-那个会吓到你吗? -大门通常都有上锁
-Why should that frighten you? -The door was always locked.
我走了进去 就看到尸体了
l went in, and there he was.
我能确定他已经死了
l could see that he was dead.
-我想赶快跑开 -跑开?
-l wanted to run. -Run?
是的 我想跑开 一个没有祖国,无依无靠的人发现一桩凶杀案
There l was, a man without a country, alone, discovering a murder.
我想到警♥察♥ 我一向都很怕警♥察♥
l thought of the police. l’m always afraid of the police.
-德国人都怕警♥察♥ -没有什么好害怕的
-That’s a German fear, this fear. -There’s nothing to be afraid of.
-你暂时可以出去了 -是 谢谢你
-Step outside for a moment. -Yes. Thank you, sir.
-维莱特被杀了 -他死了? 我真不敢相信
-Villette’s been murdered. -He’s dead? l can’t believe it.
我们解脱了
We’re free.
早安 我先生在会议室里吗?
Good morning. ls my husband in the chamber?
是的 夫人 格兰福特先生正在发言 辩论很激烈
Yes, madame. Mr. Grandfort is speaking now. A very stormy debate.
这是今年的陈述
That is the understatement of the year.
尊敬的议员已经用了所有的的陈腔烂调
The honorable member has used every known cliche…
或许除了“拴住你的狗,保持城市清洁”
…except perhaps ”curb your dog, keep your city clean.”
给予女教师同等薪水会给经济带来灾难
Equal salary for female schoolteachers would bring disaster to our whole economy.
除了女老师的经济
Except to the economy of female schoolteachers.
-发言者! -讨论到这个时候…
-Mr. Speaker! -At this point of the discussion…
…我宣布休会到下午三点
…l adjourn the House until this afternoon at 3:00.
亲爱的 真是个美妙的意外
Ruth, my dear, what a charming surprise.
-皮埃尔 带我去吃午餐吧 -当然
-Pierre, take me to lunch. -Of course.
感到好点儿了么 今天早上你精神不太好
Feeling better, then? This morning, you seemed rather depressed.
-我有吗? -是的 不止今天早上
-Was l? -Yes, and not only this morning.
-我现在气色应该不错吧 -不错
-l don’t seem depressed now, do l? -No.
终于轮胎没有漏气
The tire wasn’t flat after all.
当然 你和凯勒先生知道你们在做什么
Of course, you and Keller know what you’re doing.
我个人本来是偏好纯白色的
Personally, l would have preferred an old-fashioned white.
-现在就是 -是吗?
-That’s what it is. -ls it?
至少应该是
At least it’s supposed to be.
-凯勒先生 早上好 -你好 神父
-Oh, Mr. Keller, good morning. -Good morning, Father.
这次你回来的比较早 维莱特先生的花♥园♥花朵盛开吗?
You’re back early, aren’t you? ls Mr. Villette’s garden flourishing?
维莱特先生死了 神父
Mr. Villette is dead, Father.
-死了? -他被谋杀了 神父
-Dead? -He was murdered, Father.
什么? 洛根神父 你有没有听到 太可怕了
What? Did you hear that, Father Logan? How dreadful.
是我发现尸体的 我报♥警♥了
l discovered the body. l called the police.
他们来了 问了我许多问题
Then they came and asked me a lot of questions.
房♥子外面有许多人围观
A lot of people were outside the house.
然后侦探说我可以走了
Then the inspector told me l could leave.
真是太可怕了
What a terrible thing.
非常可怕
A very terrible thing.
神父 你今天早上为什么要到维莱特先生的家
Father, why did you come to Villette’s house this morning?
神父 我必须和你谈谈
Father, l must speak to you.
我知道你会怎么看我…
l know what you must think of me…
…但是我不能自首 我不能
…but l can’t give myself up. l can’t.
他们会把我吊死
They would hang me.
因为你上帝不是已经原谅我了? 但是警方不会这么宽宏大量
Hasn’t God forgiven me, thanks to you? But the police never would.
我不知道你在说些什么
l don’t know what you’re talking about.
但是我已经向你忏悔了 是我的忏悔
But it was l who confessed to you. lt was my confession.
我要你跟我谈谈,你一定要教我怎么做
l want you to speak to me about it. You must tell me what to do.
我不能去自首
l can’t give myself up.
你要告诉我其他的办法
You must tell me some other way.
我要说的都已经告诉你了
There is nothing l can add to what l’ve already said.
难道你不是人么
Aren’t you human?
你难道从来都没有害伯过吗?
Haven’t you ever been afraid?
你是个大好人
You are so good.
对你来讲 做做好人是很容易的
lt’s easy for you to be good.
难道你都不同情我吗?
Have you no pity for me?
-奥托 -艾尔玛
-Otto. -Oh, Alma.
奥托 早先贝诺特神父问你
Otto, Father Benoit asked earlier…
能否把脚踏车的轮胎修理好
…would you please mend the tire on his bicycle?
轮胎并没有漏气 艾尔玛
But the tire wasn’t flat after all, Alma.
我想不通你为什么对这件案子这么严肃
l don’t see why you’re so damn solemn about this case, Larrue.
为什么要在午餐后来烦我?
Anyway, why do you come and worry me after lunch?
我一直很佩服你
l’ve always had the greatest admiration for you.
