路人都用他们的手帕蘸他的血
people were dipping their handkerchiefs in the blood…
留作纪念
to get souvenirs.
他对一个妇人的印象还栩栩如生
And he vividly remembered one lady…
她只带了张报纸 举着它说
who, all she had was a newspaper, held it up and said:
我是堪萨斯唯一一个染着迪林格的血的女人
“I bet I’m the only lady from Kansas City with John Dillinger’s blood.”
他告诉我说 那个带着血的女人
He told me, the “Woman in Red”…
仿佛穿了一件橙色外套
she had on an orange dress. This is trivia, okay?
在灯光下 红色在我眼里就是橙色的
It looked red under the lights. He said it was really orange.
他因为染了迪林格的血 成为红妇人而闻名
So she got to be known as the “Lady in Red” that fingered Dillinger.
他说 她整个人都是橙色的了
He said, “It was really the Lady in Orange.”
作为奖赏 她得到了一件皮衣
As her reward, she got a new fur coat…
还有一张返她回罗马尼亚老家的单程飞机票
and a one-way ticket back to her native Romania.
他的故事晚了两个小时
His whole story from the start was two hours late.
我在上午十点的时候见到了这个孩子
I met this kid at around 10:00 in the morning.
他说我们中午见
He says we met at noon.
我说我们2点或3点在Bronco Bowl见吧
I say we were at the Bronco Bowl at 2:00 or 3:00.
而他说那是在5点或者6点
He says it was 5:00 or 6:00.
他比所有的事实都晚了两小时
Everything that we did coincide with, he was two hours late.
晚了两个小时
Two hours later. Two hours into the night.
他的证词是这样的
His testimony is that…
当我们从Inwood大街的高速路上下来
as we were getting off the freeway on Inwood Avenue…
他想开车
he stated that I’m driving the car…
我们就停在一旁
that we’re pulled over.
他害怕了 吓瘫在一旁
He gets scared and he slumps down in the seat of the car.
警官就走了过来
That, as the officer walks up…
他亮了手电 我摇下车窗
and shines his flashlight, and I roll down my window…
我拔出手♥枪♥把那警♥察♥打死了
I pull the pistol out and blow this man away.
他的证词是这样的
His testimony is…
当我开往汽车旅馆的时候
when I finally do drive to the motel…
我出来 告诉他 别担心
I get out. I tell him, “Don’t worry about it.
忘了它就行了
“Forget this ever happened.”
这太疯狂了
That’s crazy.
警♥察♥在12:30被杀害了
The police officer was killed at 12:30…
那是他见了我之后的两小时
which is about two and a half hours after he last saw me.
就在他走进汽车旅馆之前
Just before he went into the motel…
他穿过旅馆的前院
he’d gone across the motel courtyard…
那有个小商店 他买♥♥了几包烟
to a little store over there and bought some cigarettes.
我得去问问那个人是否对他有点印象
And I was supposed to go and find out if the man remembered him…
我在差不多到10点得时候去那买♥♥烟
coming in there just before 10:00 to buy the cigarettes.
我已经好久没去沃斯堡了
I didn’t get over there to Fort Worth for a long time.
我们带了几张他平时的照片 这样就看不出他被捕了
We got some pictures from his family that didn’t show him in jail clothes.
我拿照片给收银台的人看
I took the pictures in to show them to the man behind the counter.
他相当合作 想帮我们
He was very cooperative and he wanted to help us.
可他诚恳地说…
But he honestly… He said:
这个人我一点印象都没有了
“I don’t remember anything about this guy coming in there…
过了两个晚上我就记不起了
“I couldn’t tell one night from another.
要是当晚或者前晚还行
Might have been that night or another.
因为他们总是来买♥♥烟
“Cause they were always coming for cigarettes.”
他哥
His brother…
起初说谋杀发生的时候
at first…
他在家看电视
was saying that at the time of the murder, that he was home…
是摔跤比赛
watching… I believe it was a wrestling match on TV.
他说 我和弟都喜欢摔跤比赛 他和我在一块
And he said, “Me and my brother likes wrestling matches. He was with me.
我的弟兰德尔整晚都和我在一块
“Randall, my brother, was with me all night long.
不可能是他做的
“He couldn’t have done it.”
他想极力地为他兄弟掩饰
He was trying to cover for his brother.
过了会 他就改变了想法
Later, as I recall, he changed…
他说
because he said:
如果我做伪证
“If I get down there and perjure myself…
也无能为力了 他们已经掌握了案子
“there’s nothing that they can do because they’ve got the case.”
我想他就是这么想的
This is the way I think that he thought.
他们知道是我弟做的
“They know that my brother did it.
如果我在那撒谎
“If I get up there and lie, they are going to have me for perjury.
我就得和他一块坐牢 这没什么好处
“I’ll be in the penitentiary with him, and it ain’t going to do any good…
我不会去作证的 我什么都不会说
“so I just ain’t going to testify. I ain’t gonna say nothing.”
这样他就收回了他的故事
So he backed off of his story completely…
亚当斯就没有证人了
