在案发当晚仍然爱着被告?
And still in love with him on the night of the murder?
是的 没错
Yes.
你和被告在那年在度夏小屋的晚上…
Then isn’t it possible that you met with him…
…和案发当晚之间可不可能有再见面
…between the night at the summerhouse and the night Villette was killed?
我没有再见他
l did not.
你很难让陪审团团员相信
You can hardly expect the jury to believe…
一个恋爱中的女人会不想和他爱人见面
…that a woman in love doesn’t attempt to meet her lover.
庭上 我反对
l object, my lord.
这种询问和本案没有直接关系
This line of questioning doesn’t seem particularly relevant.
庭上 我在建立杀人的动机
lt is, my lord. l’m trying to establish a motive for the murder.
我在查明维莱特的勒索是否…
l’m trying to discover if Villette’s blackmail
…不仅仅是基于在他度夏小屋的一晚…
…was based on his knowledge not merely of one night at his home…
而是持续的 没有间断的 ,不正常的–
…but also of a continuous, uninterrupted, illicit–
-不对 这不是真的! 不是真的! -肃静 肃静
-No, that’s not true! Not true! -Silence! Silence!
洛根神父 请你检查一下这件法衣
Father Logan, will you examine this garment?
这是你的法衣吗?
ls this your cassock?
不是
No, sir.
-你跟别人借来的? -不是
-Then did you borrow this cassock? -No.
既不是你的 也不是借别人的
lt’s not yours, and you did not borrow it.
但是在你的皮箱里找到的
And yet it was found in your trunk.
-一定有人放在那儿 -是的
-Someone must have put it there. -Yes.
你知道谁有可能把这件法衣放到你的皮箱里?
Have you any idea who might have put this cassock in your trunk?
我不能说
l can’t say.
洛根神父 你什么时候决定成为一个神父?
Father Logan, when did you decide to become a priest?
是在战后
After the war.
你要当神父是不是为了逃避什么东西?
ln becoming a priest, were you, perhaps, trying to hide from something?
我从没把圣职看作一个藏身所
l had never thought of the priesthood as offering a hiding place.
我了解你的意思是说神父的职位牵涉到某些责任…
l understand you to mean that priesthood involves certain responsibilities…
-…某些道德 -是
-…certain moralities. -Yes.
那你是否知道这些责任和道德
You were aware of these responsibilities, these moralities?
我知道
Yes.
然而你不觉得和一个女性秘密会面..
Yet you saw nothing wrong…
是一件不好的事情吗?
…in having a clandestine meeting with a woman?
你是不是在暗示当时我是个神父? 那是我还不是
Are you trying to imply that l was a priest at that time? l was not.
你有没有想过那位女士已经结婚了
Did you take into consideration that this woman was married?
我当时并不知情
l wasn’t aware that she was.
你就和那位女士在一起呆了一整天
And so you spent the whole day with this woman?
是的 我们是好朋友 又已有两年没有见面了
Yes. We were good friends. l hadn’t seen her in over two years.
和她一起过夜的那种好朋友?
Such good friends that you spent the night with her?
-我们碰到了暴雨 -暴雨太可恶了
-We were caught in a storm. -Oh, the storm was the villain.
你有没有提醒格兰福特太太她的先生可能会不高兴?
Did you warn Madame Grandfort that her husband might not agree on that?
我说过了当时我并不知道她已经结婚了
As l said, l didn’t know she was married.
当你发现她结婚了之后…
On discovering that she was…
…你有没有尝试向格兰福特先生解释当时的情形?
…did you make any attempt to explain the situation to Monsieur Grandfort?
没有
No.
在你的这些秘密和你的神职之间…
But surely there is some contradiction…
…倒真有些矛盾
…between this secretiveness and your vocation.
我不觉得被暴风雨困住有什么不对
l saw nothing wrong with being caught in a storm.
如果没什么不对的话…
lf there was nothing wrong…
…那你为什么在次日早晨与维莱特有那么激烈的争吵?
…why did you have such a violent argument with Villette the next morning?
你是不是急于保护格兰福特太太的名誉?
Were you anxious to protect Madame Grandfort’s reputation?
是的
Yes.
那么她的名誉是在危险之中?
Then her reputation was in danger?
你意识到还有其他的事而不仅仅是被暴风雨困住 ?
You realized there was something more than merely being caught in the storm?
维莱特在含沙射影
Villette made an insinuation.
我和维莱特的争吵与任何突然的意识无关
My argument with Villette had nothing to do with any sudden realization.
-你打了他 -是的 我打了他
-And you hit him? -Yes, l did.
-很愤怒? -是
-ln anger? -Yes.
你会打一个不过闯入一个无害的情形下的人
You’re capable of hitting a man who merely intrudes upon a harmless situation.
在同一个人勒索你的好朋友格兰福特太太的时候…
Then surely you are capable of far more violent action…
…肯定你会做更暴♥力♥的举动
…when that same man blackmails your good friend Madame Grandfort.
我不会谋杀别人
l’m not capable of murder.
那你就容许这种人破坏格兰福特太太的家庭和你的职业?
You would allow such a man to destroy Madame Grandfort’s home and your career?

No.
你会去找他 然后无法控制自己…
You would go to such a man and, unable to control your temper…
..无法面对丑闻曝光 你转向暴♥力♥手段
…unable to face a public scandal, you’d turn to physical force.
不 我绝对不会
No, l would not!
肃静!肃静!
Silence! Silence!
