

Sure.
只需要在申请表上
All we’ll need on that is for you to sign
签名就能续保
the application for renewal.
菲莉 可以不玩吗
Phyllis, do you mind if we don’t finish this game?
我觉得很闷 你有别的事做
It bores me stiff. Got something better to do?
是的
Yes, I have.
爸 我可以出去吗
Father, is it all right if I run along now?
去哪里 跟谁 只是安妮 我们去溜冰
Run along where? Who with? Just Anne. We’re going roller-skating.
谁 马安妮
Anne who? Anne Matthews.
不又是卓尼诺吧
It’s not that Nino Zachetti again, is it?
最好别是那家伙
It better not be that Zachetti guy.
如果让我看见你跟他在一起
If I ever catch you with that…
是马安妮 我说过了
It’s Anne Matthews, I told you.
我们只是去溜冰
And I also told you we’re going roller-skating.
我约了他在
I’m meeting her
维蒙街法连街交界
at the corner of Vermont and Franklin, the northwest corner…
我已经迟到了
in case you’re interested, and I’m late already.
我交代得很清楚 再见 爸
I hope that’s all quite clear. Good night, Father.
再见 菲莉再见 狄小姐
Good night, Phyllis. Good night, Miss Dietrichson.
对不起 再见…黎先生
I’m sorry. Good night, Mr… Neff.
再见 黎先生
Good night, Mr. Neff.
身型娇小 说话却厉害
A great little fighter for her weight.
请你在这里签名 狄先生
Now, if you’ll just sign these, Mr. Dietrichson.
签什么 汽车续保申请
Sign what? The applications for the auto renewals.
你在新保单发出前会得到保障
So you’ll be covered until the new policies are issued.
几时 大约一星期
When will that be? About a week.
我架车往北时会得到保障
Just so I’m covered when I drive up north.
三藩市 帕洛阿尔托
San Francisco? Palo Alto.
他是史丹福人 黎先生
He was a Stanford man, Mr. Neff.
每年都会出席校友宴会
And he still goes to his class reunion every year.
那有什么问题
What’s wrong with that?
我不能每年去关心一下
Can’t I have a little fun, even once a year?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!