Well steroids occur naturally in very small amounts
但如果再额外加点类固醇
in your system, but by adding just a little bit
你就能改变体能基准状态
of those steroids, you can change your background physical
进而超常发挥
state and increase your chances for enhanced performance
气候变化也正是这个道理
and that’s exactly what happens in the climate system.
温室气体只产生了极少量
Greenhouse gases occur in very small amounts but by increasing
但却因此改变了气象状态
that just a little bit, you change the background state
使之变得更不稳定
of the system and make it much more susceptible
更极端
to increased extremes.
假如你有颗牙齿发炎了
If you had an abscess in your tooth,
你会不会不停地寻找牙医
would you keep going to dentist after dentist
直到有一位牙医对你说
until you found a dentist that said,
别担心
ahhh, don’t worry about it.
留着那颗烂牙吧
Leave that rotten tooth in.
还是你会选择拔掉它
Or would you pull it out because more
因为其他的牙医都告诉你这里有问题
of the other dentists told you you had a problem?
这就像我们对气候变化所采取的措施
That’s sort of what we’re doing with Climate Change.
我们还会就此争论几个世纪
We’ll be arguing about this for centuries.
我们仍在为进化论以及人类是否真正登上月球
We’re still arguing about a minor thing called evolution,
这样的小事而争论不休
a minor thing about whether man actually walked on the moon.
我们没有时间了
We don’t have time.
二号♥引擎油压偏低
We have low oil pressure in engine number two.
我关闭了二号♥引擎
So I’ve shut down engine number two.
只有一个引擎工作 我们不能滑翔
We cannot hover with one engine.
你从那扇窗户望向海水
You look out that window at that sea water
冰山漂浮在上面 然后你意识到
with icebergs floating around in there and you realize if we go
如果走进去 生理机能只维持五分钟
in that, we’ll have five minutes of physical function
十分钟 我们就会死亡
and in 10 minutes we’re dead.
消防员随时待命
The fire brigade will be on standby
以防我们需要帮助
in case we need their help.
他需要完成自己的冒险
He needs to do his adventures.
这才是他
That’s what makes him who he is.
他就是这样一个人 我爱他 嫁给他
That’s who the man is, that’s who I married.
我不会希望彼此更亲密些
Do I wish sometimes that it was closer
每天五点他就按时回家吗
and he would come home at five o’clock?
作为妻子 我当然希望
As a wife, yes.
作为一个普通人 他的工作需要继续
As a human being, it needs to continue, so.
他永远在不断地探索
He’s on this never ending quest for something.
他希望所做的事情
He’s just going and hoping that something
能带他走向正确的方向
that he’s doing is taking him in the right direction
我认为EIS就是这样的一件事
and I think that EIS is it.
他希望产生全球性的影响
He’s looking to make a global, worldwide impact.
我以前从未见他对项目有如此的热情
I’ve never seen him so passionate about a project before.
六个月后
好的 这边走
Alright, this way.
我的工作就是每隔几个月
It’s my job to go out there every couple
去检查一下摄像机
of months to visit the cameras.
确保一切正常
To go over is everything is okay.
这样的情况总是有可能发生
There was always a possibility that this would happen.
一号♥摄像机 冰岛
就是 这一整块一定是被砸了
This just… this whole piece must have cracked off
不知道飞到哪儿去了
in one part; flew off into whoever knows where.
岩石显然没有看过我们的警告信息
The rock obviously did not read our warning.
过去二十四小时只拍了八张照片
It’s only shot eight pictures
这有些奇怪
in the past 24 hours which is somewhat weird.
七号♥摄像机 阿♥拉♥斯加
事实上 这非常奇怪
In fact it’s very weird.
二十三号♥摄像机 格陵兰岛
应该还能继续拍
It… It could still shoot.
加油
Come on, please.
正常工作吧
Please work.
没用了
It’s dead.
肯定没用了
It has to be dead.
好吧 那么
Okay, so…
我们所有尝试都在失败
Everything we’re trying is getting thwarted.
又来了 又是条纹
Again. Zebras again.
二十号♥摄像机 格陵兰岛
我们遇到无数次
We’ve had numerous,
无数次计时器故障
numerous timer failures.