and Adams was left without any witnesses.
她在法庭的证词和她原先的文件
Her in-court testimony and her original statement…
都应该是最好的
which should be the best.
谋杀之后的15至20分钟 你们在谈话
You’re talking 15 to 20 minutes after the killing.
这是她拿到的最有利的证人了
Should be the best eyewitness testimony she’s got.
这并不吻合 一点也不
It doesn’t match. Doesn’t match at all.
在法庭上 她说:
In court, she testified…
他从车里走出来 她也从车里出来
he got out of the car, she got out of the car.
她用汽车做掩护 站好位
She positioned herself at the back of the automobile.
她原先的陈述说 在枪杀15分钟后…
Her original statement, 15 minutes after the killing…
凶手的皮毛衣领
“a fur-lined collar on the killer.”
法庭上 说 可能是蓬松的头发
In court, “It might have been bushy hair.”
那孩子作证说 我那天穿了一件休闲夹克
The kid testified that I had a Levi jacket on…
那件的衣领和我现在穿的是一样的
which is the same type collar, basically the same as this.
他说他穿了已经毛皮大衣
He testified at pretrial that he had a fur-lined parka.
她会告诉你谁杀了那人
She’s telling you who killed the man.
车里那个穿着毛皮领衣服的人
One person in the car with the fur-lined collar.
刚巧 司机的头发是很蓬松的
Very convenient that the driver happened to have bushy hair.
她要做的就是看看他们给我拍的照片
All she’s got to do is look at a picture they took of me.
但这并不是她原来的证词
But that is not her original statement.
毛皮衣领和蓬松头发之间的差别还是很大的
It’s a hell of a big difference from “fur-lined collar” to “bushy hair.”
这有些疯狂
It’s crazy.
她经历了两周的内部调查
She went through two weeks Internal Affairs…
出来时 证词变了
when she comes out, her testimony changes.
进去的时候她这样说 出来的时候变样了
She goes in saying one thing, she comes out saying another.
一定有事发生了 是什么呢
Something happened. What?
我们刷新了她的记忆
“We refreshed her memory.”
星期五下午 天气不错
Friday afternoon, I think it was Good Friday…
我们从法庭回来
we came back in the courtroom that afternoon…
我们有些高兴 因为我们觉得…
and we were sort of elated because we thought…
他会没事的
“He’s gonna walk.”
证据里实际上没什么东西
And there’s nothing really in that evidence.
只有大卫 哈里斯 没人相信他
There’s just little David Harris, and nobody believes him.
对于他 我们还是很乐观的
And so we were very optimistic about his chances…
这种乐观持续到走进法庭的时候 就消失了
until we walked into the courtroom…
那些的人都站在席前
and here were all these people standing in front of the bench.
只有三个人
Three of them, anyway.
他们在做证人前发誓
They were taking the oath to be sworn as witnesses.
米勒夫人昨天站了起来
Mrs. Miller got on the stand that last afternoon.
她说 就是那个人 我看见他了
And she said, “That’s the man, I saw that man!
我看见兰德尔 亚当斯的脸 就在…
“I saw Randall Adams’ face just right after…”
我看见那把枪从车里伸出来
She said, “I saw the gun sticking out of the car…
就是那人向枪杀了警♥察♥
“when he shot that police officer. And that’s the man.”
她用手指着兰德尔 亚当斯
And she waved her finger right toward Randall Adams.
她的出现让他无法逃脱罪孽
She’s the one that got him convicted.
当我还小的时候 我想做个侦探
When I was a kid, I used to want to be a detective
我在电视上看过所有的侦探节目
because I used to watch all the detective shows on TV.
那个时候 节目里出现最多的就是波士顿 布莱基
When I was a kid they used to show these movies with Boston Blackie…
他身旁总有女人跟着
and he always had a woman with him.
所以 我想 要是做不了侦探 就成为侦探的妻子
I wanted to be a wife of a detective or be a detective…
我看了很多侦探故事
so I always watched detective stories.
我不停地看因为我不知道会发生什么
I’m always looking because I never know what might come up.
不知道我改怎么做
Or how I could help.
我希望能在那样的处境时有所作为
I like to help in situations like that.
我真的做到了
I really do.
事情接踵而来
It’s always happening to me, everywhere I go…
很多谋杀案 当然还有别的
lots of times there’s killings or anything.
哪都可能发生 甚至发生在我家附近
Even around my house. Wherever.
我不停的观察参与
I’m always looking or getting involved,
寻找凶手与真♥相♥
to find out who did it, what’s going on.
我到处打听
I listen to people.
尽力分辩谁在撒谎
And I’m always trying to decide who’s lying, or who killed who…
在警♥察♥之前判断谁是凶手 看看我能否胜过他们
before the police do. See if I can beat them.

Yeah.

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
前一篇文章海洋深处
下一篇文章造雨人
一个人,一本书,一部电影,还是一段音乐 ♪ ♩ ♫ ♬ 在世界的某个角落, 总有什么能触动你的心灵; 在世界的某个角落, 总有和你一样的人。

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!