怎么会不肯?她在最近三年里只演了些烂戏
Why can’t we get her? She’s been in nothin’ but flops the past three years.
是啊,可她是大明星
Yeah, but she’s a major actress.
曾经是
Was.
她会很棒的,我说真的,她很棒
She’d be great. I mean, really, she’s brilliant.
她的表演很有爆发力,她很适合这角色 – 你确定?
She possess the necessary fire. For the part, she’d be great. – You really think so?
我很高兴你这么想 – 你觉得我们能得到她?
I’m glad you think so. – Think we can get her?
我给她的经纪人西德尼·路密斯发了剧本 – 你发了?
I sent the script to her agent, Sidney Loomis. – You did?
我做错了吗?我做错了吗? – 没有,没有
Did I do wrong? Did I do wrong? – No, no.
我没预先和你商量是不是欠妥? – 根本没有
Did I do wrong not checking with you first? – Not at all.
要是欠妥我就更正,我说真的 – 没,真没有
If so, I stand corrected. I mean that. – No, really.
海伦·辛克莱… – 出去吧
Helen Sinclair… really. – Get it out.
她很棒 – 好了,我们只能抱最大希望
She’s great. – Well, all we can do is hope for the best.
你绝对是开玩笑!
You must be joking!
你要让我演个被甩的邋遢的家庭主妇?
You want me to play some frumpy housewife who gets dumped for a flapper?
你忘了我是谁了?你忘了你在代理谁了?
Don’t you remember who I am? Don’t you know who you represent?
我可是海伦·辛克莱! – 当然了!你当然是海伦·辛克莱
I’m Helen Sinclair! – Definitely! You are definitely Helen Sinclair.
我看见你我就知道你是海伦·辛克莱!但还有谁比你更适合这角色呢?
I look at you and I say Helen Sinclair! But who better to play that role?
我被谁导演?一个新手! – 他是编剧
Under whose direction? Some novice! – He’s the author.
两部烂戏的编剧 – 朱利安说那是因为导演乱改剧本
Of two flops. – Julian says it was the directors that messed up those projects.
朱利安·马克斯!我只演贝拉斯科,或是萨姆·哈里斯制♥作♥的话剧
Julian Marx! I do plays put on by Belasco or Sam Harris.
而不是这种,半路出家的出品人的戏
Not some Yiddish pants salesman turned producer.
我前夫以前经常说“就算走下坡路,也要跟顶级人物一起走”
My ex-husband used to say, “lf you’re gonna go down, go down with the best of them.”
哪个前夫? – 哦,我也记不得了,那个留胡子的
Which ex-husband? – Oh, I don’t know which ex-husband. The one with the moustache.
听我说,一般来说,作家最适合导演自己的作品
Listen to me. Authors are very often the best directors of their own works.
她很邋遢!西德,好台词都在另一个角色那边
She’s dowdy! Sid, the ingenue has all the hot lines.
就连心理医生那角色也比我的好
Even the female psychiatrist is a better role.
但是西尔维娅·波丝顿才是主角
But the role of Sylvia Poston is the lead.
西尔维娅·波丝顿:百老汇出品人
西尔维娅·波丝顿,连这名字都泛着奥尔巴♥赫♥的臭味!
Sylvia Poston. Even the name reeks of Orbach’s!
我演的是伊莱克特拉!麦克白夫人这样的角色!
I do Electra! I do Lady Macbeth!
我演的都是诺尔·巴里和菲尔·巴里的剧作,至少也是马克斯威尔·安德森的
I do plays by Noel and Phil Barry or at least Max Anderson.
海伦,听我说,这是个严肃剧作的主角
Helen, listen to me. This is a major part in a serious play.
面对现实吧,海伦,你有段时间没演过好作品了
And let’s face it, Helen. You have not been in a hit in a long time.
很久很久的一段时间 – 可我还是明星!
In a long, long, long time. – I’m still a star!
我从来不演邋遢女人或处♥女♥
I never play frumps or virgins.
你是明星因为你很棒,而且你是很棒的明星
You’re a star because you’re great, and you are a great star.
但让我告诉你
But let me tell you somethin’.
在最近这几年里…
In the last couple of years…
你名声在外更多是荡♥妇♥和酒鬼…我这话丝毫没有不敬的意思
you’re better known as an adulteress and a drunk…I say this in all due respect.
我自从新年前夜后就没沾过一滴酒
I haven’t had a drink since New Year’s Eve.
你是说农历除夕吧 – 那当然
We’re talkin’ Chinese New Year’s. – Naturally.
也是两天啊,西德,你知道这对我来说有多漫长吗?
Still, that’s two days, Sid. You know how long that is for me?
那是什么,乔赛特? – 一些花
What is it, Josette? – Some flowers.
哦,你能帮我拿过来吗?
Well, bring them here, will you?
演戏的邀请已经不像以前那么多了
The offers are not pourin’ in like they used to.
是戴维·谢恩送来的
They’re from David Shayne.