你和格兰福特太太在案发当天晚上11点分手
You and Madame Grandfort separated at 1 1 :00 on the night of the murder.
是的 没错
That’s right. Yes.
那么你有可能就去了维莱特家
Then it was possible for you to go to Villette’s house.
有可能你ll点半到达那里 也就是案发的时候
lt was possible for you to arrive there at 1 1 :30, the time he was murdered.
是的 是有这可能性 但是我并没有去那里
Yes, it was possible, but l didn’t go there.
我直接回到教区长住♥宅♥
l went right home to the rectory.
那你是什么时候回到教区长住♥宅♥的
And what time did you arrive at the rectory?
大概是ll点15分左右
About 1 1 :1 5.
-有没有人可以证明? -我想没有
-Did anybody witness this arrival? -l don’t believe so.
你说你ll点15分回去
You say you arrived at 1 1 :1 5.
-然后你在做什么? -我上到我的房♥间
-What did you do then? -l went up to my room.
-你马上就寝了吗? -没有
-You went to bed immediately? -No.
-那你做了什么? -我进了教堂
-What did you do? -l went into the church.
-在那里有没有看到别人? -奥托 凯勒
-Did you see anybody there? -Otto Keller.
凯勒先生作证说他跟你到教堂…
Otto Keller has testified to this court that he followed you…
…他看到你跪在祭坛前很痛苦的样子
…and that he found you kneeling before the altar in great distress.
他又进一步作证说当时是ll点45分或更晚
He has further testified that the time was then 1 1 :45 or after.
那可能是ll点45分 其余的都不是真的
Well, it could have been 1 1 :45. The rest isn’t true.
也许你已经准备好了 终于要告诉我们事情的真♥相♥吧
Perhaps you are prepared, at last, to tell us the truth.
也许那时候是ll点45分 但是其他的却不是事实
lt might have been 1 1 :45. The rest is not true.
也许你准备好告诉我们你的版本的事实
Perhaps you are prepared to give us your version of the truth.
当然你会拒绝回答…
Of course you refuse to answer…
…因为我指出你返回♥教♥区长住♥宅♥不是在11点15
…because l submit you did not return to the rectory at 1 1 :1 5.
你一直到ll点45分或以后才回去
You did not return until 1 1 :45 or after.
你的被凯勒先生看到的苦恼是由于…
Your distress, seen by Otto Keller, was caused by the fact…
…你之前见过维莱特 被他威胁…
…that you had earlier met with Villette and been threatened by him…
要曝光你和格兰福特太太的恋情
…with exposure of your affair with Madame Grandfort.
你就拿起手边能找到的第一件武器击打维莱特…
And that you’d taken the first weapon you found and struck Villette…
…然后继续击打他的头部直到他的头颅裂开
…and continued to strike until you cracked his skull wide open.
我没有
No!
我再说一遍 你们的责任
l repeat, it’s your duty…
是仔细研究提供的所有证据
…to carefully examine all the evidence that’s been given…
然后再决定对被告所提出的控诉是不是都能被证明
…and to determine whether the charge against the accused has been proven.
也请你牢记
Remember also that you are not trying the accused…
除了针对谋杀案本身做判断以外
…for whatever views you may hold…
不要因为神父和葛朗佛太太之间的关系
…as to his relationship with Madame Grandfort…
而使判决受影响
…except as it may affect this charge of murder.
最后一点
One final point.
不要因为被告的神父身份
The fact that the accused is a priest under holy orders…
而或清或重的影响到各位所做的裁决
…should not influence your verdict one way or the other.
各位现在可以退席去决定你们的判决
You may now withdraw to consider your verdict.
但是我相信检察官的话
But l believe what the prosecutor said.
很明显的 他们在一起并非只有一个晚上
Obviously, they didn’t spend just that one night together.
一定有许多次
There must have been many more times.
各位陪审员 你们是否有达成一致的判决
Gentlemen of the jury, are you agreed on your verdict?
-谁来发言? -我们有
-And who will speak for you? -We are.
判决是什么 迈克 威廉 洛根在谋杀案上有罪还是无罪?
How say you? ls Michael William Logan guilty of murder or not guilty?
虽然我们认为被告有极其重大的嫌疑
While we attach grave suspicion to the accused…
…我们没有发现足够的证据来证明洛根神父确实使用了…
…we cannot find sufficient evidence to prove he actually wielded the weapon…
杀死维莱特的武器
…that killed Monsieur Villette.
因此 我们判决他无罪
Therefore, our verdict is not guilty.
在法庭记录的同时我再把判决重述一遍
Hearken to your verdict as the court recorded it.
你们判决洛根神父无罪 你们全体同意?
You say Michael William Logan is not guilty, so you say all.
是的 是的
-Yes. -Yes.
-我说过那个法衣 -他们毁了他
-l said that cassock– -They’ve ruined him.
为什么他们不能就说”无罪”就得了
Why couldn’t they have said ”not guilty” and let it go at that?
庭上 我请求释放被告
Your Lordship, l move that the prisoner be released.
迈克洛根 我不怀疑陪审团…
Michael Logan, while l have no doubt that the jury…
…非常公平的和以对公正及其真诚的尊重…
…must have reached their conclusion in utmost fairness…
…达成了他们的结论
…and solemn regard for justice
…我必须说明我个人并不同意他们的判决
…l cannot help expressing my personal disagreement with their verdict.
迈克威廉洛根 你被释放了
Michael William Logan, you are hereby discharged.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!