That’s laboratory work. It’s not at all like your nursery work.
我简直是天资异秉无人可及
I’m probably the smartest person I know.
谢谢你 -甭客气
Thank you. -You’re very welcome.
是老许吗? 我是苏丝欧琳
Mr. Laroche? I’m Susan Orlean.
我替纽约客杂♥志♥写文章 那是一本
I’m a writer for The New Yorker. It’s a magazine that…
纽约客我还知道
I’m familiar with The New Yorker.
纽约客吗? 对呀 纽约客嘛
“The New Yorker? Yes, The New Yorker.” Right?
可不是
That’s right.
我想写一篇文章 报导你的遭遇
I’m very interested in doing a piece on your situation here, and…
是吗?是
Oh, yeah? Yeah. You wanna put this in?
你要不要写上这个?
我才不在乎他们要怎么判
I don’t care what goes on here.
我没有错 就算到最高法♥院♥也是一样
I’m right, and I’ll take it all the way to Supreme Court.
我才不管法官要怎么恶搞
Because that judge can screw herself.
这些话会照实写吗? -当然
That for real would go in? -Absolutely.
我们从29号♥公路开场
We open on State Road 29.
一辆破烂白色旅行车
A battered white van speeds along,
会开过来 向右急转…
making a sharp, skidding right
来到法喀哈契浅滩 州立保育区
into the Fakahatchee Strand State Preserve.
开车的是个没有门牙的瘦子
The driver of the van is a skinny man with no front teeth.
他就是老许
This is John Laroche.
我要休息一下
I need a break.
我喜欢西比流士小提琴协奏曲
I loved the Sibelius violin concerto.
我也喜欢 非常好听
Yeah, me too. It was great.
结尾有些诡异 但是
The end was a little weird, but…
哎呀 不是啦 那是热情
Oh, no! God, it was passionate.
一种狂喜的心情
It was exultant.
独奏部分棒极了 曲调优美精确无比
The soloist was amazing. Such beautiful tones. So precise.
天哪 简直令我疯狂
God, it blows my mind.
真希望我也能拉得那么好
I wish I could play like that.
你跟他一样好
You do.
查理我没有那么好 不过是个泛泛之辈
Oh, Charlie. I don’t. I’m mediocre at best.
至少我喜欢听你演奏
Well, I love listening to you play.
谢谢你 查理
Oh, thanks, Charlie.
到家啦
Here we are.
接下来呢?
What are you up to now, then?
我该睡了 明天早上还有很多工作
I should probably get to bed.I have a lot of work to do tomorrow.
好吧 那就再见了
Well, good night, then.
我很想晚点回去
I would stay out.
实在是我的剧本 让我伤透脑筋
It’s just that I’ve been struggling on the script right now.
我觉得好像太单薄
Been thinking about it too small,
如果只是写一个老许的故事
writing it like a story about Laroche.
我是说 好像不够充实 我是要写花卉
That’s not enough. I mean, I wanted to write about flowers.
总之 我想不出来
Anyway, I can’t figure it out,
所以我最近睡不好…
and I haven’t been sleeping well lately,
我想我应该回家…
so I thought I should get home
好好的睡一觉 这样早上才有精神
and try to get a good night’s sleep, you know. Start fresh in the morning.
不然 我可以不回去
Hm. Otherwise, I’d stay out.
我了解
I understand.
我希望你理出头绪 查理 真的
I hope you figure it out, Charlie. I really do.
谢了 总之谢谢你跟我出来
Thanks. Thanks for coming out with me and everything.
不用客气 我玩得很开心
Sure, it was fun.
下周末我要去圣巴巴拉 有一场兰花大展
So I have to go to Santa Barbara next weekend for this orchid show up there.
希望你也一起去
I thought maybe you could come.
不了 我…
No, I…
下周末可能没空
I don’t think I can make it next weekend.
应该不行
I don’t think I can.
我另外有事 抱歉
I’ve got something. Sorry.
好吧
Okay.
好吧 那就只好算了 再见了
So, well, okay, then. So good night, then.
再见 查理
Good night, Charlie.
为什么不进去? -我真窝囊
Why didn’t I go in? -I’m such a chicken.
我白♥痴♥ 我应该吻她 我搞砸了
I’m such an idiot. I should have kissed her. I’ve blown it.
赶快再去敲门 然后吻她
I should go and knock on her door right now and kiss her.
一定很罗曼蒂克 老了还可以和子孙吹嘘
It would be romantic. Something we could someday tell our kids.
