头发是不导电的
Hair is not conductive.
他们应该把他的手放在一缸水里
They should put his hand in a jar of water.
他们下次会做好的
They’ll get it right next time.
你在纵容我
You’re indulging me
因为我的父亲
because of my father.
不是
No.
我开始想
I came to wonder,
有没有女人能
could any woman ever reach
像他母亲一样触碰到他的内心
or touch Tesla? The way his mother had?
在她死前 他预见到了
He had a vision just before she died.
1♥8♥9♥2年复活节凌晨一点
Easter Sunday at one a.m., 1♥8♥9♥2.
他母亲葬礼过后 他病倒了
After her funeral, he fell ill
像个影子一样在她出生的村子里
and spent three weeks living like a shadow in the village
游荡了三周
where she was born.
然后他触底反弹在贝尔格莱德开了次讲座
Then he rebounded, gave a lecture in Belgrade
然后回家了
and came home.

No.
你把人当作机器 但你错了
You think of people as machines, but you’re wrong.
-他们不是 -我说的是
– They aren’t. – I said
整个宇宙是一台机器
the universe is a machine.
不对
No.
我们有外在也有内在
We have an outside and an inside.
我们有意志也有灵魂
We have wills and souls.
我没事
I’m fine.
只是有时候
It’s just sometimes
珍珠会让我感到不适
I have a rather unfavorable reaction to pearls.
让我们单独聊聊
Leave us alone.
我父亲
My father…
你应该见见他
You should meet my father.
他擅长与数字和机器打交道 像你一样
He’s good with numbers and objects, like you.
我确实想见见他
I would like to meet him.
若不是他太忙着帮爱迪生的话
If he isn’t too busy helping Edison.
当心他的鼻子
Watch out for his nose.
他的什么
His what?
他的鼻子
His nose.
我想你应该听说过
You’ve heard about it, I assume?
是世界上最有钱的男人却有可怕的皮肤病
The richest man in the world and he has a hideous skin disease.
他鼻子因此发炎变形
Inflaming and disfiguring his nose.
如果你假装看不见 他会生气
He dares you to pretend you don’t see it.
可能也会发生在我身上
Maybe it will happen to me,
只是时间问题
it’s just a matter of time.
也许我没有鼻子会更好
Maybe I’d be better off without a nose,
像斯芬克斯一样
like the sphinx.
你打算什么时候去芝加哥
When are you going to Chicago?
你怎么知道我要去
How did you know about that?
西屋正在安装数百台发电机
Westinghouse is installing hundreds of dynamos.
25万个电灯泡
250,000 light bulbs.
我明天走
I leave tomorrow.
和你朋友一起吗
With your friend?
那个匈牙利人
The Hungarian?
西盖蒂
Szigeti?
不是
No.
他失去了他的罗盘
He lost his compass.
去了南美碰碰运气
He went to South America to seek his fortune.
但他不是你
But wasn’t he your,
你最好的朋友吗
your best friend?
我可以去芝加哥看你
I can visit you in Chicago.
没这个必要
That’s not necessary.
谢谢 不用了
Thank you, no.
你需要我
You need me.
我爸告诉我 思考
Thinking, my father taught me,
比知晓更有趣
is more interesting than knowing
但不如好运
but less interesting than lucking.
这是判断1♥8♥9♥3年芝加哥世博会
That’s one way to size up the pavilion of light
馆内光线是否充足的一种方法
at the World’s Fair in Chicago 1♥8♥9♥3,
展会用的是新的特斯拉西屋公♥司♥设备
where the new Tesla Westinghouse machines
提供电能和照明
provide power and illumination.
期间展会的耗电量
The fair consumes
是整个城市耗电量的四倍
three times more electricity than the whole city itself.
世界各地约有2800万游客前往参观
28 million visitors from around the world
他们都见证了爱迪生试图否决的交流电
and they all see what Edison has tried to deny,
交流电很美
alternating current is beautiful
也很安全
and safe.
谢谢你能来
Thank you for joining me.
请坐
Please.
我自作主张
I took the liberty,
给我们都点了
ordered for us both.
一份美式餐点
An American meal.

Pie.
你去过我的展区
So you’ve been to my exhibition,
那个塔 爱迪生之柱
the tower, the Edison column.
上面有一万八千个灯泡
18,000 bulbs literally
被2500个不同类型的爱迪生灯具围绕着
surrounded by 25 hundred different types of Edison lamps.
吃吧 刚出炉的
Go ahead, it’s fresh.
我现在是美国人了
Well, I’m an American now.
完全的美国公民
Full-fledged citizen.
是是 你当然是
Yes, yes, of course you are.
像我刚才说的 都在展出
As I was saying, it’s really on display.
爱迪生发电机 熨斗 缝纫机马达
Edison dynamos, flat irons, sewing machine motors,
餐厅风扇 电梯
dinging room fans, elevators.
我喜欢那些玩偶
I like the dolls.
玩偶
The dolls?
它们很好玩
They’re very amusing.
会说话的玩偶
Hmm, the talking dolls.
是我们赶出来的 还不完美
We rushed it, it’s not perfect.
电影放映机 会动的图片
Kinetoscope, moving pictures.
大家都会喜欢的
Everybody will like that.
但我邀请了你 你来了
But I invited you, here you are.
特斯拉 我的意思很明显
Tesla, it’s plain as day.
这次整个世博会
This entire World’s Fair
都是由交流电供电的
is lit and powered by alternating current.
西屋的机器 你的设计
Westinghouse machines, your design.
我对交流电的看法错了
I was wrong about alternating current.
我对你的看法也错了
I was wrong about you.
我还有资本 我还有投资者
I still have capital, I still have investors.
无人能比的公♥关♥能力
An unmatched capacity for PR.
让我们重新认识一下
Let’s reset the clocks.
过去的就让它过去吧
Bygones be bygones.
你肯定有各种想法
You must have all sorts of ideas.
选个项目
Pick a project,
一个不可思议的
something incredible, huh?
我们可以一起完成伟大的发明 你觉得呢
We can do incredible things together, huh?
下一步你想做什么
What do you wanna do next?
带火了吗
Got a light?
你有火吗
Do you have a light?
这次会面从未发生过
This meeting never happened.
爱迪生和特斯拉在世博会上没有交谈过
Edison and Tesla didn’t talk at the World Fair.
在对交流电的看法上
Edison never admitted he was wrong
爱迪生从未认过错
about alternating current.
没有道歉 他们也没有和解
There was no apology, no reconciliation.
你不禁会想
And you can’t help but wonder,
要是特斯拉身边有个敏锐聪明的人
if only Tesla had someone sharp and smart at his side,
一个有见识的骗子引导他渡过难关
an enlightened hustler to steer him through the crass,
也就是商业领域
commercial world.
要是有的话
If only.
特斯拉博士
Dr. Tesla.
他正在等你
He’s waiting for you.
我知道你不喜欢
I know you don’t like to
握手 我记住了
shake hands, I’ve taken note.
借过 当心脚下
Excuse me, watch your toes.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!