我有点血糖问题,它看来复发了 – 血糖?
I have a bit of a blood sugar situation now and again. – Blood sugar?
那是什么? – 奥利芙,你…你喜欢这剧本?
What is that? – Olive, you…you like the play?
嗯,它很悲伤 – 是啊,这是悲剧
Mmm. It’s sad. – Well, it’s a tragedy.
确实是,不过我有些点子能让它活泼起来
I’ll say, but I got some ideas how we can goose it up.
点子? – 嗯哼,我经常去看电影
Ideas? – Mm-hmm. I go to the movies all the time.
我有很多妙点子 – 你把它烧了!奇契!烧掉它,我说的
I got a million clever ideas. – You burn it down, Cheech! Burn it down, I said.
我要它看上去像是纵火 – 我痉挛了?
I want it to look like arson! – I got a crick.
什么时候? – 痉挛?
When? – A crick?
全身都很紧张,我觉得我们该走了
Everything’s tight. I think maybe we should go.
哦,别,别,别走
Oh, no, no, no. Don’t go.
嘿,维纳斯,快点上酒!
Hey, Venus, let’s go with that hooch!
呃,呃,奥利芙,你什么时候开始对表演感兴趣的?
Uh, uh, Olive, when did you get interested in acting?
嘿,听着,你们以为我来这城市,是为了在合唱队里面扭来扭去?
Hey, listen, you think I came to this town to swing it around in a chorus line?
奶♥子♥和屁♥股♥,奶♥子♥和屁♥股♥,他们就懂这些,谢谢你
Tits and ass. Tits and ass. That’s all they care about. Thank you.
嘿,我不是跟你说了,我要的是“马丛”吗?
Hey, didn’t I tell you to make “horse durves”?
我不会配什么马酒,更不会配“马丛”酒
I don’t make nothin’ out of horses, especially “horse durves…”
因为我不知道那是什么玩意,你自己更不知道!
’cause I don’t know what they are, and neither do you!
噢,你可真能言善辩
Oh, ain’t you the big mouth since you hit your number.
还有我跟你说了要进口货 – 进口货见底了,没了!
And I said the imported stuff. – The imported stuff ate through the bottle. It’s gone !
说得像真的一样,这年头好佣人真是难找
A likely story. It’s very hard to get good help these days.
不好意思让你们听我的抱怨 – 我觉得很头晕
Sorry you guys had to hear that. – I’m feeling fairly dizzy.
公♥司♥那儿出了点问题 – 是吗?它是怎么样的公♥司♥,尼克?
Some problems with the firm. – Really? What type of firm is it, Nick?
它是个“不要多管别人闲事”…
It’s a “don’t stick your nose in other people’s business…
“不然你会有麻烦”风格的公♥司♥ – 哦
and it won’t get broken type of firm. – Yeah.
就是这种公♥司♥ – 我懂了,我懂了,谢谢你
I see, I see. Thank you. – That’s what kind of firm.
我站得有点不稳,我可能要去…
I’m feeling a bit unstable. I think maybe I’ll go…
一家疗养院寻求救治
and check into a sanitarium and get the help that I need.
那我们以后再谈吧,因为情况不错,对吧朱利安? – 嗯
And we’ll talk later because it’s been good. Hasn’t it, Julian? – Yeah.
嗯,对 – 这事可行
Oh, yeah. – It’s been good.
这将会成为百老汇的大场面 – 谢谢
This is gonna be a big event on Broadway. – Thank you.
绝对不行!不行!
Absolutely not! No!
你会跟她合作,慢慢塑造她,这是个挑战 – 免谈!
You’ll work with her, mold her. It’ll be a challenge. – Out of the question!
她会赢得奖项,这会成为娱乐圈传奇的
She’ll win an award. It’ll be a great show business anecdote.
没希望的! – 这会是对你导演才华的证明,你塑造演员就像玩粘土一样简单
It will not happen! – A tribute to you as a director. You use your actors like clay.
朱利安,你真的完全昏头昏脑了?
Julian, have you lost all reason?
你相信那女的能演心理医生?那女的?那东西?
Do you believe that that woman could play a psychiatrist? That woman? That thing?
她的声音,她的形象? – 好了
Her voice, her grasp. – All right.
她是在舞厅卖♥♥唱的… – 让我跟你直说吧
She’s the woman who picks quarters off tabletops with… – Let me level with you.
这是个狗咬狗的世界,不是个理想世界
This is a dog-eat-dog world, not an ideal world.
你要想让你的剧上演,就得做些让步
If you wanna get your play on, you’re gonna have to make a few concessions.
人生不是完美的,而且它还很短
Life is not perfect. Plus, it is short.
要是你还想不明白,那你现在就卷铺盖回匹兹堡吧
If you can’t figure that out, you might as well pack up right now and go back to Pittsburgh.
