日月精忠
那些坏家伙都是牧师的私生子
Every second bastard born
is fathered by a priest.
在乌托邦 决不会这样
But in Utopia that couldn’t be.
为什么
For why?
在那里 牧师是非常圣洁的
那就是说 也是非常少的
For there the priests are very holy. Therefore very few.
是什么有趣的事情吗?马修?
Is it anything interesting, Matthew?
上帝保佑 先生 我不知道
上帝也保佑你 马修
Bless you, sir I don’t know. Bless you too, Matthew.
我们英格兰不也有圣洁的牧师吗?
To be sure, we have
some holy priests in England.
举几个例子啊 詹姆斯兄弟
Oh, name some. Brother James.
男人都是傻子
Man’s a simpleton.
是沃尔西红衣主教的信
It’s from Cardinal Wolsey.
他想要什么?
What’s he want?
要我去 什么时候
Me. When?
就现在
Now.
去汉普顿宫吗?午夜之前都到不了的
In Hampton Court?You won’t be there by midnight.
是国王的事 是皇后的事吧
The King’s business. Queen’s business.
是那个情妇安妮·博林的事吧
Mistress Anne Boleyn’s business.
好吧 这都是红衣主教管的事
Well, it’s all the Cardinal’s business.
是啊 每次红衣主教叫的时候 你不管白天黑夜都要赶去
That’s very trueAnd when the Cardinal calls, you all come running, day or night.
他到底是谁?不过是屠夫的儿子罢了
What is the man? A butcher’s son.
他还是英格兰的大♥法♥官
Chancellor of England, too.
那只是他的职位罢了 他本人是谁呢?
No, that’s his officeWhat’s the man?
当然了 大人 当一个人快速爬上如此的高位
Surely, Your Grace, when a man rises so high and so swiftly…
我们不得不想想他的出身是否有问题
…we must think he was misplaced in his origins.
呃 那至少是亚里士多德的观点
That, at least, was the opinion of Aristotle and…
屠夫的儿子 长的也像
A butcher’s son and looks it.
他的长相 嗯 确实有点像
His looks, yes, I give you his looks.
你刚才说什么 理查德?
What was that you said, Richard?
没什么 托马斯爵士 不太对场合
Nothing, Sir Thomas, it was out of place.
沃尔西就是个屠夫
And Wolsey’s still a butcher.
你是国王咨议会的成员 不是个跑腿的
And you’re a member of the King’s High Council, not an errand boy.
这正是我必须赶去的原因
That is why I must go.
要是红衣主教叫的话 公爵也会去
The Duke would go if the Cardinal called him.
我也许会
I might.
我会回来吃早饭
I’ll be back for breakfast.
睡觉吧
Go to bed.
亲爱的上帝 今晚请赐我们平安 要是我们醒着并兴奋着
“Dear Lord, give us rest tonight, or if we must be wakeful, cheerful.
就请照顾我们灵魂的救赎 以基♥督♥之名 阿门
“Careful only for our soul’s salvation. For Christ’s sakeAmen.”
也请赐福我们的国王
And bless our lord, the King.
也请赐福我们的国王 阿门
“And bless our lord, the King.” Amen!
对不起了 先生们 晚安 大人
Excuse me, gentlemenGoodnight, Your Grace.
不要招惹沃尔西 托马斯 他是个惊惧不安的家伙
Keep clear of Wolsey, Thomas. He’s a frightened man.
那是谁? 从剑桥来的一个朋友
Who is that? A young friend from Cambridge.
他想要什么? 还不是一官半职
What’s he want? What do they all want? A position.
你能给他一个官职吗?你推荐他吗?
Can you give him a position? Do you recommend him?

No.
托马斯爵士 不行
Sir Thomas. No.
你推荐我了吗? 没有
Did you recommend me? No.
理查德 我也许有个职位给你
Richard, I may have a position for you.
真的?什么职位? 现在不行 理查德 明天再说
What? What position?
Not now, RichardTomorrow.
给你们的 船夫
For you all, boatman.
谢谢你 先生
Thank you, sir.
托马斯爵士来了 大人 托马斯爵士
Sir Thomas is here, Your Grace. Sir Thomas.
克伦威尔大人
Master Cromwell.
你今天早上在咨议会反对我 托马斯
You opposed me in the Council
this morning, Thomas.
是的 大人
Yes, Your Grace.
你是唯一的一个 是的 大人
You were the only one.
Yes, Your Grace.
你是个笨蛋
You’re a fool.
感谢上帝 咨议会里只有一个笨蛋
Thank God there is only one fool on the Council.
为什么你要反对我?
Why did you oppose me?
我认为大人错了
I thought Your Grace was wrong.
出于良心
A matter of conscience.
你经常让我难堪 托马斯
You’re a constant regret to me, Thomas.