过去你碰到过非常棘手的案子
You have, in the past, been faced with tremendously difficult cases…
你都靠着非凡的才能破案了
…all of which you have solved with remarkable skill.
现在这个案子却毫无线索
And now, here you have a case in which there are no clues…
没有指纹 没有动机 没有嫌犯
…no fingerprints, no motives, no suspects.
或许你仍然胸有成竹吧!
lt ought to be very simple for you.
要我把小女生带进来吗?
Shall l bring the girls in, sir?
-小女生? -是的
-Girls? -Yes.
只是一个可能 或许是一个线索
Just a possibility. lt may be something to go on.
请坐
Sit down.
我很抱歉把你们从学校拉出来
Sorry l had to drag you away from school.
我们很喜欢从学校被拉出来 谢谢
We love to be dragged away from school. Thank you.
先生 你是个侦探吗?
Are you a detective, monsieur?
是的 这位先生是首席检察官
Yes. And monsieur here is the crown prosecutor.
你们好
Hello.
-要吃饼乾吗 -请
-Would you like a biscuit? -Please.
-谢谢 -不用客气
-Thank you. -You’re welcome.
现在 小朋友 告诉我所有的事情
Now, my little ones, tell me everything.
你们的妈妈说昨天晚上你们曾经路过维莱特的房♥子
Your mother said that you passed the Villette house last night.
-没错 -那是什么时候?
-That’s right. -And what was the time?
-11点 -不对 已经过了ll点了
-Eleven o’clock. -No, it was after 1 1 :O0.
-你们谁是对的 -我们之前在替人看孩子…
-Well, now, which of you is right? -Well, we had been babysitting…
… 但是我们没有直接回家 这就是为什么
…but we didn’t go straight home. That’s why.
是不是可以说在ll点和ll点半之间
Well, shall we say, then, between 1 1 and 1 1 :30?
-是的 -那你们看到了什么?
-Yes. -And what did you see?
我们看到一个人从维莱特的房♥子走出来
We saw someone leaving the Villette house.
-男的还是女的? -是个男的!
-A man or a woman? -Man.
-长的什么样子? -是个神父
-Well, what was he like? -He was a priest.
-什么? -一个神父
-What? -A priest.
这个非常重要 你们能确定吗?
Now this is very important. Are you sure?
非常肯定
Quite sure.
说详细一点
Tell us exactly.
在沿瓦伦丁街回家途中,我们经过维莱特先生的家
On our way home by the Rue Valentine, we passed Monsieur Villette’s house.
我们知道 整条路都很暗 她非常害伯
We know it well. lt was very dark, and she was frightened.
-我才没有 -你有 然后我们就开始快步走
-l was not. -Yes, you were, and we began to hurry.
突然间 那个神父出现了
And then suddenly, there was this priest.
他正从走出房♥子然后离开了
He was coming out of the house and walking away.
-有没有看见他的脸? -没有
-Did you see his face? -No.
大概有多高?
How tall was he?
跟他一样高
Like him.
-胖还是瘦 -不胖也不瘦
-Was he fat or thin? -Not fat. Not thin.
-你们有没有注意到他有什么特别的地方? -没有
-Did you notice anything special about him? -No.
-他有没有看见你们? -应该没有
-Did he see you? -l don’t think so.
你绝对肯定是一个神父?
But you are absolutely sure he was a priest?
我敢确定
Yes.
谢谢,你们可以走了
Thank you. You may go now.
小朋友 我希望你们别将这件事告诉任何人
Oh, my little ones, l do not want you to say anything to anyone about this.
-答应吗? -当然
-Promise. -Yes.
谢谢
Thank you.
墨菲 我要你去调查一下城里的每个教区…
Murphy, l want you to check every rectory in town…
…看昨天晚上哪一个神父很晚外出
…and find out which priests were out late last night.
是 先生
Yes, sir.
当然 真是荒谬 竟然牵涉到一个神父
Of course, it’s absurd that a priest would be involved.
-你真的以为是一个神父干的? -是 可能是
-You don’t really think it could be a priest? -Yes, maybe.
-谁? -我得确认一下
-Who? -l have to make sure.
-我得进一步调查之后才能告诉你 -别神秘兮兮的
-l can’t tell you until l’ve checked further. -Well, don’t be so mysterious.
他把所有的时间都放在教区上
Most of his time is given to his parishioners.
有人在星期二晚上和他在一起吗?
Was he with one on Tuesday night?
我不知道他在哪里和他做了些什么…
l have no idea where he was or what he did…
…但是我敢确定 他不会做坏事的
…but l’m perfectly sure it’s all right.
他自己也会这样跟你说的 请进
He will tell you so himself. Come in.
-早安 洛根神父 -早
-Good evening, Father Logan. -Good evening.
我想我们的会客室给这位警♥察♥局来的先生一个印象…
l believe this room has given this gentleman from the police department…
…那就是我们用油漆在隐藏底下的污垢 不过 墨菲先生 事实不是如此
…the idea that we hide grime with paint, but it is not so, Mr. Murphy.
我们已经确定油漆底下的墙面没有污点
We have made certain that the walls underneath are spotless.
我对此没有疑问 神父 抱歉打扰你 神父
l don’t question that, Father. Sorry to bother you, Father.
不打扰 我能为你做什么?
lt’s no bother. What can l do for you?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!