你好 黎先生
Why, hello there, Mr. Neff.
今晚工作得很晚
Working pretty late, aren’t you, Mr. Neff?
的确很晚 上去吧
Late enough. Let’s ride.
你看来面色很差 我没事
You look kind of all in, at that. I’m fine.
保险生意如何 很好
How is the insurance business, Mr. Neff? Okay.
他们无法向我推销保险
They wouldn’t ever sell me any.
他们说我太过放浪形骇
They said I have something loose in my heart.
我说是风湿病 是吗
I say it’s rheumatism. Yeah?
到12楼了
Twelve.
办公室备忘录
Office memorandum.
黎华达致索偿经理祈巴顿
Walter Neff to Barton Keyes, Claims Manager.
洛杉矶 1938年7月16日
Los Angeles, July 16, 1938.
亲爱的巴顿
Dear Keyes…
你听见时 应该知道这是招认
I suppose you’ll call this a confession when you hear it.
我不喜欢 “招认” 这字眼
Well, I don’t like the word confession.
我只是想你了解未解答的迷团
I just want to set you right about something you couldn’t see…
因为他头头碰着钉
because it was smack up against your nose.
你以为自己是一流的索偿经理
You think you’re such a hot potato as a Claims Manager…
能一眼看穿虚假索偿
such a wolf on a phony claim.
也许你是… 但是看看狄先生的索偿个案
Maybe you are, but let’s take a look at that Dietrichson claim.
意外和双重保险
Accident and double indemnity.
你的确有点眉目
You were pretty good in there for a while, Keyes.
你说不是意外 对
You said it wasn’t an accident. Check.
你说不是自杀 对
You said it wasn’t suicide. Check.
你说是谋杀 对
You said it was murder. Check.
你以为已掌握案情
You thought you had it cold, didn’t you?
用薄纸包裹 再加粉红色蝴蝶结
All wrapped up in tissue paper, with pink ribbons around it.
完美无暇
It was perfect.
但又不然 你犯了错
Except it wasn’t, because you made one mistake…
只是一个小错误
just one little mistake.
估计谁是凶手时 你猜错了
When it came to picking the killer, you picked the wrong guy.
你想知道是谁杀了狄先生
You want to know who killed Dietrichson?
拿稳手上的雪茄 巴顿
Hold tight to that cheap cigar of yours, Keyes.
我杀了狄先生
I killed Dietrichson.
是我 黎华达 保险推销员
Me, Walter Neff, insurance salesman.
35岁 未婚 没有前科
35 years old, unmarried, no visible scars…
直至不久之前
until a while ago, that is.
对 我杀了他
Yes, I killed him.
我杀了他 为了钱…
I killed him for money…
和女人
and for a woman.
我得不到钱 亦得不到女人
And I didn’t get the money and I didn’t get the woman.
很有趣 是吧
Pretty, isn’t it?
一切从去年五月底开始
It all began last May.
那一次
Around the end of May, it was.
我驾驶汽车
I’d been out to Glendale
去格兰代送保单
to deliver a policy on some dairy trucks.
回来途中
On the way back
我记得在洛菲利兹有汽车续保
I remembered this auto renewal near Los Feliz Boulevard.
于是驱车前往
So I drove over there.
有很多十多年前…
It was one of those California Spanish houses…
大家争相兴建的西班牙式房♥子
everyone was nuts about 10 or 15 years ago.
这一间大约要三万元
This one must’ve cost somebody about $30,000.
若他已经支付所有的款项
That is, if he ever finished paying for it.
狄先生在吗
Is Mr. Dietrichson in?
谁找他 我姓黎 黎华达
Who wants to see him? My name is Neff. Walter Neff.
若你想推销…
If you’re selling something…
我想跟黎先生谈…
Look, it’s Mr. Dietrichson I want to talk to…
但我不是推销杂♥志♥
and it’s not magazine subscriptions.
黎先生不在家 他大约几时回来
Listen, Mr. Dietrichson is not in. How soon do you expect him?
他要回来时就会回来
He’ll be home when he gets here, if that’s any help to you.
什么事 妮蒂 是谁
What is it, Nettie? Who is it?
有人来找狄先生
It’s for Mr. Dietrichson.
我是狄太太 什么事
I’m Mrs. Dietrichson. What is it?
你好 狄太太
How do you do, Mrs. Dietrichson?
我是黎华达 太平保险
I’m Walter Neff, Pacific All Risk.
太平什么 太平保险公♥司♥
Pacific all what? The Pacific All Risk Insurance Company.