我把自己出♥卖♥♥♥了!我把自己出♥卖♥♥♥了!
I sold out! I sold out.
我把自己出♥卖♥♥♥了 – 戴维
I sold out. – David.
怎么了?
What’s wrong?
我是娼妓! – 哦,天哪!
I’m a whore! – Oh, my God!
我是婊♥子♥!我是娼妓! – 戴维,振作起来吧
I’m a prostitute! I’m a whore! – David, pull yourself together.
他们会报♥警♥的
They’ll call the police.
戴维,天哪,你脸色糟透了
David. Oh, my God! You look horrible.
哦,我想吐
Oh, I feel sick.
别这样了你会把邻居吵醒的,你要阿司匹林吗?
Please, you’ll wake the Finkelsteins. You want an aspirin?
戴维 – 上帝啊!我的艺术啊!我的作品啊!
David. David. – Oh, my God! My art! My work!
你到底怎么了? – 我就这么想成功吗?
What’s wrong with you? – Do I want success that badly?
戴维,回床上来吧 – 答案是肯定的,答案是肯定的
David. Come back to bed. – The answer’s yes. The answer’s yes.
求你了上♥床♥吧 – 当一个黑帮要给我剧本投资时,我同意了
Please come back to bed. – When offered to have my play backed by a hoodlum, I said yes.
快点上♥床♥吧 – 这是与魔鬼的交易,而刑罚是…
Please come back to bed. – It’s a deal with the devil, and the penalty is…
他的女友要在里面出演 – 都凌晨三点了你要打给谁啊?
his girlfriend plays a part. – Who are you calling at 3:00 a.m.?
喂,朱利安?我是戴维,你觉得男主角该让谁演?
Hello, Julian? It’s David. Who do you see in the male lead?
哦,小子
Oh, kid.
这都凌晨三点了
It’s 3:00 a.m.
我觉得是华纳·普赛尔 – 不行,他太胖了
I see Warner Purcell. – Nah, too fat.
你最近见到他了?不,这人得了暴食强迫症
You seen him lately? Nah, the man’s a compulsive eater.
没关系,我和他经纪人通了话…
Doesn’t matter. I talked to his agent…
他减肥四个月了,他看起来不错
and he’s been on a new diet for four months. He looks fine.
我想让他来演马斯特上尉,那样的话我可能还能忍♥受这些…
I want him for Lieutenant Masters. Then maybe I can live with all this.
忍♥受这些妥协!
I can live with these compromises.
我要华纳·普赛尔和海伦·辛克莱,这样我才能忍♥受那个大佬的情妇!
I’ll have Warner Purcell and Helen Sinclair, and then I can live with that gun moll!
不行,华纳不行,小子,不行
No, not Warner, kid. No.
我在以前在话剧里用过他
I had him in Nuns Aplenty.
他会旧病复发的,他会变得没有安全感;他会接着暴食
He’ll turn over a new leaf. Then he’ll get insecure; he’ll start eating.
等我们到了波士顿时,他就像我嫂子的屁♥股♥一样肥了
By the time we get to Boston, he’ll be as big as my sister-in-law’s ass.
不行!我不要再妥协了!这是我的话剧,我就要他!
No! No more compromises! It is my play, and I want him!
我要他,我要他,就这么定了,我不是婊♥子♥!
I want him, and I want him, and that’s it. I’m not a whore!
戴维,戴维,戴维! – 我没事
David, David, David! – I’m all right.
下星期奥利芙要为一出戏彩排
Olive starts rehearsal for a show next week.
我要你跟她去 – 好啊
I want you to stay with her. – Yeah.
我要你确定他们好好对待她
I want you to make sure they treat her right up there.
那些戏子,我不信任他们
Those theater characters I don’t trust ’em.
这出戏花我不少钱了,我要确定它物有所值
The show’s costing me a bundle, and I’m gonna get my money’s worth.
她想要成为明星 – 是啊,是啊
She wants to be a star. – Yeah. Yeah.
而我向她作了承诺 – 华先生,你看,并不是我不想跟着她
And I promised her. – Mr. V., look, it’s not that I don’t wanna do it…
奇契,我在给你下命令,你这是干什么?
Cheech, I’m giving you an order. What do you do?
好吧
I know.
九月十号♥,周一
Monday, September 10.
今天排练开始了,而我决定每天写日记
Today rehearsals began, and I’ve decided to keep a journal.
也许我的经验会造福他人…
Perhaps my experience will be of value to others…
就像两位导师…契科夫与斯特林堡,给我带来启迪一样
just as I pore over with relish the notes of my idols: Chekov and Strindberg.
排练在早上十点钟开始
Rehearsals began promptly at 10:00 a.m.
