我♥干♥些入室盗窃 抢劫
I was doing burglaries and some robberies…
还有一些类似这样的劫财之事
and a few possession cases and stuff like that.
他过来对我说
I think he just came up to me and said:
你是伊迪丝 詹姆斯吧 我想谈谈关于我的案子
“Are you Edith James? I’d like to talk about my case.”
不管怎样 我就这样记住了
That’s the way I remember it, anyhow.
我说 当然可以 我接着说 哪种类型的案子
And I said, “Sure.” And I said, “What sort of a case is it?”
他说 是一个谋杀 会判死刑
He said, “It’s a capital murder.” And I said…
我想
Inside, I kind of thought:
我虽没处理过种案子 但我可以和他谈
“I’ve never done one, but I can surely talk to him about it.”
我不喜欢被别人看成是那种
I hate to be considered…
相信他们的客户是无辜的人
some kind of dummy that believes in the innocence of her clients.
很多人觉得 一个女律师
A lot of people think, “A woman lawyer…
会轻易相信别人
“she’s bound to stupidly believe anything she’s told.”
我承认 我就是这种容易上当的人
I admit, I’m sort of a gullible person.
但从另一方面来说 我见过很多人
But on the other hand, I’ve seen an awful lot of people…
他们或是承认有罪 或是被认定有罪
who admitted guilt or were found guilty…
而兰德尔就要定罪了 我觉得
and all but Randall turned out to be guilty, in my opinion.
道格拉斯 穆德的证据很充足
Douglas Mulder had a perfect win record.
他从法♥院♥卸任后后就没有失败过
I believe he resigned from the D.A. ‘s office without any defeats.
他就是个传奇
That’s why he’s legendary.
关于穆德
Everything, as I recall, that Mulder ever said…
都是在赞扬他的伟大
was about what a great guy Mulder was…
他能赢得所有案子是多么令人惊叹
and how marvelous it was that he was getting all these convictions.
当我正想要别人接手此案的时候 丹尼斯表示很有兴趣
I wanted somebody else in on it, so I got Dennis interested in it…
丹尼斯法庭经验丰富
because Dennis has a lot more trial experience…
他几乎赢了所有有他陪审的案子
and Dennis wins practically all of his jury cases.
对于兰德尔 亚当斯的案子 丹尼斯显得很兴奋
And Dennis was very enthusiastic about the Randall Adams case…
他总说 这个案子我们能赢
because he kept saying, “This is one we can win.
他们除了有大卫 哈里斯之外 没有大量的证据
“They don’t have substantial evidence. All they’ve got is David Harris.”
为了给这个案子争取时间 我准备行动
I prepared a motion for a continuance to get more time to try the case…
为此 我不得不为下几周作出具体安排
and in doing that had to lay out my schedule for several weeks…
包括我在得克萨斯维多的详细时间
as to exactly what time I’d be in Vidor, Texas.
维多是3k党在德州的总部
Vidor is the headquarters of the Ku Klux Klan for the state of Texas.
黑人是不会在这个城市过夜的
It’s a city where black people will not spend the night.
黑人甚至不敢把车开到那加油
Black people won’t even stop there to get their car filled with gasoline.
维多人甚至认为
And furthermore, the people of Vidor were under the impression…
被杀的警♥察♥是个黑人
that the policeman that was murdered was a black man.
我不得不把车停在路上的汽车旅馆
I had to stop at a motel on the way.
我和我的妻子一间房♥ 那位女律师在另一个房♥间
My wife and I stayed in one room, the lady lawyer in another room.
我们计划早起去维多开始我们的调查
We arranged to get up very early, go to Vidor and start our investigation.
早上6点
At about 6:00 in the morning…
女律师伊迪丝 詹姆斯就起床了
Edith James, the lady lawyer, got up…
她在找我
and was looking for me.
当她在停车场找到我之后 走进了一个房♥间
While she went out in the parking lot to find me, she went to one room…
只听有人在停车场喊
and someone in the parking lot said:
如果你要找达拉斯来的律师
“If you’re looking for the lawyer from Dallas…
她就在***房♥间 他给了我她的房♥间号♥
“he’s in room…” And he gave her the room number.
我突然有所觉察
I immediately began to suspect
当我走进维多的时候 已经被跟踪了
from the time I was that close to Vidor, I was being followed and observed.
道格 穆德在我之前一周去过那
Doug Mulder had been there the week before I had…
并告知维多的人说我是
and had told the people in Vidor that I was…
受东方教育的民♥主♥自♥由♥律师
an Eastern-educated civil liberties attorney…
说我是来调查大卫 哈里斯的
and that I was down there to discredit David Harris.
有人就建议我见见一个特殊的警官
And then I had been recommended to see one particular policeman…
他和这个案子的破解有关联
who had been led to the solution of this case.
给我的感觉是
And I had the impression…
他是在维多唯一值得信赖的警♥察♥
that he was the one honest policeman I could trust in Vidor.
他告诉我 警♥察♥被杀之后
He told me that after the policeman was killed…
大卫 哈里斯曾回过维多
David Harris went back to Vidor.
可在他被捕之前 犯了抢劫罪
But before he was arrested, he committed a robbery down there…
在一个类似711的便利店 有人被杀
and had someone on the floor of a 7-Eleven type of store…
喉部中弹
with a shotgun at her throat.
回到维多
Got back there…
用a 22轻步♥枪♥抢了欧班农的711便利店
robbed O’Bannion’s 7-Eleven with a.22 rifle.
还犯了一些盗窃案等诸如此类的案子
Committed some other burglaries and what have you.
这段时间我还在缓刑期 少年犯缓刑期
All this time I was on probation. Juvenile probation.
