你好
Hello.
你好
Hello.
他住在阿♥拉♥米达街1712号♥ 你知道那儿吗?
He lives at 1712 Alameda. Do you know where that is?
当然
Sure.
这里是吉蒂斯事务所
J.J. Gittes and Associates.
苏菲 给我叫一下沃尔什 -好的 吉蒂斯先生
Sophie, get me Walsh. -Yes, Mr. Gittes.
杰克?-是的
Jake? -Yeah.
听着朋友 埃斯科巴可能会在5分钟后逮捕我
Listen, pal, Escobar’s going to try and book me in about five minutes.
什么?出什么问题了?
What? What the hell’s the matter? What…
别紧张 先听我说
Relax and I’ll tell you.
去办公室等我两个小时
Wait in the office for me about two hours.
如果这段时间没消息 你就跟达菲到阿♥拉♥米达街1712号♥来找我
If you don’t hear from me, you and Duffy meet me at 1712 Alameda.
天呐 不是在唐人街吗?
Jesus. That’s in Chinatown, ain’t it?
我知道那是什么对方 照办就是了
I know where it is. Just do it.
阿♥拉♥米达街1712号♥
1712 Alameda…
进来 卢
Come on in, Lou.
看来我们都来晚一步 她已经溜掉了
Looks like we’re both too late. She flew the coop.
我猜你并不知道她去哪儿了
I don’t suppose you have any idea where she went.
其实吧 我知道 -哪儿?
As a matter of fact, I do. -Where?
她女佣家 我想她知道要出事了
Her maid’s house. I think she knows something’s up.
那个女佣家在哪儿?
What’s the maid’s address?
在佩德罗区 我写给你
She lives in Pedro. I’ll write it down.
不不不 吉蒂斯 你带我们去
No, no, no, Gittes. You’re going to show us.
为什么?
What for?
如果她不在那里 你就得进局子
Because if she ain’t there, you’re going downtown,
一直待到她出现为止
and you’re gonna stay there until she does show up.
天啊 卢 我尽最大努力了
Gee, Lou, I’m doing the best I can.
我们去圣·佩德罗的路上谈吧
Tell us about it on the way to San Pedro.
我们去抓那个女人 -能帮个忙吗 卢?
Let’s get the little lady. -Lou, can I ask you a favor?
我想自己带她出来
I’d like to bring her out myself.
她手无寸铁 不会出岔子的
She’s not armed or nothing. She won’t be a problem.
我只是想跟她单独呆一会儿 这对她很重要
I just want a minute alone with her. It would mean a lot to her.
对我也是
And to me.
你从来都不会吸取教训 是吗 杰克?
You never learn, do you, Jake?
改不了呐
I guess not.
好吧 不过…
Okay. But…
我给你三分钟
I’ll give you three minutes.
只有三分钟
Just three minutes.
好 谢谢你 卢
Gee, thanks, Lou.
找谁?
Yes?
你好
Hello.
吉蒂斯先生 快请进 太意外了
Mr. Gittes! Come in! Well, this is some surprise, Mr. Gittes.
叫我杰克 你好吗 柯利
Call me Jake. How you doing, Curly?
刚坐下来吃饭 一起吃吗?
Just sitting down for supper. You care to join us?
不了 谢谢
No, thanks.
来杯酒怎么样?
How about a glass of wine?
亲爱的 这位是… -我见识过
Hey, honey, this is the fellow that… -I know.
不了 非常谢谢 不过还是来一杯水吧
No, thank you, Curly, very much, but I would like a glass of water, though.
跟我到厨房♥里来一下
Come on out in the kitchen with me for a second, huh?
当然可以
Sure thing.
柯利 你的车在哪儿?-在车♥库♥里
Curly, where’s your car? -In the garage.
车♥库♥在哪儿?-巷子尽头
Where’s that? -Off the alley.
你能载我一程吗?-行 吃完饭马上…
Can you give me a ride somewhere? -Sure, soon as we eat.
就现在 我等不了了
Right now, Curly. It can’t wait.
我得告诉我妻子 -以后再告诉她 柯利
I’ll tell my wife. -Tell her later, Curl, huh?
头一两个街区开慢一点 懂吗 柯利?
Just drive slow for a block or two, will you, Curly?
发生什么事了?-过了两条街后告诉你
What’s this all about? -I’ll tell you in a block or two.
你欠我多少钱来着?
How much do you owe me?
这个 吉蒂斯先生 我们明天就出海
Gee, Mr. Gittes, we’re going out tomorrow.
我知道你待我好 但我的堂兄奥奇病了
I know you been real good about it, but my cousin Auggie’s sick.
别管了 你愿意捎两个乘客
Forget it. How would you like to pay me off
去恩塞纳达港 以此来抵账么?
by taking a couple of passengers to Ensenada?