华纳·普赛尔带着他的温和气质,与得体幽默率先来到
Warner Purcell was first to arrive full of bonhomie and good humor.
早安! – 华纳·普赛尔,你好我是戴维·谢恩
Good morning! – Warner Purcell. Hello, I’m David Shayne.
哦,戴维,见到你真是棒极了,好剧本 – 谢谢
Oh, David, how marvelous to meet you. Well done. – Thank you.
是个绝妙的剧本,很多迷人的对白 – 你能参演真让我荣幸
It’s a wonderful play. Some lovely speeches. – I’m honored you’re doing it.
这是我的荣幸 – 我们的剧务,米契
It’s my pleasure. – Our stage manager, Mitch.
米契,你好 – 米契·萨宾,随时效劳
Mitchell Sabine. I’m here if you need anything. – Mitchell, nice to meet you.
好的 – 您的更衣室是二号♥间
That’s fine. – And you’re gonna be in dressing room two.
很好 – 这是我助手罗娜
Lovely. – And this is my assistant, Lorna.
见到你很荣幸 – 罗娜,你好
Pleased to meet you. – Lorna, nice to meet you.
我们有咖啡和丹麦饼干,还有些熏鲑鱼
We have coffee and Danish, some smoked salmon.
呃,米契,如果我只要点热水和柠檬,会不会很让人讨厌?
Um, Mitchell, would it be frightfully tiresome if I just had hot water and lemon?
根本不会 – 谢谢你
Not at all. – Thank you.
还有你当然认得朱利安·马克斯了 – 哦,朱利安,是啊
And of course you know Julian Marx. – Oh, Julian, yes.
我们以前合作过 – 华纳,你看起来很棒
Our swords have crossed. – Warner, you look wonderful.
你也是
And yourself.
扮演第三者的伊甸·布伦特,第二个到场
Eden Brent, who plays the other woman, arrived second.
她非常有活力
She has a wonderful vivacity.
早安!早安!不要起身,不要起身
Good morning! Good morning! Don’t get up. Don’t get up.
我给大家每个人都带了首日礼 – 太贴心了
I have first-day-rehearsal presents for everybody. – How thoughtful.
这没什么,就是些肥皂啊香料啊,大概还带给你些怒气,我猜
It’s nothing. Just some soap and some potpourri and incense for you, I think.
呃,你们都见过伍夫斯先生吗? – 没有,没有
Now, have you met Mr. Woofles? – No. No.
哦,别摆出这副臭脸 – 你好,伍夫斯先生
Oh, don’t pull such a sour face. – Hello, Mr. Woofles.
哦,小心点,它是条吉娃娃…
Oh, be careful. She’s a Chihuahua…
但它有点杜宾犬的血统,所以有时候它会上去咬人喉咙
but there’s a pinch of Doberman in her so sometimes she goes for your throat.
开玩笑而已
Just kidding.
我觉得这儿的人你都认识了,罗娜 – 我们通过话
I think you’ve met everyone here. Lorna. – We talked on the telephone.
我不知道你有没有见过我们的马斯特上尉…华纳·普赛尔
I don’t know if you’ve met our Lieutenant Masters, Warner Purcell.
呃,很高兴见到你 – 你的关节怎么样了?
Oh, pleased to meet you. – How was your crossing?
呃,五年前就好了,谢谢关心
Well, I came over five years ago, but it was lovely.
亲爱的,你要不要喝点牛奶,吃点东西?
Now, my darling, do you want some milk or something to eat?
我给她拿个碟子来 – 你不用费心去拿了,因为我直接喂它奶喝
I’ll get her a saucer. – You don’t have to bother with that because I breast-feed her.
只是开玩笑,大家伙
Just kidding, everybody.
这边请 – 朱利安,幸会
Please. – Julian, nice to see you.
你怎么样? – 马克斯先生 – 哦,当然了
How are you? – Mr. Marx. – Yes, of course.
我坐中间,对吧?
I’m in the middle, yes?
我们是不是该把狗拿出… – 不行,不行,不行,不行
Should we take the dog… – No, no, no, no, no.
它是我的乖宝宝
It’s my baby.
奥利芙·尼尔进场了,不用说,她的气场像飓风一样强大
Olive Neal entered, naturally, with the force of a hurricane.
嘿,你要像秃鹰一样在我身边跟着? – 华先生让我跟紧你
Hey, you gonna hover over me like dead meat? – Mr. V. says I stay close.
我们在车上兜了一刻钟圈子
We’ve been drivin’ around for 15 minutes.
我跟你说了是在贝拉斯科剧场,不是莫拉斯科剧场,你这白♥痴♥!
I told ya he said the Belasco, not the Morosco, you cementhead!
你好,奥利芙 – 你好
Hello, Olive. – Hello.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!