不给糖就捣乱
Trick-or-treat. Trick-or-treat.
爸爸
Dad.

Hi. – Hi.
你错过所有来要糖的了
Well, you missed all the trick-or-treaters.
他们可爱极了
They were so cute.
记得布莱恩扮成一粒骰子时
Remember when Brian dressed up like a dice?
还摔倒的事吗 你却不愿扶他起来
And he tipped over and you wouldn’t help him up
因为你正嘲笑他四脚朝天的样子
because you were so busy laughing at his little legs
因为你正嘲笑他四脚朝天的样子
scrambling around in the air like a bug.
你找到你♥爸♥爸了吗 他秘书说他晚上有课
Did you find your dad? -His secretary said he had a late class.
那就没办法了
Oh. That’s too bad.
艾丽 你没事吧
You okay, Ellie?
我很好
Uh-huh. Great. – Good.
我最喜欢这部电影了
l love this movie.
你关心政♥治♥吗
Do you think about politics much?
若是的话 你有何见解
And if so, what do you think about politics?
你也知道那些会议会怎么样
You know how some of these meetings can go. Some of the faculty–
有一名学生有点 你知道的
Uh-huh. – You know, one of the students had a little–
他只是想我打个电♥话♥
Oh. – So he, uh, he just wanted me to call.
好的 他怕你会
Okay. – He thought you– Yeah, he thought you shouldn’t–
他不想你担心
He didn’t want you to worry.
谢谢你 海洛 只不过是
All right. Thank you, Harold. – lt’s just–
只不过是无所谓的会议罢了
Yeah, it’s just another one of those meetings.
艾伦
Ellen?
艾伦
Ellen? – Hmm?
我问到你的父亲 你几乎没提过他
l was asking about your father. You haven’t really mentioned him.
是因为他都不在吗 不 他在
Was he not around that much? – No, he was around.
他是忙着上课
Um, he was busy with his classes
但还是有花时间在家里
but-but he managed to spend time at home.
有一年的一月我看了我美国运通的帐单
l looked at my American Express bill one January
发现我从未买♥♥过戒指
and went into ring failure.
我恨姓名卡 当有女人在我的左胸别上
l was so opposed to name tags that once when a women slapped a gummed label
你好 我叫俄玛的卡片时
over my left bosom that said, ”Hello, my name is Erma ”
我就弯身说 我们该给另一位取什么名字呢
l leaned over and said, ”Now what shall we name the other one?”
你在念什么
What are you reading?
《俄玛阿姨度日守则》
Aunt Erma’s Cope Book:
如何度过星期一到星期五
How To Get From Monday To Friday ln Twelve Days.
你们在哪 在这儿
Hey, guys? – Up here.
我该藏起来吗 当然 否则他会叫警♥察♥
Shall l put it away? – You’d better or else he’ll call the thought police.
他们会穿着尼格子外套
And they’ll come in in tweed jackets
用卷起来的《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》揍我们
and pummel us with rolled up New York Times.
阶级纷争
Whoa! ls this dissension in the ranks?
今夜我是否该选这本书来朗读呢
Should l do my reading from this tonight?
不 今天是感恩节没有朗诵 没人喜欢朗诵
No. No readings this Thanksgiving. Nobody even likes the readings.
只有我们而已 还有乔丹
lt’s just gonna be us. – And Jordan.
等等 你要废除26年来的习俗吗
Wait a minute. You’re gonna buck 26 years of tradition?
没有弗洛斯特或惠特曼和那些令人振奋的死人吗
You’re gonna take away Frost and Whitman and all those other exciting dead guys?
你没事吧 闭嘴
Are you feeling all right? – Shut up.
你们不会相信是谁和海洛在楼下
You are not going to believe who is downstairs with Harold.
奥丽弗·莫斯特
Oliver Most
桂冠诗人 在我家中
poet laureate, in our house.
那是什么书 是我的
What is that book? – Oh, it’s mine.
艾伦 你可以为他们准备些点心吗
Ellen, could you put up, like, some hors d’oeuvres or something for them?
他们会留下吗
Are they staying?
对呀
Yeah.
太棒了
Hmm. – Uh-huh. Great.
爸爸 是的
Dad? – Yeah.
应该只有乔丹和我们 家人而已
lt was just supposed to be Jordan and us, just family.
我的意思是
Well, l mean–
他们没地方去 奥丽弗在巡回签名会的途中
They have no place else to go. Oliver is down from Harvard for a book-signing tour.
他独自一人 你母亲最喜爱他的作品
He’s all by himself. Come on. You know your mother loves Oliver Most’s work.
你承诺过的
You promised.
我骑虎难下
Well, l can’t very well disinvite them now, can l?
我们大家都可以感染一些过节的气氛吧
And we could all use a little holiday cheer around here now.
是吧
Couldn’t we?
起来
Get up!
