You see through me, don’t you? – Me?
你很聪明
You’re clever.
你很有才华
You’re brilliant.
对女人有着多么出色的洞察力
What insight into women.
不要否认
Don’t deny it.
我不觉得她必须很冷淡
I don’t see why she has to be frigid.
嘿,怎么样,宝贝?彩排怎么样?
Hey, how ya doin’, doll? How’d it go?
恶,他们都自命不凡
Ah, they’re all so stuck up.
是吗?有人烦你了? – 没
Yeah? Anybody botherin’ her? – No.
他们要我记住所有台词
They expect me to memorize all these lines.
对啊,那不就是你想要的吗?当演员? – 我知道,我知道,我知道
Well, that’s what you wanted, isn’t it? To be an actress? – I know, I know, I know.
我头痛 – 吃完饭以后奇契会帮你练台词
I got a headache. – Cheech’ll help you practice after we eat.
我? – 她有东西要记,好吧?
Me? – The girl’s got stuff to memorize, all right?
是啊,但,尼克… – 赶快去洗个澡,甜心,快去
Yeah, but, Nick… – Go sit in the tub, honey. Go ahead.
我带你去德尔莫尼科餐馆吃饭,你要吃牛腰还是龙虾?
I’m takin’ you out to Delmonico’s. You want sirloin or a lobster?
都要 – 听我说,尼克,我记性不算好,而且我跟人约了…
One of each. – Listen, Nick, I’m not too good at this memorizing, and I got a date…
行了,行了,别说了,我有个小差事要派给你
All right, all right, knock it off. I got a little errand for you to run.
什么差事? – 给查理·马素奇送个信,我们没那么多时间了
What kind of errand? – A message for Charlie Masucci, and we ain’t got a lot of time.
♪ Up a lazy river where the old mill run ♪
♪ Meets lazy, lazy river in the noonday sun ♪
♪ Linger in the shade of a kind old tree ♪
♪ Throw away your troubles Dream a dream…♪
♪ Up a lazy river where the robin’s song ♪
♪ Awakes a bright new morning…♪
你看不出吗…
Can’t you see…
你生活方式和…
you’re living out the exact same pattern…
你父母在一起时的,方式一模一样?
your mother lived out with your father?
有吗?该你了
I am? Pray tell.
某种程度上说,你在试着重走母亲的旧路
In some way, you’re trying to relive it,
从而在这过程中纠正错误
and in the process of reliving it, correct it.
就像这还有可能一样,哈!
As if that were possible. Ha!
这上面没“哈” – 我知道上面没“哈”,我自♥由♥发挥的
It don’t say “Ha.” – I know it don’t say “Ha.” I added that.
什么叫自♥由♥发挥的?你有权这么做吗? – 我们可以自己补充台词
What do ya mean you added that? Are you allowed to do that? – We’re allowed to add things.
你们怎么能随便加台词?你们不能这么做 – 能的!
How could you add something? You can’t do that. – You’re allowed!
这叫做即兴表演 – 你不能这么做!
It’s called ad-libbing. – You can’t do that!
我能这么做,你懂什么?你什么都不懂,闭嘴,接着读
I can do that. What do you know? You don’t know nothin’. Shut up and read.
我觉得这剧本太恶心了 – 我觉得你是弱智,闭嘴,接着读!
I think the whole thing stinks. – I think you’re a degenerate zombie. Shut up and read!
你闭嘴,接着读 – 你给我闭嘴!闭嘴!
You better shut up! Just shut up! – You shut up and read.
你闭嘴! – 也就看在你是尼克女人的份上
You shut up! – You’re lucky you’re Nick’s girl.
也就看在你是白♥痴♥的份上
You’re lucky you’re an idiot.
究竟是什么?让你对这理论改造的如此浅薄?
What endeavors you… to concoct a theory so tenuous?
哼哼
Mmm-mmm-mm.
我真同情那些,花钱看这戏的倒霉蛋
I sure pities the poor folks who gonna have to pay to see this play.
你想什么呢? – 哦,只是在想尤金·奥尼尔,和马克斯威尔·安德森
What ya thinking? – Oh, just about Eugene O’Neill and Max Anderson, you know.
嗯,你已经重写剧本一整夜了,这才是排练第一天
Yeah. You’ve been rewriting all night and it’s only just the first day.
这是坏兆头吗? – 不是,我只是觉得可能…
Is that a bad sign? – No. I just think that I might have made…
我把西尔维娅·博丝顿这角色,写得太冷漠了
the character of Sylvia Poston a bit too antiseptic.
她应该有性生活的 – 不对
She’s gotta have a sexual side to her. – No.