“作为一个还在慢慢起步的艺术家,只要您能稍稍考虑一下我的剧本…”
“As a small artist to a greater one. That you merely consider my play…
“就足以让我深深满足”
is all the fulfillment I require.”

Hmm.
他是怎样一个人? – 我听说他很棒,一个蓄势待发的天才
What’s he like? – I hear he’s terrific. A genius ready to emerge.
我的名字要写在剧名的上方 – 还能在哪呢?
I have to be billed over the title. – Where else?
男主角要经我认可,单独的更衣室 – 一点都没问题
Approval of the leading man. The star’s dressing room. – This is not even a question.
对我所有照片的认可权利
Approval of all photos of me.
唉,这毕竟不算很吸引人的角色
Oh, it’s still not a very glamorous role.
不过我可能会跟戴维见见,我们也许会探讨剧本
But maybe I could meet with David. Maybe we could go over the script.
说不定我们能找些办法,把这个角色改得更醒目,嗯?
Maybe there’s a few ways we could find to brighten her up. Hmm?
我♥干♥嘛要紧张?
Why am I nervous?
克拉拉·鲍是主演
这片子真悲伤,克拉拉·鲍受了不少罪 – 她真太漂亮了
– That was sad. Clara Bow had it rough. – She’s a doll.
为了演电影我愿意付出任何代价 – 你已经够漂亮了
I’d do anything to be in a movie. – You’re pretty enough.
你觉得你能跟华伦蒂先生说一说吗?
Do you think you could ever speak to Mr. Valenti?
华伦蒂先生人脉很广,他能办到的 – 是啊
Mr. Valenti knows everybody. He’ll do the right thing. – That’s right.
我听说他要把奥利芙·尼尔,捧成一个百老汇明星
I hear he’s gonna make Olive Neal a Broadway star.
走了,走了!快走
Go, go, go!
在哪出的事?
Where’d it happen?
他们杀了谁?哦,天!
Who’d they get? Oh, Jesus!
好吧,我要在奥利芙这儿待上大概一小时
All right, I’m gonna be at Olive’s for about an hour.
你在下面再叫些人,然后跟那个叫马素奇的联♥系♥
You get some more guys downstairs and call me back on the Masucci thing.
库斯塔贝克活到头了,听见没? – 嘿!
This is for Leo Kustabeck, you hear me? – Hey!
你跟我说她是主角,可她是配角 – 好了,好了
You said this was the lead. It’s a smaller part. – All right.
我现在没时间了 – 这是个配角,真是难以置信
I got no time now. – It’s a smaller part. I don’t believe it.
他们刚在电影院外面杀了维尼和萨尔 – 我数了数台词
They just got Vinny and Sal outside a movie house. – I counted the lines.
西尔维娅·博丝顿是主角,我只是她的配角 – 你听见我刚才说什么没?
Sylvia Poston is the lead. I’m just backing her up. – You hear what I said?
我受够了替人当绿叶,我想当主角 – 朱利安说了你演那医生
I’m tired of backing people up. I wanna be the lead. – Julian says you’re a doctor.
医生,我不想演医生,我想演那主角 – 是主医生,那是个主要角色
A doctor. I don’t wanna be a doctor. I wanna be the lead. – A head doctor. It’s a big part.
是主医生,但她不是主角
A head doctor, but it ain’t the lead.
你别想哄骗我 – 这已经够不错了
So don’t try and snow me. – You’d squawk if they hung you with a new rope.
我看到主角我就知道她是主角,而我告诉你,这个不是主角
I know a lead when I see a lead, and this ain’t the lead.
主角在每一页上都出现,主角有很多戏份 – 喂?哦,维托
A lead is on every single page. A lead has lots of scenes. – Hello? Oh, Vito.
你听说了?让所有人都在车♥库♥集♥合♥ – 我都没有吻戏
Ya heard? Get everybody together at the garage. – I don’t get to kiss nobody.
不,我要今天就办妥!你怎么回事? – 嘿!
No, I want it done today! What is it with you? – Hey!
你现在能不能别谈生意了?来客人了! – 待会打回来
You wanna take your business outta here? We got guests! – Call me back.
我现在有麻烦 – 我才不摆你的麻烦
I got trouble here. – I don’t care about your trouble.
那我该干什么,守在周围给你买♥♥单? – 我没意见
What am I supposed to do? Just foot the bills around here? – I don’t care.
还有我也要和那个百老汇大人物说几句 – 好,只要别给我丢人就行
And I want my say with this Broadway big shot too. – Okay, just don’t embarrass me.
我一直是在为你着想,不是吗? – 奥利芙小姐?
I’m lookin’ out for your interests, okay? – Miss Olive?
这有一位马克斯先生和… – 我知道,我知道,让他们进来,维纳斯
There’s a Mr. Marx and… – I know, I know. Send ’em in, Venus.
听着,当他们进来时… – 怎么?
Listen. When they get here… – What?
给他们施展点魅力,宝贝 – 你才是缺魅力的人
charm ’em a little, baby. – You’re the one that needs charm lessons.
