在这个世界最大的摄影展上
You could see this
你可以看出来
at the World’s Largest Photo Fair.
在2014年,Impossible仍被视为
In 2014, Impossible was still regarded
一个迷人的模拟先锋
as a charming analog outpost,
他们的展台是最繁忙的
but theirs was the busiest stand.
这是年轻人去的地方
This was where young people went
而年轻人
and it was young people
同时也是公♥司♥的核心
who were at the heart of the company.
第一次去商店的时候我 23 岁
I was 23 when I went to the store for the first time.
能看到所有的墙上都有一排排旧的宝丽来相机
You had lines of old Polaroid cameras across all the walls.
它绝对有魔力
You know, it definitely had a magic to it
可能是因为这种复古魔法吧
and this kind of retro magic to it.
让我拿起了它
So I picked up an old Polaroid camera
那是我第一次体验它
and that was my first experience with it.
通常第一张照片都是用旧的宝丽来相机拍的
You know, the first shots were all on old Polaroid cameras.
实际上,到现在也只能用旧的宝丽来相机
And actually today they are still only old Polaroid cameras.
但是当你通过这种方式了解到它时
But when you kind of get introduced through it that way
它的确有这个非常复古的内核
it does have this very retro thing to it.
但是你玩的越多,用的越多
But the more you play with it and you use it,
就不再是复古方面的事了
it’s less about the retro aspect of it
而更多的是体验
and more about the experience
真的把照片拿在手里
of actually holding a photograph,
让它在你手中显影
letting it develop in your hand,
这本身就是一个模拟的过程
which is of course an analog process,
但更重要的是它的体验
but it’s more about the experience of it.
我认为博士和我都
I think both Doc and myself,
真的很喜欢这个产品
we really loved the product
我们想把它带给人们
and we wanted to bring it to people.
对我来说,这一直都是个挑战
And for me, it was always the challenge
我们如何使这项业务可持续地发展?
of how do we make this business sustainable?
我们如何给它一个未来?
How do we give this a future?
我们如何维持运转
How do we kind of pay the bills,
能发得起工资并让员工一直做下去
keep the lights on and keep everybody employed year by year?
我们的这个巨大的工厂
And we have this giant factory
要让它持续运营
and to make that sustainable,
我们需要提高胶片的产量
we needed to bring the volume of the film up.
想要做到这一点,我们需要
And to do that, we needed to bring
提升胶片的质量,同时降低价格
the quality of the film up and the prices down.
我认为这就是我和博士
And I think that’s where the biggest difference was
最大的不同之处
between myself and Doc.
他真的认为我们当时现已有的胶片
He really believed that the film we had,
那些不完美的胶片
this imperfect one,
人们会和博士自己一样
people would fall in love with it
越来越爱上它
the way he fell in love with it.
当时公♥司♥成立时,博士曾说过一句著名的话
You know, when the company started Florian famously said,
“你们在工厂里生产的任何东西,我都能卖♥♥掉”
“Anything you make in the factory, I’ll sell.”
但这不是人们想要的产品,你知道吗?
Like that’s not a product people want, you know?
人们想要即时成像模拟胶片
People want instant analog film
能够快速显影,并且效果很好
that develops quickly and looks great
这就是我们想要提供给他们的东西
and that’s what we want to give them.
♪ 没有你 ♪
♪ Without you ♪
Impossible对我来说肯定是很难放下的
Impossible to me was definitely heart over mind.
就像生活中的很多事情一样
Like with a lot of stuff that comes at you in life,
你这样做是因为感觉是对的
you do it because it feels right.
这绝对是这事的情况
And that was definitely the case here.
我觉得我有必要进一步探索
I felt the need to explore further,
以某种方式继续跟进
to connect to the project in some way,
与博士交流,看看我是否可以提供帮助
to talk to Doc and see if I could help.
我一直都知道我想对产品做点什么
I always knew that I wanted to do something with products
而在 Impossible,我也真的知道该怎么做
but at Impossible, I really figured out what that means.
这真的意味着,你知道
And it really means, you know,
把两年的生命
putting two years of your life
投入到即将推出的东西
into something that’s gonna launch,
用无数的时间打磨细节
endless hours tweaking the details
以及数百万可能出错的事情
and the millions of things that could go wrong.