我觉得她是你很久以来,写的最好的女性角色 – 谁说的?
I think she’s the best female character you’ve written in a long time. – Says who?
戴维,你知道,你对女人内心的洞察力向来不强
David, you know you always have problems getting into the female mind.
我知道你这么想 – 你自己也这么说过,我们讨论过这话题
I know that you think that. – You’ve said so yourself before. We’ve had this discussion.
你所有朋友都是男人,你…你一直对描写女人不在行
All your friends are men. You…You’ve always had problems writing for women.
再看看你和你母亲,祖母的关系…
Witness your relationship with your mother, your grandmother…
你的姑姑,姐妹… – 我大概会把这些写进剧本
your two aunts, your sister… – I think I try to factor that into my work.
但说真的…
But to be honest with you…
现在我根本不觉得你真理解我的作品
at this moment, I don’t think you really understand my work at all.
哦!别为自己辩解了 – 我没辩解
Oh! Don’t be so defensive. – I’m not being defensive.
可能我的看法对你来说不够专业,可能它们就是不够…
Perhaps my opinions just aren’t intellectual enough for you. Maybe they’re just not…
根本不是那么回事,当你有好看法时,我倾听,我一直有回应
That’s a horrible thing to say. When you have a good idea, I listen to it. I’m responsive.
但在这件事上,我觉得你错了,就是这样 – 我的意见什么时候对过
In this case, I think you’re wrong. That’s about it. – When am I right?
你其他事说的都对,但在西尔维娅和她性生活这方面你错了
You’re right about other things, but not about Sylvia Poston and her sexuality.
九月十七号♥,第一周的工作已经过去
September 17. The first week is behind me now…
除了几个小插曲外,一切看起来都顺利
and apart from a few minor incidents, things seemed to go okay.
插曲有海伦和伊甸的摩擦
There was that moment between Helen and Eden.
她要是继续这么走来走去的话,我就没法说好这段台词!
I can’t do that speech if she’s going to be fidgeting around upstage!
所以我说我该坐下,那我坐下 – 哦,天哪!
Well, that’s why I think I should sit. I’ll sit. – Oh, God!
西尔维娅绝对不会让她在自己家坐下,她鄙视她!
Sylvia would never ask her to sit in her own house. She despises her!
她不想让我坐,也不想让我站,我大概只好蹲了
She doesn’t want me to sit. She doesn’t want me to stand. I guess I could squat.
戴维,你觉得观众能相信我丈夫
David, do you realize you’re asking an audience to believe that my husband…
会为这女人离开我吗
would leave me for this woman?
算了吧 – 劳驾,劳驾,海伦,我可觉得
Come along. – Excuse me. Excuse me, but I think it’s made very clear…
在那段有关性吸引力的独白里,原因都挑明了
in the speech about erotic attraction, why he does that.
你这傻瓜!他说那段独白时在想我!你到底有没有常识啊?
You fool! He’s thinking of me when he does that speech. Don’t you know anything?
也就是在“肝炎”那句吧 – 喂,我问你
Only the part about the liver spots. – Listen.
你多久没来例假了?
How long has it been since you’ve had a real hemorrhage?
戴维,你觉得现在,我该不该排练一下第二幕的独白?
David, I wonder if now would be a moment to do my soliloquy from Act ll?
你们听见她… – 劳驾,阿司匹林!
Did you hear what she… – Please. Aspirin!
好,好,当然可以,呃…伊甸,休息五分钟吧
All right, yes, why don’t we? And, Eden, just take five.
我需要阿司匹林!
I need an aspirin!
米契
Mitch.
…还有在我减去奥利芙台词的时候…
Then there was the time when I tried to cut one of Olive’s speeches.
我喜欢那段台词,而且我已经记住了 – 但它是赘余的
I like that speech, and I already got it memorized. – But it’s superfluous.
它是…它是什么的? – 呃,我写的太繁琐了
It’s…What is it? – Well, I’ve overwritten it.
在前面你和那位好医生的对话里,我们已知道你对西尔维娅崩溃的看法了
We know how you feel about Sylvia’s breakdown when you talk with the good doctor.
所以说责任在我,嗯,你的表演不错
So it’s my fault. Um, the performance is fine.
但是,呃…我想说这段台词
But, um… I like to say it.
我们…我们不需要它了 – 嘿!
We…We don’t need it. – Hey!
你想减少我戏份吗?
Are you tryin’ to make my part smaller?
没有,没有… – 我的角色已经够小了!
No, no, every… – My part’s small enough as it is!
每个剧本都需要做些删减,角色大小并不是重点
Every play needs some cuts, and the size of the role is not the important thing.
你没听见她的话吗?她不想被剥夺台词!
