我–
L…
我们都得结婚 罗宾 人们也这样对我说
We must all marry, Robin, or so I’m told,
但这样的事是不可能发生的
but such a thing was not in prospect
在我与你之间 知道吗?
where you and I were concerned, was it?
我对陛下的爱是–
The love I felt for Your Majesty was…
但是不会有婚姻
But a marriage was never in question.
你想成为国王吗 罗宾?
Did you think to be King, Robin?
你想吗?
Did you?
我追寻的是您的爱
I sought your love.
所有的人都在追寻
Oh, all seek attendance on the Queen.
她向来不乏追求者
She has no shortage of suitors
却不想成为家庭主妇
and little inclination to play the housewife.
所以还有什么比这更让人满意…
So what could be more satisfactory than this…
定婚?
arrangement?
至于你 弗朗西丝
And you, Frances,
你愿意接受你丈夫至高无上的爱情?
would you have your husband have the Sovereign’s love?
这是我最大的愿望 陛下
‘Tis my dearest wish, Your Majesty.
你可以离开了 弗朗西丝
You may leave us, Frances.
没有话想说吗?
Do you have no words, sir?
你不必说了
No, you have no need of words.
陛下深知我内心深处的秘密
Your Majesty knows the secrets of my heart.
Hmm.
Hmm.
如果那样做 我会遭天谴 先生
I’m damned if I do, sir.
而你看起来是必须结婚的
But it seems you must be married.
漂亮而可爱的…
Oh, pretty, pretty…
孩子
boy.
听说法♥院♥的一些人
We’ve heard that some persons at Court
可能在写信给…
may have been writing letters to…
苏格兰詹姆士国王 陛下
King James of Scotland, ma’am.
我们可能听到的是同样的声音
Why, we must have been listening at the same door.
当然 让那个孩子
Of course, the mere idea of that boy
继承王位的想法是荒谬的
succeeding to my throne is absurd,
但是如果有些蠢人对此寄予厚望
but if some fool should take it upon himself
并将此想法公诸于众
to make the idea public,
那么就会有另外一些蠢人
then we will have any number of other fools
乐于将其付诸实施
keen to implement it as soon as possible.
“走了一个老女人
“Out with the old woman
来了一个小傻瓜”
and bring on the dribbling idiot.”
大概所有的此类描述都有些尖刻 陛下
Perhaps both descriptions are a little harsh, ma’am.
我们的忍♥耐在减少
We grow less tolerant, pygmy.
同时我们也愈发孤立了
We are alone too much.
沃辛汉姆离世了?
Walsingham died.
是的 陛下
Yes, ma’am.
确实 我很少关心他 但是–
Of course, I never cared much for the man, but…
“但是…” 陛下?
“But,” ma’am?
在这样的时刻 你和你的父亲
For the moment, you and your father
必须履行职责
can fulfill his responsibilities.
我很高兴为陛下减轻
I am happy to relieve Your Majesty
一些重大的
of some of this great burden
政♥府♥事务的负担
of government business.
大家都说你有一个美满的婚姻
They say your marriage is a happy one.
我拥有妻子的祝福 陛下
I am blessed in my wife, ma’am.
她–
She…
她洞悉世事–
she sees past…
看来这世上仍有希望在
Then there is hope for the world still.
是谁?
Who is it?
陛下?
Your Majesty?
谁在写这些信?
Who has been writing these letters?
我不想…
I would not like to…
指控任何人叛国?
Accuse anyone of treason?
是某些贵族?
Some nobleman
怀着伟大理想的贵族?
with dreams of greatness?
我非常仰慕
I’m a great admirer
英格兰的贵族 陛下
of the English aristocracy, ma’am,
但他们中有些人飞得太高
but some of them seek to fly so high.
就象伊卡洛斯(希腊神话) 离太阳太近
Like Icarus, they may approach the sun
得到陛下的恩宠太多
of Your Majesty’s favor too closely
以致融化了翅膀
and burn their wings.
Hmm.
