Using 17 of my patents.
你好 安妮
Hello, Anne.
我刚泡的茶
I’ve just made tea.
我知道你父亲上周去开罗了
I understand your father left for Cairo last week.
他的助手说 两周后才能联♥系♥到他
His aides say he can’t be reached for another two weeks.
如果这个塔完成了
When this tower is complete,
就能立刻联♥系♥到他了
he will be able to be reached in an instant.
我来这不是替他传话或是谈论他
I’m not here to talk for him or about him.
除了要告诉你
Except to tell you
他知道你欠债了
that he knows you’re in debt.
他当然欠债了
Of course he’s in debt.
他至少正在三个领域展开革新
He’s revolutionizing at least three fields of…
很多的债务
Deep debt.
当你发出求救信♥号♥♥时
And when you send out distress signals…
你知不知道他研究的意义
Do you understand the scale of what he’s…
你那样只会警示其他投资者
It can only alarm any other investors,
如果还剩下有投资人需要被提醒的话
if any are left to be alarmed.
而我父亲想要的只是一种
And all my father asked for was a way
向大洋彼岸发送股票报告的方法
to send stock reports across the Atlantic.
我们没有其他的投资者
We don’t have any other investors.
你当然不会有
Why would you?
我父亲有你专利51%的股权
My father has a 51% share of your patents.
我想知道你为什么要接受采访
I’m wondering why you’re giving interviews
谈论关于从火星接收信息的事
about getting messages from Mars.
我发现了三种
I had three
信♥号♥♥
signals,
特殊的振动 甚至不是随机的
distinct vibrations, even, not random.
我相信它包含着信息
I do believe it pretends a message.
你为什么要把这件事公开
Why would you go on record with this?
我说过它包含
I said it pretends…
来自火星
From Mars?
我父亲会读这些的
My father reads these things.
你相信有火星人吗
You believe in martians?
实际上外星生命存在的可能
The chance of alien life is actually…
外星生命
Alien life
在统计学上是肯定存在的
is a statistical certainty.
如果你接收的是马可尼的信♥号♥♥呢
What if you’re picking up Marconi’s signals?
他从英吉利海峡那边发的测试信♥号♥♥
His test signals from across the English Channel.
不是火星 而是马可尼
Not Mars, but Marconi?
我相信我可能是
I believe that I may be
第一个
the first person
听到星际问候的人
who has ever heard the sound of one planet greeting another.
你的系统要是成功了会怎样
What happens if your system succeeds?
谁来控制电力分配
Who controls the distribution of power?
没人控制
Nobody controls it.
就像空气 对吗
Like air, right?
你不能把它打包贩卖♥♥
You can’t break it into saleable units
所有人都能用
available to everyone.
是的
That’s right.
你就从来没想过这世界的运转方式
Doesn’t it occur to you that the way the world runs
是由操控这些的人决定的吗
is determined by the manipulation of all this?
电力 能源
Power, energy.
而你想做的是
And what you wanna do is…
你是想干什么呢
What do you want to do?
等这个系统完成
When this system is complete,
我们就能去沼泽
we will be able to go to a swamp,
或者沙漠 一些环境恶劣破败的地方
or a desert, some place broken, and plighted.
小地方 或是出海
Places small, sea for a few,
带着简单的机器就能发光发热
simple machines and have light, heat,
电力驱动 完整的通信系统
mode of power, a complete system of communication
给那些目前还生活在
for a people previously living under
最糟糕的环境中的人们用
the most wretched of circumstances.
而且
And
我们不用花多少钱就能做到
we will be able to do it cheaply.
你不是搞经济的
You are not an economist.
一切都是有代价的
Everything has to be paid for.
尤其要付钱
Especially money.
在1901年12月我父亲给特斯拉的15万
The 150,000 my father gives Tesla in December, 1901,
相当于今天的四百万
equivalent of four million in today’s money,
和他四月份买♥♥这幅画的价钱一样
is the same amount he paid for this painting in April.