是关于汽车保险续保
It’s about some renewals on the automobiles.
过去两星期
I’ve been trying to contact your husband
一直想联络你先生
for the past two weeks…
但他不在公♥司♥ 有何贵干
but he’s never in his office. Is there anything I can do?
保险将会在15日到期
The insurance ran out on the 15th.
我不希望汽车
I’d hate to think of your having a smashed fender…
在未获保险覆盖时
or something while you’re not…
遇到任何意外
fully covered.
我明白你的意思
Perhaps I know what you mean, Mr. Neff.
我只是在晒日光浴 希望附近没有白鸽
I’ve just been taking a sunbath. No pigeons around, I hope.
关于保单
About those policies,
抱歉打扰你…
Mrs. Dietrichson, I hate to take up your time, but…
没关系
Oh, that’s all right.
请你稍等 我更衣后下来
If you’ll wait till I put something on, I’ll be right down.
妮蒂 带黎先生到客厅
Nettie, show Mr. Neff into the living room.
客厅会在哪里
Where would the living room be?
请进 但他们锁上酒柜
In there, but they keep the liquor locked up.
没关系 我一向自备钥匙
It’s all right. I always carry my own keys.
客厅依然充斥着
The living room was still stuffy…
昨晚的雪茄气味
from last night’s cigars.
窗户紧闭
The windows were closed…
阳光从百叶窗帘透射
and the sunshine coming in through the venetian blinds…
尘埃在空气中飞扬
showed up the dust in the air.
钢琴上放了精致相架
On the piano, in a couple of fancy frames,
有狄先生及他与前妻…
were Mr. Dietrichson and Lola…
所生的女儿露娜
his daughter by his first wife.
大沙发后面的桌子上
They had a bowl of those little red goldfish…
放了一盆小金鱼
on the table behind the big davenport.
坦白说
But to tell you the truth, Keyes…
我当时对金鱼
I wasn’t a whole lot interested in goldfish right then.
汽车续保或 狄先生女儿露娜毫无兴趣
Or in auto renewals, or in Mr. Dietrichson and his daughter Lola.
我在想楼上的女子
I was thinking about that dame upstairs,
以及她的眼神
and the way she had looked at me…
我想再见到她 近距离
and I wanted to see her again, close…
没有恼人的楼梯分隔我们
without that silly staircase between us.
没让你久等 没有 狄太太
I wasn’t long, was I? Not at all, Mrs. Dietrichson.
希望我的脸孔没问题 绝对没有
Hope I’ve got my face on straight. It’s perfect, for my money.
你姓黎 对吧
Neff is the name, isn’t it? Yeah.
就像费城姓黎的 你知道那故事吗
With two “F’s,” like in Philadelphia, if you know the story.
什么 费城故事
What story? The Philadelphia Story.
不如坐下 你谈谈保险的事
Suppose we sit down and you tell me about the insurance.
我丈夫什么也不说
My husband never tells me anything.
是关于你的两部车 喇沙 普利茅斯
Well, it’s on your two cars, the LaSalle and the Plymouth.
我们为狄先生处理保单
We’ve been handling this insurance for Mr. Dietrichson
三年
for three years…
不希望出现断供情况
and we’d hate to see the policies lapse.
你穿了短裤子
That’s a honey of an anklet you’re wearing, Mrs. Dietrichson.
我刚说过 不希望保单断供
As I was saying, we’d hate to see the policies lapse.
当然
Of course,
我们有三十年宽限期
we give them 30 days. That’s all we’re allowed to give.
他大概再沙滩油田太忙碌
I guess he’s been too busy down at Long Beach in the oil fields.
能否抽个晚上跟我谈一会
Couldn’t I catch him at home some evening for a few minutes?
应该可以 但他八时后才回家
I suppose so. But he’s never home much before 8:00.
没问题
That’s fine with me.
你与汽车会没关系吧
You’re not connected with the Automobile Club, are you?
我是太平保险 怎么了
No, the All Risk, Mrs. Dietrichson. Why?
汽车会的人尝试联络他
Somebody from the Automobile Club has been trying to get him.
他们的费用会比较便宜 若你的丈夫是会员
Do they have a better rate? If your husband’s a member.
他不是
No, he isn’t.
他要先加入
Well, then he’d have to join the club
缴交管理费
and pay the membership fee to start with.
我从不会诋毁别人
I never knock the other fellow’s merchandise, Mrs. Dietrichson.
汽车会服务很好
The Automobile Club’s fine.
但我的服务也很好
I can do just as well for you, though.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!