Big as an apple, it was.
你那个“士兵”肯定也是练过拳击的
That fellow of yours must have given him what I gave the gunner.
什么?一个包
What? A bump.
毕夫 别逗我笑 太好笑了 什么?
Biffer, don’t make me laugh. I’ll go into hysterics. What?
他是个好人 你也是
He is an angel. So are you.
我现在要挂了 我要去告诉史密斯 他肯定会很高兴的
Do you mind if I rush off now and tell Smithy? He’ll be so happy.
非常感谢 亲爱的 再见
A thousand thanks, darling, and goodbye.
史密斯 现在一切都好了
Smithy, it’s all right.
不是吗?萨姆他没事
Isn’t it wonderful? Sam’s all right.
现在你不用担心了
Now you have nothing to worry about, nothing.
萨姆真是个好人 他说自己摔伤只是个意外
Sam’s being awfully decent about it. He says it was just an accident.
意外?
An accident?
是我们的一个朋友 他摔伤了
It’s a friend of ours who had a bad fall.
我们都很担心他 但现在他好了
We were terribly worried about him, but it’s all right.
我们现在可以留在这里了
And we would like to stay…
你能租♥房♥♥间给我们吗?
that is, if you can have us.
好的 我们这里有个双人间 整天都可以看见阳光
Well, I’ve got a nice double front. Sun comes in all day.
你丈夫得了流感 晒太阳对他有好处
Just the thing for your husband after the flu.
他不是我的丈夫
He’s not my husband.
我的意思是 现在还不是 我们只订了婚
Not yet, I mean. We’re just sort of engaged.
那么我们这里有两个连着的房♥间
I’ve got two nice rooms adjoining…
条件舒适 还能看见水景
with hot and cold and a view of the lake.
你们可以上来看看
If you’d like to come up.
史密斯 这太好了!
Smithy, isn’t it wonderful?
感谢上帝 我本来担心坏了
I’m so thankful. I was terribly worried.
现在你要做的就是尽快康复 你很快就会好起来的 是吗?
All you have to do is to get well, and you will get well, won’t you…
就在这个美丽的地方 说吧 你会好起来的
in this lovely place? Say it. Let me hear you say it.
– 我会的 – 太好了
– I will. – That’s the spirit.
我骗老板说我们订婚了 你不会介意吧 是吗?
I had to tell her we were engaged. You don’t mind, do you?
我还以为你上来了呢!
I thought you was behind me.
你不想看♥房♥♥间吗?
Don’t you want to see the rooms?
当然想了 我们这就来
I’m sorry. Yes, of course. We’re just coming.
来 史密斯
Come on, Smithy.
如果我是你的话 我会打开的
If I were you, I’d open it.
史密斯 你真坏 我只是好奇罢了
Smithy, you are a fraud. I’m simply dying of curiosity.
这是利物浦的一家报纸寄过来的
It’s from Liverpool, from that newspaper.
是的 没错
I say. So it is.
利物浦水星报 责任编辑 塞缪尔·C·亨森
“Liverpool Mercury. Managing Editor, Samuel C. Henson.”
你不是给他们寄过一篇文章吗?
Must be about that article you sent them.
– 是的 我想也是 – 天啊 史密斯 打开吧!
– Yes, I suppose it could be. – For pity’s sake, Smithy, open it.
– 一张支票 – 我不信 给我看看
– It’s a check. – I don’t believe it. Let me look.
一张小额支票 但真的是支票
It’s a small check, but it’s a check.
史密斯 太好了
Smithy, how wonderful.
– 你高兴吗? – 高兴
– Aren’t you terribly happy? – Yes, I am.
– 这对我来说很重要 – 史密斯 你真让我骄傲
– Means an awful lot. – Smithy, I’m proud of you.
你还不知道你身边有个作家吧?
You didn’t know you had an author on your hands, did you?
我知道 我早就知道你很棒 我一点都不吃惊
Yes, I did. I knew you were good. I’m really not a bit surprised.
你认为我也可以赚钱?
You think I can sell another?
可以 而且很多
Another and another and another. Lots of them.
史密斯 我不知道你以前是不是作家
Smithy, I wonder if you were a writer before you…
– 在战前 – 我也怀疑这一点
– Before the war. – Yes, I’ve wondered that, too.
你不想知道你的过去吗?
Aren’t you terribly curious? About the past, I mean?
想知道 但现在我们要向前看
Well, I’d like to know, but the present’s looking up.
如果回到从前
Supposing it all came back to you suddenly…
你还是个大人物呢?
and it was awfully grand, with all sorts of wonderful people?
我觉得现在就挺好
I wouldn’t mind a bit.
有可能你还结过婚的呢?史密斯
You might even be married, Smithy. Who knows?
胡说
Nonsense.
– 你怎么这么肯定? – 因为…
– How can you be so sure? – Well, because…
保拉 我不知道 我能不能靠写作为生?
Paula, I wonder if I could make a living at writing.
当然可以
Of course you could.
有一份固定的收入 能够自立
Make a regular income, be independent.
为什么不行呢?
Why not?
那我就是你的打字员
And I’m getting quite good at typewriting.
这很难开口 但是…
It’s a lot of nerve, but…
我已经爱上你了
I’ve fallen in love with you.
不 你不会的 我配不上你
No, you haven’t. You’re just being a gentleman.
不 我不是什么大人物
No. I’m nothing of the sort.
我想养你
I’m asking you to marry me…
用我微薄的收入
on a check for two guineas.
史密斯 别求我
Smithy, don’t ask me, please.
我很羞愧
I might take you up on it. I’m just that shameless.
保拉
Paula.
从一开始起 就是我在追你 你知道的
I’ve run after you from the very beginning. You know I have.
从我第一次眼看见你 我就再也离不开你
I’ve never let you out of my sight since I first saw you in that little shop.
– 永远不要 保拉 – 什么?
– Never do it, Paula. – What?
永远不要离开我! 永远!
Never leave me out of your sight. Never again.
史密斯 你是认真的吗?
Smithy, you do mean it?
你真的想娶我吗?
You do want it? Really?
非你不娶!
More than anything else in the world.
是你给了我活下去的信心
My life began with you.
没有你 我也活不下去
I can’t imagine a future without you.
那么我答应你
I better say yes quickly before you change your mind.
你答应了!亲爱的
It’s yes, darling.
这下我放心了
Now I can relax.
我好饿
I’m hungry.
– 史密斯 – 什么?
– Smithy. – What is it?
亲爱的 你向我求婚
But, darling, you proposed to me…
我答应了你
and I’ve accepted you…
怎么了?
What’s wrong?
史密斯 难道每次都要我主动吗?
Smithy, do I always have to take the initiative?
你应该吻我 亲爱的
You’re supposed to kiss me, darling.
再见
Goodbye.
– 我真替你们高兴 – 再见 上帝保佑你们
– I’m so happy for you. – Goodbye. God bless you both.
谢谢你 牧师 谢谢你 医生 谢谢你们所有的人
Thanks, Vicar. Thanks, Doctor. Thanks again for all your kindness.
– 给你这个 – 不 医生
– Here. Take this. – Doctor, no.
没关系的 洗礼的时候用
That’s all right. Keep it for the christening.
– 再见 – 再见
– Goodbye. – Goodbye.
我得给这个门上点油
I must oil that hinge.
等等
Wait.
– 把这枝剪了吧 – 不 亲爱的 这样更美
– I must cut that back. – No, darling. It’s so pretty.