只要你睁开眼睛看看事实
If you could just see facts flat on…
抛弃那些无聊的道德防线
…without that horrible moral squint.
用常识想想 你就能成为一个不错的政♥治♥家
With a little common sense, you could have made a statesman.
是国王
The King.
他去哪里了?知道吗?
Where’s he been? Do you know?
问我吗 大人?
I, Your Grace?
运用你判断力吧
Spare me your discretion.
他又去鬼混了
He’s been to play in the muck again.
去那个叫安娜·博林的情妇那里
He’s been to Mistress Anne Boleyn.
莫尔 你会帮助我吗?
More, are you going to help me?
请大人说的清楚一些
If Your Grace will be specific.
你这个老实人 好吧 我们实话实说
You’re a plodder! All right, we’ll plod.
国王需要一个儿子 你会怎么办?
The King wants a son.What are you going to do about it?
我很确定 国王在这件事情上不需要我的建议
I’m very sure the King needs no advice
from me on what to do about it.
托马斯 这儿没人 相信我 这里没别人
Thomas, we’re alone. I give you my word, there’s no one here.
我没说有别人 大人
I didn’t suppose there was, Your Grace.
你想改朝换代吗?两个都铎的国王不够吗?
Do you favour a change of dynasty? Do you think two Tudors are sufficient?
看在上帝份上 大人!
For God’s sake, Your Grace!
他需要一个儿子 我再说一遍 你会怎么做?
Then he needs a son I repeat,
what are you going to do about it?
我每天为此祈祷
I pray for it daily.
上帝死了 他说真的
God’s death, he means it.
那个女人……至少她能生养啊
That thing out there, at least she’s fertile.
但她不是他的妻子 不是 凯瑟琳是他的妻子
But she’s not his wife.
No, Catherine’s his wife…
但是她跟块砖一样贫乏 你祈祷出现奇迹吗?
…and she’s barren as a brick. Are you going to pray for a miracle?
这是有过先例的
There are precedents.
好吧 好 随便你怎么祈祷
All rightGoodPray by all means.
但是祈祷之外还要有行动 我的行动就是让他们离婚
But in addition to prayer there is effort.
And my effort is to secure a divorce.
你支持我 还是不支持?
Have I your support, or have I not?
只有教皇为了国家的目的颁布特许
The Pope gave a dispensation,
so that the King might marry…
国王才能和他兄弟的遗孀结合
…his brother’s widow for state reasons.
现在我们要求教皇免除这个特许
也是出于国家的目的吗?
We are to ask the Pope to dispense with
his dispensation, also for state reasons?
我不喜欢做无用功 托马斯
I don’t like plodding, Thomas.
那很好 很清楚我们需要做的就是 接近神圣的教皇并且请求他
Then, clearly all we have to do is to approach His Holiness and ask him.
我认为我们可以影响教皇的决定
I think we might influence
the decision of His Holiness.
说服他吗?
By argument?
说服 当然了 还有压力
Argument certainlyAnd pressure.
压力 给教会?教会有自己的财产
Pressure, applied to the Church?
The Church has its church property.
压力
Pressure.
不行 大人 我不能帮你
No, Your Grace, I’m not going to help you.
那就晚安吧 莫尔大人
Then goodnight, Master More.
让这一朝到亨利八世为止吧 我们又会陷入王位战争
Let the dynasty die with Henry V I I I and we’ll have dynastic wars again.
流血吧 智慧的男爵们让这个国家翻天覆地
BloodWitted barons ramping the country from end to end.
这就是你想要的?好吧
Is that what you want? Very well.
英格兰需要继承人
England needs an heir.
使用某种手段……也许是令人遗憾的
Certain measures, perhaps regrettable…
也许不是 教会中也有很多需要改革 托马斯
…perhaps not, there’s much in the Church which needs reformation, Thomas.
好吧 是令人遗憾 但是我们必须有一个继承人
All right, regrettable.
But necessary to get us an heir.
现在 你作为英格兰议员 解释一下你怎么能阻止这些手段
Now, explain how you, as a councillor
of England, can obstruct these measures…
看在你自己的良心的份上
…for the sake of your own private conscience.
我认为 如果政♥治♥家为了公共职责的考虑
I think that when statesmen forsake their own private conscience…
而丢弃他们自己的良心
…for the sake of their public duties…
他们就会将国家引向混乱
…they lead their country by a short route to chaos.
我们应该回到我的祈祷上面
And we shall have my prayers to fall back on.
你喜欢这样 不是吗?用祈祷来统治国家?
You’d like that, wouldn’t you?
To govern the country with prayers?
对 我应该
Yes, I should.
我倒想看看你怎么做
I’d like to be there when you try.
谁会继任我这个职位?
Who will wear this after me?
谁会是我们下一任的大♥法♥官?你?费舍?萨福克?
Who’s our next chancellor?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!