今晚就动身 -我想想
You’d have to leave tonight. -I don’t know.
我也许能帮你挤出75美元
I might be able to squeeze 75 bucks out of it for you.
甚至100
Maybe even 100.
加上我欠的?-一笔勾销
Plus what I owe? -I’ll throw that in, too.
阿♥拉♥米达街1712号♥ 在唐人街 等我到八点半
1712 Alameda. It’s in Chinatown. Wait for me until 8:30.
如果我没有出现的话 直接带她们上船
If I don’t show up, take them to your boat.
你确定这样可行吗?
You sure this is okay?
柯利 你知道我♥干♥这一行有多久了
Curly, you know how long I’ve been in this business?
支票准备好了吗 克罗斯先生?我找到那个女孩了
Have you got your checkbook handy, Mr. Cross? I’ve got the girl.
你找到了?在哪儿?
You’ve got her? Where?
还记得我们说好的价钱吗?
Do you remember the figures we discussed?
当然记得 你在哪儿?
Of course I do. Where are you?
在你女儿家 你什么时候能过来?
At your daughter’s house. How soon can you get here?
一小时后
An hour.
哦 你在这儿呢
Oh, there you are.
吉蒂斯先生 我得说 你看上去也没那么糟嘛
Well, you don’t look too much the worse for wear, Mr. Gitts, I must say.
女孩在哪儿呢?-我找到她了
Where’s the girl? -I’ve got her.
她还好吗?-挺好
Is she all right? -She’s fine.
那么 她在哪儿?
Well, where is she?
跟她妈妈一起
With her mother.
我有一些东西想给你看 克罗斯先生
I got something I’d like to show you, Mr. Cross.
什么?
What is it?
讣告栏 这种光线下你能看清吗?
An obituary column. Can you see all right in this light?
我试试吧
I guess I can manage.
什么意思?
What does it mean?
意思是你杀死了霍利斯·穆雷
That you killed Hollis Mulwray.
就在这儿
Right here,
那个池塘里
in that pond.
你淹死了他
You drowned him.
你把眼镜落在了这里
And you left these.
验尸报告表明他的肺里面有咸水
The coroner’s report shows Mulwray had salt water in his lungs.
霍利斯总是痴迷于潮汐池
Hollis was always fascinated by tide pools.
你知道他常说什么话么?
You know what he used to say?
并不知道
I haven’t the faintest idea.
“这便是生命之源”
“That’s where life begins.”
沼泽 潮汐池
Sloughs, tide pools.
我们刚来此地时
When we first come out here,
他发现如果把水引向沙漠
he figured if you dumped water into desert sand
水就会渗进基岩 留在那儿
and let it percolate down to the bedrock, it would stay there
这样就不会像在水库那样蒸发掉
instead of evaporate the way it does in most reservoirs.
最多损失20% 而不是70-80% 他造就了这个城市
You’d only lose 20% instead of 70 or 80. He made this city.
这就是你打算在山谷区要做的事吧
And that’s what you were going to do in the Valley.
没错
It’s what I am doing.
周二债券发行通过后
When the bond issue passes Tuesday,
就会到手八百万美元用来兴建水库了
there’ll be $8 million to build an aqueduct and a reservoir.
我正着手这么做
I’m doing it.
如果市民发现
Gonna be a lot of irate citizens
他们付了钱却没得到水 会被激怒的
when they find out that they’re paying for water that they’re not gonna get.
都在掌控之中
Oh, that’s all taken care of.
你看 吉茨先生 要么你把水运到洛杉矶
See, Mr. Gitts, either you bring the water to L. A.,
要么你把洛杉矶搬到水边
or you bring L.A. to the water.
你怎么搞?
How are you gonna do that?
干脆把山谷区并入城区 就这么简单
By incorporating the Valley into the city. Simple as that.
您身家多少?-我不知道
How much are you worth? -I have no idea.
你要多少钱?
How much do you want?
我不要 只是想知道您身价几何 1000多万?
No, I just want to know what you’re worth. Over $10 million?
哦 能值这么多 -你都富可敌国了
Oh my, yes. -Why are you doing it?
你还能吃的有多好?
How much better can you eat?
你还有什么买♥♥不起的?
What can you buy that you can’t already afford?
未来 吉茨先生
The future, Mr. Gitts!
创造未来
The future!
好了 那女孩在哪儿?
Now, where’s the girl?
我要找到我仅剩的女儿
I want the only daughter I’ve got left.
你也清楚 我早就失去伊芙琳了
As you found out, Evelyn was lost to me a long time ago.
你能怪谁呢?怪她?
Who do you blame for that? Her?
我才不会怪自己
I don’t blame myself.
吉茨先生 大多数人无法面对一个事实
See, Mr. Gitts, most people never have to face the fact
就是在合适的时间和地点
that at the right time and the right place,

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!