面对这样的场景
It’s hard not to be impressed
你很难不被震惊
when you see entire houses being swept away
西部的洪水将整幢房♥子冲走
by flood waters in the West
火势蔓延
Fires stretch from one end
贯穿整个德州
of Texas to the other.
龙♥卷♥风♥
Tornadoes…
目前已有12场龙♥卷♥风♥
a dozen tornadoes have already been spotted
自♥由♥党会说 天气变凉是因为全球变暖
Liberals will say, well if it’s cold,
下雪是因为全球变暖
it’s global warming, if it’s snowing it’s global warming,
天气炎热是因为全球变暖 没有任何证据表明
if it’s hot it’s global warming… there’s nothing
它们确实是由全球变暖引起的
that doesn’t prove that there’s… it’s global warming.
最新估算显示 遭飓风艾琳袭击的地区
The latest estimates for rebuilding from Irene,
重建费已高达70亿美元
already seven billion dollars.
2011年 用于挽救气象灾害破坏的支出
2011 is now on track
将创历史新高
to be the most expensive year ever for weather related damage.
尼泊尔遭遇历史性干旱
A drought of historic proportions has hit Nepal.
熊熊燃烧的野火
The horror
再次给俄♥罗♥斯♥带来恐惧
of raging wildfires has again returned to Russia.
人们都说
They say it was
这样的事前所未有
like nothing they’ve ever seen before.
过去20年内 有16年气温创历史新高
16 of the last 20 years are the hottest on record.
这没有科学依据
The science is not in.
-有 -没有 -斯图尔特别说了
-It is in. -No. -Stuart quit saying that.
-辩论结束 -不 还没完
-The debate is over. -No, the debate is not over.
2002年起 全球就一直在变冷
The globe is actually cooling and has been cooling since 2002.
唯一的共识就是没有共识
The consensus is that there is no consensus.
-我是说你怎么可以不承认 -全球变暖是事实
-I mean how do you not… -global warming… is real.
你好像快要炸了
You’re about to self implode here.
冰冠和极地并不会融化
The ice caps, the poles, are not going
海水也不会淹没海岸线
to melt, the oceans are not going to flood the coast…
我向你们保证 20年后
I promise you, 20 years from today,
笑到最后的人是我
I’ll be the one that’s laughing.
杰古沙龙沙滩 冰岛
最坏的可能是
The worst that would happen is
我若站着不动全身就会被打湿
that I’d just get really wet if I just stood in place.
不止这样
No.
你会摔倒 你试着逃跑
You fall, you try to run, you bang your knee on a piece
摔在冰块上 膝盖骨碎裂
of ice, and you bust your knee.
哎 我必须把它拍下来
Ah, I just… I have to get this picture.
我第一次与詹姆斯共事时
The first time I worked with James,
他的行事态度就很明确
It was obvious how he goes about things, you know?
好了 快点
Alright quickly!
光线不会一直这么好
Cause this light won’t last forever.
他要求很高 有所追求
He pushes it… he’s looking for something.
你车里有绳子
You do have rope in the car?
是的
Yeah.
回去 有什么就拿什么
Go back and get whatever you have.
好的
Okay.
好吧 我
Alright, I’m,
我很可能会被打湿 对吧
I’m almost certain to get wet, Okay?
事实上 这毫无疑问
In fact, I think I’m so certain to get wet,
我得把靴子脱了
I’ll take my boots off.
这很有趣
And it was very interesting
因为这是他第一次以这种方式
because it was his first real encounter
与冰块亲密接触
at looking at ice in that way.
他着了迷
He really did fall in love with it.
那里包罗万象
There’s this limitless Universe of forms out there
如梦如幻 超凡脱俗
That is just, surreal, other worldly.
它们是雕塑 是建筑
Sculptural, architectural…
美得疯狂而离谱
insanely, ridiculously beautiful.
那时我想 冰块里一定藏有
And that’s when I thought, okay, the story is in the ice.
某种不为人知的故事
Somehow.
逐冰之旅
我当时大概25岁
I was umm, about 25 or so, I guess.
即将获得地貌学的硕士学位
And I was finishing my master’s degree in Geomorphology.
而且 我热爱科学
And um, I loved the science,
但我无意于当什么科学家
but I wasn’t interested in being a scientist.
当今的科学界全是数据统计
The modern world of science was all about statistics
电脑模拟 我对那些没兴趣
and computer modeling and that just wasn’t me.
