他们向我保证过这是个僻静的
I was assured this was an out of the way
会面场所 但是
meeting place but it’s…
我被误导了
I was misinformed.
让我们
Let’s
也许这里
maybe.
爱迪生没落了
Edison sunk.
他的处境岌岌可危
He’s on the ropes.
我们击败了他
We beat him.
问题从来都不在于爱迪生
It was never about Edison.
他只是站错边了
He was simply on the wrong side of the street.
从我的法律账单来看
My legal bills would suggest
情况可能比这更糟
it’s a bit more ugly than that.
因为
‘Cause
事情是这样的
here’s the thing,
西屋电气公♥司♥正在为生存而战
Westinghouse Electric is fighting for its life.
经济形势以及爱迪生的合并
The economy and the Edison merger.
我相信你明白这个
I’m sure you understand this.
即使尼亚加拉委员会
Even with the Niagara Commission
站在我们这边
on our side,
摩根大通才是幕后主使
JP Morgan is pulling all the strings.
我们没有任何胜算 除非我们也发起
We don’t stand a chance unless we initiate
类似的合并
a similar merger on our side.
我的新董事会
My new Board of Directors

says
如果我支付你合同里规定的分红
if I pay you the royalties spelled out in your contract,
我们就完蛋了
we’re bust.
这笔钱太多了
It’s too much money.
整个公♥司♥都会处于危险之中
The whole company’s in jeopardy.
他们拒绝
They refuse
继续推进合并
to go forward with the merger
除非你合同中的马力条款取消
unless your contract, the horsepower clause, is canceled.
你介意我们去一个不那么脏的地方吗
Would you mind if we went somewhere a little less dusty?
你的意思是如果我放弃这个
You mean that if I give this up
合并就可以继续
and the merger goes through,
你也能继续掌控你的公♥司♥
you’ll retain control of your company
多相系统也终于可以推广开了
and the polyphase system finally?
没错是的
Yes, right.
终于
Finally.
全国都会用上交流电
The whole country is put on AC,
通过你的机器
on your machines.
是我们的机器
Our machines.
你的多相系统
Your polyphase system.
你知道我对它的感受的
You know how I feel about this.
如果我拒绝呢
And if I refuse?
那你就得和银行家们打交道
You’ll have to deal with the bankers.
我不会怪你 但在那种情况下
I wouldn’t blame you, but in that case
我就不会牵扯进来了
I’d be clear out of the picture.
一个理智的人会说
A sensible man would have said,
“等一下 让我和我的律师谈谈”
“Wait a minute, let me talk to my lawyer.”
但是特斯拉
But Tesla…
撕碎它
Tear it up.
撕碎它
Tear it up
我认为最好是由你来撕碎它
I’d prefer if you tore it up.
你不会后悔的
You won’t regret it.
我们会去尼亚加拉的
We are going to Niagara.
没什么能阻止了
There’s no stopping it.

All right.
不会有事的 别担心
It’s gonna be okay, don’t worry.
剥下猫皮的方法不止一种
There’s more than one way to skin a cat.
是的 我听过这句话
Yes, I’ve heard that.
你觉得那是真的吗
Do you think it’s true?
当然
Of course.
我是个剥猫皮的熟练工了
Take it from an old cat skinner.
莎拉·伯恩哈特 神圣的莎拉
Sarah Bernhardt, the divine Sarah.
第一个国际知名的巨星
The first internationally famous celebrity superstar.
传说她有一次把手帕掉在了
Legend has it, she once dropped her handkerchief
特斯拉的脚上
at Tesla’s feet.
还是她的围巾
Or was it her scarf?
她一生都在奔波 周游世界
She’s in motion all her life, traveling the globe.
她第一次在美国舞台上露面
She makes her first appearance on the American stage
是在1881年的纽约
in New York in 1881.
凌晨两点 在她去波士顿的路上
At two in the morning on her way to Boston,
她在新泽西州的门洛帕克停了下来
she stops off in Menlo Park, New Jersey
去拜访巫师托马斯·阿尔瓦·爱迪生
to visit the wizard, Thomas Alva Edison.
仔细听我说
Listen to me carefully.
现在的每一刻对我来说都很珍贵
Every moment now is precious to me.
我曾是谜中的怪物
I was the monster in this riddle.
我被乱♥伦♥的激♥情♥搞疯了
I was insane with incestuous passion.
现在我沉醉于一种致命的毒药
Now I am drunk on an infallible poison.
我能感到我的脉搏冰冷地将其送到我的脚
I can feel my pulses pushing it icily into my feet,
我的手 以及我的发根
hands, and the roots of my hair.
10年后 她回来了
10 years later, she’s back
来参加芝加哥世博会和另一场盛大的巡演
for the Chicago World’s Fair and another grand tour.
她坐着棺材旅行 你知道吗
She travels in a coffin, you know?
她就睡在那个棺材里
Which she sleeps in.
她睡在
She sleeps
一具棺材里面
in a coffin.
为死亡做准备
To prepare for the reality of death.
我也想要一具棺材
I’d like a coffin.
她的座右铭是”quand meme”
Her motto is quand meme,
翻译过来是尽管如此
which translated means all the same
或者是不管怎样 即使如此
or despite everything, even so.
无论怎样
No matter what?
你说法语吗
Do you speak French?
我可以说一些单词
I can speak a few words…
以及一些句子
…even form some sentences.
我想再见到你
I would like to see you again.
和我一起走好吗
Will you come with me?
Quand meme
Quand meme.
很高兴见到你 很高兴见到你
Pleased to meet you. Pleased to meet you.
罗伯特·安德伍德·约翰逊 《世纪》杂♥志♥
Robert Underwood Johnson, the Century Magazine.
我和我的夫人
I and my wife…
凯瑟琳
Catherine.
我们想见你本人
We have been wanting to see you in the flesh
已经很久了
for a very long time.
真的很久 我们太高兴了
A very long time. It’s so delightful.
已经高兴过头了
Overwhelming.
请允许我介绍一下
May I introduce?
你认识这位才华横溢的尼古拉·特斯拉吗
Do you know the brilliant, Nikola Tesla?
我认为这看起来像在火中燃烧的纸
I believe this looks like a sheet of paper burning in flames.
你是演员吗
Are you an actor?
他看起来像是演员
He looks like an actor.
他是有史以来最伟大的发明家
He’s the greatest inventor of all time.
这个时代最伟大的发明家
The greatest inventor of the age.
他很害羞
He is shy.
但你坚持要直视我的眼睛吗
But you insist in looking me directly in the eye?
是的 他确实会那么做
Yes, he does that.
美丽的莎拉小姐
Ah, the divine Miss Sarah,
你真是光彩照人
you couldn’t have been diviner.
显然你们已经认识对方了
Of course you already know each other.
你好 罗伯特
Hello, Robert.
凯瑟琳 我想你还不认识我妻子米娜
Catherine, I don’t believe you know my wife, Mina.
你在台上死去的那刻我摒住了呼吸
When you died I had to hold my breath.
实在是太可怕了
It was terrifying.
和我的感觉完全一样
Exactly how I felt.
保佑我妻子 凯瑟琳
Bless my wife, Catherine.
你知道吗 特斯拉先生九年前曾在
You know, I had Mr. Tesla
我的工作室工作过
at my workshop nine years ago.
他待了 多久来着
He lasted, what?
六个月
Six months.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!