可你能出来确认一下吗
“But would you come out and be sure to check it.
这显然不是我的 因为我不想再被停车检查了
“Be sure it’s not mine, because I don’t want to get stopped anymore.
我害怕
“I’m afraid.”
如果你是授命追查这个谋杀事件的调查员
If you’re the investigator assigned to the murder…
你会因为没有别的目击者感到沮丧
you get frustrated with other witnesses.
但是当你只有一个警♥察♥目击此案时
But when you got a police officer that witnessed it…
你希望他们知道的比她多
you expect that they would know a little more than she knew.
根据程序
Procedure.
如果两人一组执勤 当一个人靠近车辆时
When there’s a two-person unit, when either one approaches the car…
另一人就得在右轮侧守候
the other positions himself to the right rear…
那里能看清车里的一举一动
where they can watch all the activity in the car.
如果左侧的人遇到了麻烦
And if the man on the left of the driver gets in trouble…
他们的搭档就能出手相救
their partner is in a position to help.
据调查 那个时候
Speculation was, at the time…
他的搭档正等在车里
that his partner was sitting in the car.
这就是差别所在
That’s where the discrepancies were.
因为时间问题 她没有走出汽车
Just a matter of time, and whether or not she was out of the car…
完全出了车子 还是只探出了身子
completely out of the car, or partially in the car…
还是只是坐在那 连门都没出
or just sitting in there with the door closed.
我觉得对案件有帮助的事
And the thing I think we did then that really helped…
事实上都没起作用
It didn’t really help anything at all. Let me back up.
可这很有意思 而且花了好多钱
But it was interesting, and it cost a lot of money…
而且也是值得的 你不得不抓住每一个线索
but it was worthwhile. You got to cover every trail.
那个离开了加州的人
A guy out of California…
我忘了他的名字 他是催眠专家
I don’t recall his name, he was an expert in hypnosis.
他过来给她做了催眠 并问了些问题
He came down, hypnotized her and questioned her.
有趣的是
What was interesting was…
除了那辆车 她什么都不记得了
she couldn’t remember anything particularly about the car.
她记得买♥♥了杯麦芽汁
She remembered getting a malt.
他们停在了Whataburger快餐店门口
They’d stopped in the fast-food. It was a Whataburger.
他们什么都记得 包括停车
They remembered all that, and stopping the car.
回到案发地 她还是记不起什么
Got back on the road. She didn’t remember anything.
但是她记起那辆车的车牌号♥了
But she remembered a license number off a hit-and-run vehicle…
晚上他们工作开始比平时要早
that they had worked earlier in the night.
因为圣诞快到了
It was getting awfully close to Christmas.
不破这个杀♥警♥案 在达拉斯我们度日如年
We’d never gone that long in Dallas without clearing a murder of an officer.
还有别的杀人案 但都很快告破
We’d had several killed, but we’d cleared them pretty quick.
这个案件大概过了将近一个月
And this case had gone a month, or nearly a month…
我们还是没有头绪
and we still hadn’t cleared it.
但最后在德州的维多 我们了了此案
We finally got the break that cleared it. It came out of Vidor, Texas.
卡尔文 坎宁安先生的家被洗劫了
Mr. Calvin Cunningham, who lives in Vidor, had his home broken into…
他的Mercury Comet车也被偷走了
and his little Mercury Comet stolen.
我们觉得好像是大卫做的案
We felt as though David had committed that crime.
他失踪多天了 我们找不到他
For several days, though, he was missing. We couldn’t find him.
可就在一个下午 我们的一个警官盯上了坎宁安的车
It was one afternoon, one of our officers spotted Cunningham’s car…
在维多的北大街上
on North Main Street, here in Vidor.
大卫弃车而逃
David abandoned the vehicle and ran on foot.
我们开始有些线索
We started getting little bits of information, though…
因为大卫曾涉嫌枪击达拉斯警♥察♥的案子
that David had been involved in a shooting in Dallas of a police officer.
我们总能得到一些传闻
We would always get third-hand rumor, fourth-hand rumor.
我们找到他以前的同伙 打电♥话♥询问
So we went back to a few of his other comrades in crime, we could call them.
他们说 我们觉得他只是吹吹牛
They said, “We thought he was just bragging.
我们从没把他当回事
“We didn’t really take him seriously.”
坐下 看看晚间新闻 应该是午夜新闻
Sitting down, watching the evening news, well, the night news.
我爸爸在沙发上睡着了
My father was asleep on the couch.
听到有人敲门 我去开 是大卫 哈里斯
Heard somebody knocking at the door. It was David Harris.
我请他进来
I let him in. He came in.
他站在我椅子的旁边
He was standing there beside my chair…
新闻正播着那件达拉斯警官被枪杀的案件
and a news broadcast advertised about a police officer shot in Dallas.
在那个时候 他死命地发誓
Right then and there he starts swearing up and down.
他说 我向上帝发誓 我打死了那头猪
He says, “I swear to God, I shot that fucking pig.”
他说 我就是凶手
He says, “I’m the one that killed him.”
在达拉斯附近的某个地方 他们停了车子
Somewhere around Dallas, they got pulled over.
我想他说过 因为警♥察♥正在搜捕一辆被盗车辆
I think he said because they were checking out a stolen car.