大功告成 谢谢 艾伦 是你做的
Okay. Thank you. – Oh, Ellen. You did this?
艾伦 你大可不必为此费心
Oh, Ellie. – You don’t have to be concerned with things like that.
时间多得很 我必须回报我父亲
There’s plenty of time. – l have to pay my father when l get back.
我不知道这么做好不好 要来点酒吗
l don’t know if l feel good about it. – Would you like some wine?
时间多的很
Well, you know, there is plenty of time.
一名作家 写了一些东西
A writer writes something. He calls his friend. He says
他打电♥话♥给朋友说完成了一些东西 但不太好
”l’m finished writing a little something, and it’s not very good.
根本糟透了 但最糟的是我已尽力
ln fact, it’s terrible. The worse part about it is it’s the best thing l can do.”
那人是斯坦培克 《愤怒的葡萄》
And that was Steinbeck, Grapes of Wrath.
你父亲告诉我 你是写文学评论的
Your father tells me you write literary reviews from time to time.
是的 有其父必有其女
Mm-hmm. That’s right. – That’s interesting. Like father, like daughter.
你曾经评过我的作品吗
Tell me, have you ever had the opportunity to review any of my work?
我现在想说感谢辞 好的
l want to say grace now. – Oh, good.
乔治 我想说自己的谢辞
Uh, no, George, l want to say my own grace.
当然
Of course.
感谢如此甜美的世界
Thank you for the world so sweet.
感谢如此丰盛的食物
Thank you for the food we eat.
感谢歌♥唱的鸟儿
Thank you for the birds that sing.
上帝 感谢你所有的一切
Thank you, God, for everything.
也感谢艾丽如此丰盛的晚餐
And thank you, Ellie, for making such a beautiful Thanksgiving dinner.
当然
Sure.
太棒了 敬罐头厨师
Bravo. – To Chef Boyardee.
闭嘴 太烂了
Shut up. That’s terrible. – Well
敬我们的惊喜与欢愉
to our great surprise and delight
今晚将载入我们家族史册
tonight has become a night to go down in our family’s history books.
我们何其荣幸能款待到奥丽弗·莫斯特先生
We have the honor to have with us Oliver Most, who–
您的作品对我影响深远
whose work means so much to me
也是鼓励我的《回来小馆》的第一个人
and who was the first to encourage me with Comeback lnn.
他已经答应晚餐后为我们朗读他的新书
He’s agreed after dinner to read to us from his new book
而我
for which l–
真是太感谢了
l’m very grateful.
乔治 我很乐意
Well, George, l’m happy to oblige
但是你得提醒我
but you’re gonna have to remind me.
《回来小馆》是什么玩意
What in the hell is Comeback lnn?
听起来像是我鼓励你投资了某种
lt sounds as if l’ve encouraged you to invest in some sort of
公路旁的汽车旅馆似的
uh, roadside motel.
你可以把蔬菜传一下吗 好的
Honey, would you pass the vegetables around?
你想要些萝卜吗 亲爱的
Yeah. You want some carrots, sweetheart?
是我的小说
That’s my novel.
我的小说 是的
My novel. – Yeah.
天啊 乔治 对不起 我忘记了
Well, Jesus, George. l’m sorry. l forgot.
就如特伯所言 当60岁来临
As Thurber says, ”With 60 staring me in the face
我早已对文章词句无动于衷
”l’ve developed inflammation of the sentence structure
-a definite hardening of the paragraph.” -Everything looks beautiful.
Up in my blue room
Fools rush in and not to bed
l am the rich of the real dead head
Sure am gonna love you one more time
Little bit of whiskey Little bit of my mind
Well, you don’t know the things l see in here
你看到我爸今晚的态度了吗
Hey, did you see my dad tonight?
我真受不了他
He just kills me.
他对于晚餐不发一言
You know, he doesn’t say one word to me about dinner
就这么回书房♥
and then he just goes off to his study.
好像我们是他的佣人一样
Like we’re servants there to serve him or something.
你好 再来一杯
Hello? Another round.
你以为自己是圣尼·乔普琳 别逞能了
What are you, Janice Joplin? Take it easy on the sauce, okay? – No. No.
我已经两个月没出来玩了 我知道
l have not been out in two months. – l know.
我应该再来一杯 我明白
l deserve another drink. – l know.
我有权再喝一杯
l deserve another drink
特别是从一开始就是如此
especially since it’s been like that since the beginning.
你知道他什么都不做吗
Do you know he doesn’t do anything?
他真的都不干 我什么都做
He really doesn’t. He doesn’t do anything. l do everything.
我做所有的事 我知道
l do. l do everything. – l realize that.
但我想在这种情况下 你必须
But l think in situations like this, you have to
同情别人
be sympathetic with people.
每个人处理坏事情的方式不同
l mean, everybody has to deal with bad stuff in their own way, you know.
什么