我从没接触过摄影
I had no contacts in the photo world,
对其一无所知
I had no knowledge of the photo world.
但是 年轻气盛的自负能给人极大的能量
But, youthful brashness can take you a long way,
创造奇迹 就是这样
make things happen, so, that’s how it worked.
我想 人与自然的互动
I had this idea that the most powerful issue
是当代的头等大事
of our time was the interaction of humans and nature.
我初期的选题之一涉及到打猎
One of the subjects I started to look at involved people hunting.
但照片血腥 恐怖 惨不忍♥睹
But they were bloody, gory, horrific pictures, hard to look
至今我仍不敢直视
at… hard for me to look at even today.
所以当我有了观察濒危动物的想法时
And so, when I had this idea to look at endangered wildlife,
我意识到必须用一种更性感的方式
I realized that I needed to show these things
来展示这些东西
in a more seductive fashion.
这种方式
I had to look at it in ways
必须能使人参与其中
that would engage people… pull them in.
他总是着眼于全局
He’s always taken the big view.
他看重的不是微小的细节
You know? He’s not looking at this little micro slice.
而是从宏观的角度
He’s really looking at what humanity is doing
观察人类的行为
from a very large perspective.
他的书 迫使你换个角度看待自然
His books… they force you to regard nature in a way
而非用你惯用的眼光
that you’re not accustomed to looking at em.
他迫使你思考
He’s forcing you to think.
他迫使我思考
He’s forcing me to think.
这就是詹姆斯的作品吸引我的地方
And that’s what I love about James’ work.
安塞尔?亚当斯是风光摄影的创始人
You know, Ansel Adams was the father
他掀起了人们探索荒野美景的浪潮
of all landscape photography and he created a movement
而这只有利用影像才能办到
around wilderness that only images could do.
现在 詹姆斯也有同样的视角
And now you have James with that same kind of eye.
但他更懂技术 能做更多
But being able to do more with the technology.
他不仅有爬山攀岩的冲动
It’s not just the drive to climb mountains and hang off cliffs.
更有捕获与表达的能力
He has the ability to capture it in a way and communicate it.
观察和了解是一回事 但分享
Observing it and knowing it is one thing, but sharing it
有效地分享 则能改变世界
and sharing it effectively can change the world.
我花了几年时间
I did a couple years of research
研究气候变化问题
on the climate change story,
试图找到以气候变化为题材
trying to find what you could photograph about climate change
拍摄出有趣的作品的方法
that would make interesting photographs.
最后我发现 对我来说唯一正确的办法
And I eventually realized that the only thing that… to me…
就是以冰为素材
sounded right, was ice.
他找到我们
He came to us with a proposal
提议为冰岛的一片冰川做纪录
to do a profile of one glacier in Iceland.
提议遭到了我们的反对 我们建议
We essentially countered to him, we said, well look,
何不来个更大规模的纪录
why don’t we just do a bigger story.
我们的作品登上了杂♥志♥封面
It was on the cover of the magazine.
成为过去五年最受欢迎 读者最多的作品
Most popular, most wellread story in the last five years.
在拍摄过程中
As I was shooting that story,
我开始有一种强烈的感觉
I started to get the very strong sense
这项工作隐藏着更深层次的意义
that this was a scouting mission for something much bigger,
一份更为长远的蓝图正慢慢展开
and much longer-term that was about to unfold.
我最先注意到的是
The Solheim Glacier, the Sunhouse Glacier in translation,
索海姆冰川和桑豪斯冰川的改变
is where I really first got it.
冰川一年往后退几百英尺
That glacier had been receding several hundred feet a year;
速度惊人
which is a lot.
通常 它们在冬天稍稍前移
You normally have a little bit of advance in the winter time,
夏天稍稍后退
a little bit of retreat in the summer time;
但如果发现这种变化很巨大时
but when you see huge amounts of change,
就超出正常范畴了
that’s outside of normal behavior.
给人一种很真实的感觉 冰川正在消融
There was a real sense of the glacier just coming to an end;
就像一个年迈 衰老的人
and like this old, decrepit man, just, you know,
沉入大地慢慢死去
falling into the earth and dying.
令人思绪万千 感触良多
It was very evocative, very emotional.
我成年生活的大半时间都在登山
As a guy who’s been mountaineering
也受过地球科学方面的教育
for basically my whole adult life, uh, someone whose trained

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!