Hmm.
难以置信 那个帽子底下的
It’s hard to believe, but that creature in the hat
居然就是苏格兰国王
is the King of Scotland.
刚才这话绝不能传出去
No one must hear of this, Master Secretary.
你懂我的意思吗
Do you understand?
我们彼此心照不宣 陛下
We understand each other very well, ma’am.
我唯一的愿望 除了一如既往地乞求您的慈爱
My only wish, apart from to beg of you your kindness as always
期盼您的慷慨
and to ask for an increase in the pension
– 增加一些我的那部分封银… – 不
– which you have so kindly allotted to me… – No.
…就是想求您发布一些正式公文
…is to beg you for some clear statement
声名我确定无疑的合法拥有…
as to my surely undoubted right
..英格兰王位继承权
to succeed you on the English throne.
“确定无疑”?
“Undoubted”?
“确定无疑”?
“Undoubted”!
您信中表明您不再对我的事业抱有成见
Your letter assures me you will not be prejudicial to my cause.
我是指示您
I have come to instruct you
别太热衷于 与您的天主教贵族交往过于亲密
to be less pleasant to your Catholic nobility
而且确保您不再提案…
and to ensure you do not make overtures
给我们法♥院♥的贵族们
to any nobles of our court.
提案 陛下? 什么提案?
Overtures, ma’am? What overtures?
我对英格兰的法庭知之甚少
I have little knowledge of the English court.
好 那你将得到一些补偿
Well, then you’ll have to acquire some
如果你梦想拥有的话
if you dream of ruling over it.
我不是要和一个女人斗 但是–
It ill becomes me to strive with a lady, but…
我们高尚的名誉甚至已经
The fame of our nobility has reached even
传扬到苏格兰
as far as Scotland, I imagine.
而我们可怜的国家离光明如此之远
Our poor country is so far from the bright lights.
我们早早上♥床♥ 少有说话
We go to bed early and have little informed conversation.
甚至不和埃塞克斯伯爵说什么?
Not even the Earl of Essex is talked of?
我当然听过他的大名
I have heard his name of course.
我听说他是一个非常…
I have been told he is a very…
英俊的年轻人
handsome lad.
我听到过许多英俊的年轻人在伦敦的韵事
I’ve heard many tales of the handsome lads of London.
陛下
Your Majesty.
有个信差专程赶过来 请原谅 失陪
Here is a messenger from the very place. You will excuse me.
告诉我 受一个女人的统治是个什么样 我的大人?
Tell me, how is it to be ruled by a woman, my lord?
我很喜欢 陛下
I like it well, Your Majesty.
她变老了
She grows old.
正如我们所有人一样
As do we all.
还有埃塞克斯伯爵?
And the Earl of Essex?
他对我很好 陛下
Was ever kind to me, Your Majesty.
当我成为国王
When I am King,
我要让一群英俊的年轻人围着我
I shall have handsome young men around me
我们要用女人
and we shall use women
一群发♥骚♥的母狗–
as dogs do bitches…
供我们享乐
for our pleasure and their profit.
我敢保证是她叫那个人过来的
I’m sure she called that fellow over
以便她可以旁观我们
so that she can watch us at her leisure.
现在小心点
Carefully now.
在我的生命中 陛下
On my life, ma’am,
我发誓没写过什么信
I swear I have written no letters
给苏格兰詹姆士国王
to King James of Scotland.
这么说你从未想过继位的事?
So you never think of the succession?
为什么你不再信任我了 贝丝?
Why do you no longer trust me, Bess?
是谁插到了我们中间?
Who is it that has come between us?
世上一切都在我俩之间
Only the rest of the world,
可怜的傻孩子
poor foolish boy.
如果我曾谈论过继位的事–
If I ever talked of the succession…
上帝会阻止那一天的到来
God forbid that a day should come
英格兰如果不再由您来引领–
when England no longer has you to guide them…
Hmm.
Hmm.
然后我站在您面前
Then I did it to your face,

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!