我跟他们说你是个出色的演员 – 我本来就是出色演员
I told them you’re a great actress. – I am a great actress.
尼克·华伦蒂!这就是戴维·谢恩
Nick Valenti! Say hello to David Shayne.
戴维,你怎么样? – 你好,我是奥利芙
David, how are you? – Hello. I’m Olive.
这就是奥利芙·尼尔 – 魅力,魅力,魅力
This is Olive Neal. – Charmed, charmed, charmed.
进来吧,进来 – 进来
Come on in. Come on. – Come on in.
戴维,她读了剧本,觉得很棒 – 是啊,我读了剧本
Hey, Dave, she read your play. She thinks it’s great. – Yes, I read your play.
它很惊悚,很暴烈,让人手不释卷
It’s thrilling, turbulent, a page turner.
很有魅力,很有魅力,很有魅力,很有魅力
Charmed, charmed, charmed, charmed.
她是个很出色的演员,只是需要一个契机
She’s a great little actress. Just needs a break.
你之前做什么的,呃… – 奥利芙,奥利芙,奥利芙
What have you been in, Miss, uh… – Olive. Olive. Olive.
叫我奥利芙吧,亲爱的 – 你吸烟吗? – 不吸
Call me Olive, honey. – You smoke? – No.
奥利芙,呃,你,呃,你有没有经验? – 我爱这剧本
Olive, ah, your… well, your experience? – I love the play.
这个,我,呃… – 哦,她没经验
Well, l, uh… – Oh, she ain’t got no experience.
我有的,我有的 – 她是本色型演员
I do too. I have too. – She’s a natural.
我有经验 – 他们说的可不是跳舞,奥利芙
I have experience. – They ain’t talkin’ dancin’, Olive.
他不知道自己在说什么 – 你们说的不是跳舞,对吧?
He doesn’t know what he’s talkin’ about. – You don’t mean dancin’, do you?
霍伯肯:位于新泽西
她以前在霍伯肯那边跳舞,能在舞厅挣到不少…
She used to wiggle at this joint in Hoboken. Pick up quarters off the tabletops with her…
嘿!闭嘴好吗!他们在和我说话! – 我在试着活跃气氛
Hey! Butt out, why don’t ya! They’re talkin’ to me! – I’m tryin’ to break the ice.
谁要喝饮料? – 我要双份的随便什么,很不错
Who wants a drink? – I’ll have a double anything. Be great.
不了,我有溃疡 – 维纳斯,一杯双份的威士忌
No, I have an ulcer. – Venus, a double whiskey.
两杯吧,维纳斯 – 你要绿的还是蓝的?
Make it two, Venus. – Do you want the blue stuff or the green?
进口的那种,白♥痴♥ – 哦,你是说在浴缸上放的那种
The imported, dummy. – Oh, you mean from the clean bathtub.
嗯哼
Mm-hmm.
那就是说你以前从没演过戏? – 亲爱的,我演过的
So you never acted before? – Honey, honey. Yes, I have acted.
我演过戏,我演过很多戏,我演过歌♥舞剧,你能帮我点个火吗?
I have acted. I’ve acted a lot. I was in a musical revue. Can you light this for me?
天啊,他真没礼貌,不绅士
Geez. No manners. No gentleman.
维奇塔:位于堪萨斯
嗯,我在维奇塔,那儿演过个音乐剧
Yeah, I did a musical revue in Wichita.
你可能听说过,它叫《留份样品》,我唱了两首歌♥
Maybe you heard of it. It was called Leave A Specimen. I had two songs.
两首歌♥,两首让人神魂颠倒,光彩夺目的歌♥
Two numbers. Two thrilling, show-stopping numbers.
我有点不舒服,真的
I’m actually feeling a little sick, really.
我真的有点晕,我能坐下吗?
I’m actually feeling a little faint. Can we sit down?
哦,我一直在想一件事,就是谁来演西尔维娅·博丝顿这角色?
So, one thing I was wonderin’ is who’s gonna be playing the part of Sylvia Poston?
非海伦·辛克莱莫属
Only Helen Sinclair.
海伦·辛克莱?哈,从没听说过
Helen Sinclair? I never heard of her.
呃,你经常看话剧吗? – 你到底想暗示什么?
Uh, you follow the theater? – What are you trying to insinuate?
嘿,别跟我扯这些废话!
Hey, don’t gimme that shit!
你告诉马素奇他要是耍心眼,我就过去把他的鸟腿剁掉!
You tell Masucci he don’t play ball, I’ll come down there, I’ll chop his fuckin’ legs off!
你们别管尼克,他现在正处于抑郁状态
Don’t you pay any attention to Nick. He’s in one of his depressed moods.
我会割断他的喉咙,我就过去,把他肠子从气管里揪出来!
I’ll cut his throat. I’ll come down there, I’ll pull his guts out through his windpipe!
你听见了吗? – 你刚才干嘛了?走累了?
Ya hear me? – What’d ya do? Walk up?
不行! – 你出汗出的就像头猪一样
No! – You’re sweating like a pig.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!