他说警♥察♥曾让他把车靠边停下
He said that the cop had pulled him over…
然后走近车窗
and walked up to the window.
当警♥察♥过来的时候 他拉下车窗
When the cop came, he rolled down the window…
扣下扳机向他射击
and just pulled the gun up and shot him.
他不停地发誓
He swore up and down.
显得很夸张 上蹦下跳
He made a big scene about it. Jumped up and down…
他想让所有人都听见
trying to get anybody and everybody…
是我杀了他
to listen to him. “Yeah, I shot that son of a gun.”
每个人都说 是你做的 大卫 当然
And everybody said, “Sure you did, David. Sure.”
我向上帝发誓 我杀了那警♥察♥
“I swear to God I killed that cop.”
我问他是不是去过达拉斯 他否认
I asked him if he’d been to Dallas. He denied having been to Dallas.
我问他是否参与什么枪击事件
I asked him if he’d been involved in any shooting…
或者有什么这方面的消息 他只说不知道
or knew anything about a shooting, and he denied that to the end.
就算他真的参与了 说的也和大卫相当一致
Which is fairly consistent with David. Even if he had some involvement…
他对付你的第一选择就是死不承认
his first way that he always treats you, he would deny.
如果他觉得你确信是他做的
Then, if he felt as though you really knew he had done it…
他会全部招供
then he would be truthful with you.
他给我一把手♥枪♥ 口径22毫米
He give me a pistol, a .22 caliber pistol.
他给我看 说 我就是用这把枪做了他
He showed it to me. He says, “That’s the one I shot him with.”
他把枪给我
He gave me the pistol.
我也没有想太多
I didn’t really consider it that much.
我不太相信是他杀了警♥察♥
I don’t guess I really realized he did shoot the cop.
他带我到一片沼泽地
He led me to a swampy area…
离他在罗斯城的住所大概几百码
several hundred yards behind his residence in Rose City.
在水下找到一只袜子 就是他了 他说
There was a sock under water. He said, “There it is.”
袜子上 涂满了鞋油
And he had sprayed this sock with boot oil.
当我们取回枪的时候
When we retrieved the gun…
我说 我最好处理一下 要不就生锈了
I said, “I better do something with it. It’s going to rust up.”
即使我在达拉斯庭审看到这把枪时
Even the time that I saw the gun at the trial in Dallas…
它仍和当初从沼泽拿出来时一样好
it looked just as good as when I’d taken it out of the swamp.
他把枪藏得很好
So he had taken pretty good care of it,
就像没掉到水里一样
even though he did put it under water.
他会思考
He got to thinking…
我并没有做这件事 虽然一直说是我做的
“I didn’t do that and I’ve been saying that I did…
我知道些事 我想最好告诉他们
“and I’m in over my head now, I better tell them what happened.
因为他们会把我送进监狱的
“Because they are going to send me to the penitentiary for life…
如果我不告诉他们
“if I don’t tell them what really happened.”
他说 我就是要吹牛
So he said, “I am just bragging about this.
我没有做 但案发时我就在那 我知道谁做的
“I didn’t do it, but I was there, and I know who did do it.”
然后呢 当然 他无罪释放
And, of course, he came clean then.
他尽力不隐瞒事实
He tried to hide no facts.
就像一个乖孩子
He just seemed like a friendly kid.
我可以和他心平气和地说上15到20分钟
I may have talked to him 15 or 20 minutes on a friendly basis…
就是为了让他保持这种友好地态度
just to keep him friendly.
我们可不想让他发疯
We didn’t want to make him mad.
但我们不想听他扯淡
But we didn’t want him to tell us something that he thought.
我们想知道他所知道的
We wanted him to tell us what we knew.
不久 我们的努力有了结果
It wasn’t very long until I realized that what he knew…
案件的证据和他所说的相当吻合
was the facts of the case, and it matched with what we knew.
这肯定是真的
And it had to be right.
我讲述的整个故事是这样的
The story that I told was…
好像是第二天的上午12:00
It was like 12:00 something. So it was the next day…
我们被迫停车
early in the morning. We were stopped.
我们停下来的时候 那个警官走过来
When we were stopped, the officer came up to the car…
要求出示驾驶证 他就开枪了
and asked to see the driver’s license, and he just started shooting.
我不知道为什么 似乎时间是停滞的
I don’t know why, but it’s always seemed like time just stopped.
好像时间没走
It didn’t seem like any time passed.
就是那样 砰
It just seemed like it was, boom!
时间停了 要么就是我也不知道是什么
Time stopped or something. I don’t know what it is.
好像是手电筒
It’s like a flash.
我们回到他的家
We went back to his room.
他得问他的哥我能不能借宿一晚
He was supposed to ask his brother if I could stay there that night.
可他说不喜欢外人借宿
But he said that his brother don’t like to do that.
不管怎样 他就进去了 没再出来 我也就走了
Anyhow, he went in and never came back out. So I left.
把车子停在停车场
Ended up pulling into a parking lot.
我在车里睡着了
I slept there I think, for a while.

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
前一篇文章海洋深处
下一篇文章造雨人
一个人,一本书,一部电影,还是一段音乐 ♪ ♩ ♫ ♬ 在世界的某个角落, 总有什么能触动你的心灵; 在世界的某个角落, 总有和你一样的人。

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!