最终我被缠在维多的这件事
Eventually I turned myself in for this stuff in Vidor.
我忏悔了 但我具体怎样我记不起了
I think I made a confession. I can’t even remember exactly.
我告诉他我做了
So I’m told I did.
他说他曾抢过商店 我们都笑了
He had told us he had robbed stores, and we laughed.
当然了 我们都知道
“Sure, we know you have.”
我给了他我的一顶帽子
I’d given him one of my hats.
是老式的圆沿鸭舌帽 朝向侧面
It’s an old Bonnie-and-Clyde-looking hat, it’s turned sideways.
我们说 我们给你加点胡子 带着那把枪走进来
We said, “We’ll draw you a little mustache, walk in with that gun.
没人会知道你是谁
“Nobody’ll know who you are.”
在凌晨2点 我睡觉的时候电♥话♥响了
About 2:00 that morning, I was asleep and the phone rings.
喂 是我 大卫
I said, “Hello?”
他说 我问道 是大卫 哈里斯
He said, “This is David.” “This is David Harris?”
他说 是 是我♥干♥的 你能来接我吗
“Yeah,” he said, “I did it. Will you come and get me?”
我拒绝了 回答说 我在睡觉
I said, “I’m not coming to get you. I’m asleep.”
他没有什么道德
He didn’t have a conscience.
如果我做了什么坏事 心里会惴惴不安
If I do something bad, it kind of gets to me.
我会觉得 唉 我不该这么做的 我觉得很难受
I feel, “Shucks, I shouldn’t have done that. I feel bad about it.”
对他却没什么影响
But it didn’t bother him. Didn’t bother him at all.
我们讯问了德州维多的法♥院♥…
We asked the D.A. In Vidor, Texas…
问他们对大卫会怎么处理 他们说
what they were going to do with little David. They said:
我们会送他到德州青年委员会
“We’ll send him to the Texas Youth Council.”
我们设法进一步询问
And we sort of tried to inquire…
难道他不觉得奇怪吗
didn’t he think it was strange that there was a robbery committed…
那个抢劫案用的是同一把手♥枪♥
with that same pistol.
是大卫 哈里斯的手♥枪♥
And here it was David Harris’ pistol…
大卫 哈里斯那辆接兰德尔 亚当斯的汽车
David Harris’ automobile that picked up Randall Adams.
他难道不觉得这有点怪吗
Didn’t he think it was a little odd…
这些所谓谋杀的证物
that all the utensils for committing this so-called murder…
都是被大卫 哈里斯处理过的
were furnished by David Harris who got off scot-free
他却成了起诉的目击证人
and was being a witness for the prosecution?
他是这么说的 在德州维多 我们不这么觉得
And all he said was, “We don’t feel that way in Vidor, Texas.
我们的人不是那样的
“Our people just are not that…
我们不会毁了一个年轻人的一生
“We’re not that keen on ruining a young man’s life.”
我想提出一个夸张的想法 那就是
I tried to introduce the crime spree theory.
大卫 哈里斯参与了这一连串案子
The theory that David Harris was on this series of crimes…
包括谋杀♥警♥♥察♥之前和之后的案子
both before and after the killing of the policeman.
他才是那个
That he would be the person who had…
心中满怀怨恨 极具杀人动机的人
the heart filled with malice most apt to commit a murder.
但是法官不会让我一个人引入所有案子的
But the judge would not allow me to introduce any of those crimes.
他们有一个28岁的嫌疑犯
They’d had a 28-year-old man.
除他以外的嫌疑是一个16岁的孩子
The only alternative would be prosecuting a 16-year-old…
根据德州法律他是不会被判死刑的
that could not be given the death penalty under Texas law…
而28岁就可以
where our 28-year-old man could.
凡事都有其主观动机 我是这么认为
That’s always been the predominant motive, in my opinion…
他们要判 兰德尔 亚当斯的死刑
for having a death penalty case against Randall Adams.
不是因为他们这么想治他死地
Not that they had him so dead to rights.
而是他的年龄很符合要求
But just that he was a convenient age.
法官应该说过
The judge is supposed to have said…
就是唐 梅特卡夫
That Don Metcalfe is supposed to have said…
对吉纳特 怀特 丹尼斯 怀特的妻子说
to Jeanette White, Dennis White’s wife…
管那么多干吗 他不过是个流浪汉
“What do you care? He’s only a drifter.”
我的家庭
I grew up in a family…
对于尊重法律的家教很严
where I was taught a great respect for law enforcement.
我开始真切的体会到危险
I became acutely aware of the dangers…
警♥察♥经受过 执法人员经受过
that police officers go through, law enforcement officials go through…
而人♥民♥群众却没那么敏感
that I think much of the public is not really sensitive to.
我父亲是FBI探员
My father was an FBI man.
他那个时候可算得上是FBI最糟糕的时候
Probably at the worst possible time to be in the FBI.
那是在1932年到1935的芝加哥 510
It was from 1932 to 1935 in Chicago.
迪林格被杀的那晚 他正好在一个比沃格拉夫剧院
He was at the Biograph Theater the night that Dillinger was killed.
那晚正值夏季 芝加哥没什么空调
It was a hot summer evening. Little air conditioning in Chicago…
人们都出去散步了
and people were out for a walk.
在迪林格被杀两分钟之后 爸爸就告诉我
My father would tell me that when Dillinger was killed…
仅在两分钟之内
within a matter of two minutes

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
前一篇文章海洋深处
下一篇文章造雨人
一个人,一本书,一部电影,还是一段音乐 ♪ ♩ ♫ ♬ 在世界的某个角落, 总有什么能触动你的心灵; 在世界的某个角落, 总有和你一样的人。

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!