这整个过程就像是模拟一样
But it’s just like with the analog process,
你投入的越多,你得到的就越多
the more you put in, the more you get out.
当我们接管工厂时
When we took over the factory, it was like,
我们就是要把宝利来停产的
let’s bring this film back,
胶片重新制♥作♥出来
Polaroid stopped making it.
而有了这相机
With the camera,
我们希望能为这些产品创造自己的未来
we want to create our own kind of future for these products.
这与早期的梦想有关
It was very much about dreaming in the early days.
它是需要梦想驱动的
And it needed to be about dreaming
驱动它一步一步成型
to get it started and off the ground.
你需要做一些愚蠢的事情来开始这件事
You needed to do stupid things like buy the factory
比如买♥♥下工厂
to start the thing.
但要真正实现盈利
But to actually bring it to profitability
并把它带给尽可能多的人
and to bring it to as many people as possible,
你实际上还需要投入更多心血
you actually need to do a lot of work.
我们一年前就开始这样做了
And honestly, you know, we started doing that a year ago
因为在这之前更像是只是在做梦
’cause before it was more about the dreaming.
博士和 The Impossible Project 俘获了很多人的心
Doc and The Impossible Project captivated a lot of hearts,
包括我自己
including mine.
我是说,用早期的TIP相纸
I mean, I suffered pack after pack
简直是一包又一包地受罪
of the early Impossible Project film
才能照出那些值得保留的几张照片
to get those few shots worth keeping.
但是像我这样的爱好者并不多
But there just weren’t enough enthusiasts like me
无法保持公♥司♥运转
to keep the business around.
虽然我们有个惊人的故事
We had this amazing story,
有个了不起的使命
we had this amazing mission,
但最终
but at the end of the day,
我们还是得投入更多
we had a lot of work ahead of ourselves
使其成为一家可持续发展的公♥司♥,否则我们也会消失
to make it a sustainable company or we’d be gone.
我们的转折点之一是
One of the turning points
2014 年左右,斯蒂芬·赫钦的加入
was bringing Stephen Herchen on board around 2014.
他现在应该是地球上
I mean he knows instant photography
最了解即时成像的人
better than anyone on the planet now I guess,
而且他在麻省理工毕业后
and actually worked directly with Edwin Land
曾经直接与兰德合作过
straight after graduating from MIT.
将产品发展到需要到预期值
And he’s been instrumental
他起到了非常重要的作用
in evolving the product to where it needs to get to.
就按那个按钮就好
Actually, just that one, that one there.
对的,谢谢
Yeah, thank you.
在公♥司♥专注更多
While the company had to focus
关于产品可行性的同时
much more on viable products,
博士也将继续探索
Doc continued on his quest,
真实性以及其他不可能的项目
authentic and possibly impossible projects,
比如工匠精神
such as craftspeople swimming
在越来越便利的潮流中逆流而上
against the tide of convenience.
我们还是得努力奋斗
We still have to really fight hard
因为每天仍然有很多
because still on a daily basis,
…事物、机器、技术在消失
…things, machines,
technologies disappear.
哦 大♥师♥!你好
Oh Grandmaster! Hello.
又到了这个时候,我们需要补给一点
It’s that time again, we need supplies.
你店里最好的肉……你有什么要给我的吗?
Your finest meat…Do you have something for me?
是的,我有东西要给你,我们进去吧?
Yes, I have something for you. Shall we go in?
我是一个真正的本地人
I’m a real local.
我在这里长大,除了肉店
I grew up here and I’ve never seen anything else,
我从来没有见过别的东西,
except the butcher shop.
前面的女士是我的妻子,艾琳……
The ladies in front are my wife, Irene…
……我的妈妈,特劳德……
…my mother, Traude…
..她很害怕在这里
..she is dreaded around here.
然后是我们的销♥售♥玛格达
Then we have Magda who is on sales.
德拉加纳负责提供午餐菜单……
There’s Dragana who is responsible for serving the lunch menu…
…我儿子负责香肠和火腿
…and my son is in charge of sausages and ham.
我每周二都来这里…
I come here every Tuesday…
…因为汉斯仍然以传统方式做事
…because Hans still does
things traditional way.
我站在这里的原因是……
The reason I’m standing here is…

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!