Home.

Home.
– 是今天吗 先生? – 是的
– Today, is it, sir? – I think so.
– 你请了人照顾吗? – 三天前请的
– Have you got the nurse in? – Three days ago.
– 这种事很辛苦的 – 我理解你的感受 先生
– Pretty trying, this business. – I know how you feel, sir.
我也经历过
Been through it myself.
– 你夫人疼的厉害吗? – 还好
– Did your wife suffer much? – No, nothing to speak of.
但是我可紧张了
But me, crikey.
你也头疼吗?
Got neuralgia, have you?
– 我没有 – 你真好运
– I don’t think so. – Lucky.
我当时可受了一阵苦
I had it something cruel with our second.
– 医生说是什么综合性神经痛 – 是吗?
– What they call synthetic pain. – Do they?
医生说这是学名
That’s the scientific name for it.
我想我这个病不会再犯了 你知道吗?
I said I’d never face it again, but you know how it is.
我现在已经有四个仔了 也许还会有吧
Here I am with four and more bad news on the way.
好了 祝你好运 先生
Well, good luck to you, sir.
现在好了 史密斯
It’s all right, Smith.
她已经脱离危险了 很辛苦 但她熬过来了
She’s out of danger now. It’s been a hard fight, but she’s made it…
你有儿子了!
and you have a son.
去看看吧 她现在已经好了
Come on. Pull yourself together. She’s all right.
你再也不用担心了 是个男孩 你不是想要男孩吗?
Nothing in the world to worry you now. It’s a boy. That’s what you wanted.
8磅重
And eight pounds of him, too.
你不想看看她吗?
Don’t you want to see her after all her trouble?

Of course you do.
早上好 我要注册一个新户口
Good morning. I’ve dropped in to register a new subject.
– 孩子叫什么名字? – 名字叫约翰 跟我姓
– Name of child? – We’re calling him John, after me.
我夫人说他跟我长的很像 但我没看出来
My wife thinks he’s the image of me, but I don’t see it.
是吗?出生日期?
Really? And the date?
他的眼睛和他母亲一样 是蓝色的 他笑的时候…
He has her eyes, blue, and when he smiles…
跟他母亲像极了 牙齿…

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!