Did you hear what she said? She doesn’t want her speech taken away from her!
你看,奇契先生,我… – 我自己宁可去打台球
Look, look, Mr. Cheech, I’ve about… – I’d rather be shootin’ crap myself…
可是华先生让我保证她的戏足够多!
but Mr. V. told me that she’s gotta be up there a lot!
剧本是我写的,而且我是导演! – 我不管
I wrote this play, and I’m directing this play! – I don’t care.
你是想在这儿挨揍呢,还是想出去挨揍呢?
You wanna get slapped here or do you want me to take you outside and we’ll straighten this out?
你来决定吧
It’s up to you.
华纳·普赛尔保持着饱满的状态,和工作的热忱
Warner Purcell remains good-spirited and a joy to work with.
而且他那么自律,尽管我发现,他不再只喝热水吃柠檬片了
And what discipline. Although, I notice he no longer has just a cup of hot water and lemon.
如果你从那个水平开始…
lf you start it off at that level…
哦,我们该拿那个养狗的女人怎么办?
Well, what are we going to do about that canine-loving ingenue?
你选她是因为她有魅力吗? – 她挺漂亮…
Did you cast her because you thought she was attractive? – She’s pretty…
但更重要的是,她有和角色对应的活泼气质
but more importantly, she has a certain perkiness that the character requires.
她真活泼,活泼的想让人溜到她背后,拿枕头闷死她
She’s perky. She makes you wanna sneak up behind her with a pillow and suffocate her.
房♥子很漂亮 – 乔赛特
It’s a beautiful apartment. – Josette.
给我拿大杯马提尼 – 你品味真浓烈
My beaker of martinis. – Your taste is exquisite.
我品味是美妙的,我双眼是浓烈的
My taste is superb. My eyes are exquisite.
多么公正的自信!
What justifiable confidence.
我觉得你早晚都要炒掉奥利芙 – 这恐怕不可能
I think at some point you’re going to have to fire Olive. – I’m afraid that’s not possible.
哦,你怎么能让她糟践你的诗篇?我知道我受不了
Oh, how can you take her butchering your poetry? I know I couldn’t stand it.
没有正常人会相信她是医生,即便是兽医
No one in his right mind is going to believe she’s a doctor, not even a veterinarian.
我懂,但这是个我不得不做的妥协…
I understand, but it’s a compromise I have to live with…
如果我想让剧本上演,我就得容忍♥这些
and if I want the play to open, I have to find a way to live with it.
我打算削弱那个角色,如果那保镖能允许的话…
I plan on reducing the scope of her role if her bodyguard will let me.
你觉得那角色可信吗?
Can you believe that character?
想想吧!听从你内心的声音吧
Imagine, traveling with your own private Neanderthal.
易卜生所著
我没意识到《建筑师》,是你首演的 – 哦,好吧
– I wasn’t aware that you opened The Master Builder. – Oh, well.
我忘了你还赢了那项奖
I had forgotten that you won that drama award.
敬你的剧作 – 哦,谢谢,我们的剧作
Here’s to your play. – Oh, thank you. Our play.
敬一个没有妥协的理想国
To an ideal world with no compromise.
哦,我的天,瞧这风景!
Oh, my gosh, look at this view!
那么多盏不灭的明灯,那么多颗破碎的心
A million blinking lights. A million broken hearts.
你知道那下面是什么吗? – 什么?
You know what’s down there? – What?
百老汇 – 是啊,那街道属于你
Broadway. – Ah. That’s your street.
嗯哼,那是我的街道,但我要把它给你
Mm-hmm. Yes, that’s my street, but I’d like to give it to you.
我是说,如果你想要的话 – 谁不想呢?
That is, if you want it. – Who wouldn’t want it?
我要你给我写部剧本,哦,我是说当这个戏完成之后
I want you to write a play for me. Oh, I mean when all this is over.
真的? – 你的下一部剧作,我要你为海伦·辛克莱量身定做一出戏
Really? – Your next play, I want you to create a vehicle for Helen Sinclair.
我很荣幸 – 但它必须有宏大的气魄
I’m honored. – But it must have size…
一个重要的女人
an important woman.
卢克蕾齐亚·博尔吉亚;居里夫人,随你选 – 好的
A Borgia. A Curie. You name it. – Yes!
我会全力以赴的 – 哦,还有那个…
I’ll dedicate myself to it. – Oh, and while you’re at it…
如果你再看一下第二幕的那场戏…
if you could just have a look at that scene in Act ll.
如果她在诱惑中尉时成功了,而不是再次被拒绝…
If she succeeds in seducing the Lieutenant instead of being rejected a second time…

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!