而这个
Though this
是他这段时期买♥♥的画里我最喜爱的一幅
is my favorite painting he bought at this time.
勒梅尔
Remere,
又是十万
another 100,000.
与此同时 夜以继日的工作
During the same period, working day and night,
皮尔庞特组织创立了美国钢铁公♥司♥
Pierpont organizes the creation of U.S. Steel,
第一家估值10亿美元的公♥司♥
the first company valued at a billion dollars.
一整年 摩根先生
Since a year, Mr. Morgan,
几乎没有一个夜晚
there has been hardly a night
我的枕头不是被泪水浸湿的
when my pillow has not been bathed in tears,
但你不要因此觉得我是个弱者
but you must not think me a weak man for that.
等这个发明得到应用
When while this is applied,
地球就会变成一个巨型大脑
the earth will be converted into a huge brain,
在它的任何部位都可以作出反应
capable of response in every one of it parts.
我发现的这个原理
Its principles I have discovered
将会引发重大变革
will cause a revolution so great
对几乎所有的价值观和人类关系
that almost all values and all human relations
都会产生深远的影响
will be profoundly modified.
我的专利将垄断市场
My patents confer a monopoly.
特斯拉先生
Ah, Mr. Tesla.
我知道你的船触礁了
I understand your ship has run up against the rocks.
真遗憾
Great pity.
摩根先生
Mr. Morgan.
没有一个人
There isn’t a single person that’s come to visit me
在过去的30年里
in the last 30 years who’s come for any purpose
是为了钱以外的目的来找我
other than to grovel on the carpet for money.
我给你发了详尽的电报
I’ve sent you detailed telegraphs, facts.
我不是来乞讨的流浪汉
I’m not a vagabond come to beg.
去年我为你提供了10万美元
Last year I provided you with $100,000.
几个月后 你说要再加5万
Months later, you requested additional aid, $50,000 more.
你觉得我是无底洞吗
Do you think I’m a bottomless pit?
等我的项目完成
When my work is finished,
你的投资就会有十倍百倍的回报
you’ll recoup your investment tenfold, a hundredfold.
我不相信你能完成你的工作
I’m not convinced you will finish your work.
反正我不缺钱
Anyway, I’m in no need of money.

Ball.
我正在尝试新方法
I’m working on a new method
让思想成像
to photograph thought,
记录脑电波
transcribing electric impulses from the brain.
渥太华的印第安人认为银河
The Ottawa Indians considered the Milky Way
是被乌龟搅动的浑水
to be muddy water stirred by a turtle
因为乌龟在天空底部游来游去
swimming along the bottom of the sky.
你对此有什么想法
What do you think of that?
除了事物的不变本质没什么是长久的
There is nothing durable but the eternal state of things.
不要让你自己被这世界的可怕吓倒
Do not let yourself be intimidated by the horror of the world.
一切都井然有序 准确无误
Everything’s ordered and correct and
必须完成它的使命 以保持完美
must fulfill its destiny in order to retain perfection.
很快我就能公布
Soon I will be able to release
一系列的新发明
a new series of inventions
那将让战争的方式变得难以想象
that will make warfare unthinkable.
核心内容是
The central idea is
由极小粒子组成的射线
a beam of some microscopic particles traveling at a speed
以接近光速的速度射出
close to that of the speed of light.
它能拦截下250英里外的军队
It will stop an army in its tracks at 250 miles,
甚至能从更远的距离击落一个中队的飞机
swipe a squadron of airplanes at an even greater distance.
射线是以直线轨迹行进
Beam travels in a straight line trajectory
因此范围受地球曲面的限制
therefore has range limitations by the curvature of the earth
所有重要的细节还没在我脑海中完成
and all the essential details aren’t finished in my mind.
♪ 欢迎来到你的生活 ♪
♪ Welcome to your life ♪
♪ 没有回头路了 ♪
♪ There’s no turning back ♪
♪ 甚至在我们睡觉时 ♪

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!