摄像机被埋在十五或二十英尺厚的雪里
We’ve had cameras buried under 15 or 20 feet of snow.
六号♥摄像机 阿♥拉♥斯加
我们遇到过树脂窗口进沙
We’ve had Plexiglas windows sand blasted.
遇到过电池在摄像箱里爆♥炸♥
We’ve had batteries explode inside the camera boxes.
我觉得它是被鸟啄了
I think it’s a bird just kind of pecking away at it.
这个线是被狐狸弄的
This is what a fox does to your cables
在我们没留意的时候
when you’re not looking.
他花了很多钱——政♥府♥补贴
He had spent a lot of many… grants,
自掏腰包 花在阿♥拉♥斯加和格陵兰岛
personal money, getting to Alaska, getting to Greenland
所以去那儿的时候 你希望它们正常运转
and when you go out there, you want it to work,
如果出现故障 庞大的无助感
and when something doesn’t work, you feel so far from anything
就会涌上心头
and anyone that can help you.
我觉得是稳压器的问题
I think It’s in that voltage regulator.
只要一块这么小的电子元件失效
All of that obsession means absolutely nothing
一切痴迷就都毫无意义
if a little electronic piece that big doesn’t work.
如果我没法拍到照片 我就一无所有
If I don’t have pictures, I don’t have anything.
全搞砸了
You know, everything is a failure.
不行 坏了 没法♥正♥常工作
No, it’s dead, it’s not working.
高速运转了一段时间后就坏了
Period, flat out, just dead.
没用了
It’s dead.
上帝啊 我做了这么多
God, after all this!
做了这么多的事 真让我发疯
After all this, it just it makes me insane!
真♥他♥妈♥让人崩溃
It makes me fucking insane!
太让人失望了
It’s so disappointing.
这很痛苦 看着你爱的人
It’s hard to see somebody that you love…
追逐着可能永远实现不了的梦
chase after something that… might not ever happen.
看到那个白色的点了吗
See that white dot down there…
那里有个白色的点
There’s a white dot on the…
计时器出了问题
Something’s happening inside the timer.
经过几个月的检查
After months of trouble shooting,
我们发现主要问题出在
we realized that the core problem was
这个小计时器的稳压器上
in the voltage regulator and in this little computer timer…
定制的计算机计时器告诉摄像机何时拍摄
this custom made computer that told the cameras when to fire.
我们和国家地理的人一起研究
We worked with these guys
我们坐下来
at National Geographic, and we sat down
重新设计控制器
and re-designed the controllers.
我们换了一种全新的电路
We switched to an entirely different kind
耗电更小 更可靠
of a circuit that used less power and is a lot more reliable
因为里面的电路更简单
because it has a simpler electronic circuitry inside it.
这是整个系统的转折点
That was the turning point for the whole system.
我们必须换掉所有旧的计时器
We had to replace all the old timers.
必须等一整个季节 再重新检查
And had to wait for a whole season to check on them again
保证它们正常工作
and make sure they were working.
五个月后
我们快到了
We gotta be getting close.
从这里应该可以看到
We’ll be able to see it from up here.
是的
Yeah.
好的
Okay.
很好 这个很大
Alright. This is the big one.
从这儿开始 回放
Okay, here it goes. Playback.
十五号♥摄像机 格陵兰岛
2008年三月十一日 它刚刚拍了一张
March. 11, 2008. It just shot!
它一整个冬季都正常工作
It’s been working all winter!
太好了 哥们儿
Ahhh man. Hello!
难以置信 它一直正常工作
I can’t believe that worked.
你知道这儿像这么冷有多久了吗
Do you know how cold it’s been out here, for how long?
这真是令人难以置信的惊喜
I’m unbelievably surprised.
我们获得了超过2300张照片
We have over 2,300 frames.
从六月到现在
Since June?
我看看
Let me see.
一切正常
And everything’s working.
十号♥摄像机 阿♥拉♥斯加
一直都在正常拍摄
It’s been shooting the entire time…
太好了
Fantastic.
这是相机的内存卡
Here’s the memory of the camera and this is… actually,
一个有趣的观点是
that’s an interesting thought.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!