你的手法可能太感情用事了
Your approach is a little overemotional at times.
需要简洁点 选词要有力一些
lt needs to be more succinct. The word choice needs to be more muscular.
你非常有才华 但那还不够
Ellen, you’ve got a great talent, but it’s not enough.
你必须力争上游
You have to reach, goddamn it.
我20岁时在纽约客工作
When l was 20 years old working at the New Yorker
我会花一整天构思一句话
l would spend a whole day working on one sentence.
老天知道我可以
l mean, Lord knows l could–
那是你至今最好的作品
Wait a minute. lt’s your best work to date. lt’s–
并不是你的错 是编辑的问题
lt’s not your fault. lt’s like the problem is that editor, damn it.
他叫什么名字 特伦比
What is his name? Uh, Tw– Twimpy? – Tweedy.
特律迪 是
Yeah.
乔治 他根本就是个笨蛋
George? Well, see ya. – He’s a fool as far as–
我们藏着呢
Hey. – Yeah? We’re hiding.
快进来吹蜡烛 许愿的时间到了
l know. Come inside. lt’s time to blow out the candles and make a wish!
我希望我们不被打扰
Oh, l wish we were alone.
我们还不是 快点 大家都在等着
Well, we’re not yet. So hurry up. Come on. Everybody’s waiting.
那一下真结实
Man, that’s solid.
布来恩 你在哈佛如何
Brian, how’s Harvard treating ya?
我们在初级赛中嬴了牛津
Can’t complain. We beat Oxford in the Prentice Cup.
我指的是你的功课
l was referring to your courses.
夏季课程还好吗
Summer school was all right?
还好
Uh, fine.
你没再有什么问题吧
Yeah? You didn’t have any more problems, did ya?
没有 一切都很好
Nope. Everything’s fine, Dad.
我很乐意帮忙和你的教授谈谈
l’d be glad to help by talking to your professors.
她很乐意帮你看看 一切都很好
l’d be glad to look at your– – l said everything’s fine.
那就好
Well, good.
他喝多了 生日嘛
He’s had a few, huh? – lt’s his birthday.
晚安 玛丽
Good night! Good night, Mary!
晚安 他叫什么名字
Good night, guys. – Good night– What’s his name?
霍伊
Hewitt.
霍伊
Hewitt. That’s–
别弄了 我早上再收拾 亲爱的
Don’t do anything. l’ll do it in the morning, honey.
谢谢大家为我所准备的
Well, thank you, thank you one and all for a
完美的生日宴会
a beautiful birthday.
生日快乐
Happy birthday. – Happy birthday, Dad.
亲爱的 生日快乐
Happy birthday, darling.
晚安 晚安
Good night. Uh-huh. – Good night?
我们不是要上♥床♥就睡了吧 宝贝
You’re not going to bed. You’re not going to sleep, anyway.
天啊 我得早起呢
Oh, God. – l have to get up early, you know.
我和柯医师约了早上见
l have Dr. Cohn in the morning.
你喜欢贝蒂·米勒吗
Oh, do you like Bette Midler?

Oh! You.
来吧
Come on. Come on.
来吧
Just one.
我才不管呢
l don’t care about that.
我知道我母亲在看病 可是
l knew my mother was going to the doctor, but, uh
不知道是什么病
l didn’t really know what for.
所以你没问
So you didn’t ask.
没有
No.
哪首诗的第一句是 那是圣诞节的前一夜
What poem begins, ”’Twas the night before Christmas”?
却不是叫做 那是圣诞节的前一夜
Uh, it’s not called, ”’Twas the night before Christmas.”
我可以背出整首诗来 那算不算
lt’s called, uh– l can recite the whole thing. Does that count?
有人要咖啡吗
Anybody need any coffee?
只要名称 不用 谢谢
We just need the title. No, thank you. – No? Okay.
我从头来过 别让他作弊
l’m gonna go through the whole thing. – Don’t let him cheat!
Oh, my God. ”A Visit from St. Nick.”
Oh, man! Don’t l get the point?

Hey!
妈妈呢 他们要留她过夜
Where’s Mom? – They’re going to keep her overnight.
她得动手术
She’s going to have to have surgery.
手术
Surgery?
是的 他们要试着取出
Yes, they’re– They’re going to try to take it out.
是癌症吗
lt’s cancer?
确定吗 我要回去过夜
Are they sure? – l’m going back out there to spend the night.
她会死吗
ls she going to die?
不 她不会死
No, she’s not going to die.
她可能需要做放射化疗
After the operation, she may need radiation or chemotherapy.
医生说她可能会很虚弱
The doctor said that that can be very debilitating
这时候会需要人照顾她
in which case she would need somebody to take care of her during the day.