我要立刻这样去做
I’m gonna do that right now.
3年前 佛罗里达
谢谢你来接我 -这辆车很破
Thanks for picking me up. -This van’s a piece of shit.
只要让我中了刮刮乐 我会买♥♥一部拉风好车
But when I hit the jackpot, I’ll buy myself an awesome car.
你开的是什么车?
Hey, what are you driving?
那是租来的
Um, it’s… Well, it’s a rental.
是一部鲁米那 -好车
It’s a Lumina. -Awesome.
我也要买♥♥一部那种车
I think I’ll get one of those too.
出发了
Here we go.
瞧瞧这些驾驶的德性 是吧
Where do these people learn to drive, huh? Ha, ha!
全世界都疯了
The world’s insane.
我对你在园艺方面…
So I was impressed to hear
的成就印象深刻
how accomplished you are in horticulture.
你必须要知道…
The thing you gotta know is,
我一生都千方百计 想要发财?
my whole life is looking for a goddamn profitable plant, see?
我看中了鬼兰
And that’s the ghost.
为什么要选鬼兰?
Why the ghost orchid?
一堆烂货 车里有怪味
Well, the sucker’s rare.
因为她很稀有
You know? Mm-hm.
我是全世界 唯一懂得培养鬼兰的人
And I’m the only one in the world who knows how to cultivate it.
重点是要请印地安人 从沼泽地区采摘
See the idea was get the Indians to pull it from the swamp.
我研究过 只要我们不碰她
I researched it. Long as I don’t touch the plant,
佛罗里达州就不能碰我们
Florida can’t touch us.
我以后不用偷摘 店里就可以现成卖♥♥花
And I stop future poaching by making the flowers readily available in stores.
我成了英雄 花也得救了…
I’m a hero, the flowers are saved,
老许和大自然都胜利了
Laroche and nature win.
美丽的幻象
棒极了
Oh. Great.
你写下来了吗?
Did you get that last part?
写下来了
Uh, yeah, I sure did.
兰花是世界上最性感的花
Orchids are the sexiest flowers on earth.
兰花的英文是从 拉丁文orchis来的
The name orchid derives from the Latin orchis, which means testicle.
嗨 查理
Hey, Charles.
我把剧本丢给妈看
I pitched my screenplay to Mom.
不要说丢给
Don’t say “pitch.” Sorry.
抱歉 总之她说…
Anyway, she said it was Silence of the Lambs meets Psycho.
那是沈默的羔羊遇上 变♥态♥杀人狂
你们俩也应该合作 听说妈的构局很神
Maybe you guys could collaborate. I hear Mom’s good with structure.
艾咪为什么都不来了?
So how come Amelia doesn’t come around anymore?
你是不是玩弄了人家?
Did you put the moves on her or something?
塞米诺 苗圃
我找老许
I’m looking for John Laroche.
我在写一篇老许的文章 想来看他
I’m writing an article on John, and I stopped by.
希望能够看到他 -约翰不在
Hoped I could see him. -John’s not here.
你跟他去过沼泽地 对不对?
Well, you were at the swamp with him, weren’t you?
我在法♥院♥见过你 我认得你
Saw you at the courthouse, that’s how I know.
我是马邱奥修拉
I’m Matthew Osceola.
苏丝欧琳 幸会
Susan Orlean. Nice to meet you.
也许我可以跟你谈
Maybe I could talk to you for a second.
我只是想找一些灵感…
I’m just trying to get a feel for the whole operation
你的头发很美
You have very beautiful hair.
谢谢你这么说
Thank you very much.
我才刚…
Thank you. I just…
今早刚洗过头
I just washed it this morning.
我用了润丝精
I just used a new conditioner.
我能感受你的哀伤
I can see your sadness.
真可爱
It’s lovely.
哎呀 我只是累了 我就是这个毛病
Well, I’m just tired, that’s all. That’s my problem.
我们可不可以谈一会…
So maybe we could chat a little bit,
让我收集一些资料
and I could get some background…
我跟你没有什么好谈
I’m not going to talk to you much.
不是对你个人
It’s not personal.
是我们印地安人的习惯
It’s the Indian way.
火箭兰
Angraecum sesquipedale.
美呆了
Beauty! God!
达尔文描写过这一种
Darwin wrote about this one.
查尔斯达尔文?
Charles Darwin?
写进化论的家伙? 记得吗?
Evolution guy? Hello?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!