其实 我
Actually, l–
我希望你搬回来
l want you to-to move home
照顾她
to take care of her.
搬回家来
Move home?
布莱恩要上学 爸 我的工作怎么办
Brian is at school. – Dad, what about my job?
你可以做自♥由♥撰稿人
Well, you can freelance from here.
她白天需要人照顾
She’s going to need help during the day.
也许你可以申请休假 已经4年了
Maybe you could take sabbatical. l mean, it’s been four years since
上次你为小说休假 不可能的
you took one for the novel. – A sabbatical is out of the question.
我是系主任 还得养家糊口
l have a department to run, and l have to make a living.
你也知道 我写小说的订金
As you well know, the advance on my novel was spent years ago
早就花费在你和布莱恩的教育上了 爸爸
on yours and Brian’s education.
我必须在纽约进行我的访问及研究
Dad, l have to do my interviews and my research in New York.
你了解我的工作 我不能放掉一切
You know my job. l cannot just drop everything.
我可能追赶不上 这会毁了我的前途
l may never catch up again. lt could ruin my career.
我们可以请一名看护工
We can get a nurse and l will come home every weekend. – A nurse?
护工 你长水痘时你母亲没有请护工
We’re not getting a nurse. Your mother didn’t get a nurse when you had chicken pox.
护工 你明知道她不喜欢家里有外人
A nurse. You know she won’t tolerate having strangers in this house.
你母亲需要的是你 艾伦 上帝
But, Dad– – Your mother needs you, Ellen. Jesus Christ!
你在哈佛受了教育 但你的良心在哪里
You’ve got a Harvard education, but where is your heart?
借过
Excuse me.
亲爱的 嗨
Honey? Hi. – Hey.
对不起我迟到了 嗨 茱尔 嗨 再见
So sorry l’m late. Sorry. Hey, Jules. -Hi. Bye.
亲一下
Okay. Hi. Mmm, kiss. – Hi.
你还好吗
You okay?
把袋子给我吧
Here, give me your bag.
怎么了 我妈妈病了
What’s the matter? She’s what? – My mom is sick.
母亲生病 3个星期休假
Ellen, a sick mother means three weeks off
以及同事所送的美丽的花
and a very nice arrangement of flowers sent by the staff.
还在等着 你在这儿的表现好极了
Yeah, still holding. You’re doing great here.
你离开就没保证了 我只能请你做自♥由♥撰稿人
lf you leave there’s no guarantee. All l could offer you is some freelance work.
没关系 但我依然会在家里完成苏利文的稿子
Okay, but l’m still going to finish the Sullivan piece from home.
你怎么能办到呢
How are you going to do that?
其实凯希说她对苏利文的案子有点头绪 不
Actually, Casey said that he has a way into Sullivan too. – No.
这是我的文章 我可以完成
This is my piece. l can do it.
好的 我知道了
Okay. l know what this is about.
你想升迁
You want an upgrade.
你得到了 我还不知道会是什么
Well, you got it. l don’t know what it is yet
但会是你的
but it’s yours.
你觉得真的会有人为了升迁
You really think that someone would come in here
而说自己的母亲得了癌症吗
and say that their mother has cancer for a promotion?
艾伦 这是纽约
Ellen, this is New York.
艾伦·歌♥尔顿
Ellen Gulden.
嗨 甜心 是爸爸
Hello, sweetheart. lt’s Dad.
嗨 爸爸
Hi, Dad.
你没事吧 没事
You okay? – Yeah, l’m fine.
我很报歉 我也是
Listen, l’m really sorry. – l’m sorry too.
别忘了多配一把钥匙
Don’t forget to make an extra set of keys
以防万一
in case you need to get in. – l know. l know. You know what l need to do?
我会在星期三前把电♥话♥停了
l’ve got to disconnect the phone. – Yes, by Wednesday.
周三 到了给你打电♥话♥
By Wednesday. – Okay. l’ll call then.
你什么搬来 周六吗 周四
When is she moving in? Saturday? – Thursday.
你要做什么 到了给你打电♥话♥
Okay. What are you gonna do? – Call you when l get there.
你总是忘记 让我担心 我不会忘的
You always forget, then l worry. – l won’t forget. l promise.
谢谢 好吧
Thanks. Okay.
亲爱的 我很紧张
Sweetie, l’m all nervous.
我从未试过找人同住
l’ve never asked anybody to live with me.
我会想你 我也会想你
l’m gonna miss you. – l’m gonna miss you too.
艾丽
Ellie?
你回来了
You’re home! – Mm-hmm.
我才想起刚从普林斯顿搬回这些盘子的事
l was just– l was remembering when l moved these plates from Princeton.